Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭jones

mozattack wrote: »
    COD Ghosts... LMFAO!

BF4, why even ask?

I probably will get BF4 aswell but i'm talking about another type of game no point having new console with only shooters...well there is a point but i want some variety god dammit haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

It was definitely not final build, and even still I'm not sure I'd call 10 levels, one map, and a small amount of weapons a full release.

To be honest I'm slightly biased anyway. As a rule of thumb I generally don't buy anything passed the third iteration of an fps if it stays in the same kind of era. I find they just get really boring and tedious. The only exception will be Killzone 4 as I've yet to play one so it'll be something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Speaking of TV's, anyone done some research on a good "next gen" TV?

Im looking at the Samsung F6800 Amazon Works out about 900 from Amazon +delivery or whatever, €1150 on Pcworld.ie
    Great reviews on Amazon, and if you take out the "Smart" extras, appear to be a really good TV for that price.

I've only really looked at Samsung, as I have one already and it's a great Tv.

Not sure if it's worth it's own thread closer to the date with deals/offers etc.

Edit: Pixmania €949 Delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

flynner13 wrote: »

Im looking at the Samsung F6800 Amazon Works out about 900 from Amazon +delivery or whatever, €1150 on Pcworld.ie
    Great reviews on Amazon, and if you take out the "Smart" extras, appear to be a really good TV for that price.

Not sure if it's worth it's own thread closer to the date with deals/offers etc.

im buying this tv in a few weeks http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl39e6b/pana-txl39e6b-bk it got some awards. richersounds on boards sell tvs for alot cheaper than anwhere else so i advise you start a thread there before oyu make a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭jones

I have the samsung 64F8500 plasma and its an absolute beast. I love it for gaming...the colours and blacks are amazing. One thing thats been noted in reviews is there is a relatively high input lag for serious gaming but i've never noticed. Samsung have a "cheat" that if you rename the input as PC it lowers lag so i've that done and can honestly say i haven't noticed any discernable lag.

I dont know the exact tv you're talking about but i'm thinking any of the half decent TV's will do the trick afterall all the new consoles will be doing is 1080P :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Be wary of pixmania as some of the models are eastern Europe and you wont be able to access any of the smart functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

MarkY91 wrote: »
    im buying this tv in a few weeks http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl39e6b/pana-txl39e6b-bk it got some awards. richersounds on boards sell tvs for alot cheaper than anwhere else so i advise you start a thread there before oyu make a decision

I'll defo have a look at that one, especially for the price.
    jones wrote: »
    I have the samsung 64F8500 plasma and its an absolute beast. I love it for gaming...the colours and blacks are amazing. One thing thats been noted in reviews is there is a relatively high input lag for serious gaming but i've never noticed. Samsung have a "cheat" that if you rename the input as PC it lowers lag so i've that done and can honestly say i haven't noticed any discernable lag.

I dont know the exact tv you're talking about but i'm thinking any of the half decent TV's will do the trick afterall all the new consoles will be doing is 1080P :-)

That certainly is a beast, bit on the expensive side though.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing, there can't be that much difference, as 1080p will be the standard soon, happy to give up Smart/3D features for bigger/better quality TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

That certainly is a beast, bit on the expensive side though.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing, there can't be that much difference, as 1080p will be the standard soon, happy to give up Smart/3D features for bigger/better quality TV.

Why not just get a monitor for gaming instead of getting a completely new tv? Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The PS4's DualShock 4 controller won't make use of analogue face buttons. VentureBeat reveals that the next-gen controller won't be able to sense how hard you're pressing its buttons, unlike the PlayStation 3's DualShock.

"With the DualShock 3, we were able to get analog data, which games didn’t really use," said Sony product planning manager Toshimasa Aoki. "For DualShock 4, we deleted that, and now it’s all digital. The mechanism inside is a little different, and the data that games get is different."

Found this funny.
    Alongside this news, Aoki made a pretty startling revelation; the face buttons on the DualShock 3 aren't equally spaced. Square and Circle are, in fact, slightly further apart than Triangle and X. Amusingly, it wasn't until Sony was beginning work on the DualShock 4 that it was properly noticed.

"Nobody noticed it. Actually, when we were testing and laying it out, we said, ‘Hey, the DualShock 3 isn’t really the same distance there,'" he explained. "When we designed the DualShock 4, we wanted the touchpad to be in the middle and as large as possible but not enough to make the controller really big. We made the square and circle a little closer, so they’re the same distance as all the buttons. That saves horizontal space to have more for the touchpad."

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/10/24/ps4s-controller-ditches-its-analogue-buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if we'll see as many people coming out and complaining about the digital buttons as there were for the Wii U controller when those digital buttons were revealed.

• Advertisement

im 90% getting this one but i want to do more research on other tvs before i make my decision. i wouldnt mind a few suggestions from guys here about a tv for aout 600-700 thats suited for gaming above gimmick smart tv apps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

im 90% getting this one but i want to do more research on other tvs before i make my decision. i wouldnt mind a few suggestions from guys here about a tv for aout 600-700 thats suited for gaming above gimmick smart tv apps

I got a 40" SEG one from Amazon about 2 years ago for about €280 in the Black Friday sale and is what I use to game on, it actually has a better picture than the Bravia we have which cost over twice as much, so basically what I am saying is that price is not everything when it comes to televisions.

a fairly interesting article of the launch games for ps4

http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-launch-minus-the-hype-1450976276
    Anticipation is building, and the release date is mere weeks away. There's no denying that a significant chunk of the gaming internet is awfully excited about the launch of the PlayStation 4. I recently had a chance to sit down with the console's big exclusive games and, without taking anything away from the console itself, found a reality less exciting than the hype would indicate.P

Last Wednesday I attended a press event at Sony's corporate campus in San Mateo, about 30 minutes south of San Francisco. The event was designed to give the press a closer look at the Sony-published games that will be launching exclusively alongside the PlayStation 4. After I arrived, the press was divided into two groups and shuffled off to one of two rooms. The first room was dedicated entirely to the first-person shooter Killzone Shadow Fall, and the other contained a handful of smaller indie games, as well as the family-friendly action game Knack. P

Mod edit: When quoting articles, only quote a small portion and include a link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

that post above me is seriously depressing but hes quite right:pac: cant wait for a few years time to see the real potential of next gen consoles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    that post above me is seriously depressing but hes quite right:pac: cant wait for a few years time to see the real potential of next gen consoles :pac:

Yep. But we all know that already right? I'l still have my ps3 connected for at least another year I'd say.

that article was like the grinch ruining christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Yep. But we all know that already right? I'l still have my ps3 connected for at least another year I'd say.

Same for myself. I have Batman and The Last of Us arriving over the next few days. Should keep me going for another while. At least until Infamous Second Son is released.

My bad. :-(

It was not my intention.

From now on its going to be happy articles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Gah, I'm tempted to start Adverts-ing my PS3 and 360 stashes as they'll be worth nothing in a year and I absolutely know I won't play them again, so I may as well fund the PS4 with them.

I appreciate I've missed the preorder boat by a good bit (and there's nothing I actually want to play, bar Resogun), but hot damn is my excitement for the PS4 starting to build :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Gah, I'm tempted to start Adverts-ing my PS3 and 360 stashes as they'll be worth nothing in a year and I absolutely know I won't play them again, so I may as well fund the PS4 with them.

I appreciate I've missed the preorder boat by a good bit (and there's nothing I actually want to play, bar Resogun), but hot damn is my excitement for the PS4 starting to build :(

If you've any limited edition games. send me a pm

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested in the killzone store time line

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=517012

padair wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in the killzone store time line

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=517012

For the written version with no art go to
    http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

That article was highly depressing. Let's not forget that it could apply to any new console though. I bet the writer wasn't behind the door when his boss was looking for volunteers for the PS4 hands on. There wasn't anything there none of us didn't already know.
    When a console is bought at launch it is a long term investment, what the PS4 does is improve on the PS3 with processing power,graphically etc. It will take a while for it to come into it's own. The current gen is 7 years old after all. Paper never refuses ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

shuffles03 wrote: »
    If you've any limited edition games. send me a pm

Nah, aside from Street Fighter 4 (which I won at a tournament) and Fallout 3 (the bobble-head Vault Boy lives on my fridge!) I don't do LEs, the extra money vs. what you actually get was never worth it to me, personally. Ta for offering though!

So any idea what length the charge cable is for the controller? I recall having to buy additional cables for the PS3 as the packed-in cable was just too short to reach my couch, and I'm almost certain that the connection on the controller is now micro USB, so those mini USB cables the Dual Shock 3 uses won't be of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I saw on NeoGAF that the DS4 has gone on sale in the US/Canada and people are using it with ps3/pc/mac. HMV and Gamestop here don't even have them in stock let alone are selling them....

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Finally have the Killzone Mega Bundle fully paid off and awaiting collection on Midnight 29th. Just gotta buy the games now!

BF4, Need for Speed and Knack (Along with Killzone and all the PS+/F2P) are what i'll be playing on launch.

Also, I am buying a bigger HDD to put into my PS4 within the first few weeks. I know all the specifications i need but for others..

I've been looking at this 1TB 5400RPM 2.5 SATA HDD but I'm unsure.

I don't think 5400 RPM v 7200RPM would be an issue as i hear the difference is minimal and the 7200 tend to generate more heat so i want a cooler 5200.

Also, i can't really seem to find a suitable HDD for the PS4 larger than 1TB.

1TB is the minimum is want to put into it, if i could get a 2TB or 4TB with the right specifications i would buy that!

Anyone have any thoughts or the same idea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

If you knew someone in the US you could buy this.But you'd have to find out the thickness of the drive inside. For just over €70 for a 2TB external drive it's a bargain, obviously shipping to here would be extra but it wouldn't cost that much.http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370925731688
    Klair88 wrote: »
    Finally have the Killzone Mega Bundle fully paid off and awaiting collection on Midnight 29th. Just gotta buy the games now!

BF4, Need for Speed and Knack (Along with Killzone and all the PS+/F2P) are what i'll be playing on launch.

Also, I am buying a bigger HDD to put into my PS4 within the first few weeks. I know all the specifications i need but for others..

I've been looking at this 1TB 5400RPM 2.5 SATA HDD but I'm unsure.

I don't think 5400 RPM v 7200RPM would be an issue as i hear the difference is minimal and the 7200 tend to generate more heat so i want a cooler 5200.

Also, i can't really seem to find a suitable HDD for the PS4 larger than 1TB.

1TB is the minimum is want to put into it, if i could get a 2TB or 4TB with the right specifications i would buy that!

Anyone have any thoughts or the same idea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

So no watchdog this year!

<snip>

Where have you been hiding that was announced about a week ago lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Im planning on getting a Seagate Momentus XT it's 750GB, 7200 drive with 32mb cache and 8GB of flash memory, unfortunately its difficult to get as its been discontinued. My other option is this WD 7200 black drive also 750GB Iv had a 320GB one of these in my ps3 and it was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If they confirm the specs the HDD will require and this fits the profile, I will be getting this, SEAGATE ST1000LM014 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive, 2.5 inch, 5400rpm, 64MB, 8GB Internal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement