Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

DK224 wrote: »
    http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/sony-releases-list-of-things-the-playstation-4-cant-do
    And no video streaming from media server or pc either so you'll pay for their Video Unlimited service too :(

I know it might be important for some people, but I could not care less. I never listened to music on ps3 and I got second pc hooked in the bedrooms tv.
    Ps3 would not even play files I had anyway due to copyright protection yoke. So feck that, I wount bother.

I wanted a gaming device which plays games, not a media centre. If I wanted a DVD player . Would buy Xbox one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭lertsnim

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/sony-releases-list-of-things-the-playstation-4-cant-do
    And no video streaming from media server or pc either so you'll pay for their Video Unlimited service too :(

Is the Video Unlimited service even available in Ireland? That kind of thing is very much down my list of concerns though as I would mostly use Netflix and have that on the Apple TV anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

First Xbox One and Sony PS4 reviews appear in GQ Magazine

Xbox One - 8/10
    PS4 - 7/10

http://n4g.com/news/1383769/first-xbox-one-and-sony-ps4-reviews-appear-in-gq-magazine

Why did I even bother reading a Lads Rag Mag Review

van_damm_cant_see_sht_gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The lack of DLNA support is getting close to a deal breaker for me. I certainly would stop me from getting rid of my PS3 anyway. I stream everything to my TV via my PS3. It allows my gf to watch stuff while I'm still in the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So PS4 versions of games like Flower, flOw, Escape Plan and Sound Shapes are free to those who purchased them on PS3? Not too bad.

Looks like PS+ will only have one game updated a month, which is to be expected I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

its shocking the stuff they dont allow you to do on PS4. i didnt plan on using most of the stuff bar the streaming..but an option would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

jaffusmax wrote: »

Xbox One - 8/10
    PS4 - 7/10

http://n4g.com/news/1383769/first-xbox-one-and-sony-ps4-reviews-appear-in-gq-magazine

funny stuff reading the comments :pac:
    dunno how they rated xbox one though and they even talked about the cloud, surely they didnt rate it an extra star over it? considering theirs **** all said about it yet anyway? apart from "innovation" hate that word...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Did anyone see the Edge article comparing Lynx Java to Nivea Sports?

Nah, me neither!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

jaffusmax wrote: »

Xbox One - 8/10
    PS4 - 7/10

they're certainly not reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MarkY91 wrote: »
    its shocking the stuff they dont allow you to do on PS4. i didnt plan on using most of the stuff bar the streaming..but an option would be handy.

You have plenty of apps like TVersity on the PS3 that do this, will be the same with the PS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jaysus, whats with these stupid review and previews of next gen consoles.... I am still yet to see at least one fair review.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Not too pushed about not being able to play MP3s but how will that effect the likes of personalising your crowd chants, menu music and goal music in FIFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So getting a new HDD might not be a bad idea, Killzone is a 45GB min install (disc version).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Varik wrote: »
    So getting a new HDD might not be a bad idea, Killzone is a 45GB min install (disc version).

I read it was a 40gb download for the digital version but nothing was said about how big the mandatory install is. Which would be the same for both I would imagine.

Its not really necessary, no games are a mandatory install, as you play the cache will delete and install data, you just need to always have a minimum of 50 gig hard drive space. Even if the game is 40 gigs it will never take up that much space if it is a physical disc.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10/30/ps4s-mandatory-installs-wont-eat-up-your-hard-drive-its-just-cache-space/

You do not need the PS4 camera to use voice commands, you can say them using the DS4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

45 GIGS WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I'm getting my PS4 in XtraVision but I don't know if they are doing a late night opening or do I have to wait until the morning? I was going to buy one game in XtraVision and then get the rest of Amazon because of the price difference but I haven't done anything about it yet. Still not sure about the camera, I bought a PS3 camera and only used it for one game - Heavy Rain - very expensive and little use.

I was analysing BF4 and PS4 videos and previews. In some respects I will just be happy if the game runs without lag and looks decent. The PS3 does have some limitations (lag, controller, graphics etc) and not having them any more might just make any game very good. But in saying that I keep coming back to what the PC is doing at 1080p 60fps and think there should be more under the hood for PS4.

I am glad the PS4 games load up fairly quickly and they got rid of all the splash screens showing stupid technologies they are using in the game. It looks more professional but things used to be like that in the first place.

45 GIGS WTF?

It has 45 gigs of data on the disk, but it does not install 45 gigs on the console, you can play as many games as you want as long as you have 50 gigs free space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Shuhei Yoshida posted this on Twitter not too long ago.
    Thanks for the feedback to the lack of MP3 and DLNA support at the launch of PS4. I'll share with the PS4 Dev team for future consideration.

Hopefully, they reconsider their stance and release a patch to sort this out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    It has 45 gigs of data on the disk, but it does not install 45 gigs on the console, you can play as many games as you want as long as you have 50 gigs free space.

Ah I see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

PS4 cannot play MP3's? wtf.

Can you play media through memory sticks?

Keno wrote: »
    PS4 cannot play MP3's? wtf.

They have to licence it so as barely anyone uses it why bother, also the reason that the PS4 won't do something as simple as play DVD/Blu ray without updating is likely down to licencing as well; they only need to pay for the licences of those that download and install the update rather than every console.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That's really disappointing. I use my 360 as my media player.

I am glad I have not pre ordered a console now.

It's can't play MP3's? How will that work with games with custom soundtracks, like Gran Turismo? Might sound mad, but I'd be hesitant about buying GT without custom soundtracks. Not the console, just disappointed about that, although, I don't play MP3s on it other than those times.

Also, I use a thumbstick to save data between mine and the missus' PS3,s whenever my Plus runs out. Are they for real taking that option away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

They have to licence it so as barely anyone uses it why bother, also the reason that the PS4 won't do something as simple as play DVD/Blu ray without updating is likely down to licencing as well; they only need to pay for the licences of those that download and install the update rather than every console.

Blu-Ray is part Sony's isn't it? Wouldn't imagine licensing is an issue there, more rushing out unfinished hardware

COYVB wrote: »
    Blu-Ray is part Sony's isn't it? Wouldn't imagine licensing is an issue there, more rushing out unfinished hardware

Yes but not everything is, they're would still be licencing needed for certain parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's can't play MP3's? How will that work with games with custom soundtracks, like Gran Turismo? Might sound mad, but I'd be hesitant about buying GT without custom soundtracks. Not the console, just disappointed about that, although, I don't play MP3s on it other than those times.

Same as me for FIFA. the soundtracks get very irritating after a few weeks, also would like custom chants and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

So if it doesn't support external hard-drives, does that mean I can't watch vids/listen to music from one? Not a thumb drive either? Or copy it onto the HDD? I'm hoping this "no ext hard drives" relates to saving game data, (like on the 360 if you didn't have space, you could install GTA onto a flashy and play it)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement