Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I'm happy enough with the 8gb and 2.2gb of ram for memory and video

That won't make it to retail, it'll likely be shared memory and the rumours say 4GB but it'll not be over 8GB in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Varik wrote: »
    That won't make it to retail, it'll likely be shared memory and the rumours say 4GB but it'll not be over 8GB in any case.

If Xbox goes 8gb I would expect the PS would have to follow, even if there is separate graphics memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I think the specs, if they are real, look pretty good. It's basically a HTPC - a mid range one. Those AMD APU are pretty darn good and quite beefy for the TDP. 8GB of RAM is about what you'd expect also.

I'd say the basic model no frills will be 350 and premium kits 500 or even 550. The big thing for Sony in terms of cost would be a die shrink.

I think it's kinda of a let down.

Amd 8 core 1.6ghz cpu.
    4gb ram
    Ati 7850.
    Blu Ray
    250gb hdd.

A normal guy like me can build a machine like that for 500.

They must be making big margins on a mediocre system like that?

With them buying the design and getting materials in obscene bulks, I was expecting mid to high range pc power for 400 - 500 euro console.

I was thinking

FX 8 3.4ghz, 8gb ram ( mix of ddr3/gddr5 ), 8950 ( future generation, not available to public, something like GTX 670 performance with tdp).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Everyone seems to mention how you could build a pc for that etc which i think is a bit pointless really.

I'd be far more interested in finding out how much more powerful would these specs be in comparison to a PS3? Does anyone know?

Surely that'd be far more important a comparison as you are comparing consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

PlayStation 4:
    System Memory: 4GB
    Video Memory: 1GB
    CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer"
    GPU: AMD R10xx
    Ports: USB 3.0
    Drive: Blu-Ray x6

PlayStation 3:
    System Memory: 256MB
    Video Memory: 256MB
    CPU: Cell [1 3.2GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and 8 Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs)]
    GPU: NVIDIA RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'
    Ports: USB 2.0
    Drive: Blu-Ray x2

*I think those specs are correct for the PS3 and likely for the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

tok9 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to mention how you could build a pc for that etc which i think is a bit pointless really.

I'd be far more interested in finding out how much more powerful would these specs be in comparison to a PS3? Does anyone know?

Surely that'd be far more important a comparison as you are comparing consoles.

+1 ...tis unfair to compare the modern PCs....but its gonna happen!, fans and reviewers will do it sadly. The thing is....Sony *needs* this system to last five years, so there needs to be some built in future proofing!

The PS3 has held up very well over the years, and graphically the games have got better. Lets hope the PS4 does the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

Isnt that always the way with a console though? Dev's get use to harnessing the power of the console so graphics usually get better as the system ages? I hope the ps4 has a quicker BR drive because as people have mentioned the 2x speed of the ps3 is very slow...all in all i'm still be getting the PS4 unless they really drop the ball.

I wonder will our PSN accounts be transferable over? i'm assuming they will with people having built up so many trophies on the PS3 (i didnt build up to level 10 for nothing haha)

jones wrote: »
    Isnt that always the way with a console though? Dev's get use to harnessing the power of the console so graphics usually get better as the system ages? I hope the ps4 has a quicker BR drive because as people have mentioned the 2x speed of the ps3 is very slow...all in all i'm still be getting the PS4 unless they really drop the ball.

I wonder will our PSN accounts be transferable over? i'm assuming they will with people having built up so many trophies on the PS3 (i didnt build up to level 10 for nothing haha)

Yeah I hope they do put in a faster blu ray drive with higher capacity indeed!

They have to speed up what they currently offer at the moment (one example the browser) in their next gen. For example I would like to purchase a wireless keyboard for the ps3 and make use of it like my laptop but its just too awkward and slow.

The ps3 does have a lot of the functionality that I could wish for but there are several things missing and what it does do is too slow.

New phones have more RAM than the PS3, the next gen can wait a bit but it has to offer something new.

As far as the trophies go the current answer is no transfer. Maybe that will change if some pressure is put on Sony ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Yeah I hope they do put in a faster blu ray drive with higher capacity indeed!

They have to speed up what they currently offer at the moment (one example the browser) in their next gen. For example I would like to purchase a wireless keyboard for the ps3 and make use of it like my laptop but its just too awkward and slow.

The ps3 does have a lot of the functionality that I could wish for but there are several things missing and what it does do is too slow.

New phones have more RAM than the PS3, the next gen can wait a bit but it has to offer something new.

As far as the trophies go the current answer is no transfer. Maybe that will change if some pressure is put on Sony ?

no tophy transfer? what about PSN usrnames? and friends list?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    no tophy transfer? what about PSN usrnames? and friends list?

I read that it was not the case at this stage but then again nothing concrete has come out from Sony regarding the PS4. They poured cold water on backward compatibility.

The console is not like a PC where the entire system is compatible with just about anything. Maybe they will change that next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

non-compatibility with PS3 games I could live with, but if the PSN accounts weren't transferable, that would be a deal breaker for me

RedXIV wrote: »
    non-compatibility with PS3 games I could live with, but if the PSN accounts weren't transferable, that would be a deal breaker for me

PSP, PS3, and Vita all have the same account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd be shocked if the account didn't transfer for 2 main reasons but There is plenty of reasons.

1. PS +. This is what will get the ps4 more users. If they were to get rid of all that content for the ps4 it's be a big fcuk off to the customers.

2. PS vita - the console is less than a year old and still using the same store as the ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id say itll absolutely use the same account. The entire Sony Entertainment Network uses the same account

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

That's a definite PS4 Confirmation date i think. Still wont be available to buy til late 2014, christmas time i reckon, a good 2 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

(inserting Batman orchestral music now)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wouldn't surprise me if it hit Japan late this year or early next year considering how quiet their 1st party teams are after April

Is it just me or does that sound like a rendition of the PS1 start up music at 11 seconds into the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

More games being added to PS+, increasing to 20? Too greedy? :P

I'd say PS4 announcement is likely since that's near the date mentioned by the OP.

Never understood the wait and see statement considering it's not like Microsoft were gonna suddenly change everything in their system after Sony announced the PS4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Klair88 wrote: »
    That's a definite PS4 Confirmation date i think. Still wont be available to buy til late 2014, christmas time i reckon, a good 2 years away.

Feb-March 2014

If it's announced in February and then we'll get the full marketing campagne kicking off over the summer with E3 and the like and then a winter release.

10 months between announcement and release is not that far fetched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Meant 2014 on that earlier post. Sorry. Stupid calendar changes every year, you'd think they'd fix that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

They made a post about it on their fb page not so long ago . I'd say it Won't be untill next year that it will be released .

I just told my Xbox to go f**k itself out loud in front of my girlfriend in a constipated yet excited manner. I then blacked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

look at gta v its been pulled back there gearing up for the launch along with bf4 which again is being beta tested on the 3 and then on to the 4 makes no sense for any company to release a game on a redundant system..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You really think the PS3 will be considered redundant by the end of this year?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    You really think the PS3 will be considered redundant by the end of this year?

yes i do.

It makes no sense to release a game on just a new console, they have limited potential sales.

There might be some extra sales for poor games on a new console as people will want to buy a game for their new console that they would not have otherwise have gotten just to have something to play

But in the case of GTA and bf then there's no way it won't be on current gen consoles.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    It makes no sense to release a game on just a new console, they have limited potential sales.

There might be some extra sales for poor games on a new console as people will want to buy a game for their new console that they would not have otherwise have gotten just to have something to play

But in the case of GTA and bf then there's no way it won't be on current gen consoles.
    Im sorry but how many people qued up for a ps3 on day one release?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement