Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Issac wrote: »
    Just spoke to my local Gamestop and they will guarantee me a console on launch if I put on a deposit.

They have a pretty good trade in offer as well for anyone looking to get rid of their super slim PS3 as well.

Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and get PS4 for €250
    Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and 2 games from €9.99 list and get PS4 for €190
    Trade in 500gb Superslim PS3 and 4 games from €9.99 list and get the PS4 for €140

Not that I think it'd be wise to trade in your PS3 for quite a while to come but nice to have a decent option.

Quick question on this. If I want to pre-order a PS4 and trade in my PS3 against it, and avail of the above sort of prices (have the regular slim not the super slim) do I need to hand over the PS3 now? Or can I agree my trade in discount and hand over the system closer to launch date?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Faker74 wrote: »
    Quick question on this. If I want to pre-order a PS4 and trade in my PS3 against it, and avail of the above sort of prices (have the regular slim not the super slim) do I need to hand over the PS3 now? Or can I agree my trade in discount and hand over the system closer to launch date?

Cheers

They'll only credit your account when the PS3 is handed over you can't agree to hand it over later, you can bring the PS3 in a day or two before the PS4 launch but you'll only have whatever offers are on at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Varik wrote: »
    They'll only credit your account when the PS3 is handed over you can't agree to hand it over later, you can bring the PS3 in a day or two before the PS4 launch but you'll only have whatever offers are on at that time.

I think a 120gb ps3 slim will bag you about 100 notes in Gamestop store credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

King Krib wrote: »
    I think a 120gb ps3 slim will bag you about 100 notes in Gamestop store credit.

Bit less :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

best of trading your ps3 slim into cex for cash
    and then put it off your pre order in gamestop :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

I had no intention of buying a Playstation 4 until a year or two after release, or when the price was a lot lower.

Anyway, it looks like my PS3 is finished. I've just got the YLOD. This is my third failed PS3 now. Anyone would think it would put me off Sony :D

Anyway, I rang Sony and they've said I can exchange the 60GB one for a refurbished 160GB slim model for €120. So what I'm wondering is, is there any shops that allow you to trade in a 160GB PS3 slim for a reduction in price off the PS4? Obviously, it would need to take over €120 off the price to be worth while. :)

Cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had no intention of buying a Playstation 4 until a year or two after release, or when the price was a lot lower.

Anyway, it looks like my PS3 is finished. I've just got the YLOD. This is my third failed PS3 now. Anyone would think it would put me off Sony :D

Anyway, I rang Sony and they've said I can exchange the 60GB one for a refurbished 160GB slim model for €120. So what I'm wondering is, is there any shops that allow you to trade in a 160GB PS3 slim for a reduction in price off the PS4? Obviously, it would need to take over €120 off the price to be worth while. :)

Cheers

As far as I know, the 60GB is highly sought after for backwards compatibility. You may get more for your 60GB than a 160GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Cheers

Gamestop have an offer on their site, don't have a PS3 so don't know exactly what it is. Best check online on their store

Hadn't planned on getting it until next summer but I figure that if I adopt early then the life cycle as a whole is worth more to me and I'll get more out of it. Now if the hardware fails within a couple of years . . . :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

PS4 up close and personal

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/06/28/playstation-4-up-close-and-personal

How the PS4 came to be :

PS4 looks Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

cloud493 wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't be so excited for this console, cos overhype is always a bad thing but... I am excited :D

Me too!....its torture waiting for it to turn October!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

aindriu80 wrote: »

Such a chill voice.

Just wayched that from start to finish, like a history lesson on games and console development since the late '70's....very informative.

PS4 up close and personal

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/06/28/playstation-4-up-close-and-personal

How the PS4 came to be :

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Just wayched that from start to finish, like a history lesson on games and console development since the late '70's....very informative.
    Just means the PS4 is going back to it's roots again with the developers taking centre stage again!

I like how they acknowledge their mistakes with the PS3 and how they were 99% hardware focused with the devs being somewhat of an afterthought. That didn't go in entirely their favour.

What I was a bit disappointed about is that they could've continued down the proprietary root and churn out a bigger beast of a console at the expense of ease of development as that would give fantastic results, as the PS3 did, given enough work. Naughty Dog and the team behind God of War showed what was possible with enough time devoted to cracking the system, so it does pay off in droves once done right. But then is it worth it in the grand scheme of things if you can't tap out all the power and make use of it very easily? Not really, no.

I expect 1st party games to look fantastic sooner and to get better and better with more time to optimise over the gen as well as 3rd parties having a far easier platform to make the most of too.

Very much looking forward to the console!

^ it comes down to cost, they could have made the CELL 2, but the R&D and associated costs would surely have driven the price of the console up, they couldnt afford another $600 PS3 debacle.

Off the shelf parts reduce cost, guarantee supply and delivery etc. I think the eDRAM idea was very interesting, we'll see what MS can do with its cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Had to go back and play Crash Bandicoot 3 after watching that.

Sony confirm internal PSU, no external power brick: http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/28/sony-confirms-playstation-4-does-not-have-a-power-brick

IGN got a real hands on with the console! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ordered mine with BF4 from Amazon, not in any major rush so I've no problem waiting a day or two (at most) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Ordered mine with BF4 from Amazon, not in any major rush so I've no problem waiting a day or two (at most) :D

Done likewise but with fifa :P

Didn't think I'd buy at launch, couldn't be more excited now

one thing I don't think you get is the stand that allows the PS4 to stand on its side. I see it in the picture above posted but it was extra for the PS3.

confirmed its sold separate, but no pricing; http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/28/shuhei-yoshida-hopefully-ps4s-dualshock-4-analog-sticks-wont-get-slimy-stand-confirmed-separate/

I have always put the consoles flat but standing on its side looks the business. Its probably about €20. One extra that might be worth it is a wireless keyboard/

• Advertisement

I have always put the consoles flat but standing on its side looks the business. Its probably about €20. One extra that might be worth it is a wireless keyboard/

More than likely it can stand on it's own without a stand like the PS3 slim, though there's some wobble and it's not quite 100% safe from tipping over if you hit against it so they won't advertise it standing without a stand.

I'd say it'll be €20 for that stand. Robbery

Re: wireless keyboard, could you not just use any wireless PC one you might have laying around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Re: wireless keyboard, could you not just use any wireless PC one you might have laying around?

You can with the PS3 anyway, I have a Microsoft bluetooth one that works fine. It doesn't work on the 360 though. :rolleyes:

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    More than likely it can stand on it's own without a stand like the PS3 slim, though there's some wobble and it's not quite 100% safe from tipping over if you hit against it so they won't advertise it standing without a stand.

I'd say it'll be €20 for that stand. Robbery

Yes €20 is too much. Its only plastic.

Just using laptops and have no wireless keyboard. So I will get some kind of wireless keyboard on ebay/amazon depending on the browser on the PS4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

TheGunns wrote: »
    Done likewise but with fifa :P

Didn't think I'd buy at launch, couldn't be more excited now

Ditto, thing is I only got a ps3 yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Ditto, thing is I only got a ps3 yesterday :D

Stll plenty of life left in the PS3

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Stll plenty of life left in the PS3

True that, it's almost entirely pointless buying a console within the first 6mths-1yr of it's life as you're essentially a beta tester with an extremely limited range of games to chose from, even from the looking at the "best game ever" thread you can see that no one has mentioned a release game as being one of the best which makes a lot of sense as most release games get forgotten about, simply because not many people own the new console that early in it's life cycle = fewer game sales in the beginning, logically the pubs won't go all out on release games...year one and beyond is when we'll start seeing some classy returns :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

True that, it's almost entirely pointless buying a console within the first 6mths-1yr of it's life as you're essentially a beta tester with an extremely limited range of games to chose from, even from the looking at the "best game ever" thread you can see that no one has mentioned a release game as being one of the best which makes a lot of sense as most release games get forgotten about, simply because not many people own the new console that early in it's life cycle = fewer game sales in the beginning, logically the pubs won't go all out on release games...year one and beyond is when we'll start seeing some classy returns :cool:

I don't really know if you can apply same rule to next gen. We are getting a great list of launch games, which you would buy on original platform anyway. I know a lot of people will buy BF4 and we all know how much better its going to be on next gen. Let alone having 64 people mp compared to 24 one in ps3/360.
    this time around next gen is coming with a huge library of proper games, which will be a huge improvement on old gen. This time around you can buy new gen and enjoy all of the good games from start. It's not a Wii u, wherever still waiting for those "good games".

Edit: I am not saying ps3 is bad. It is still great platform and do well for those who can't afford or don't want to splash out on next gen. I am saying that next gen is coming with great games right on launch and you don't need to wait a year to get a proper game.

A lot of the games I wanted aren't out at launch, but there are some good games I'll pick up. I'll admit nothing so spectacular that I'd say is a must have on either console, but I hope that all changes when Sony get going on announcing the rest of their 20 planed 1st year exclusives they have saved for gamescom and other gaming events.

Atm, I'm going to get killzone and watchdogs and I was thinking of picking up battlefield 4, but I don't want a heap of FPS's. Ideally I would've got the order 1886 and infamous second son at launch.

Still excited about the console though, don't get me wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nice to see they not just focusing on ps4 anyway. Just saw an ad on tv for new and upcoming ps3 games starting with Last of Us. Had Beyond Two Souls, GT6 and, oddly, Splinter Cell

• Advertisement

PS4 to release November 13th

http://www.gadgetgestures.com/sony-playstation-4-release-date-points-to-november-13th/8346878
    ....new rumors point to a November 13th release based on a leaked market-launch schedule of major German retailer Media Market.---

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement