Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

F1ngers wrote: »
    It's for anyone that buys it - not just for new subscriptions...

I know, just meant for people who have not got it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Blue and Red PS4 controllers at launch, Black much looks nicer though.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/gamescom-magma-red-wave-blue-dualshock-4-colors-announced

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Back in Feb they showed a game that looked kinda like dragons dogma,does anyone remember the name of it?

Back in Feb they showed a game that looked kinda like dragons dogma,does anyone remember the name of it?

Deep Down?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Deep Down?

That's it,thank you :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

lol....so MS got pwned by Sony, Twitch will be available on both consoles now....and the PS4 will have ustream and gaikai: http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/20/twitch-integrates-with-playstation-4-for-streaming-and-viewing-video-game-content/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Now that I think back Rime and Everybody's gone to the Rapture looked very interesting.

Rime in particularly looked beautiful, got a real Ico feel off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

tok9 wrote: »
    Now that I think back Rime and Everybody's gone to the Rapture looked very interesting.

Rime in particularly looked beautiful, got a real Ico feel off it.

Yeah very Ico/Wind Waker/The Witness art style. Love that it's open world too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Xbox One/PS4 2013 Launch Countries (13)

United States
    Canada
    Mexico
    Brazil
    Australia
    New Zealand
    United Kingdom
    France
    Germany
    Spain
    Italy
    Ireland
    Austria

Additional PS4 2013 Launch Countries (19)

Belgium
    Denmark
    Finland
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    Russia
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Argentina
    Chile
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    El Salvador
    Guatemala
    Panama
    Peru

A look at the UI from a much better angle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM&sns=tw

I personally love it, it's quick, easy to navigate and is a cross between the XMB and tile based interface.
    And being able to jump into friend's multiplayer games in like three seconds is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I'm upset now that I didn't pre-order. He who hesitates is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm not, I only recently got a PS3 so I'll try and milk that as much as possible before I switch.

But I must say that they're really convincing me more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So, november 29th? My birthday is on the 26th, so the wife is under serious pressure!
    II *expect* NEXT GEN!.....MS are beating Sony right now on OS.

Dont forget, half the xbone menus will be tv stuff that won't work/is completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

II *expect* NEXT GEN!.....MS are beating Sony right now on OS.

UI design is how it works, not how shiny it looks. You have yet to try it, or see how fast it does the things that you want it to. To say something like whats bolded is just daft. I just want to play games on my PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Cienciano wrote: »
    So, november 29th? My birthday is on the 26th, so the wife is under serious pressure!

Dont forget, half the xbone menus will be tv stuff that won't work/is completely pointless.

Me too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Unfair to say ms tv use won't work... You know very little as do us all

Me too! :pac:
    That's us and Tina Turner. Woo!
    Unfair to say ms tv use won't work... You know very little as do us all
    Notice you don't disagree that it's completely pointless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

That's us and Tina Turner. Woo!

Nor did I say it was pointless... Don't be putting words in people's mouths now.

Jesus men acting like jealous kids over two consoles definitely a case of first world problems.. Pathetic really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In fairness, one tab on the menu will be home to the TV & Movie stuff and while most of the Live content won't work in Europe for awhile (as far as we're aware at least) it'll still be the home of the variety of apps already on the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I like the new PS4 interface, maybe they will change the the Vita's bubbles to something more PS4 like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I like the new PS4 interface, maybe they will change the the Vita's bubbles to something more PS4 like.

The bubbles are there for making the touch-screen easier to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

The PS4 is so great in all but yet no footage of BF4 on it... thinking it will look like the PS3 version so they are afraid to show it off.

Nor did I say it was pointless... Don't be putting words in people's mouths now.

Jesus men acting like jealous kids over two consoles definitely a case of first world problems.. Pathetic really
    I was joking, you may be taking my posts a bit to seriously. Take some deep breaths and put on some music with whale sounds in it, and relax!
    As you said yourself, it's 2 different consoles. Any slagging that I do, (or most people for that matter i've noticed), is light hearted taking the píss about the rival one. We all know they'll be more or less the same.
    But the TV aspect might be important to some people, but personally I couldn't care less about it.

If that is true and Neogaf love stuff like this, it would mean that you would not see much of a difference in games now, but in 2-3 years the quality of PS4 games could look significantly better than XB1 games and all cross platform games would look better on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Xenji wrote: »
    If that is true and Neogaf love stuff like this, it would mean that you would not see much of a difference in games now, but in 2-3 years the quality of PS4 games could look significantly better than XB1 games and all cross platform games would look better on the PS4.

But but but what about the

1317019823_oblaka.gif

Speaking of Neogaf, the infamous CBOAT this week stated that
    PS4 games are ready to master while Xbox is stuck in development hell with the latest SDK dropping the performance by 20%

If anyone wants to read up on HUMA and what it is and does http://mygaming.co.za/news/hardware/53750-amds-plan-for-the-future-huma-fully-detailed.html

Going back to CBOAT he did mention some big news would come out this week and could he of meant this
    Although both upcoming game consoles Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are based on AMD hardware, only PlayStation 4 incorporates hUMA [Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access] for supporting a shared memory space. This was explained by AMD's Senior Product Marketing Manager Marc Diana to c't [big German IT magazine] at gamescom. This should put the 3D-performance of PlayStation 4 much farther ahead of Xbox One than many have expected so far. AMD sees hUMA as a key element for drastic performance improvements in combined processors. AMD's upcoming Kaveri desktop processors support hUMA as well.

Behind the scenes, c't could hear from developers that the 3D-performance of PlayStation 4 is very far ahead of Xbox One.

Back in April, AMD manager Phil Rogers explained to c't that hUMA improves 3D-performance in particular. "Game developers have been eager to use very large textures for years. Until now they had to resort to tricks in order to package parts of larger textures into smaller textures. That is because today a texture has to be located in a special place of physical memory before the GPU can process it. With hUMA, applications can work with textures much more efficiently". AMD will give more details on hUMA at its upcoming developer conference in November.

More nerd stuff :

PS4 will have hUMA wich means that you no longer need a distinction between CPU partition and GPU partition. Both processors can use the same pieces of data at the same time. You don't need to copy stuff and this allows for completely new algorithms that utilize CPU and GPU at the same time. This is interesting since a GPU is very strong, but extremely dumb. A CPU is extremely smart, but very weak. Since you can utilize both processors at the same time for a single task you have a system that is extremely smart and extremely strong at the same time.

It will allow for an extreme boost for many, many algorithms and parts of algorithms. On top of that it will allow for completely new classes of algorithms and will show why GDDR5 Ram was such a big deal for Sony

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That does sound like a genuinely big advantage for the PS4. It seems very odd though that it wouldn't be available for the Xbox too given how similar their APUs are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The bubbles are there for making the touch-screen easier to use.

That may well be but it looks kindergarten IMO. Only the Vita uses the bubbles. The PSP used the XMB and the D-Pad and I'm sure they could tweak the PlayStation Dynamic Menu for the Vita and make it more PlayStation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement