Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭jones

Cant believe how poor the LCD version looks in that pic its like the colour temp is set totally different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

jones wrote: »
    Cant believe how poor the LCD version looks in that pic its like the colour temp is set totally different

Unfortunately, if we do see a PS4-Vita bundle anytime soon, it will undoubtedly be the LCD Vita included.

Get one now if you want the best piece of hardware.

I have the original Vita since launch but when i heard the new version was slimmer had better battery i was intrigued. Think i'll be holding onto my OLED version thank you very much Sony haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I don't think a photograph is the best way to judge them really. We don't know how good the camera was or if they're held at slightly different angles.

I dont think the camera being good or not comes into it seeing as they are both in the same picture so its a level playing field. But i take your point about angles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There wasn't much difference in the Uncharted images posted, we'll have to wait until someone actually gets their hands on the them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Varik wrote: »
    There wasn't much difference in the Uncharted images posted, we'll have to wait until someone actually gets their hands on the them.

i saw distinct color hue differences....the oled image looked much clearer/cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Thought this was pretty good

ibzG4p2WboFlCL.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Never thought it would and it was never announced that it did, so it is not really news, this is why you have the likes of Twitch and it did not work on the PS3 either.

Its a very misleading video as you can upload your gameplay clips to Youtube directly from your PS4. However, if you wanted to record gameplay and edit it on your PC, like 99% of game channels do, then you need to record it with an external device such as a Capture Card. With HDCP, it prevents the use of a external device.

Ignore the thread title, but it has been debunked on NeoGAF already http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675693

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm sure there are ways around it. Maybe not for Machinima, though. I've never used Twitch, but Youtube is so awful these days.

Bit sensationalist alright makes out like its a massive deal when in reality (in my case anyway) it isnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm sure there are ways around it. Maybe not for Machinima, though. I've never used Twitch, but Youtube is so awful these days.

Twitch is going to **** the bed with the new consoles it can barely handle the traffic it gets right now. If LCS is on with 120K viewers the entire site goes to crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

And can Facebook show Hd video? Maybe Machinima are worried that they won't make much money, as I'm sure they get a few quid from their Youtube page.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

That youtube crap is sensationalist sh!t. AFAIK The share feature was made for Social Networking and Livestreaming and YT is sh!T at livestreaming anyway. That's why Sony are going with Ustream and Twitch.

Also, that video almost gives off the impression that all PS4 footage cannot be uploaded to YT?

Here's a Video of Mark Cerny saying you can share it on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Grayditch wrote: »
    And can Facebook show Hd video? Maybe Machinima are worried that they won't make much money, as I'm sure they get a few quid from their Youtube page.

No atm.
    Youtube as a gaming media platform has/is plateaued/very slowly dying as a lot more people want to watch livestreams.

Machinima have no hold on Livestreaming and and their monopoly on youtube is long dead. They've also shafted so many of their partners that they wont be touched by bigger channels now. Over the last year i know theyve dropped the amount of ad revenue to partners at least once

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Doesn't affect me personally but I imagine it would for checking out gaming reviews and news.

As an example I pretty much check out everything on Rev3games YouTube channel so I imagine it would affect them for their video reviews at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Also, The less 12 year old "Quikscopers" flooding YT with crap un-imaginative gameplay, The better. Everyone thinks they can be a YT Star nowadays and its diluting the quality very badly.

I only follow about 5 or 6 large YT Channels and thats all i need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Klair88 wrote: »
    Also, The less 12 year old "Quikscopers" flooding YT with crap un-imaginative gameplay, The better. Everyone thinks they can be a YT Star nowadays and its diluting the quality very badly.

I only follow about 5 or 6 large YT Channels and thats all i need.

Even that is too many imo. 2-3 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Yeah, there is a fair difference. They are totally different technologies, no similarity at all in how they work.

In use OLED has deeper blacks (better contrast), more vibrant colour and massively faster pixel transitions (less ghosting).

So called LED displays are actually LCD, calling them LED was a marketing trick to make people buy new TVs thinking it was a new technology and somehow related to OLED which they knew was on the horizon.

LCD can have higher peak brightness (though not always) which helps see it in bright environments. Its also more stable, OLED uses organic phosphors so will dim over time like CRT and the different colour subpixels may dim at varying rates.

OLED is superior in terms of PQ and the only reason to switch to LCD is cost cutting.

Sony got on about the LCD technology yesterday or today and said LCD was up to what OLED is in the Vita.

I would love to compare the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

EGriff wrote: »
    I don't think a photograph is the best way to judge them really. We don't know how good the camera was or if they're held at slightly different angles.

We can see that they're being held at completely different angles. It's like those photos of people who have lost loads of weight on some miracle diet but can't have two even vaguely similar pictures taken.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Sony got on about the LCD technology yesterday or today and said LCD was up to what OLED is in the Vita.

I would love to compare the two.

Sony have fallen behind in terms of OLED development compared to their rivals. You'll notice that large-size OLED TVs have recently been launched by LG and Samsung (and have been reviewed as basically the finest looking TVs ever made), but Sony have not been able to launch one. They are having production issues.

Because of that, they are going to try to keep pushing LCD displays as 'just as good' for as long as possible, with triluminous gimmicks etc.

So you need to take their comments in that context, they are trying to downplay the superiority of OLED for the moment.

It was a cost cutting measure... and that's okay, as long as it is cheaper. But anyone who wants the best panel will be snapping up the old OLED models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

tok9 wrote: »
    Thought this was pretty good

ibzG4p2WboFlCL.gif

Great Gif! but I think I'm missing something with regards to how people are impressed with the PS4 stripe. It really irks me how the blue light doesn't go the full width.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I take it if my vita ever breaks that I still have the option to buy a new one with an OLED screen right? They are not only going to sell this new one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a PS Vita thread one thread down, folks. Can we reserve this one for PS4 discussion? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Lads I've just read that GTA 5 won't be on the PS4.. is that true ? :( I'm getting one at release and wanted this game.. with the PS3 game play on the PS4 ? .. why are Rockstar not making a PS4 one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

NeVeR wrote: »
    Lads I've just read that GTA 5 won't be on the PS4.. is that true ? :( I'm getting one at release and wanted this game.. with the PS3 game play on the PS4 ? .. why are Rockstar not making a PS4 one ?

If its coming out on PC then it will be coming out on PS4 and the XBONE. If they stated that the game was coming out on the PS4 and OBONE quite a few people would not buy them at launch and it would affect sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I'd like to think this would be the last ''hurrah'' to this gaming generation and in that sense keep GTA V on the 360, Ps3 and PC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I genuinely don't see it being on the next gen consoles any time soon. A couple of years after GTA Online, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I do not necessarily want to see it on the PS4, let them focus on a new Red Dead game or even try and get Agent out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement