Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Dice have actually said the 720p statement is false, but they still haven't confirmed 1080p.
    480p anyone? :pac:

al_bundy_gtfo_gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Dice have actually said the 720p statement is false, but they still haven't confirmed 1080p.
    480p anyone? :pac:

That's what I had to play it at on the ps3 because of the controller lag so 720p is an upgrade for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Not sure if this was posted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I like the XMB and this seems to be a evolution of it, it has the same horizontal setup with the content in each presented differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Otacon wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted already.

I think he mis-understood the Live from playstation part.
    It sounded like he was saying you could watch what any of your friends were doing at any given time, but I'm pretty sure that you're just watching what they choose to livestream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Has anyone heard anything about launch bundles here??

Pre ordered in Xtra Vision, if they have bundles available at midnight launch would I be able to get one??

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I think he mis-understood the Live from playstation part.
    It sounded like he was saying you could watch what any of your friends were doing at any given time, but I'm pretty sure that you're just watching what they choose to livestream.

I think that is implied though, especially when he talks about the Share functionality and broadcasting your session.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

mozattack wrote: »
    Otacon, fair point... look it is a vast improvement on PS3 so happy days. Anyway 720 and 60 FPS feck all difference to 1080 really.

Xenji, what does upscaled means as per jackfrags?

If you upscale a image, you are basically forcing it to go into a higher resolution, but while it resizes the image to fit 1920×1080 and looks smoother, it is not natively meant to be in that format, so you lose image quality such as colours and sharpness as it is not full hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Indeed there is a huge difference. Its the reason I am upgrading. 1080p/60fps should be the standard for next gen console gaming (-WiiU)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

http://www.biogamergirl.com/2013/08/walmart-preorders-begin-august-24-for.html

Walmart Preorders Begin August 24 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

Walmart will also be offering controller and launch day game preorders that include Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Killzone, Knack and Driveclub for $59.96.

That sounds good .. hope it comes here too ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

miralize wrote: »
    Indeed there is a huge difference. Its the reason I am upgrading. 1080p/60fps should be the standard for next gen console gaming (-WiiU)

It's not even standard on pc.

BF4 on pc will need a 680 gtx/hd7970 to run 1080p/60fps with all the effects on.

Very few people have 400 euro video cards and consoles costing less than 400 euro in total are going to have no chance, how could they?

The brand new 350 euro 760GTX barely gets 60fps on BF3 and that game is ancient:D

k2gyn5.jpg

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1782/pg1/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-graphics-card-review-gainward-palit-and-zotac-introduction.html

That's on system with a 600 euro Core i7, 16gb's of the fastest ram available and a feckin solid state drive, 250 euro motherboard.

Expectations on some of yee :P

If PS4 can get 720p/60fps with most details on I will delighted, it will look and move awesome on the big screen.

RoverZT wrote: »
    The brand new 350 euro 760GTX barely gets 60fps on BF3 and that game is ancient:D

BS. I get 60FPS with an AMD 6950 and that card is two years old.
    You can get a 7850 for 150euro and easily get 60FPS too.

BS. I get 60FPS with an AMD 6950 and that card is two years old.
    You can get a 7850 for 150euro and easily get 60FPS too.

Average with everything with set to max on multiplayer?

Bit-tech have 7850 @ 43fps and that's single player, multi is alot more demanding.

mv55pw.jpg

6950 is a still very good card by the way, pure power wise it's as good as most new generation card's out there.

Anandtech have it at 65 with FXAA on high
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/778

Anandtech have it at 65 with FXAA on high
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/778

It's 40 with MSAA ;)

RoverZT wrote: »
    It's 40 with MSAA ;)

Considering consoles won't have that enabled I think it's accepted to look at FXAA.
    My main point is that it's not as expensive as you made it out to be and you don't have to spend 400euro on a graphics card to get a good fps on PC.

Considering consoles won't have that enabled I think it's accepted to look at FXAA.
    My main point is that it's not as expensive as you made it out to be and you don't have to spend 400euro on a graphics card to get a good fps on PC.

For BF4 I think you will.

You will need some horsepower to run that on ultra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 mx888882

Looks good , nice meaty sound to the guns. Read that it will have free DLC, this could be the PS4 shooter to get.

http://youtu.be/1xdpSw8aaEE

During Sony's Gamescom press keynote, president Andrew House revealed a program that would allow consumers to upgrade from select PS3 titles to their PS4 counterparts for a "significantly discounted price." UK managing director Fergal Gara told Digital Spy that the pricing will be dictated by publishers.

"What will happen is, the PS4 digital file will be made available on the PlayStation Store - as it would be anyway - at launch, and the PS3 discs will be sold through retail. What the consumer can then do, for a premium to be defined by the publisher, is access the PS4 digital game and then provided they still have the PS3 disc, they will be able to play the PS4 version when they decide to buy the next gen."

Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4 are the first games eligible for this promotion. GameStop and Amazon both announced they will offer similar upgrade options for Xbox 360 to Xbox One games, though nothing has been announced from either retailer regarding PS3 to PS4 upgrades.

From the sounds of it you need the PS3 disc in the PS4 to play the downloaded version of the next gen game.

If it works for PSN PS3 games I'd do it that way as I'd rather stay pure digital rather than the half way method that this sounds like but dependant on the price, if I bought the PS3 version I'd be able to use the PS4 after whatever fee is involved.

I was thinking to both combat DRM, and to get the convenience of disc-less gaming, what if when you're online, you don't need the disc in the console, but when youre offline you do? Would not be as intrusive as the Xbox proposal and would be extremely convenient? Is this just drunk me talking?

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    I was thinking to both combat DRM, and to get the convenience of disc-less gaming, what if when you're online, you don't need the disc in the console, but when youre offline you do? Would not be as intrusive as the Xbox proposal and would be extremely convenient? Is this just drunk me talking?

Being online doesn't mean you still own the disc game. Someone could pass around a PS3 version of the game and allow you to pay the fee to get the PS4 version digitally which would be lower than the normal price. Unless they're taking the old PS3 game off you plus some money and then giving back a PS4 version having the game in the tray is the only way to know you still own it.

If the same option is there for digital game I do it that way.

Varik wrote: »
    Being online doesn't mean you still own the disc game. Someone could pass around a PS3 version of the game and allow you to pay the fee to get the PS4 version digitally which would be lower than the normal price. Unless they're taking the old PS3 game off you plus some money and then giving back a PS4 version having the game in the tray is the only way to know you still own it.

If the same option is there for digital game I do it that way.

If it was checked online every week or so to see if its ran on 2+ machines?

Well Fudge that, Elder Scrolls Online will have a 15$ Monthly Subscription fee on top of 60$ game itself.

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/08/23/game-scoop-did-elder-scrolls-online-just-commit-suicide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Well Fudge that, Elder Scrolls Online will have a 15$ Monthly Subscription fee on top of 60$ game itself.

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/08/23/game-scoop-did-elder-scrolls-online-just-commit-suicide

And still people will pay it..

King Krib wrote: »
    And still people will pay it..

Not enough and not for long, there's really only a few MMOs that can do well on a sub.

EVE, WoW, and a few others can do well on subs but for the most part no other MMOs will be sustainable.

Varik wrote: »
    Not enough and not for long, there's really only a few MMOs that can do well on a sub.

EVE, WoW, and a few others can do well on subs but for the most part no other MMOs will be sustainable.

There will be no way on earth people will commit themselves to a MMO and a Sub right at the beginning of a new console gen! Maybe PC but there is too much F2P and New Games to explore before even considering sticking with one game!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Problem with sub based games - you cant commit to more then one ( or two at push ) sub based game.

15eu per month is grand, but when you want another game to play, which is sub based thats 30eu per month. So like it or not, you will have to choose in the end, unless you are filthy rich bastard or mum pays your gaming habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I am sticking with Guild Wars 2, 15 quid is a bit steep after paying full price for the game as well, works out at 180 quid a year, you could buy 4 games for that much new.

Guess my RPG of choice will be the Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 next year. Pity though as I loved SKYRIM!

Just a side-note:

I pre ordered GTAV for 35 pounds with super saver delivery on Amazon while it cost 60 odd squid on Gamestop.ie without shipping, shocking difference! I am also very tempted to pick up KZ for the VITA for 25 pound also from Amazon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wish destiny was a launch title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement