Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/02/xbox-one-external-storage-not-supported-at-launch

I had a heartbeat for the xbox one. a small sliver of hope to buy it. But then this. Flashbacks of using two usb flashdrives for battlefield 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Otacon wrote: »
    The PS4 camera is a flat slab. I doubt you'd need a mount for it.

Its more for the camera angle, on the TV stand is a bit low. Maybe the duct tape will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS4 camera is a flat slab. I doubt you'd need a mount for it.

I would need a mount as nothing can sit on my LED TV and it's wall mounted, no space under it either. A bit of bluetac maybe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Its more for the camera angle, on the TV stand is a bit low. Maybe the duct tape will be out.

It can be tilted upwards:

PS4-camera.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Dreams do come true...

Article
    TimeSplitters Rewind, a collection of maps, weapons and characters from the three previous TimeSplitters titles in the series, is in development for PlayStation 4 systems by a team of around 35 part-time developers, project lead Michael Hubricka told CinemaBlend.

However, this doesn't mean the multiplayer title, which is powered by CryEngine 3, will necessary make it to retail. According to Hubricka, the development team is working to obtain approval from Crytek's legal department in order to release the game on Sony's console.

"We're actually going to go ahead and start development [of Timesplitters Rewind] on PlayStation 4. Just because we're pretty confident Crytek's going to say go ahead and do it. But we don't want them saying go ahead and do it when we're caught with our pants down and we're like halfway through development and [then] start something for the PlayStation 4," he said.

They better approve it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh, man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dreams do come true...

Article

They better approve it!

Steam pressure at 66%...........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It'll never be as good.....buuuut....want

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Dreams do come true...

Article

They better approve it!

*Drools.....

Time to pre order :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not sure if already posted but I see we mightn't get Gaikai here any time soon
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/03/gaikai-on-ps4-delayed-in-europe-due-to-slow-broadband-3947780/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Disappointing and I don't buy broadband speed as a decent excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Disappointing and I don't buy broadband speed as a decent excuse.

True. Why not make it available to those with fast speeds, there's plenty people in Europe with 50/100 Mbit. I'd say they don't have enough bandwidth set up for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

EGriff wrote: »
    True. Why not make it available to those with fast speeds, there's plenty people in Europe with 50/100 Mbit. I'd say they don't have enough bandwidth set up for it yet.

The only part of gaikai that wont work at launch is streaming ps2, ps3 games. everything else will work fine

There is a rumour floating around that Sony will be revealing a PS4 VR headset, similar to Oculus Rift, at TGS.
    Sony is preparing to reveal the final piece of its PS4 hardware strategy at TGS by showcasing a PlayStation-branded virtual reality head-mounted display, CVG has learned.

It originally intended to reveal the Sony headset at Gamescom but plans fell through at the eleventh hour. The company is currently weighing up whether the PS4 device should be pitched as a key differentiator for the console or a non-essential add-on.

The matter has been slightly complicated, but not derailed, by the growing industry support for Oculus Rift. Sony's device will be a categorical rival to Oculus, and for months there have been rumours suggesting the two companies are seeking a partnership.

A games developer familiar with Sony's plans, who wished to remain anonymous, told CVG that Evolution Studios is currently working with the device to simulate a cockpit view on its PS4 title Drive Club.

I would have thought a partnership with Oculus themselves would have been more sensible but perhaps this has been in the works for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

200 quid i would say......

This VR headset + Move + Outlast = My nightmare scenario!

200 would be the maximum in my eyes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Back at the end of last year Palmer Luckey, the Oculus founder, said this regarding the possible price of the consumer unit...
    Nobody is going to buy a $1000 head-mounted display, but a $200 device? People will buy that. I mean, our developer kits are $300, and I actually think our consumer version is going to be cheaper than that - almost certainly.

If Sony were looking at similar tech for their own device or even subsidising a Sony-branded Rift device then I can't see any reason why it would be much more. Bodes pretty damn well for indies on both PC and PS4 so hopefully we'll see some pretty inventive uses if they go ahead with it on the platform.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The only part of gaikai that wont work at launch is streaming ps2, ps3 games. everything else will work fine

Isn't that the whole point of Gaikai? What else does it do?

stevenmu wrote: »

The Gaikai network technology is meant to be the backbone of the entire PSN on PS4. Hopefully, this leads to increased download speeds and less lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

stevenmu wrote: »
    Gaikai is/was already up and running in Europe as part of the Eurogamer and GreenManGaming sites, I'm not actually sure if their portals are still working though. Their tech powered the PC game streaming via their respective portals.

As for the delay, a more likely scenario is that Sony realised their existing infrastructure on this side of the Atlantic would be insufficient to meet the demand which would be introduced if it was enabled via the PS4. I'd also imagine that there are still plenty of licencing issues to be sorted out with various publishers in order to make sure there's an expansive catalogue of games available via launch. Neither of these reasons are necessarily a bad thing of course, if the more recent launches of online services in the games space have proven anything, it's that if you're not ready to launch a fully featured and dependable service then you're probably better holding off until such a time that you are. :)
    The Gaikai network technology is meant to be the backbone of the entire PSN on PS4. Hopefully, this leads to increased download speeds and less lag.
    As far as I'm aware, Gaikai's technology related solely to game streaming, I'm not sure what uses it would have had outside of that area across the PSN.

• Advertisement

ps4 only supports 4 controllers, the xbone supports 8 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668465

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ps4 only supports 4 controllers, the xbone supports 8 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668465

Oh no, that's me out then :P

gizmo wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, Gaikai's technology related solely to game streaming, I'm not sure what uses it would have had outside of that area across the PSN.

You are probably right.

The impression I got from early articles about the tech and its integration with the PSN was it would be used not only for game streaming but for all data transferring across the network, with its server-based technology built-in from the start.

However, as I said, this is an impression, rather than based on anything concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It can be tilted upwards:

Cool but it might not be enough. I might put it on a speaker or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

PS3 supported 7 controllers, and I don't know a single game that supported it.
    I've never even played with anymore than 2 controllers on my PS3.

PS3 supported 7 controllers, and I don't know a single game that supported it.
    I've never even played with anymore than 2 controllers on my PS3.

its still a plus for the xbone, this is all a plus and minus game people! ;)

It's not even a plus or minus for 99% of people and, currently 0% of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Why the feck would I need support for 8 controllers? I cant even imagine logistics of having 8 people at the TV and playing one game at the same time....

Do I have to buy all 8?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

8 player FIFA could be a bit of craic - but ya i guess 4 is sufficient

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement