Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So its on... PS4 vs Xbox one BF4. 900p vs 720p and PS4 has better AA. So it really means that Devs decided to use advantage of stronger console, not just retard ps4 version to xbox one level.

That is on launch titles. I bet the gap will become bigger later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So its on... PS4 vs Xbox one BF4. 900p vs 720p and PS4 has better AA. So it really means that Devs decided to use advantage of stronger console, not just retard ps4 version to xbox one level.

That is on launch titles. I bet the gap will become bigger later on?

Quite possible, CoD might show up a even stronger difference between both consoles, as it will be natively 1080p on the PS4 and will have 1 million more pixels on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I'd actually expect the gap to decrease over time as the devs figure out how to better utilize eSRAM. Seeing as that seems to be what is causing most the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I'd actually expect the gap to decrease over time as the devs figure out how to better utilize eSRAM. Seeing as that seems to be what is causing most the trouble.

it will decrease for sure in some ways but the ESRAM wont mean much if this is a 7/8 year cycle again with the ps4 just having more raw power at the end of the day

eSRAM optimisation will grow, but who said that PS4 architecture is not going to optimise even better? eSRAM in most cases is being looked as disadvantage already. Its like ps3 and 360 flipped this gen around.

• Advertisement

eSRAM optimisation will grow, but who said that PS4 architecture is not going to optimise even better? eSRAM in most cases is being looked as disadvantage already. Its like ps3 and 360 flipped this gen around.

eSRAM is a disadvantage right now but it will be optimised and close the gap. The ps4 will also get optimisations but they will be applicable to the Xbone too.

I see the gap being non-existant 3 years in with it extending again in the last 5-7

NTMK wrote: »
    eSRAM is a disadvantage right now but it will be optimised and close the gap. The ps4 will also get optimisations but they will be applicable to the Xbone too.

I see the gap being non-existant 3 years in with it extending again in the last 5-7

I see it the other way around.

Gap being bigger later on. eSram will get optimisation, but again, PS4 wount be sitting there and ****. It will get even more optimisation and it will get even easier to code for already easier system.
    I dont understand the logic behind gap being smaller later on, due to eSram being easier to work with. Having a stick in your arse will still be a stick in your arse even after few years when you learn to live with it. It is reported already that Esram is annoying system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I think it'll be more of a case of diminishing returns. There is only so easy a console can get to develop for especially if it's already significantly easier than the competitor.

I see it the other way around.

Gap being bigger later on. eSram will get optimisation, but again, PS4 wount be sitting there and ****. It will get even more optimisation and it will get even easier to code for already easier system.
    I dont understand the logic behind gap being smaller later on, due to eSram being easier to work with. Having a stick in your arse will still be a stick in your arse even after few years when you learn to live with it. It is reported already that Esram is annoying system.

I think were saying the same thing

The gap will be close for a year or two mid cycle cause they are very very similar once the eSRAM is removed from the equation. the esram will get alot of optimisations because its so rough.

Hardware (CPU/GPU) optimisations will benefit both systems since they're near identical

Games will get better optimisations too. to the point where they'll be running a one size fits all dev process again

at the end of the gen is when the ps4 will be the clear winner down to its shear raw power that no optimisation can overcome

Launch games are always badly optimized so its not a great judge

Mark Cerny reckons you will not see the true benefits of the PS4 till around 2016, also he mentioned that due to the PC like architecture of the PS4 it will be possible to upgrade software and drivers through patching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Speaking of patches, the PS4 1.5 update patch is available to download here apparently. So you can download it and pop it on a USB stick ready to install on your PS4.

Better news though, is there is a recovery file here too, meaning that if for some reason, the update borks, you can recover your system. No more bricking updates (hopefully).

Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Otacon wrote: »
    Speaking of patches, the PS4 1.5 update patch is available to download here apparently. So you can download it and pop it on a USB stick ready to install on your PS4.

Better news though, is there is a recovery file here too, meaning that if for some reason, the update borks, you can recover your system. No more bricking updates (hopefully).

Link.

is the update 300mb? it shouldnt take too long to download but with the the amount of people trying to update at the same time could cause problems so i think ill put it on USB too to be on the same side

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm toying with the idea of wrapping the PS4 up when I get it and leaving it til Christmas day. For the kid in me. But, the kid in me will probably open it before the day, so...

MarkY91 wrote: »
    is the update 300mb? it shouldnt take too long to download but with the the amount of people trying to update at the same time could cause problems so i think ill put it on USB too to be on the same side

You can download it in the background, you do not have to wait to download it before you can play any of the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

seriously whole update reactions (xbox one or PS4) are ridiculous. I love updates (windows, android, console) as it usually improves stuff.

and we have been waiting for PS4 for ages, if it downloads 5 minutes or 25, does it matter?

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of wrapping the PS4 up when I get it and leaving it til Christmas day. For the kid in me. But, the kid in me will probably open it before the day, so...

I think we all know that wount work out lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I would rather let my PS4 update on launch day on start up or download the update from an official SONY webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Excited-Baby-Opening-Present.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Physical, but you cant trade that in.

?

?

no barcode

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

NTMK wrote: »
    no barcode

The retailers will still have the SKUs for the standalone title on system and will manually look it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Same here,I have xmas exams the week after :-\.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Do you have to ring Gamestop to change credit card details lads? can't find an option on-site and emailed the pr1cks twice with no reply. Ordered my PS4 with my old CC details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

nocoverart wrote: »
    Do you have to ring Gamestop to change credit card details lads? can't find an option on-site and emailed the pr1cks twice with no reply. Ordered my PS4 with my old CC details.

Maybe go into store and get them to ring HQ. If the CC are wrong it will not ship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

so the bloody dual shock 4 doesnt come with a usb cable. im more angry about this than i should be

COYVB wrote: »
    so the bloody dual shock 4 doesnt come with a usb cable. im more angry about this than i should be

Does it take the same connection as the DS3, as I have about 10 in a drawer.

I think one comes with the PS4. They're about 2 quid on Ebay, anyway.

http://cdn1-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2013/06/ps4retailcontents.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Xenji wrote: »
    Does it take the same connection as the DS3, as I have about 10 in a drawer.

Nope, it's micro USB. Same one as Android devices. I currently have no spares so have to bring my phone charger from my bedroom down to the living room. Absolute nuisance

COYVB wrote: »
    Nope, it's micro USB. Same one as Android devices. I currently have no spares so have to bring my phone charger from my bedroom down to the living room. Absolute nuisance

Have about 10 of them as well, you can get one in any 2 euro store.

• Advertisement

It definitely doesn't come with the PS4?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement