Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The days of game shortages are long gone. Does not happen anymore except for Wrath of the White Witch a few months back.

The Last of Us could be played while it downloaded on the PS3, the first game to feature that but it cost €10-€15 more than a physical copy.

The last game I remember selling out was GTA Vice City. Had to wait 2 weeks to get a copy of that because I didn't pre-order.

The last of us was sold out everywhere. It took me nearly 2 weeks to get a hold of it through amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

1ZRed wrote: »
    The last of us was sold out everywhere. It took me nearly 2 weeks to get a hold of it through amazon.

I just walked into my local Gamestop on the evening of release day and they still had plenty of copies. I was asked did I pre-order and I thought they were out but he said no there is "loads" left, it was just for free DLC if I did pre-order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I just walked into my local Gamestop on the evening of release day and they still had plenty of copies. I was asked did I pre-order and I thought they were out but he said no there is "loads" left, it was just for free DLC if I did pre-order it.

Yeah i did the same but i guess maybe around the country there was differing demands,

Not in my case. I went to both smyths and gamestop and they were sold out in the afternoon of release. Came back in the following Wednesday and they were all gone again. The only way you could get one was through a pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

cadete wrote: »
    Yeah i did the same but i guess maybe around the country there was differing demands,

True, there are two Gamestops near me, both within 2km, there used to be 2 XtraVisions too but they are gone.

I'm guessing the city centre stores sold out with people pre-ordering and picking up the games on their way home from work or on their lunch breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Took me more than a week to get The Last of Us since I don't do downloads. The last game I couldn't get for ages was GTA San Andreas, I'd say that took nearly a month to get. Which is why I'll pre-order the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

found out the xtravision i preordered with is closing down. where now should i preorder? ill be in town on tuesday.

also, can i get my 10 euro preorder back? surely they cant deny me of my own money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

MarkY91 wrote: »
    found out the xtravision i preordered with is closing down. where now should i preorder? ill be in town on tuesday.

also, can i get my 10 euro preorder back? surely they cant deny me of my own money?
    miralize wrote: »
    Will Xtravision still be around by November though?

Replied to you on the 12th of June :pac:

But seriously, that sucks. You should ask them as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They can pass you off to another store, wouldn't say they have to give it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

miralize wrote: »
    Replied to you on the 12th of June :pac:

But seriously, that sucks. You should ask them as soon as possible.

yeah i remember someone syaing this lol. i feel stupid now.

Varik wrote: »
    They can pass you off to another store, wouldn't say they have to give it back.

surely ill at least get a credit note, may aswell buy a game out of it in their
    closing down sale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ask them then! My hunch is it the light moves across the strip when you press the button to turn it on and then it just goes back to the same position we've seen in pictures.

Such a stupid thing to be thinking about, but sure that's what OCD is for I suppose!

I wasn't allowed to see the console. It was under a box that had a crudely printed out warning saying "Warning: Poisonous Snakes Inside. Do Not Open!" which was pretty funny

Absolutely love the Digital Extremes guys, they're my new favourite developer (may be something to do with the fact that they fed us, brought us into a theatre to play Warframe on a 20 foot screen and then talked about whatever we wanted, very candidly, for 3 hours)

COYVB wrote: »
    I wasn't allowed to see the console. It was under a box that had a crudely printed out warning saying "Warning: Poisonous Snakes Inside. Do Not Open!" which was pretty funny

Absolutely love the Digital Extremes guys, they're my new favourite developer (may be something to do with the fact that they fed us, brought us into a theatre to play Warframe on a 20 foot screen and then talked about whatever we wanted, very candidly, for 3 hours)

But did you ask?

Infamous second son has a the soldiers (DUP) scanning people at checkpoints to find conduits (Bio-terrorists), the device they use scans or gets a sample from the peoples fingers so as with most launch game they've put in one of the new console/controller features.

In this case when you have to be scanned in the game you place your finger on the touchpad to let it scan you.

But did you ask?

Signed an NDA on all that stuff I'm afraid

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Infamous second son has a the soldiers (DUP) scanning people at checkpoints to find conduits (Bio-terrorists), the device they use scans or gets a sample from the peoples fingers so as with most launch game they've put in one of the new console/controller features.

In this case when you have to be scanned in the game you place your finger on the touchpad to let it scan you.
    That seems utterly pointless and pretty irritating if they do it a lot.

One thing I liked about the touch pad was its ability to be used as a mouse analog for menu screens. Can't see many people actually using it, but it will make certain things a bit easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

One thing I liked about the touch pad was its ability to be used as a mouse analog for menu screens. Can't see many people actually using it, but it will make certain things a bit easier

Is the vibration better than the DS3??

I genuinely couldn't tell you. I never even noticed

Signed an NDA on all that stuff I'm afraid

thumb_1603_story_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

http://www.zdnet.com/cn/china-confirms-foreign-game-consoles-can-now-be-sold-7000018098/

'China confirms foreign game consoles can now be sold'

Great news for console gaming! More people online and keeping the gaming market buzzing after alot of other scaremongering articles I have read about casual gaming causing the downfall of consoles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

How did you find the new controller? improvement or much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jaffusmax wrote: »
    http://www.zdnet.com/cn/china-confirms-foreign-game-consoles-can-now-be-sold-7000018098/

'China confirms foreign game consoles can now be sold'

Great news for console gaming! More people online and keeping the gaming market buzzing after alot of other scaremongering articles I have read about casual gaming causing the downfall of consoles!

Its great news, but that does not mean consoles will be main stream in there. Back in Lithuania we had PS2 and ps3/xbox360 officially launched, but those were dwarfs compared to PC gaming. It never picked up and I doubt it will. The value in there is rubbish. I still remember ps2 games costing 200lt. Minimum wage was 450lt per month. That was about 120eu.
    In Chine they are all about MMorpgs and Free to play. Damn, they are even getting Monster Hunter online on PC there!

In China they are all about MMorpgs and Free to play. Damn, they are even getting Monster Hunter online on PC there!

The PS4 has about 5 F2P games at launch. This will likely please those in Hong Kong, they won't have to fight with a load of mainland chinese over the consoles when launched like they usually do.

Sony were getting somewhere with getting the PS3 officially launched but I think we can attribute this win to MS, as soon as China heard that the ONE was always online and had a camera they were all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

The PS4 has about 5 F2P games at launch. This will likely please those in Hong Kong, they won't have to fight with a load of mainland chinese over the consoles when launched like they usually do.

Sony were getting somewhere with getting the PS3 officially launched but I think we can attribute this win to MS, as soon as China heard that the ONE was always online and had a camera they were all over it.

even though im getting the ONE for now
    i have to admit i didnt think china would go near the ONE or even the goverment would allow it to be sold in their country
    considering MS is American and all the news about NSA and all that crap
    thought ps4 would be all over the country without a doubth

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    even though im getting the ONE for now
    i have to admit i didnt think china would go near the ONE or even the goverment would allow it to be sold in their country
    considering MS is American and all the news about NSA and all that crap
    thought ps4 would be all over the country without a doubth

I always though China and Japan are at each other throats? Same way Japan market calls Xbox "western dog ****", Chine might be against Japan stuff.

Ps4 does come over with free to play games, but keep in mind. PS4 is not a cheap piece of equipment. Specially in country like China. China has a huge PC scene and Internet cafe culture. Thats where they go play their games.

I am not saying that consoles will be complete failure in China, I am just saying that I would not expect it to do as well as some people might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Even if they only get a small share of the market, the sheer number of consumers in China should mean a significant boost to sales.

I always though China and Japan are at each other throats? Same way Japan market calls Xbox "western dog ****", Chine might be against Japan stuff.

The whole China vs Japan things is the same as everywhere else, the other side is the enemy as long as it suits them. Some chinese would be out shouting about the evil japanese empire and their terrible deeds but the same people would trade an arm and a leg for a Japanese car over a domestic one.
    Ps4 does come over with free to play games, but keep in mind. PS4 is not a cheap piece of equipment. Specially in country like China. China has a huge PC scene and Internet cafe culture. Thats where they go play their games.

I am not saying that consoles will be complete failure in China, I am just saying that I would not expect it to do as well as some people might think.

The gray market stuff does well enough over there and €400 is not to be thrown around here either. There's plenty of people to sell to that can afford it in a country the size of China and there's plenty of people buying luxury goods.

The whole China vs Japan things is the same as everywhere else, the other side is the enemy as long as it suits them. Some chinese would be out shouting about the evil japanese empire and their terrible deeds but the same people would trade an arm and a leg for a Japanese car over a domestic one.

The gray market stuff does well enough over there and €400 is not to be thrown around here either. There's plenty of people to sell to that can afford it in a country the size of China and there's plenty of people buying luxury goods.

2+2=4 yes.

They will sell some consoles in Chine = yes.

Will it be as popular as in Western world? I really dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's all about the "Funstation" in China

New_PS-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's all about the "Funstation" in China]
    Fudge that just canceled my PS4 order and getting me a FUNSTATION 4

BRUCE-LEE-APPROVES-GIF.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement