Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I believe it's a word if you can get the meaning from it. :)

A perfectly cromulant explanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to a good video comparison between PS4/One gameplay? I've read all the reviews, watched a few videos but don't really see it myself.

I'm putting this down to either watching crappy videos or watching them on my phone.

I know the differences are there but haven't found a high quality video.

Digital Foundry has some good footage.

They've it set up so you can download the vids and play them back side by side on your own TV for a pretty good approximation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Does anyone have a link to a good video comparison between PS4/One gameplay? I've read all the reviews, watched a few videos but don't really see it myself.

I'm putting this down to either watching crappy videos or watching them on my phone.

I know the differences are there but haven't found a high quality video.

i watched coparison videos of battlefield 4. i honestly thought the xbox 1 footage was better slightly. the lighting was noticebly better anyways.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i watched coparison videos of battlefield 4. i honestly thought the xbox 1 footage was better slightly. the lighting was noticebly better anyways.

Isn't there an issue with the X1's version gamma offset that makes it appear to "pop" a bit? Probably why the lighting is more vibrant.

End of the the day though, it's what you think looks best when it's running on your TV as it's all subjective. So even if one of them is technically superior, it's what you prefer that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Digital Foundry has some good footage.

They've it set up so you can download the vids and play them back side by side on your own TV for a pretty good approximation.

The made a balls of all that footage, I would not go by it, they admitted themselves they used the wrong settings when they recorded it.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    The made a balls of all that footage, I would not go by it, they admitted themselves they used the wrong settings when they recorded it.

I only spotted their disclaimer there that it came from the same review event as their Face-Off footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I thought the official DF comment stated that the claim of the settings been wrong was incorrect, and that they stand by their comparisons.

Sony Santa Monica tweeted some interesting images last night, it looks like Journey and Unfinished Swan will be coming to the PS4, they will probably be announced on the 14th along with a host of other new titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Isn't there an issue with the X1's version gamma offset that makes it appear to "pop" a bit? Probably why the lighting is more vibrant.

End of the the day though, it's what you think looks best when it's running on your TV as it's all subjective. So even if one of them is technically superior, it's what you prefer that matters.

im not sure. i havent read into battlefield much. just watched the odd video. you could be right though

Benzino wrote: »
    I thought the official DF comment stated that the claim of the settings been wrong was incorrect, and that they stand by their comparisons.

If you watch Jackfrags videos that were taking using Dices own recording equipment you will see a big difference, they obviously messed up pretty bad and are trying to cover their tracks.

bf431qky.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

:D

Angry Birds Star Wars
    The game is due for release on Sony's next generation console and Microsoft's Xbox One next month, but fans looking for their fix of space based feathered friend flinging will need deep pockets. Publisher Rovio Enterntainent has announced that the game will cost an eye-watering $49.99 - about £31 - when it's released in the United States.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/angry-birds-star-wars-fans-2667400

It better be better than GTA 5 with this price.

"Inside PlayStation 4: Building the Best Place to Play" will take place on Nov 13th at AMD APU13, it should give us a better idea of how powerful the PS4 actually is and give us some new specs, it will also give us evidence in regards how much more powerful the PS4 is compared to the X1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So 40 euro for angry birds? They must literally be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

So Jackfrags is the best place for comparisons?

So Jackfrags is the best place for comparisons?

For Battlefield 4 yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Had a look on oxendales this morning and they are charging 727 for for a PS4 extra controller and a game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Had a look on oxendales this morning and they are charging 727 for for a PS4 extra controller and a game

Oxendales? Never heard of them. Where are they located.

padair wrote: »
    Oxendales? Never heard of them. Where are they located.

http://www.oxendales.ie

It is like Littlewoods

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

There charging 90 euro for a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

There charging 90 euro for a game.

Yeah, did you not hear?

He said it was like littlewoods :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Yeah, did you not hear?

He said it was like littlewoods :p

Ya there very expensive too.

http://www.oxendales.ie

It is like Littlewoods

:eek:

Their prices are insane!

From a product description of a PS3 "deal"...
    Playstation 3 500GB Console + Unchartered 2 Essentials + Killzone.

Note they don't state which Killzone you're getting (it's KZ3), and they're not capable of spelling Uncharted.

You get these with a bog standard 500Gb Super Slim for €417.50! That would have been a good deal about 5 years ago!

:eek:

Their prices are insane!

From a product description of a PS3 "deal"...

Note they don't state which Killzone you're getting (it's KZ3), and they're not capable of spelling Uncharted.

You get these with a bog standard 500Gb Super Slim for €417.50! That would have been a good deal about 5 years ago!
    I seen that and I just started laughing who in their right minds are going to buy that for 420 when a new PS4 is only 400

Surprised by Eurogamer being so open about what they have seen and being somewhat impartial.
    While Digital Foundry has yet to see either next-gen version of Call of Duty, our experience with Battlefield 4 demonstrates that you can easily see the visual difference between them. The Xbox One version holds up well given the gulf in resolution, but it doesn't require a pixel counter to tell that the PS4 game is crisper and cleaner either. At last week's Battlefield 4 review event in Stockholm, we noted that the resolution change from one version to the next was obvious to many of the press in attendance, with some even suggesting on-site that the PS4 version was operating at native 1080p when its actual resolution was 1600x900.

The reality for Microsoft is that the raw spec differential it has battled against is not only borne out in what is arguably the most technologically advanced multi-platform game of the next-gen launch, but the gulf actually increases on a title that, on the face of it, isn't pushing boundaries to anything like the same degree.

However, the hardware make-up itself could be more troublesome for multi-platform developers in the longer term, despite Microsoft's outline of how the Xbox One tech operates and the theoretical advantages it chose to highlight. In our In Theory piece, we could only address the teraflop difference - we couldn't measure the impact of Xbox One's reduction in memory bandwidth, and we certainly couldn't factor in what was then the big unknown: the controversial 32MB of Embedded Static RAM (ESRAM) built into the Xbox One's central processor.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resolutiongate-the-fallout

In the end I reckon one of two things will happen, but not sure which one yet, but edging towards the second option.

1) That the devkits were given later to Xbox One and supposedly have been buggy as hell and that the gap will achieve parity soon enough as developers get used to Xbox One.

2) That the gap will continue to widen given that these launch games aren't exercising the potential of next gen hardware, and that if this is the state it is in now, it will only get worse given that developers will get more out of the PS4's potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There was a rumor of late that the graphics drivers for the X1 dev kits were a bit of a mess compared to the drivers for the PS4 kits. Some are claiming that when MS get their act together and release better drivers the graphics performance of the X1 will get better. Same can also be said for the PS4 though. It's just like downloading new graphics drivers for your PC to get better performance on new release games if they are not optimised for either nVidia or AMD.

Video showing all the devices we know so far the DS4 works with.

Been reading a lot of rumours tonight about Epic games jumping ship to the PS4 and making a new Gears of War game which will be announced at the PS4 All Access reveal on the 14th and possibly a new Unreal Tournament exclusive for the console, we will also be seeing a lot more game announcements

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Been reading a lot of rumours tonight about Epic games jumping ship to the PS4 and making a new Gears of War

Heh, if it's good, i'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Been reading a lot of rumours tonight about Epic games jumping ship to the PS4 and making a new Gears of War game which will be announced at the PS4 All Access reveal on the 14th and possibly a new Unreal Tournament exclusive for the console, we will also be seeing a lot more game announcements

Have any links?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement