Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

PS4 + Vita bundle = 500 Euro....?

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

If that became a reality, I would not hesitate to get it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

PS4 pre-ordered so lets get my bias out of the way here, but....

Why is the PS4 getting such fanfare when to be honest I see nothing really remarkable:-

- the sharing button is nonsense, "oh luck Uncle John on Facebook, see my grenade kill on BF4"... "feck off nerd"

- gaming is increasing in cost, more expensive games and PSN now no longer free

- the controller has only been tweaked (fine no need to radically change it anyway)

- the graphics on the new games are just like really good PS3 graphics

- the IOS system is naff and pointless, PS3 one was fine

...just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

mozattack wrote: »
    - the sharing button is nonsense, "oh luck Uncle John on Facebook, see my grenade kill on BF4"... "feck off nerd"

TBH it's not a feature that I will use with any regularity but you just have to look at Youtube, Twitch and Ustream to see that it is functionality that a lot of gamers will use.

Also, I get the impression that rather than rely on Facebook or the equivalent for sharing, Sony and Microsoft will try to focus on their own social networking interfaces.

It has already been confirmed that at least first party titles will cost the same as last generation.
    - the controller has only been tweaked (fine no need to radically change it anyway)

Based on reports from friends, especially with the DS4, the minor tweaks have made a massive difference.

The extra power in the systems won't become apparent for a year or two. Look back at the launch titles of the PS3 and 360 and compare them to the tail-end of the PS2 and original Xbox's lifecycle.

Yeah, not a huge fan of the Metro look either but functionality will always trump aesthetics IMO. I want to see how it works before I judge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Hi guys, I might have left it a little bit late but does anybody know if a preorder now would be available before Christmas?

Who would be the best to preorder with?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I might have left it a little bit late but does anybody know if a preorder now would be available before Christmas?

Thanks
    You will not get one Day One if you are pre ordering now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

You will not get one Day One if you are pre ordering now

Not worried really once its before Christmas! I suppose there's a fair old chance of getting one by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thanks

It's probably too late now, most sites and shops have stopped taking pre-orders or at least they've stopped making any guarantees about getting it at launch. If the PS4 comes out in November then preordering may get you one of the latter shipments and that may make it in time for Christmas.

Why you won't be guaranteed anything I'd say Gamestop's website would be best to allow you to pre order and they'll likely get some priority ahead of any individual brick & mortar shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,578 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not worried really once its before Christmas! I suppose there's a fair old chance of getting one by then?

If you haven't ordered one by now I doubt it will be this side of xmas, could be wrong though - best ask in your local game shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Why is the PS4 getting such fanfare when to be honest I see nothing really remarkable:-

...just saying...
    Very true. We keep hearing about amazing hardware as well that no one has even laid eyes on. It only exists on paper.

Glow sticks and a crappy camera sold separately. Sony are only implementing some features that the xbox has had for 6 yrs.

Sony has to be commended for many things, they have finished very strong with the PS3 and helped a reversal in Xbox One always on policy. PSN + is a great service even thou multiplayer used to be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Very true. We keep hearing about amazing hardware as well that no one has even laid eyes on. It only exists on paper.

Glow sticks and a crappy camera sold separately. Sony are only implementing some features that the xbox has had for 6 yrs.

Sony has to be commended for many things, they have finished very strong with the PS3 and helped a reversal in Xbox One always on policy. PSN + is a great service even thou multiplayer used to be free.
    In fairness what do you want? I just want good games and good hardware, I've no interest in all this social crap from both sides. It's there if you want it. I don't see what MS are doing any differently. They're both going to be so equal, the difference will be in the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

1ZRed wrote: »
    In fairness what do you want? I just want good games and good hardware, I've no interest in all this social crap from both sides. It's there if you want it. I don't see what MS are doing any differently. They're both going to be so equal, the difference will be in the games.
    I detest both consoles movement towards becoming multimedia devices. I don't want to turn on my console to look for some games and see half my friends list are watching Netflix. My point in my last post is that Sony have had an free pass so far in this next gen race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

...just saying...
    Any example of what would have impressed you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I detest both consoles movement towards becoming multimedia devices. I don't want to turn on my console to look for some games and see half my friends list are watching Netflix. .
    Have to agree with that. It was nice with the PS3, but at this stage with smart tv's, HDMI dongles, USB ports on TV's, there's not much point in having all that crap on the PS4. Love that Xbone presentation video where someone cut all the times the word "TV" was mentioned and stuck them together.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Have to agree with that. It was nice with the PS3, but at this stage with smart tv's, HDMI dongles, USB ports on TV's, there's not much point in having all that crap on the PS4. Love that Xbone presentation video where someone cut all the times the word "TV" was mentioned and stuck them together.

It's no longer a matter of having it, it only matters now if you don't. I do use netflix and will use it on the PS4, but if it didn't have it I'd just use it on my PS3 or TV but at this point there's no reason that most of these apps should not be on any device.

I detest both consoles movement towards becoming multimedia devices. I don't want to turn on my console to look for some games and see half my friends list are watching Netflix. My point in my last post is that Sony have had an free pass so far in this next gen race.

Well yeah because they haven't fvcked up as much as MS has or had plans to implement all the shíte they wanted to. I don't care about the social crap but it's there if you want it, it's not really going to take away from the games unless you make that your focus, which MS was doing. That's why Sony is getting away with it because they're not doing what MS is. They're about the games and all that stuff comes after.

PS4 + Vita bundle = 500 Euro....?

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

I don't want the vita and I've no interest in handhelds but PS+ has given me so many vita games that I kinda want one just because I have the games and it doubles as a second PS4. If it's only €100 extra that's a bargain, definitely makes the kinect difference more apparent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Varik wrote: »
    It's no longer a matter of having it, it only matters now if you don't. I do use netflix and will use it on the PS4, but if it didn't have it I'd just use it on my PS3 or TV but at this point there's no reason that most of these apps should not be on any device.

I don't think most people have a problem with Netflix or streaming apps.
    For me at least it's the worry that this sharing, facestation stuff and bloated OS is detracting from the console's gaming capabilites.

It's similar to the way that multiplayer and content being held back from a game to be sold later as DLC / microtransaction is impacting on the single player game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Don't want to see that they're watching Netflix or don't want them to be able to be watching Netflix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Both want you to turn on your console and see a multimedia hub with yet another social media profile that is linked to Twitter, Netflix, Facebook and crap like Bing. The amount of power they gave up for this is just desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

After having experience managing HDD space with the PS3, how many people are going to swap out the PS4 HDD immediately so as to not have to worry about it down the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

After having experience managing HDD space with the PS3, how many people are going to swap out the PS4 HDD immediately so as to not have to worry about it down the line?

hermione%2Braised%2Bhand.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Are you able to use an SSD with the ps3? I'd love to try one in my 4 when I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

miralize wrote: »
    Are you able to use an SSD with the ps3? I'd love to try one in my 4 when I get it
    You can but it doesnt really make much of a different apparently. Youre still bottlenecked by disk read speed for the most part

Chinpool wrote: »
    You can but it doesnt really make much of a different apparently. Youre still bottlenecked by disk read speed for the most part

Welll thats a shame

Chinpool wrote: »

MS's old setup of not needing the disc has carried over so that all game will still install and run from the HDD on the ONE with the disc just being used to check it's real, and as such I'd say most multiplat games will be doing the same on both. Sony said that you'll be able to play while the game installs so I'd say an SSD will make a bigger difference this time round as more games will install larger amount of data and rely on the disc less.

Also there's no point in a bigger drive for the PS4 (a SDD maybe), it's all new and you'll not fill 500GB for a long while at which point HDD/SDD will be bigger/faster/cheaper.

MS's old setup of not needing the disc has carried over so that all game will still install and run from the HDD on the ONE with the disc just being used to check it's real, and as such I'd say most multiplat games will be doing the same on both. Sony said that you'll be able to play while the game installs so I'd say an SSD will make a bigger difference this time round as more games will install larger amount of data and rely on the disc less.

Also there's no point in a bigger drive for the PS4 (a SDD maybe), it's all new and you'll not fill 500GB for a long while at which point HDD/SDD will be bigger/faster/cheaper.

PS+. I once believed that too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I have preordered the new 1.5TB laptop drive........

1ZRed wrote: »
    PS+. I once believed that too

Ye for PS3 and I've had to replace a 500GB for a 1TB recently but this is the PS4, these won't be the huge amount of game to fill it for a while even when some games will be larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Ye for PS3 and I've had to replace a 500GB for a 1TB recently but this is the PS4, these won't be the huge amount of game to fill it for a while even when some games will be larger.

next gen games will most likely take up to 10-20 gb alone for an install
    so it will fill up pretty fast
    probably not within the first year considering their wont be loads of games released for compared to this gen at the moment but after year one id say 500gb just wont cut it anymore

• Advertisement

Just delete the lesser played ones. I never go past 80GB on my Xbox and I have most of my most played games installed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement