Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Sony haven't done this before, we're talking decades of hardware, why they should start now i don't know...i realise ms have backtracked on everything, even copying PS+ free games deal, i like that Sony have their own strategy and are sticking to it, there's no - well ms have done this so we should too.

Their preorders are pretty much sold out, so not having confidence in them is a moot point if you haven't secured a preorder, once those preorders are filled there'll be plenty of teardowns available online.

With sonys track record, I'm not worried...they don't have to prove their console wont RRoD.

Sony had the ylod Xbox had rrod but basically same thing both systems failing

Xbox had more consoles "launch" failing but Sony have been steadily playing catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

For those asking to see the innards of the PS4 - what exactly do you want to learn? What will allay your fears? What about the Xbox One internals inspired confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Otacon wrote: »
    What about the Xbox One internals inspired confidence?

alot of breathable room

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sony look at breathable room as a waste of space, seeing as they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Grayditch wrote: »
    Sony look at breathable room as a waste of space, seeing as they know what they're doing.

Japanese= Small, Compact, elegant.

America= Big, Fat, 'Murica.

• Advertisement

Ha, pretty much. Although the first PS3 was a bit of a heffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I put another 30eu today on my ps4 preorder. It is at 380eu now.

360eu -ps4
    10eu - controller
    5eu -Killzone
    5eu -Knack

So hopefully september I will pay out ps4 fully then start on controller and games. It would be really satisfying just walking in at 29th, not paying a penny and walking away with all the ps4 goodies. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Grayditch wrote: »

il remember to quote your post after first month of launch :pac:

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    il remember to quote your post after first month of launch :pac:

Do you think the PS4 is going to have a bad failure rate?

alot of breathable room

But do you know what the air flow will be like inside the case? Do you know if there are any pockets that the air will not go through, allowing dust to build up there? If this does happen, do we know if this spot (or spots) contains any heat-sensitive components?

My point is, without knowing every aspect of the design, as well as the results of the stress tests, then all we are doing (or continuing to do) is guesswork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

alot of breathable room

The whole back of the console is ventilated and will have a some form of fan or passive cooling system.

613UPu7-VoL._SL1500_.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well, I put another 30eu today on my ps4 preorder. It is at 380eu now.

360eu -ps4
    10eu - controller
    5eu -Killzone
    5eu -Knack

So hopefully september I will pay out ps4 fully then start on controller and games. It would be really satisfying just walking in at 29th, not paying a penny and walking away with all the ps4 goodies. :o

I have 446.99 on the PS4....hoping to get a 500 Euro bundle with a game. If not i'll just get the camera and console for 460.

I have 45 on BF4 and COD:G, i have 52 quid on Knack...56 quid on Arkham Orgins for the PS3, and next week i'll start to psy off GTAV.

Think the last game i will get is Watchdogs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Forgetting the inside of the PS4 for the moment, Sony still haven't shown a working console.
    While Xbox had retail units at Gamescom Sony didn't have a retail version of the PS4 there so no one got to play games on a PS4..

Forgetting the inside of the PS4 for the moment, Sony still haven't shown a working console.
    While Xbox had retail units at Gamescom Sony didn't have a retail version of the PS4 there so no one got to play games on a PS4..

Big deal, its not like the console does not work, we have seen people playing the console already at their press conferences, they were not ran through a PC like the XBOX ones were, anyway it will be playable later this month at Eurogamer Expo 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

But they played on Dev kits. I don't think people seem to understand the gaming industry that much. I wouldn't even claim to be an expert regarding the industry but a dev kit that is pretty much exactly the same as the retail unit is just as good as using an actual retail unit. There won't be any difference at all.

The issue would be if they used a high end PC which had completely different specs to the PS4.

Xenji wrote: »
    Big deal, its not like the console does not work, we have seen people playing the console already at their press conferences, they were not ran through a PC like the XBOX ones were, anyway it will be playable later this month at Eurogamer Expo 2013.
    What we all have seen is dev kits, we have yet to see a working PS4, hopefully in a few weeks they will show a working retail unit.

What we all have seen is dev kits, we have yet to see a working PS4, hopefully in a few weeks they will show a working retail unit.

Yes on the the 26th of this month, in London, at the Eurogamer Expo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sorry, I'm missing the point here, we haven't seen a working retail unit, so what's being suggested? Is it that sony don't have a console?

I don't want to put words into your mouth so maybe you could explain what your point is.

Xenji wrote: »
    Yes on the the 26th of this month, in London, at the Eurogamer Expo.

I shall be there! Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭damoPL

I'm so excited for the PS4... Midnight launch can't come quick enough. BTW I'm going to fail my 6th year Christmas exams, thank you SONY <3 !!

• Advertisement

I shall be there! Can't wait.

How much were tickets to it? Since I'm living in London now I said I'd have a look but I see it's sold out (unsurprisingly).

tok9 wrote: »
    How much were tickets to it? Since I'm living in London now I said I'd have a look but I see it's sold out (unsurprisingly).

Good news! I have a spare ticket if you want it. PM me if you do.

EDIT: Sorry, I should clarify, it's a Saturday Day Ticket.

Good news! I have a spare ticket if you want it. PM me if you do.

EDIT: Sorry, I should clarify, it's a Saturday Day Ticket.

This is why I love Boards :D

Thanks Otacon, I knew you were a sound lad with a username like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

tok9 wrote: »
    But they played on Dev kits. I don't think people seem to understand the gaming industry that much. I wouldn't even claim to be an expert regarding the industry but a dev kit that is pretty much exactly the same as the retail unit is just as good as using an actual retail unit. There won't be any difference at all.

The issue would be if they used a high end PC which had completely different specs to the PS4.

FWIW the PS4 dev kits are high end PCs, they even run Windows and use Visual Studio.

That said, I doubt it matters much that they haven't shown retail hardware, I'm sure they have done extensive testing with units that will be identical to retail, and if there were any issues they would have delayed the launch by now.

stevenmu wrote: »
    FWIW the PS4 dev kits are high end PCs, they even run Windows and use Visual Studio.

Yes but the spec is very close to the PS4 spec

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Actually it's the alpha dev kits of each console that are high end PCs with components matching (and in some cases exceeding) the target spec of the final hardware. Generally when they move to the beta kits they're in a form factor closer to final retail with hardware to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Are some people really suggesting that MS are better at designing then Sony? Their control pad still takes battery's and they use an external power source that could be used to kill a human.

I mean look at the state of the 360 as a console in aesthetic terms, ghastly thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

RasTa wrote: »
    Are some people really suggesting that MS are better at designing then Sony? Their control pad still takes battery's and they use an external power source that could be used to kill a human.

I mean look at the state of the 360 as a console in aesthetic terms, ghastly thing.

I really cannot get my head around AA's in a controller at this stage! I did like the layout of the sticks on the 360 pad but that touchpad on the dualshock is really gonna be useful and after over 15 years of using sonys pads my hands have basically evolved along with them! :p

But don't you know that replacing batteries all the time is way easier than plugging the controller in for 20 mins...

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

Sony should be complimented for the amazing design achievement of the PS4 but I wouldn't include their controller in this. I do think the controller is good but nothing special.

The Xbox One controller is just incredible. Even Wii U went out and made a copy of the XB 360 joypad layout. The XB1 controller has independent trigger rumble, the thumbsticks are in the most effective position and overall it just looks sleek.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement