Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Obviously it's crap considering the Hard drive size but at least we should be able to start playing it while it downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

tok9 wrote: »
    Obviously it's crap considering the Hard drive side but at least we should be able to start playing it while it downloads.

They say that, but I'd say if your anywhere outside a major city you'll see the intro logos and be told "Please wait..." for the next 4 days.

They say that, but I'd say if your anywhere outside a major city you'll see the intro logos and be told "Please wait..." for the next 4 days.

Well I imagine the speed of your broadband will have an effect on it but it's definitely a lot better than what we currently have with the PS3.

I imagine downloads for one will be quicker on the PS4 andeven with a crap connection (Let's say 1MB) I'd imagine you'd be able to start playing through a game you are downloading within 15 - 20 mins..

Of course, that's all guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well I imagine the speed of your broadband will have an effect on it but it's definitely a lot better than what we currently have with the PS3.

I imagine downloads for one will be quicker on the PS4 andeven with a crap connection (Let's say 1MB) I'd imagine you'd be able to start playing through a game you are downloading within 15 - 20 mins..

Of course, that's all guess work.

Not a hope on a 1Mb, it would take over 120 hours with a good connection to download a 50 Gig game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I can hear my 0.8MB cry in the distance

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Not a hope on a 1Mb, it would take over 120 hours with a good connection to download a 50 Gig game.

Ah now come on. it'd take nearly a week on a good connection? That's a bit of an exaggeration

On a 12 - 14MB connection, I managed to download and install roughly 180GB of games (inc Uncharted 3 which was 45GB) in roughly 4 days and that wasn't even 4 full days. More like 4-6 hours a day.

The PS4 will be without doubt a lot quicker for downloading things and as I said if, and it is a big if, playing while downloading works. It'll be a hell of a lot better for everyone.

Ah now come on. it'd take nearly a week on a good connection? That's a bit of an exaggeration

On a 12 - 14MB connection, I managed to download and install roughly 180GB of games (inc Uncharted 3 which was 45GB) in roughly 4 days and that wasn't even 4 full days. More like 4-6 hours a day.

The PS4 will be without doubt a lot quicker for downloading things and as I said if, and it is a big if, playing while downloading works. It'll be a hell of a lot better for everyone.

As in a good 1Mb connection :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

PSN speed are not consistent, I've downloaded 50GB in a few hours before but there's been times it's taken the same to download 1GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I am geting my efibre Wed so very interested how my downloads will be effect on ps3!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I am geting my efibre Wed so very interested how my downloads will be effect on ps3!

I got efibre lately and speed on pan increased, but not as greatly as I expected. I can pump on 4mb per second easily on steam, but no way I am getting that on psn.

Still though, I never was annoyed at those speeds on psn. I sort of have a lot of other devices to play around :)

• Advertisement

Just got my efibre, test downloaded Bulletstorm 6GB and said will take 45min!!!

3006505998.png

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

If anyone is on twitter, i Highly recommend you follow Shuhei Yoshida on it. (@yosp). He's an absolute legend on it and always interacts with fans and answers questions! He's head of 1st party development for all PS games!

He has RT'd my gaming account (@bandofbroz) loads of times and given me great exposure, and i always get a reply from him! Great to see a Gamer Gaming Executive Co-running PlayStation!

A lot of confirmed PS4 details have come straight from him on twitter. He's hilarious too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I have asked him two questions via tweets but he hasn't answered them. I think it speaks to his willingness to engage with fans that makes me more disappointed that he hasn't responded. I don't think there is another executive of a company I would feel this way about!

Just got my efibre, test downloaded Bulletstorm 6GB and said will take 45min!!!

3006505998.png

That is about right, it will probably speed up near the end, it has always been the same way on the PS3, you should be able to download at 4.0 mb/s but with Eircom that will be more like 3.0 - 3.5 mb/s, your download speed also depends on how fast or loaded the server is your downloading from.

That is about right, it will probably speed up near the end, it has always been the same way on the PS3, you should be able to download at 4.0 mb/s but with Eircom that will be more like 3.0 - 3.5 mb/s, your download speed also depends on how fast or loaded the server is your downloading from.

Estimated download speeds for one 50GB PS4 game
    0.5 Mbps: ten days

2 Mbps: 55 hours

10 Mbps: 11 hours

30 Mbps: 3 hr 45 mins

50 Mbps: 2 hr 15 mins

100 Mbps: 1 hr 10 mins

1 Gbps (1000 Mbps): 7 minutes

http://www.stuff.tv/node/1427368

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

I have 30 Mbps just wonder what Sony will charge for it doh getting disc version

That is just your line speed, your download speed is different and like I said depends on the server you're downloading from, on a perfect day which will never happen it will take you 3 and a half hours to download a 50 gig game and on a normal day it will be between 5-6 hours. Still if you are able to download the game before it comes out and it then activates at midnight, it is no great loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just wondering if anyone knows if we will be able to continue our PS3 saves onto the PS4 of like FIFA or NBA?

astonaidan wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if we will be able to continue our PS3 saves onto the PS4 of like FIFA or NBA?

No you are not able to transfer save files for single player, just for online multiplayer.

• Advertisement

That is just your line speed, your download speed is different and like I said depends on the server you're downloading from, on a perfect day which will never happen it will take you 3 and a half hours to download a 50 gig game and on a normal day it will be between 5-6 hours. Still if you are able to download the game before it comes out and it then activates at midnight, it is no great loss.

I'm just glad discs will be around a while yet. I only bought TLOU digital because I had not pre ordered it an needed to play it! That took me near 3 days to download!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

padair wrote: »
    For anyone who has preordered in Smiths,

I was in there today at lunch time they do not know what bundles they will be getting. The lad in there thinks that will know around a week before launch which is a bit crazy. He told me to keep checking their website as they might put the details of the bundles up there.

number 12 on the preorder list. Brings me back to my childhood soccer days. How some things never change.

I mailed their customer service and this is the response that I got:

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your email.

We do not have any information on bundles as of yet.

Please keep an eye on our website for updates.

Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Claire
    Customer Service Dept.
    Smyths Toys Superstores

Was told by the manager of my Gamestop at the weekend who is also a mate of mine that you cannot pre-order bundles, the people on the first list will be called sooner to the time and asked if they want to upgrade starting from the first person and working down, if they do they will have put another 20 Euro down for it, he reckons that they will not get that large of a amount, so the earlier you pre-ordered the more of a chance you have to be offered one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Was told by the manager of my Gamestop at the weekend who is also a mate of mine that you cannot pre-order bundles, the people on the first list will be called sooner to the time and asked if they want to upgrade starting from the first person and working down, if they do they will have put another 20 Euro down for it, he reckons that they will not get that large of a amount, so the earlier you pre-ordered the more of a chance you have to be offered one.

I ordered in june and was told approx. 60 people had pre-ordered.
    Hopefully it will filter down that far - not too hopeful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Not every gamestop has a list so not sure how that will work tbh

cadete wrote: »
    Not every gamestop has a list so not sure how that will work tbh

The majority of them are, only a handful of stores are not using lists and it will be a free for all in those stores on launch day, nobody will be guaranteed a console unless they camp out the night before in those stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

been watching some footage of youtubers at eurogamer. lots of compliments on the dualshock 4 and the games looked stunning. my hype is increasing by the week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It's gonna feel like years waiting for November 29th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

November 15th release for me so not as long but as it's so close I've stopped looking at games for the PS3 altogether. I picked up TLOU last week only because it was in the pre-owned section and available at $49. 43 days 8hrs and 8 minutes till I get it assuming a midnight release.

W

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

No you are not able to transfer save files for single player, just for online multiplayer.
    So Fifa Ultimate team will be good to continue?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement