Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

still no GPU or CPU clock speeds.....still no shots of the inside of the ps4, no info on hardware used, the layouts or chips.

wheras Microsoft have been very fourthcoming with all this info, we know numbers, we have slides, we have pics.

what is sony hiding...........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Probably nothing, they're great at hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

still no GPU or CPU clock speeds.....still no shots of the inside of the ps4, no info on hardware used, the layouts or chips.

wheras Microsoft have been very fourthcoming with all this info, we know numbers, we have slides, we have pics.

The-Truth-Is-Out-There.jpg

Wow this even looks like a shítty slogan Sony would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

GTR63 wrote: »
    The-Truth-Is-Out-There.jpg

Wow this even looks like a shítty slogan Sony would use.

What?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why must Sony be hiding something Richard Dower?
    Have they ever done anything similar for any of their other hardware products? They have engineered an awful lot of products, so many different bits of hardware, yet I can't think of a time when Sony have provided shots of the innards of pre release products, of the thousands of different products they have created I can't think of a single example where they've done this before.

.....but to answer your legitimate question, they're probably hiding Japanese candy...a lot of it...nom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The layout of chips? Really? I'm pretty confident we'll be OK on that front.

There is no conspiracy. There is no campaign of misinformation. Sony are just focusing on presenting the stuff that actually matters at this stage in the game.

Saying that, I've been informed by a reliable Opus Dei Sony overlord representative that the resemblances between the PS4 innards and the Illuminati pyramid symbol are purely coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Is there expected to be a shortage of PS4 games around launch? Obviously you're not going to get next or near a console if you haven't pre-ordered, but what about games?

I see Amazon aren't doing the free release date shipping any more. Even the quickest shipping option has an estimated delivery date of 2-3rd of Dec.

I haven't ordered any games yet. I'm still guessing I can just walk in and buy them? On the off chance I do have my console for release date, I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck until the 2nd or 3rd of Dec waiting for games..... and I definitely wouldn't want to be caught out by a short supply of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

You can always get them from the PSN. Although, judging from current gen games, they may be at a premium price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

aaronh007 wrote: »
    You can always get them from the PSN. Although, judging from current gen games, they may be at a premium price.

The price tends to be the RRP of the game which up until this year was far higher than what shops were actually charging, but now after so many retailer closed down we've seen the price increase where games went from €45 to €55 and €60 for current gen and more for a lot of nextgen the price of PSN and Live games aren't that much more (unless is EA or Ubi who look for €79.99).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gman0174

Clearly they are hiding the invading army....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

What?

I think anyone thinking Sony are hiding something is just looking for something to moan about.

They gave out their specs ages ago & that is all we`ll get for now until launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

GTR63 wrote: »
    I think anyone thinking Sony are hiding something is just looking for something to moan about.

They gave out their specs ages ago & that is all we`ll get for now until launch.

Ah, alright. I thought you were agreeing with him. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

v3ttel wrote: »
    Is there expected to be a shortage of PS4 games around launch? Obviously you're not going to get next or near a console if you haven't pre-ordered, but what about games?

I see Amazon aren't doing the free release date shipping any more. Even the quickest shipping option has an estimated delivery date of 2-3rd of Dec.

I haven't ordered any games yet. I'm still guessing I can just walk in and buy them? On the off chance I do have my console for release date, I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck until the 2nd or 3rd of Dec waiting for games..... and I definitely wouldn't want to be caught out by a short supply of them.

You will be safe enough just walking into the shop and buying them. The games are simply pressed Blu-Rays like this generation so there is no reason for a shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I pre ordered last night! I just hope I can change it to a bundle when one's available.

(Along with ordering Tearaway, Killzone M and Rayman Legends for my Vita off Amazon) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

So...?

Should every electronics company release detailed photos of the innards of every piece of equipment they manufacture now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Moneymaker wrote: »
    So...?

Should every electronics company release detailed photos of the innards of every piece of equipment they manufacture now?

They tend to..

But really it doesnt matter. Sony explained the specs in the first press conference. The FCC filing also outlines exactly whats in the device.

Why do you think they are hiding something? Do you think they will all of a sudden remove everything they've spend half a year sharing to the public..

Other than opening up one of my previous PS3s, I didn't see any official pictures of the inside of it.

I don't expect or care to see the inside of the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Probably because they Fcuked up so badly, they need to try be more honest.

Do you even remember what MS tried to do to consumers Next Gen?

If Sony hadn't of kicked their big ego ass, they wanted a Draconian, Money Printing "Entertainment Console".

I Know about hardware, i work in IT. This Updated clock speed on the CPU is them trying to make amends on a less powerful console that's €100 more expensive. Trying to justify the price. Same with Free FIFA 14 on pre-orders in europe.

They might be "forthComing" with these pictures of the machine hardware. But they are not so forthcoming with their business practices, ethic's or even their general honesty.

They said the Kinect was essential to the XBone, That it cannot function with out it.

Then they went full retard.

No more always online requirement
    The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
    All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
    An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
    All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
    No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
    Region locks have been dropped

Mandatory installs for ALL games on a NON-UPGRADEABLE HDD.

I've never been a Microsoft fan for anything, but they can die a horrible death after all that.

PS4 + Steam. That's all you'll need.

*Personal Opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Otacon wrote: »
    You will be safe enough just walking into the shop any buying them. The games are simply pressed Blu-Rays like this generation so there is no reason for a shortage.

I had a lot of trouble buying the last of us in mullingar a week after release. It was sold out everywhere. Of course, I'm not comparing that to the launch titles- but it is a launch of a new console (and the preorder numbers are very high); I would be fairly confident that a couple of the new games will be sold out in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There actually is no PS4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cienciano wrote: »
    There actually is no PS4

....it's all vapourware :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Liamario wrote: »
    I had a lot of trouble buying the last of us in mullingar a week after release. It was sold out everywhere. Of course, I'm not comparing that to the launch titles- but it is a launch of a new console (and the preorder numbers are very high); I would be fairly confident that a couple of the new games will be sold out in some places.

You could be right but the difference in my eyes is TLOU was a new IP for a current gen system that has an install base of over 70 million. They didn't know how well it would sell. The critical acclaim it got pushed many to buy it.

Retailers and publishers will know roughly how many PS4s they will have to sell. Therefore, they should be able to gauge quite accurately how many copies of the launch titles they will need and buy accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cienciano wrote: »
    There actually is no PS4

It's worse then that. It will be just a ps4 with ps1 hardware in it. They will sell all of those on launch day, then just close down Sony and enjoy all the money they made on some island, drinking cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

00073f04-642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They have a poster like Richard on the Xbox thread. He is also Richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I agree, now people can say "hey they never showed pictures of the insides of PS 3" but that was about 7 yrs ago. Console launches today are gigantic events broadcasted to millions using social media and we get loads more info than we used to get.

I think at this stage Sony may be behind due to some hiccup in manufacturing. Forgetting about the insides for the moment; they didn't even have a working retail PS4 at Gamescom....

Sony kept marketing their stats and power so they should show it off, since they didn't it tells me they are not ready. They should be proud to lift the hood and say "this is what we made".

They must not be confident to show it off. I agree Sony is great with hardware but this lowers my confidence. It doesn't cost Sony anything to show a PS4 and say take a look at the awesome job we did...

Still nothing from Sony saying why they didn't show a retail version at Gamescom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

You don't see any other company displaying the innards of their devices. Like Apple etc. Getting worried about Sony not unveiling the inside of the PS4 or the stats at this moment in time is just nitpicking. There's still plenty of time for them to do so, they're pretty confident in the system otherwise they wouldn't set a release date in stone for November. I've preorders down on both consoles and I don't get about what the inside of them looks like, I'm just happy to get them home and play the games. Simples!

I agree, now people can say "hey they never showed pictures of the insides of PS 3" but that was about 7 yrs ago. Console launches today are gigantic events broadcasted to millions using social media and we get loads more info than we used to get.

I think at this stage Sony may be behind due to some hiccup in manufacturing. Forgetting about the insides for the moment; they didn't even have a working retail PS4 at Gamescom....

Sony kept marketing their stats and power so they should show it off, since they didn't it tells me they are not ready. They should be proud to lift the hood and say "this is what we made".

They must not be confident to show it off. I agree Sony is great with hardware but this lowers my confidence. It doesn't cost Sony anything to show a PS4 and say take a look at the awesome job we did...

Still nothing from Sony saying why they didn't show a retail version at Gamescom.

Sony haven't done this before, we're talking decades of hardware, why they should start now i don't know...i realise ms have backtracked on everything, even copying PS+ free games deal, i like that Sony have their own strategy and are sticking to it, there's no - well ms have done this so we should too.

Their preorders are pretty much sold out, so not having confidence in them is a moot point if you haven't secured a preorder, once those preorders are filled there'll be plenty of teardowns available online.

With sonys track record, I'm not worried...they don't have to prove their console wont RRoD.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

With sonys track record, I'm not worried...they don't have to prove their console wont RRoD.

Seriously?:confused: After their DVD problems on the PS2 and the Blu-Ray failures on the early PS3s??

• Advertisement

Did they show the inside of a Vita?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement