Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

Well its good that its there for people that want it and that it isnt necessary for the people that dont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Beefy78

true, thought i was odd. prefer a good session playing what the AI/ storyline has to offer. those pro's on FPS's or those who play 90MPH FIFA wreck my head.

No, you're not odd, that's how 90%+ of gamers probably feel. But this is adding something for those who do want it without taking away from those who don't. Plus you don't know how you'd use the functionality until it's there. I stumbled into playing a lot of Clubs on FIFA this gen and this feature would have been great for that, for example.

No one is going to take your PS+ membership away if you don't upload 18 videos to Youtube in the first year. But if something cool happens and you want to record it for posterity or to show your friends you can now do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭Varik

FCC

For the retail version this time rather than the Dev kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Varik wrote: »
    FCC

Based on a cursory reading of NeoGAF, the PS3 was submitted to the FCC in September, so an October release is looking more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

FCC

Something kind of weird I noticed -there's two models with one being made in China and the other Japan, both manufactured May 2013. It's probably been in production since then, which given it's November release (most likely) would mean a feck of a lot of consoles indicating a global launch more than likely.

Plus if they're being made in China and Japan I'd rather the one made in Japan for better quality control purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Anybody know the situation with pre orders here?? Are we out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Beefy78 wrote: »
    No, you're not odd, that's how 90%+ of gamers probably feel. But this is adding something for those who do want it without taking away from those who don't. Plus you don't know how you'd use the functionality until it's there. I stumbled into playing a lot of Clubs on FIFA this gen and this feature would have been great for that, for example.

No one is going to take your PS+ membership away if you don't upload 18 videos to Youtube in the first year. But if something cool happens and you want to record it for posterity or to show your friends you can now do so.

true, i've not had a PS+ membership yet, but looking at some of the games they lump in as part of it i will get it for PS4. i will want to play buddies in FIFA 14 alrite, so will need it for that too.

as regards sharing on youtube? it would want to be something fairly spectacular for me to youtube it, a John O'Shea goal in FIFA or something might get me sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

srumball wrote: »

Stores have been taking pre-orders since february and are still taking them, none of the stores are saying the are sold out, but it is very up in the air as far as how many consoles they will actually get in, it will be majorly unlikely that everyone that has pre-ordered will get one on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

srumball wrote: »
    No one knows. Depends how many the shops get. The closer to the top of a list you are, the better chance you have of getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

FCC

Just sow it gametrailers too:

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/57368/its-happening-a-cooler-playstation-4-passes-fcc

Clock speed at 2.75ghz and really damn low temperatures. It weights half of what ps3 does. That is some impresive stuff. It should be very quiet machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

There be some witchcraft in the engineering of that there machine

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just sow it gametrailers too:

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/57368/its-happening-a-cooler-playstation-4-passes-fcc

Clock speed at 2.75ghz and really damn low temperatures. It weights half of what ps3 does. That is some impresive stuff. It should be very quiet machine.

There is no way that is its operating temperature. It's more than likely the recommended ambient temperature of the room it is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There is no way that is its operating temperature. It's more than likely the recommended ambient temperature of the room it is in.

Considering how hot some smart phones get I'd say you are bang on.

It says operating temperature in document itself. So article quoted it. 35 degree sounds very low, I agree, but we are not talking about power house like pc cpus are. The whole body of machine is one big heatsink too. They definitely had some time on engineering ps4.
    Who knows, it might be true. I would still expect to be lower then ps3.

Considering how hot some smart phones get I'd say you are bang on.

Smartphones don't have the luxury of heatsink and airvents. Naturally heat will be noticed. we have a very small space to work with in mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Smartphones don't have the luxury of heatsink and airvents. Naturally heat will be noticed. we have a very small space to work with in mobile phones.

True but smart phone don't have GPUs or APUs and mechanical HDDs and Bluray drives generating heat either. Never mind the internal PSU and the watts that's pulling granted they will be very low compared to the PS3. 5C-35C sounds amazing, almost too good to be true. No fear of PS4s overheating anyway.

A similar spec PC right now would generate far more heat and draw far more wattage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It says operating temperature in document itself. So article quoted it. 35 degree sounds very low, I agree, but we are not talking about power house like pc cpus are. The whole body of machine is one big heatsink too. They definitely had some time on engineering ps4.
    Who knows, it might be true. I would still expect to be lower then ps3.

If we were talking about a standard off the shelf jaguar based processor then maybe but this is a custom unit with a pretty beefy GPU plus an internal PSU. Running all that at full load and keeping it under 35 degrees. I don't see it happening. An ATI 7850 (which is similar in performance to the PS4 GPU) idles at about 30 degrees and can reach over 70 degrees fully loaded. I can't see how AMD can all of a sudden bring that down to between less than 5 at idle and less than 35 fully loaded. Even if you just assume everything else in the system is not producing any heat it's still a big stretch to think AMD can reduce thermals that much.

Given the range it seems a lot more likely to me to be the ambient temperature. Anything hotter that 35 degrees and it inhibits the systems ability to sufficiently cool itself meaning it will have to throttle things back. Any lower than 5 degrees could cause stability issues.

They say 35 degrees max. I agree, sounds too good to be true, but we will see. hdds not generating that much heat at all. Power supply most likely will be not powerful. So some sort of fanless contraption. That's not going to generate much heat. Ram is not generating heat like crazy too.

Keep in mind lads, we are talking about fixed hardware. The case will be as efficient as physically possible. It's not custom case with custom parts etc. Again, we are not talking about super powerful hardware lads.

35 degrees might sound okay, but 45 would be more believable. What really sounds impossible is 5 degrees standby. As it will mean you can use your ps4 as beer fridge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

5-35 degrees probably means the unit temp when idling, ie just on the main PS4 menu, not doing anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

An ATI 7850 (which is similar in performance to the PS4 GPU) idles at about 30 degrees and can reach over 70 degrees fully loaded. I can't see how AMD can all of a sudden bring that down to between less than 5 at idle and less than 35 fully loaded.

I think the figures you're giving for the 7850 are the on-chip temps? The only thing that makes sense is if the PS4 range of 5-35 is for some other point inside the case, or possibly even an exterior temp of the case itself.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    I think the figures you're giving for the 7850 are the on-chip temps? The only thing that makes sense is if the PS4 range of 5-35 is for some other point inside the case, or possibly even an exterior temp of the case itself.

That would make more sense. They do list those tempretures same place where they list dimensions etc. So you could be 100% right.

I think the figures you're giving for the 7850 are the on-chip temps?

Yeah, they are.
    The only thing that makes sense is if the PS4 range of 5-35 is for some other point inside the case, or possibly even an exterior temp of the case itself.

Those temperatures would be vary wildly depending on external factors. Put the PS4 close to the back of the cabinet where ventilation is a lot more limited and the temperature will be way higher than one with more room at the back. I don't see any reason why they'd include these temperatures in an FCC filing. The only ones that would make sense to include is the temperatures on die or the recommended ambient temperatures.

As I said above, the temperature range quoted seem to be about right for the ambient temperatures a device like this should operate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

apologies if this was up already, some PS4 OS screenshots, had seen some through videos already, but one or two on their video editing and screenshot sharing are new to me, if you're into that kinda thing! looks sleek!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?id=306650&mode=gallery&ids=306650,306649,306648,306647,306646,306645,306644,306643,306642,306641,306640,306639

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I hope there's an option to turn off all of the sharing and online connectivity. While you don't have to use it, going by the above screenshots, the interface would look far more streamlined without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

sin0city wrote: »
    I hope there's an option to turn off all of the sharing and online connectivity. While you don't have to use it, going by the above screenshots, the interface would look far more streamlined without it.

I'm with you on that one. Personally I think there is too much going on with the ps4 menu, way prefer the ps3 interface. I hope you can edit it to your own needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

2.75Ghz is the max it could go to...no way we'll see those clocks speeds on retail units. 1.6 - 2.0Ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So 4.5GB of the PS4's 8GB GDDR5 memory pool is guaranteed to game developers right now, and an additional 512MB of physical RAM may be available in addition to the 4.5GB

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Xenji wrote: »
    So 4.5GB of the PS4's 8GB GDDR5 memory pool is guaranteed to game developers right now, and an additional 512MB of physical RAM may be available in addition to the 4.5GB

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

Xbox fanboys will go nuts over this lol. 4.5gb is still a lot for game developers to work with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

3 GB is a lot for an OS. I'd be expecting it to be extremely fast and smooth with that behind it.

• Advertisement

Xbox fanboys will go nuts over this lol. 4.5gb is still a lot for game developers to work with though.

You know with fanboys - Everything goes. Even so, not much to brag about it, Xbox one OS takes same amount for OS.
    I still find it a bit "much" for OS. Consoles were always about optimisation and this looks crazy amount of ram for a very simple OS. PC OS takes less then 1gb these days and has a lot more functionality.

The info is very slim at this stage too. Most likely it is after all only a reserve. OS it self might be taking only 1gb and has 2gb space for when it has way too much stuff going on at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement