Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Resources are in continual use for recording video to, worth keeping in mind for overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

DDR5 is also extremely fast, compared to the X1's GDDR3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

i dont get that gameplay recording .. why? Some people will use it, but i've never heard anybody asking for it. Hope it can be turned off .. to not waste memory ..

just so I can share my gameplay on facebook?

Youtube is going to be flooded with stupid clips from ps4 gameplay and I doubt anybody is going to watch it or care

198321 wrote: »
    i dont get that gameplay recording .. why? Some people will use it, but i've never heard anybody asking for it. Hope it can be turned off .. to not waste memory ..

Youtube is going to be flooded with stupid clips from ps4 gameplay and I doubt anybody is going to watch it or care

You'd be surprised by how big the game commentary/ lets play community is even now, before its even a part of consoles. It makes sense.

I'd imagine it would also help game developers filter out bugs, if players could just show them what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

it doesn't use YouTube, it uses another service I can't remember. Anyway it's compulsory for developers so we'll have to suck it up and get used to it

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    it doesn't use YouTube, it uses another service I can't remember. Anyway it's compulsory for developers so we'll have to suck it up and get used to it

UStream, but you have to assume that you will be able to save the videos and/or upload to Youtube. Xbox uses Twitch.tv, which is a dedicated game streaming site. Ustream have everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Hope it can be turned off .. to not waste memory ..

There's no point. If it can be turned on, then the resources must be reserved for it and game developers can't use them.

Btw, the same applies to the rest of the 3.5GB of RAM being reserved for the "OS". It won't be in use by anything 90% of the time, but it's possible that at some point down the line there will be apps or service or something that will use those resources, therefore they're being ringfenced now so that games can't use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

COYVB wrote: »

shuhei yoshida mention Youtube when talking about it, it may not be supported at launch but it's likely going to be at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Xenji wrote: »
    So 4.5GB of the PS4's 8GB GDDR5 memory pool is guaranteed to game developers right now, and an additional 512MB of physical RAM may be available in addition to the 4.5GB

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

**PS4 pre-order cancelled**

Gamestop are taking preorders in the US again....my local GS in the Pakrway have only 30 preorders left, and William Street stopped taking preorders last week.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/27/4562786/playstation-4-pre-orders-available-again-at-gamestop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The O.S is too big. Looks like Sony Engineers will be spending the next few years making it smaller and working out how to get the most out of the machine but at the moment its too big. Still fast switching and response is something I really want from the PS4 and I am happy enough with whats on screen with the PS3 so its no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

aindriu80 wrote: »
    The O.S is too big. Looks like Sony Engineers will be spending the next few years making it smaller and working out how to get the most out of the machine but at the moment its too big. Still fast switching and response is something I really want from the PS4 and I am happy enough with whats on screen with the PS3 so its no big deal.

I remember it being mentioned around the first reveal that seeing that the PS4 is using something close to PC architecture, that they can update and patch the hardware fairly easily and due to this the console will always be evolving and that you may not see the best out of it for years, so I am sure the OS will get more streamlined as time passes and games will have more access to ram.

Xenji wrote: »
    I remember it being mentioned around the first reveal that seeing that the PS4 is using something close to PC architecture, that they can update and patch the hardware fairly easily and due to this the console will always be evolving and that you may not see the best out of it for years, so I am sure the OS will get more streamlined as time passes and games will have more access to ram.

Exactly....the OS footprint could reduce in size over the years, at least based on the PS3 experience. Though they may have set in stone this reserves 3GB OS size for future updates.....they've set 4.5GB in stone for games, that extra 500mb or the page file could go up in the coming years as the PS4 OS matures and the code gets refined.

Still 3GB is alot....it could be 1GB for this HD 15 min streaming stuff, HD images, background downloads and streaming vids buffered etc.

It does seem that both the X1 and PS4 OS will be very closely matched, i'd say the tv stuff will deffo be a big part of the PS4....its just Sony saw what happened to MS and decided to downplay this aspect.

More and more BOTH consoles appear more evenly matched as time goes by........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/sony-confirms-playstation-4-developers-can-use-flexible-memory-6412151

Sony have responded to the rumours about the ps4's ram. See article above

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-01-playstation-4-will-be-playable-at-eurogamer-expo-2013

I had mentioned in another post that I'm going to the Eurogamer Expo 2 days this year, they just announced some of what is gonna be there and PS4 is one of them!! Excited is not the word, can't wait to get my hands on it!
    I'll prob have to queue for 5 hours but what harm, I'll be sure to let you guys know how I get on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-01-playstation-4-will-be-playable-at-eurogamer-expo-2013

I had mentioned in another post that I'm going to the Eurogamer Expo 2 days this year, they just announced some of what is gonna be there and PS4 is one of them!! Excited is not the word, can't wait to get my hands on it!
    I'll prob have to queue for 5 hours but what harm, I'll be sure to let you guys know how I get on! :D

Same as. Heading Thursday-Saturday. If I can get an hour or 2 over the space of the 3 days, I'll be delighted. Was at the EG expo a few years back, and it was a fantastic experience. I'd imagine it's only improved since :)

Same as. Heading Thursday-Saturday. If I can get an hour or 2 over the space of the 3 days, I'll be delighted. Was at the EG expo a few years back, and it was a fantastic experience. I'd imagine it's only improved since :)

This will be my third year in a row going, will be going Thursday & Friday, got the early entry tickets 10-7, ill be heading straight for PS4!
    Yeah it's meant to be the biggest year yet, they will be using 2 floors of earls court this year.
    Developer sessions are great too went to the Naughty Dog 1 in 2011 and met Nolan North, it was great, he's a really nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

This will be my third year in a row going, will be going Thursday & Friday, got the early entry tickets 10-7, ill be heading straight for PS4!
    Yeah it's meant to be the biggest year yet, they will be using 2 floors of earls court this year.
    Developer sessions are great too went to the Naughty Dog 1 in 2011 and met Nolan North, it was great, he's a really nice guy.

I wish i were going! Good luck! Let us know how the new PS4 controller feels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Argh! I'm so jealous! I didn't even know that happened. I was there in 2010 I believe. Saw Molyneux, and went to the Media Molecule session. Can't wait to see who they've got lined up this year.

Would love to see the likes of Ken Levine or Amy Hennig give a talk.

Oh, nice one on the early tickets, I've to make do with regular entry. Early entry is a necessity if you want to get to the first dev session!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Currently living in Oz and coming home for December. If I pre order a playstation in ireland now, is it defo going to be out before christmas?!
    Do they have a date.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

colman1212 wrote: »
    Currently living in Oz and coming home for December. If I pre order a playstation in ireland now, is it defo going to be out before christmas?!
    Do they have a date.
    Cheers.

It's definitely out, no release date yet. All we know is "holiday season".
    Around November seems to be what most people believe will be release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

colman1212 wrote: »
    Do they have a date.
    Cheers.

While it's pretty much definitely going to be out before Christmas, you may have left the pre-order a bit late to be guaranteed one. It might depend on when they get the 2nd batch out. A lot of posters here have reported shops stopping taking launch day orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Like launch day Sony will be rushing to get consoles ready for Xmas. They will be available for Xmas but get your order in ASAP to be guaranteed one. I'm going to wait until next year to get mine. The initial line up doesn't really pull me plus I've my final exams next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

GTAV was going to be the decider for me. Since it's PS3 only, I'm not getting a PS4 until well into next year at the earliest. GTAV will keep me going for months and none of the titles announced thus far for PS4 have me interested enough to buy a new console for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    GTAV was going to be the decider for me. Since it's PS3 only, I'm not getting a PS4 until well into next year at the earliest. GTAV will keep me going for months and none of the titles announced thus far for PS4 have me interested enough to buy a new console for.

Battlefield 4 was the decider for me to get the PS4 this year. I plan on playing that mostly and will pick up GTAV and Dark Souls 2 when they drop in price sometime next year!

Great time to be a Gamer :D:D:D:D

PS4 playable at Eurogames expo...so we have two events in August. Hopefully not dev. kits but actual retail units. Sure we'll have a ton of new info by the end of the month:

PS4 playable at Eurogames expo...so we have two events in August. Hopefully not dev. kits but actual retail units. Sure we'll have a ton of new info by the end of the month:

Posted this yesterday Richard :) The Expo is the end of September and I expect they will have the retail units like they did for Wii U last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

isn't gamescom in cologne a bigger deal than eurogamer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

isn't gamescom in cologne a bigger deal than eurogamer ?

Yes its probably the main one for Europe AFAIK. Its in August too and tickets are cheap. Only thing is the flights and getting accommodation. I was going to go this year but its still a bit too much $$.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

........Tumble weed......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement