Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sony spokespeople at E3 said that there are 140 PS4 titles in development total, 100 of which will be released in the first year

386216.jpg

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/487038/20130705/playstation-ps4-hands-launch-games-preview-killzone.htm

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/sony-ps4-is-the-most-powerful-gaming-device-ever-conceived-1163886

^ sounds like as vita/ps4 bundle could be coming.....599 imo.

IMGP0243-900-90.JPG

The last PlayStation 4 game we played at E3 was Hohokum, an abstract title that felt as directionless as it was charming. It's like a combination of the PSP's LocoRoco with the classic mobile game Snake. Its visuals and audio drew us in, but without instructions we were left guiding the colorful, serpentine protagonist around aimlessly, followed by fish and stranger creatures.

It was relaxing, to be sure, and it seemed like the kind of unique, artsy game that we've enjoyed before on Sony's PlayStation Network. There's nothing wrong with that, and we look forward to spending more time with it and seeing what it really has to offer. It did nothing to demonstrate the hardware's strengths, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

That article is very negative on the games, as a 360 gamer Killzone and Infamous look amazing to me and the only reason not to buy them would be that they may be on PS+ down the line.

Getting a Vita is very tempting but I've not see any games on it that look good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Unit 13 are all great vita games and they're all free on Ps Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    The sexual tension....

aye.....he's very fond of that controller ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

With hands like that, his gf must be a lucky woman :pac:

I wish theyd show more of the console, iv seen enough of the controller.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The controller is the X1's only strong point, i guess sony are really trying to hammer home that they've done some serious work on their own one :D

cloud493 wrote: »
    Symths have the nav controllers for move for 15e. Cheap enough.

one left on childers road, lmk. one wonderbook for 15 quid left as well.

Scylla wrote: »
    I wish theyd show more of the console, iv seen enough of the controller.

plus one...we need to see the ps4 cracked open, see its mobo and its chips and its layout and design, sick of this dualshock faffing now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

plus one...we need to see the ps4 cracked open, see its mobo and its chips and its layout and design, sick of this dualshock faffing now :rolleyes:

I just wanna see that cool blue light again. I hope it does a little *swoosh* when it gets turned on :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Killzone - trailer at E3 looked awesome, but looking at gameplay, not sure ..

Not impressed with games - they do look great, but I do expect much more from next gen thing .. I guess better games (graphics) are coming at the end of 2014 and in 2015.

To be honest most 'next gen' games - they look like really cool games with extremely balanced graphics on PS3.

I can't wait to see the difference in watch dogs between PS3 and PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

bazzz wrote: »
    Here's another look at video,for those of us who can't stop looking these PS4 "hands on" videos;).

It's actually a bit smaller than the PS3 slim? Impressive engineering there.

Would love to see what the PS4 slim will look like in a few years time.

On a seperate note, I hope you can download movies so easily on the PS4 like the PS3 can on sites like StageVu. Would be a handy feature to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

198321 wrote: »
    Killzone - trailer at E3 looked awesome, but looking at gameplay, not sure ..

Not impressed with games - they do look great, but I do expect much more from next gen thing .. I guess better games (graphics) are coming at the end of 2014 and in 2015.

To be honest most 'next gen' games - they look like really cool games with extremely balanced graphics on PS3.

I can't wait to see the difference in watch dogs between PS3 and PS4.
    I think people forget that they will be getting a jump to 1080p as a/stand art now. It will make a ton of difference.
    Maybe games on next gen consoles wound look as good as what we can get now on PC, but it will be a huge difference from current gen. Even now by looking at the kill zone gameplay video you can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I think people forget that they will be getting a jump to 1080p as a/stand art now. It will make a ton of difference.
    Maybe games on next gen consoles wound look as good as what we can get now on PC, but it will be a huge difference from current gen. Even now by looking at the kill zone gameplay video you can see it.

I agree. The improvement in fourth gen may not feel like a major step compared to 2nd gen but 1080p and better controller are a massive leap. So many (PS3) games are good enough but the controller/game play lets you down and you disengage from the game. Fixing that alone with better resolution and a more accurate controller would make the PS4 incredibly addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I agree. The improvement in fourth gen may not feel like a major step compared to 2nd gen but 1080p and better controller are a massive leap. So many (PS3) games are good enough but the controller/game play lets you down and you disengage from the game. Fixing that alone with better resolution and a more accurate controller would make the PS4 incredibly addictive.

You may want to look into your console generations there. We are on gen 7 now and going into 8. The leap from 6-7 is far greater than the leap we will see going from 7-8 in a few months.

But yes, it is the controller Sony needed to improve, being stuck with same design profile since 1994/1995 was not a good move. The arrival of the Xbox and GameCube controllers in 2000 final showed how dated the PS controller is in ergonomics unless you have small hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

You may want to look into your console generations there. We are on gen 7 now and going into 8. The leap from 6-7 is far greater than the leap we will see going from 7-8 in a few months.

But yes, it is the controller Sony needed to improve, being stuck with same design profile since 1994/1995 was not a good move. The arrival of the Xbox and GameCube controllers in 2000 final showed how dated the PS controller is in ergonomics unless you have small hands.
    He means 4th gen in terms of 3D gaming. There's only been 4 console generations where we've had 3D graphics. EA refers to this as the 4th gen often enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Luckily (unfortunately depending on perspective :P ) I have fairly small hands so the other Dualshock controllers always fit my hand pretty much perfectly. And because of this I didn't like the Xbox controller so I guess it could take a bit of getting used to PS4 for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I was playing bioshock infinite on the ps3 at a friends house last night, I had actually forgotten just how annoying a controller the ds3 is to use...putting the analogue stick placement issue to one side (they'll change that eventually :P), instead of holding the controller I was keeping it in place using the force of my two hands cupping it..I don't have giant shovel hands, but they're not tiny either..and the controller itself just felt so flimsy (not that it is) and cheap...to say i'm excited about the ds4 is a bit of an understatement as it looks to be a mega improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Sort of related to PS4, the PS3 is getting Now TV in the UK so people have access to Sky Sports and Sky Movies so I'd definitely expect a Sky app on the PS4.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/05/now-tv-on-playstation-3/#continued

I know a lot of people siding with Xbox One because they wanted this feature over on the Xbox thread, so this is a good start.

I know a lot of people siding with Xbox One because they wanted this feature over on the Xbox thread, so this is a good start.

...a lot of people....don't know about that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Playstation TV may be coming. No details yet but Sony do own quite a lot of content that they can use for such a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

...a lot of people....don't know about that :pac:

Yeah, might have been an exaggeration, but there was a few.

sony should by all rights add an option in the firmware to switch it off http://uk.gamespot.com/news/playstation-4-controller-light-wont-switch-off-6411117

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Apparently Gamestop in the US have already filled their quota of PS4's and are not taking anymore pre orders!!

Where do yo think the best place to pre order here is, considering Xtra Vision could go tits up anyday?

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1hucbs/gamestops_out_ps4_preorders_have_ceased_as/

sony should by all rights add an option in the firmware to switch it off http://uk.gamespot.com/news/playstation-4-controller-light-wont-switch-off-6411117

I'm laughing at the idea that switching off a dim led light is going to save any noticeable amount of battery life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 iceberger

I was playing bioshock infinite on the ps3 at a friends house last night, I had actually forgotten just how annoying a controller the ds3 is to use...putting the analogue stick placement issue to one side (they'll change that eventually :P), instead of holding the controller I was keeping it in place using the force of my two hands cupping it..I don't have giant shovel hands, but they're not tiny either..and the controller itself just felt so flimsy (not that it is) and cheap...to say i'm excited about the ds4 is a bit of an understatement as it looks to be a mega improvement

I love the Xbox 360 controller and wanted to get the Xbox one, but after seeing and hearing about the DS4 controller, along with the better hardware and lack of spy camera I just pre-ordered the PS4 on Amazon.co.uk

plus its €100 cheaper. Its a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

srumball wrote: »
    Apparently Gamestop in the US have already filled their quota of PS4's and are not taking anymore pre orders!!

Where do yo think the best place to pre order here is, considering Xtra Vision could go tits up anyday?

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1hucbs/gamestops_out_ps4_preorders_have_ceased_as/

Wherever you go now you are gonna have to take a chance, your 6 months behind the rest in pre-ordering

• Advertisement

Now Sony are saying the DS4 lightbar can be turned off, but only by game developers. As in it stays on by default and cant be switched off by the user in the settings menu.
    But if a game gets released and dosent use/need the lightbar the game maker can switch it off: http://news.softpedia.com/news/PlayStation-4-Game-Developers-Can-Turn-Off-DualShock-4-Light-Bar-366717.shtml

While not what the consumer wants, full control...guess its a sorta compromise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement