Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Evil Within new game play footage

A more detailed look at PS Vita TV, it will work over a WiFi network, but the remote play will not be implemented till a later date, probably due to the delay with Gaikai till early next year.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/why-ps-vita-tv-could-be-a-game-changer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Xenji wrote: »
    A more detailed look at PS Vita TV, it will work over a WiFi network, but the remote play will not be implemented till a later date, probably due to the delay with Gaikai till early next year.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/why-ps-vita-tv-could-be-a-game-changer

well its released in November in Japan so PS4 isn't hitting Japan until Feb 2014, thats the only reason for delay. Its just means anyone in japan that imports a european or us console wont have remote play feature.

well its released in November in Japan so PS4 isn't hitting Japan until Feb 2014, thats the only reason for delay. Its just means anyone in japan that imports a european or us console wont have remote play feature.

Hopefully, wonder what would happen if you imported it from Japan, it is already sold out in amazon.jp after one day.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674081

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Hopefully, wonder what would happen if you imported it from Japan, it is already sold out in amazon.jp after one day.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674081

I wonder how many units that actually is.

Good news for the vita anyway.

Looks like the Japanese are not that upset about getting the PS4 next year and loved the announcement of the new Vita's
    Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia’s 2013 press conference is history. The PS4′s Japanese release date has been revealed, and we have not one, but two new PlayStation Vita models coming (even if one doesn’t have its own screens and controls), but since a lot of the content was targeting the Japanese viewers, did they like it?

According to Nico Nico’s rating system, hell yes, they did.

After the broadcast a menu was displayed to let the viewers vote their appreciation of the conference, and the results was pretty much a landslide victory for the positive options. Here’s a breakdown:
    It was very good: 70.6%
    It was pretty good: 18.1%
    It was average: 5.1%
    It wasn’t very good: 2.4%
    It was bad: 3.8%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭jones

Slightly OT but what are peoples thoughts on the new vita? i have the vita at the moment and am i bit peeved there's a new version even if thickness does not make a difference the better battery life is a big one for me. What does everyone think about the change from OLED to LCD? purely a cost saving technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

jones wrote: »
    Slightly OT but what are peoples thoughts on the new vita? i have the vita at the moment and am i bit peeved there's a new version even if thickness does not make a difference the better battery life is a big one for me. What does everyone think about the change from OLED to LCD? purely a cost saving technique?

I was a little annoyed at first mainly because I would have loved a green one, but after seeing they're all really bright/pastel colours I'm much happier with the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've a vita and I don't mind at all. Sure I'd like more battery but it's only an additional hour.

No idea how big the difference is with the screens but I do love the OLED on the vita so I've no intention of upgrading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Klair88 wrote: »
    A Day with Playstation:

One of the Coolest ads i've ever seen. SONY are killing it. All this looks amazing.

Dat Blue Pulse.

29th November.

Most annoying ad ever, put me off PS4; 'cos everyone runs around like that gaming.. Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

mozattack wrote: »
    Most annoying ad ever, put me off PS4; 'cos everyone runs around like that gaming.. Ha ha

I don't think it's the acting that people find impressive, more the host of features and functionality on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Can't say that ad would put me off PS4, it's just showing the possibilities. I know how the functionality will come into action in my own life, after watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

cant risk taken out a vita in public in dublin or on a bus, might get robbed :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Just like your phone/ipod/tablet/kindle might get robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Really? I play my Vita all the time on the train in Dublin. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

EGriff wrote: »
    Just like your phone/ipod/tablet/kindle might get robbed?

you say that now :L just wait until someday a ****er snatchs it outta your hand
    how do you think gamestop is still open, everyone sells the robbed phones , ipads and all in their :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

you say that now :L just wait until someday a ****er snatchs it outta your hand
    how do you think gamestop is still open, everyone sells the robbed phones , ipads and all in their :pac:

They rob us then gamestop robs them.. We still don't win haha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What train you using m8? What's your trip schedule? Just asking, no reason. :)

Same. I use it every day on the District line into and from work. I also use a wrist strap so maybe that is enough of a deterrent.

TBH I feel more insecure about my phone than my Vita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Otacon wrote: »
    Same. I use it every day on the District line into and from work. I also use a wrist strap so maybe that is enough of a deterrent.

TBH I feel more insecure about my phone than my Vita.

Wrist straps seem unimportant but they are really essential! Even take one of some camera or a WiiRemote as one drop and your vita is banjanxed!

aindriu80 wrote: »
    is there much of a difference in LED and OLED ? I think LED might be enough

Yeah, there is a fair difference. They are totally different technologies, no similarity at all in how they work.

In use OLED has deeper blacks (better contrast), more vibrant colour and massively faster pixel transitions (less ghosting).

So called LED displays are actually LCD, calling them LED was a marketing trick to make people buy new TVs thinking it was a new technology and somehow related to OLED which they knew was on the horizon.

LCD can have higher peak brightness (though not always) which helps see it in bright environments. Its also more stable, OLED uses organic phosphors so will dim over time like CRT and the different colour subpixels may dim at varying rates.

OLED is superior in terms of PQ and the only reason to switch to LCD is cost cutting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah, there is a fair difference. They are totally different technologies, no similarity at all in how they work.

In use OLED has deeper blacks (better contrast), more vibrant colour and massively faster pixel transitions (less ghosting).

So called LED displays are actually LCD, calling them LED was a marketing trick to make people buy new TVs thinking it was a new technology and somehow related to OLED which they knew was on the horizon.

LCD can have higher peak brightness (though not always) which helps see it in bright environments. Its also more stable, OLED uses organic phosphors so will dim over time like CRT and the different colour subpixels may dim at varying rates.

OLED is superior in terms of PQ and the only reason to switch to LCD is cost cutting.

This isn't true. There are differences between OLED and IPS (the type of LCD screen the new Vita is using) but there is no clear winner in quality, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

OLED has better blacks and more vibrant colours. The colours can be over saturated though so they "pop" and look unnatural. Also, they aren't great at whites which appear yellow or blue. IPS screens on the other hand are brighter and are better for accurate colour reproduction so the colours are more natural.

A lot of high end phones and tablets use IPS displays, iPhone, iPad, Nexus 4, HTC One. They use high quality displays that are great and could hardly be called cheap. Having used phones with both types of displays, while the blacks of OLED are great the off coloured whites really annoy me so I'd take the IPS over OLED.

Also, the reason a lot of TVs and monitors are called LEDs is because they use an LED array instead of a big lamp for a backlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

dniYX8f.jpg
    Top is OLED, bottom is LCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Seen as you have 2 can i have the spare one ;) lol kidding but been honest don't see much diffrence in the two

Seen as you have 2 can i have the spare one ;) lol kidding but been honest don't see much diffrence in the two

Posted this picture earlier in the Vita thread, it is far better at showing the difference

ku-xlarge.jpg

This isn't true.

It is.

IPS displays have poor black levels (no better than TN), slow pixel transitions. Without an ATW polarizer they have terrible IPS glow. Cheap IPS displays of the type used in the new Vita are almost always 6-bit with dithering, colour accuracy is nothing to boast about.

Consumer LCD displays suffer from uneven lighting across the panel, it makes them very unsuitable for colour critical work. LED backlit panels that use PWM to control backlight intensity create eyestrain due to the rapid decay time of LED vs CCFL. In fact CCFL backlit displays were still considered superior for professional use up until recently, that was another trick pulled on consumers.

OLED is the superior technology, it will eventually replace LCD, there is a reason why display manufacturers are pouring hundreds of millions into R&D. If it was not superior they would just keep all those millions and keep making the same LCDs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭jones

Posted this picture earlier in the Vita thread, it is far better at showing the difference

ku-xlarge.jpg

Wow the one on the top is far better looking. I presume thats the original OLED vita?

• Advertisement

Wow the one on the top is far better looking. I presume thats the original OLED vita?

It is. You can tell them apart by checking where the 'Sony' name is. The OLED model has it above the D-pad. The new one has it above the top left of the screen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement