Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Sony should be complimented for the amazing design achievement of the PS4 but I wouldn't include their controller in this. I do think the controller is good but nothing special.

The Xbox One controller is just incredible. Even Wii U went out and made a copy of the XB 360 joypad layout. The XB1 controller has independent trigger rumble, the thumbsticks are in the most effective position and overall it just looks sleek.

I agree, I think Sony really dropped the ball with the controller yet again, there is so much room for improvement on it. As for the touchpad, yeah it will be handy for browsing the net, but I think it'll go the way the sixaxis did. I don't think I have even seen the touchpad been used in a game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Sony should be complimented for the amazing design achievement of the PS4 but I wouldn't include their controller in this. I do think the controller is good but nothing special.

The Xbox One controller is just incredible. Even Wii U went out and made a copy of the XB 360 joypad layout. The XB1 controller has independent trigger rumble, the thumbsticks are in the most effective position and overall it just looks sleek.

The controller still is my main concern about the console. I dont want to rely on 3rd party controllers that are both expensive and wired, doesnt have the touchpad etc...

If I dont like the ps4 controller, I think I may sell the console on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is strange then that nearly every reviewer has been praising the new controller and saying it is the best design that Sony have done so far, you cannot really judge it till you have it in your hands, plus the Xbox controller is ghastly and always has been in my opinion or maybe that is due to having a PS controller in my hands for 18 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Xenji wrote: »
    It is strange then that nearly every reviewer has been praising the new controller and saying it is the best design that Sony have done so far, you cannot really judge it till you have it in your hands

Surely the last few replies are from people who have tried it. ....surely. Guys?

Both the XBox 1 and PS4 controllers are pretty much the same shape as the current controllers. And the 360 controller is far superior than that of the PS3 (minus the d-pad, which is terrible on the 360). The position of the analog sticks make the 360 controller much more comfortable and easier to use.

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    Both the XBox 1 and PS4 controllers are pretty much the same shape as the current controllers. And the 360 controller is far superior than that of the PS3 (minus the d-pad, which is terrible on the 360). The position of the analog sticks make the 360 controller much more comfortable and easier to use.

So your commenting on something you have not yet had in your hand, basically your argument is null and void till then, go read up on some reviews of the new PS controller, it is quite different from the PS3 model, it might surprise you.

So your commenting on something you have not yet had in your hand, basically your argument is null and void till then, go read up on some reviews of the new PS controller, it is quite different from the PS3 model, it might surprise you.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that i have seen the controller first hand. They haven't addressed the main issue with the current controller, the position of the left analog stick.

All MS had to do was improve the d-pad and then the controller would be perfect. But no, they have gone the extra mile and added a rumble to the triggers which is a fantastic feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have you used both of th new controllers? If not what are you waffling about. I mark the xbone pad 0 due to the fact they are still making you use batteries. Huge annoyance of mine.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that i have seen the controller first hand. They haven't addressed the main issue with the current controller, the position of the left analog stick.

All MS had to do was improve the d-pad and then the controller would be perfect. But no, they have gone the extra mile and added a rumble to the triggers which is a fantastic feature.

The position of the analog sticks on the Xbox controller is the main issue why I do not like the thing, I find it to be very poorly designed compared to the PS controller, it does not sit in the hand well. If Sony had changed the analog position you would of had uproar over it and I am quite glad they did not.

So you have only seen it then, ever hear the line " looks can be deceiving " you cannot really comment on something you have not used yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

The position of the analog sticks on the Xbox controller is the main issue why I do not like the thing, I find it to be very poorly designed compared to the PS controller, it does not sit in the hand well. If Sony had changed the analog position you would of had uproar over it and I am quite glad they did not.

So you have only seen it then, ever hear the line " looks can be deceiving " you cannot really comment on something you have not used yet.

Have you used the Playstation controller?

• Advertisement

TheGunns wrote: »
    Have you used the Playstation controller?

Not yet, but there are plenty of reviews and videos out there saying how it has been improved and none so far have been negative about it, even people who post here and were at Gamescom have said it is a vast improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Not yet, but there are plenty of reviews and videos out there saying how it has been improved and none so far have been negative about it, even people who post here and were at Gamescom have said it is a vast improvement.

Once the L2 R2 triggers hold the finger better that enough of an improvement for me!

Well if you haven't then there's no reason to tell someone who hasn't used the Xbox one that they can't comment and then comment on something you haven't used yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sure Sony have done nothing with the controller, its the same as the last one.

Oh, wait.

5bnfIbT.gif[\img]

Well if you haven't then there's no reason to tell someone who hasn't used the Xbox one that they can't comment and then comment on something you haven't used yet either.

Xbox? we are talking about the PS4 controller, I was the one saying he should not judge it till he used it, that's all or was that not obvious enough for you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I love new controller, oh how can I love it if I haven't tried it? Am I not allowed to love it (and say it) ?

They are not out (PS4 Xb1) yet so at this stage I think we are allowed to opinion based on pictures or specs.

Wow, you'd think I posted a review bashing the thing! All I'm saying is they don't seem to have corrected the major gripe I've had with the DS3, and as a result the Xbox One seems the better controller. Yes, I haven't used it but I can see the position of the analog sticks and I prefer the 360 positioning.

Plus, I don't care about the touchpad, as 90% of the games won't use it in a meaningful way if the sixaxis is anything to go by. Would much prefer rumble on the triggers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Would much prefer rumble on the triggers tbh.

Not entirely sure why anyone would want that. Sounds like a novelty rather than a substantial innovation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

i wonder if chubby usb drives will have a problem fitting into those front usb slots?
    not much space it seems......

kingston-hyperx-predator-usb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Ah jaysus where did you find that yoke?

Edit: They cost €1200. I don't think we need to worry too much about people paying twice the price of their console for extra storage.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-Predator-1TB-DTHXP30/dp/B00E65QM8O

• Advertisement

Xbox? we are talking about the PS4 controller, I was the one saying he should not judge it till he used it, that's all or was that not obvious enough for you :rolleyes:

Oh really?
    Xenji wrote:
    The position of the analog sticks on the Xbox controller is the main issue why I do not like the thing

Oh really?

We were talking about the old controller, follow the conversation :pac:

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Not entirely sure why anyone would want that. Sounds like a novelty rather than a substantial innovation.

Just curious, do you think standard rumble is a novelty?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ i think the new xbox triggers are great....wish the DS4 had the extra rumble in the front triggers.
    That is a + for the X1 and - for the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rilgar

Looking forward to this. Now, trying to find the right place to preorder it is gonna be the tricky part....I'm in Limerick so any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just curious, do you think standard rumble is a novelty?

No because it was an innovation which helped with the immersion. Vibration in your hands added to the game, but imo tickling your finger tips is a novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

^ i think the new xbox triggers are great....wish the DS4 had the extra rumble in the front triggers.
    That is a + for the X1 and - for the PS4.

Have you used the either controller? If not, how can you tell that it is a plus or minus for either?

I have said it a few times now but it's worth repeating: a friend I trust used both controllers at E3. In this gen, he much preferred the 360's controller. After his hands-on, he preferred the DS4.

He loved the analog sticks, the triggers and the grips on the DS4. He disliked the touchpad and the placement of the Options and Share button.

As for the XB1 controller, he said the d-pad was good, not great and the analog sticks were far too loose.

Anyway, I will be getting my hands on both of them in a few weeks - we'll see then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I had to turn off vibration playing Borderlands 2 after getting a gun that was constantly vibrating from Moxxi, the gun was decent so I turned vibration off and completely forgot about it till now. Normal vibration isn't used well in most games (that Borderlands gun being a funny exception) and I'd doubt it'll be used well in the ONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Leaked pictures showing warehouse PS4 pictures
    ps4leak1.jpg
    ps4leak2.jpg
    ....Uploaded in China by a user on A9VG, via Neogaf, the photographs below show flat boxes being piled up at a PlayStation 4 factory, as well as finished product stacked up and ready to ship out.

Apparently, according to the boss of this particular factory, they are shipping out one million consoles from these premises alone......

oh how exciting !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I can't believe people still care about the rumble function. A vibrating counterweight was cool back when the Gamecube was cutting edge technology, but on a PS4/Xbone? And even then you stopped noticing after the 2nd or 3rd time it went off. Pointless feature on a controller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement