Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

srumball wrote: »

It's not a Friday, we will know the true date next week at Gamescom ( Hopefully ):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Yeah Oct 21st looks about as early as they could possibly get the console out! SONY would have a good idea how many pre orders they have taken so far and once they are confident they cab get them fulfilled they will launch ASAP!

After launch SONY will then return to normal operations just filling stores with PS4's as demand dictates! So if anyone still has not pre ordered do it now or it will be the New Year before you have a reasonable chance of getting one!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

It would be a dream if it was released that early :)

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Yeah Oct 21st looks about as early as they could possibly get the console out! SONY would have a good idea how many pre orders they have taken so far and once they are confident they cab get them fulfilled they will launch ASAP!

After launch SONY will then return to normal operations just filling stores with PS4's as demand dictates! So if anyone still has not pre ordered do it now or it will be the New Year before you have a reasonable chance of getting one!

yeah sure they stopped taking pre orders worldwide on the 5th August, so they must be getting all of them ready for launch day. Then focusing on normal demand, so I would imagine a month or so before we get em back in stock! If you haven't pre ordered now do it ASAP and ask for some sort of assurance that you will get it on launch day!!

• Advertisement

Just a rumour here about the Xbone getting delayed until 2014

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/87284/Xbox+One+delayed+until+2014%3F/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

And you post it in the PS4 thread instead of the Xbox one? :p

Go on, post it in the Xbox thread, would be a good meltdown ;)

And you post it in the PS4 thread instead of the Xbox one? :p

:rolleyes:

I would not like to think the heat would be off SONY getting the PS4 out sooner rather than later! :cool:
    Xenji wrote: »
    Go on, post it in the Xbox thread, would be a good meltdown ;)

No thanks ROFL

I save my winding up XBoners for N4G!!! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Does anyone know if we will be able to get the SKY app on PS4. I have a 360 at the moment and use the SKY app of my family sky subscription in my own apartment. It is great that I can use it at no extra fee apart from Xbox live fee of course. But the PS4 will have PS+, does anyone have or heard of any info on this??

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if we will be able to get the SKY app on PS4. I have a 360 at the moment and use the SKY app of my family sky subscription in my own apartment. It is great that I can use it at no extra fee apart from Xbox live fee of course. But the PS4 will have PS+, does anyone have or heard of any info on this??

It has not been confirmed yet and I do not think Microsoft have any sort of exclusive deal, but going by the entertainment apps that we know will be available of the US version, I do not see why they would not make it available.

No thanks ROFL

Ah your no fun, will do it myself then, just put my flameguard on first.

creepy-smile-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-179.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It has not been confirmed yet and I do not think Microsoft have any sort of exclusive deal, but going by the entertainment apps that we know will be available of the US version, I do not see why they would not make it available.

I really hope so. Currently have my Parent's Sky Go running on my iPad but if I can get that on the PS instead then that bumps the PS4 way up my list of priorities and means that it would pay for itself within six months considering the amount I'd save paying UPC.

If it doesn't you can always buy something like Chromecast, 30euro dongle that plugs into your tv and will stream netflix, sky, hbo go etc and use any Android phone as a remote.
    It's devices like that that make the media side of Xbox pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

If it doesn't you can always buy something like Chromecast, 30euro dongle that plugs into your tv and will stream netflix, sky, hbo go etc and use any Android phone as a remote.

In fairness it's tablets, smartphones and smart TVs that are making all those media features on both consoles, besides blu ray, pointless.

I don't know why MS keep pushing that angle. The place is saturated with media apps from blu ray players to TVs, to dongles. It's honestly not a selling point anymore like it was 7 years ago.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I really hope so. Currently have my Parent's Sky Go running on my iPad but if I can get that on the PS instead then that bumps the PS4 way up my list of priorities and means that it would pay for itself within six months considering the amount I'd save paying UPC.

This would save you €500 odd euro. Gonna get one myself because I prefer 4OD on my iPad instead of console because I just find it more awkward and slow to use.

It's only pointless if you've got, or want to get, any of those. I'm sure a lot of people want one device which does everything.

I don't think Sky Go works on any of those things. This seems to be the list of supported devices.

http://help.sky.com/tv/sky-tv-on-other-devices/sky-go-supported-devices#tab-2

1ZRed wrote: »
    This would save you €500 odd euro. Gonna get one myself because I prefer 4OD on my iPad instead of console because I just find it more awkward and slow to use.

I'm liking that! Just need to buy a second iPad now so I can use one whilst the other is hooked up to the TV :D

EDIT - need one which works with iPad 4.

It's only pointless if you've got, or want to get, any of those. I'm sure a lot of people want one device which does everything.

I don't think Sky Go works on any of those things. This seems to be the list of supported devices.

But it doesn't even list xbox there, so it could be out of date. If that chromcast thing said they'll have sky go then more than likely they will.

• Advertisement

Probably doesn't support Chromecast yet, but it definitely will. It's only been out two weeks, and it runs android so it won't be hard for them to port the app.

I'm liking that! Just need to buy a second iPad now so I can use one whilst the other is hooked up to the TV :D

EDIT - need one which works with iPad 4.

There ya go
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-AV-Adapter-Apple-iPhone/dp/B008CCX3ZW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376490726&sr=1-2&keywords=ipad+hdmi+lightning

Suppose you could by another now that you've saved €500. Would be stupid not to, like :p

But it doesn't even list xbox there, so it could be out of date. If that chromcast thing said they'll have sky go then more than likely they will.

Xbox is on the right hand side.

I do understand your point but I just don't see any downside to running these media apps. These machines are basically PCs.

Xbox is on the right hand side.

I do understand your point but I just don't see any downside to running these media apps. These machines are basically PCs.

Yeah I know what you mean, but it takes away power from the consoles when such an emphasis doesn't need to be on them. Like you can stream some on-demand services from your phone to your TV, the idea of a dedicated box for it is on the way out. In 5 years time smart TVs with all that included could be all you can buy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yeah I know what you mean, but it takes away power from the consoles when such an emphasis doesn't need to be on them.

It doesn't take any power away from them as consoles, they still have all the gaming capability they would have.

stevenmu wrote: »
    It doesn't take any power away from them as consoles, they still have all the gaming capability they would have.

The huge amount of RAM that's going to be locked away to those apps, most of which will probably go untouched and will be sitting idle 90% of the time.

The huge amount of RAM that's going to be locked away to those apps, most of which will probably go untouched and will be sitting idle 90% of the time.

The RAM wouldn't be used unless the app was though?? maybe im wrong.

Or the reserved RAM for the OS would include an amount for these apps?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I would not like to think the heat would be off SONY getting the PS4 out sooner rather than later! :cool:

No thanks ROFL

One of ye do it anyway :D.

I don't believe that the current gen apps take away any power at all from the core use of the machine (to play games). The PS3's media apps are no more sophisticated than those which run on my four year old smartphone.

Maybe the next gen apps will be more sophisticated and resource-intensive. I've not seen anything to suggest that though - at least as far as the PS4 is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

One of ye do it anyway :D.

Xenji did it :) I thought Richard would have been the best person for the job, he is used to getting flack over there :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement