Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Deffo a headphone jack on the end....but, I wonder if its maybe a combo job?....mic/headphone jack?

Yeah, the 360 controller has something similar in the same location. I would just like a look at the shoulder buttons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Deffo a headphone jack on the end....but, I wonder if its maybe a combo job?....mic/headphone jack?

Mic would be built into the controller so it's probably just a simple headphone jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CastorTroy wrote: »
    They say that button on the left of the touchpad is the possible share button. Would it not just be the select button, since there's a button about the same place on the right?

Of course, how many games actually use the select button?

If the touch pad is also a display, which it might be, then the start and select buttons will live on there i'd say - with developers able to create custom touch button icons for the rest of it. If, and it's a big if, that's the route they're taking it's quite clever for a home system, if not exactly the most original concept ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

If it were to have a touch display, this type of functionality might be possible:

http://i.imgur.com/I0Q3KPD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

some of those pictures look like BMW prototypes where they put all the heavy blocks on top of the new car to disguise it from the public.

I'm sure this has been already noted but :

The new controller should be wider as both your thumbs are crossing over each other.

The two handles(or whatever they are called) that fit into your palm should be longer. It would make it easier to hold and get better access to the buttons & provide better grip. The controller is a bit small at the moment but still better than the current Xbox controller.

I hope they do some work with the analog sticks. At the moment they are pretty insensitive to small movements. They are very high and maybe would play better lower down to the controller. You can't rest your thumbs on the top of them and try to play the game that way, they require a fair bit of force.

As for the D Pad it needs a new one. The new one when pressed should feel definite and separate. Like a key on a laptop. A luxury feel and response would be welcome. Coupled with a fast O.S it would make things so much quicker.

The select and start buttons feel ugly to use and rarely work first time when playing games. Maybe that touch pad will solve that problem.

The new controller has to be made from premium components that feel good when pressed and don't feel like a toy. It might cost more to get a second one but you could justify having a cheaper back up controller.

2/c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

shuffles03 wrote: »
    If it were to have a touch display, this type of functionality might be possible:

http://i.imgur.com/I0Q3KPD.gif

How long would the batteries last then though. Cool idea but look at the WiiU's controller with its big touch screen, the battery life is very poor. You need to charge it every time you finish using it. I get a week with what I consider heavy'ish usage out of the DS3 and that's very good I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Sony releasing videos on youtube every day building up to the announcements, so far:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

COYVB wrote: »

If the touch pad is also a display, which it might be, then the start and select buttons will live on there i'd say - with developers able to create custom touch button icons for the rest of it. If, and it's a big if, that's the route they're taking it's quite clever for a home system, if not exactly the most original concept ever

Wow I'd never thought of it but I think I touch screen on the controller which developers could make use of would be great!

Would be a great place to have, for example, different inventory options (or even a live inventory!) without the need to go through menus.

I know that kind of thing is probably standard on the DS but it would be very interesting on a home console.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

NOT LONG TO GO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think I'm official aboard the hype train :D

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    I think I'm official aboard the hype train :D

Only 3 more sleeps! Yes, I'm 29.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Only 3 more sleeps! Yes, I'm 29.

One sleep if you're an insomniac. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

All this talk of touchscreens in the controllers.... I'm not convinced. I don't want anything in the controller which will drive up the cost or drive down the battery life. Just give me a bog-standard controller at a price whereby I can justify buying four of them please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Beefy78 wrote: »
    All this talk of touchscreens in the controllers.... I'm not convinced. I don't want anything in the controller which will drive up the cost or drive down the battery life. Just give me a bog-standard controller at a price whereby I can justify buying four of them please.

Touchpad, not touchscreen, won't effect battery life as much as a screen, if at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Beefy78 wrote: »

Driving up the costs? Controllers are the biggest rip off with the highest mark up ever!

Look at the current controllers, still about €50. The systems have all come down in price substantially, but they haven't. I'd say they cost very little to make at this stage in comparison to their retail price.

I'm very confident the price will remain the same price next gen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Seems about right considering the austere times we are living in.

I remember scraping together every cent I had to afford the PS3 on launch day.

I really hope they do that. Even if its a similar pricing structure to the PS3, and its a small hardrive, long as we can upgrade it ourselves, thats fine.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

F1ngers wrote: »
    One sleep if you're an insomniac. :p

Or really really tired...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Anyone know what time the press conference is being streamed on Wednesday?

11PM our time isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Anyone know what time the press conference is being streamed on Wednesday?

11 pm here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

where can we watch it? im sure someone will be posting a link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MarkY91 wrote: »

I think the PlayStation blog will have it.

There'll be no end of sites offering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

MarkY91 wrote: »

I think IGN will be live streaming it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Will we be able to watch it afterwards, like on Thursday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Gametrailers are streaming it and they usually have solid streams.

Peanut butter jelly - Again, GT usually post the recording of the whole event after the streaming is done. So you should be able to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

actually really looking forward to wednesday night :)

a look at the console, release date and a presentation on what kind of graphics to expect and im a happy camper

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement