Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Varik wrote: »
    The PS blog put up a video.

It's one physical PS4 that you nominate as your home console and then you can play on any other console as long as you signed in meaning you need an internet connection, well that sucks.

I still don't think its a problem. You can probably change your home PS4 if your main one breaks. But other than it sorts the problem where people were "stealing" digital content by gamesharing it whilst still allowing you to easily access your digital content on any PS4 like with discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I still don't think its a problem. You can probably change your home PS4 if your main one breaks. But other than it sorts the problem where people were "stealing" digital content by gamesharing it whilst still allowing you to easily access your digital content on any PS4 like with discs.

it's a problem for families, and gamesharing hasn't been a problem since they move to only 2 active PS3s which suited me fine.

it's a problem for families, and gamesharing hasn't been a problem since they move to only 2 active PS3s which suited me fine.

Its not a problem for two PSNs, as every account on the home PS4 of the account that bought said content can play it whilst logged into their account.

So lets say you have two PS4s in your house, two people can be playing the same digital content that was only bought once at the same time.

So lets say you have two PS4s in your house, two people can be playing the same digital content that was only bought once at the same time.

As long as one of them is the purchasing account and that PS4 is online, so that means that 2 kids will need to use their own account on the home PS4 and play dads account on the other which more than likely has access to the more mature games and all the passwords giving and begging that will go with it.

I have 2 PS3s one is a launch model and is always at home in the main sitting room, the other is a slim that I bring with me when needed (usually nowhere near any internet connection). This leave the choice of changing the home PS4 so that I can play mine and hence disabling all content at my actual home.

The current system lets me buy the game and use the 2 licences on 2 PS3s, this suits me perfectly. If the 1 home and 1 signed in setup ends up on the PS4 then I've no reason to be buying expensive digital games, I'll just buy the cheaper disc and bring the 1 or 2 games I want with me and when I need 2 copies of anything I'll just grab 2 used games.

As long as one of them is the purchasing account and that PS4 is online, so that means that 2 kids will need to use their own account on the home PS4 and play dads account on the other which more than likely has access to the more mature games and all the passwords giving and begging that will go with it.

I have 2 PS3s one is a launch model and is always at home in the main sitting room, the other is a slim that I bring with me when needed (usually nowhere near any internet connection). This leave the choice of changing the home PS4 so that I can play mine and hence disabling all content at my actual home.

The current system lets me buy the game and use the 2 licences on 2 PS3s, this suits me perfectly. If the 1 home and 1 signed in setup ends up on the PS4 then I've no reason to be buying expensive digital games, I'll just buy the cheaper disc and bring the 1 or 2 games I want with me and when I need 2 copies of anything I'll just grab 2 used games.

Why can't you just set the PS4 that you use to travel and have no internet as your home PS4, and just always be signed in on the one at home then both consoles would have access to the same digital content.
    The other system was far more limiting because you could only use two PS3s, with this system you can use infinite PS4s though only two at once.

Whilst what your saying is the ideal way to do the system, people were stealing games by letting friends download it on their PS3s and basically duplicating the game.

• Advertisement

They are perfectly right to change their system to better suit themselves and in kind I'll be giving gamestop/other a cut from now on (new or used) instead of them directly just to ensure that the games are not account/console bound.
    Why can't you just set the PS4 that you use to travel and have no internet as your home PS4, and just always be signed in on the one at home then both consoles would have access to the same digital content.

Which needs to be signed on to the purchasing account so no one can use their own account and it's not the nice child friendly account it's the completely unrestricted.
    The other system was far more limiting because you could only use two PS3s, with this system you can use infinite PS4s though only two at once.

You can do that with the old system it took all of 1 steps extra.

Sign-in, activate (it's does this automatically)
    Deactivate
    Sign-out
    Whilst what your saying is the ideal way to do the system, people were stealing games by letting friends download it on their PS3s and basically duplicating the game.

while the old system of 5 activations was ridiculous, the current 2 activation is fine and who in their right mind is giving other people their accounts. Sony can just ban any abuse, and as long as you don't mind being online this new system can be equally abused with 2 consoles getting the content.

Sign-in, activate (it's does this automatically)
    Deactivate
    Sign-out

You can't remotely deactivate an account from a console though, so that makes this system much quicker and easier to use.

You can't remotely deactivate an account from a console though, so that makes this system much quicker and easier to use.

If you're signing in then you're there, or at least the person you trust enough with you account to give them your password is there and can deactivate it themselves. This new setup doesn't let you remotely sign into a console.Where does remotely deactivating the account come in.

Also you can deactivate systems remotely, there's a limit on it as it's server side and as such if you keep the console offline it doesn't know it's deactivated but you get the ?/2 activations back to use again.

If you're signing in then you're there, or at least the person you trust enough with you account to give them your password is there and can deactivate it themselves. This new setup doesn't let you remotely sign into a console.Where does remotely deactivating the account come in.

Also you can deactivate systems remotely, there's a limit on it as it's server side and as such if you keep the console offline it doesn't know it's deactivated but you get the ?/2 activations back to use again.

Lets say you have a console at two different houses. You're account is activated on both of them, but then you go to a third house you can't log into your PS3 in the third house and start playing games. You need to go back to house 1 or 2 to deactivate the console, as it won't just overlap and delete one of them.

With the new system you have house 1 with all your main stuff, and then any other house in the world.

Lets say you have a console at two different houses. You're account is activated on both of them, but then you go to a third house you can't log into your PS3 in the third house and start playing games. You need to go back to house 1 or 2 to deactivate the console, as it won't just overlap and delete one of them.

With the new system you have house 1 with all your main stuff, and then any other house in the world.

You're still limited to using the 1 account and you need to be connected, and I think the majority have spoken on always on requirements.

And you can deactivate a console remotely if you're stuck in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's very confusing. If anyone has a link from a video explaining this please post it.

It sounds very restrictive and requires online capabilities.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Since you can still use your own console exactly as you always could in the past I can't see how this is the case? was how the PS3/x360 handled gameplay restrictive too?

It's very confusing. If anyone has a link from a video explaining this please post it.

It's not confusing at all, and in my opinion is less restrictive than the previous system.

In the PS3 you could buy digital content, and could download that content on any two PS3s in the world and have access to it online or offline. However you couldn't download it on a third PS3 unless you had access to one of the first two to deactivate it.
    The problem with this system is that people were stealing games by letting friends log onto their accounts and duplicate the game.

On the PS4 you have a home console, on this PS4 you download digital content and any account on the PS4 can play it online or offline.
    Then any other PS4 in the world can play the digital content as long as they are signed into the account that bought it.

Since you can still use your own console exactly as you always could in the past I can't see how this is the case? was how the PS3/x360 handled gameplay restrictive too?

The 360 was about the same as the PS4, the PS3 on the other hand was far less restrictive and for most cases didn't leave itself vastly inferior to physical games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Yeah the BF3 example is that instead of working your way up and unlocking the kit for each class, you can buy a shortcut bundle to unlock all the kit.

Oh thanks, I know what you mean now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

The jimmy fallon demo a few weeks ago was shockingly bad compared to the original demo, in places it looked current gen and had a lot of dropped frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I was reading about the next gen consoles being a downgrade from whats currently available on the market according to senior executives making the chips. That is to be expected I guess when you consider the €€€. The eurogamer article was an interesting read but pity they did not have two exact same video segments that matched up for complete comparison. Then you could really work out where the divide is.

Missing some of eye candy you see on the PC version might be hard to take when you compare a PC version to PS4. Or it may just be a case of wow that sure looks nice but I can live without.

There is an awful lot written on the comments on eurogamer but I think it comes down to whether the PS4 will be good enough as a gaming platform. If the console is limited but solid and works well from a physical point of view I would easily forgive graphic shortcomings. The PS3 has too many shortcomings. A tin opener is designed holistically as a tin opener but I could write a fair few pages on what the PS3 does not do. You don't get button lag on a PC for example and that's a simple remedy.

Anyway it all seems early days but I hope the PS4 does it. I can't wait to get my hands on one and see what its like, how it plays and if there is anything you can't do on it or if it screws up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

To be honest, anyone who is a gamer and has at least basic knowladge of pc gaming knew, that there would be no way next gen consoles keeping up even with current PCs power wise. Now this is not a bad thing and it is coming form a mainly pc gamer.
    We need to look at glass half full then half empty. Yes it is not as powerful bla bla bla, but it is a lot damn more powerful then ps3 and 360. Yes, there is still some life left in those consoles, but god, it needs updated hardware. Preorders fully sold out is a good sign of the hunger the gamer has at the moment.

I have luxury of playing BF3 on PC and Ps3. To make comparison better, I can play both of them on 42inch TV. The difference is shocking. Something you dont really notice in youtube videos. Just putting BF4 on 1080p with less texture and poligon pop ups. Little bit better texture quality and you got a damn fantastic game on console. Yes, it wount be as nice looking as high end PC, but god dammit, it will be a fantastic improvement over old gen for not such high price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

sure, pc is much better than console, but is 399 euro PC better than 399 PS4? I doubt it.

If sony, microsoft or nintendo made console with price 2000 euro I am sure it would be as powerful as PC.

I think it's a miracle to run so good looking games on PS3 considering its age. If PC was 5-10 years old .. I doubt new games would run on it even on low details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭jones

Sure look at the last of us on the PS3 now i'm not saying its the pinnacle of graphics ability over PC's but it shows what certain studio's can do with limited hardware.

Imagine what naughty dog and co could do with PS4 hardware 8 gig DRR5 ram etc. i'd like to see that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/16/european-developers-target-playstation-4-over-xbox-one?utm_campaign

Aw, you can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of all people know that.

According to that more publishers are currently developing PS4 games than the XBOX and twice as many are planning on developing one next compared to the XBOX.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Oh please, no more on the PC! WE ALL KNOW!!

Anyone know anything about the PS+ accounts? Your old account works on the new PS4. Can you continue to use your PS3 account and download games on both consoles using the one account??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the PS+ accounts? Your old account works on the new PS4. Can you continue to use your PS3 account and download games on both consoles using the one account??

Yes

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Yes
    Woo! Definitely keeping the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Cienciano wrote: »

Yep, your PS+ account works on both consoles and you can have PS+ on both for downloads.

The PS4 Dev kit specs got leak through the FCC, while dev kits are different to the retail versions some of it is interesting.

The clock speed for instance is listed as a max 2.75GHz, not what we'll get but still it's something new, the max could be lower or less likely it could increase like the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭bazzz

The PS4 Dev kit specs got leak through the FCC, while dev kits are different to the retail versions some of it is interesting.

The clock speed for instance is listed as a max 2.75GHz, not what we'll get but still it's something new, the max could be lower or less likely it could increase like the PSP.

Here's a link to one of the article's on this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement