Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

198321 wrote: »
    it's (Knack) worth €15 or less ..

I don't understand game pricing. Knack being as expensive as new Call of Duty or Battlefield? I'm sure Call of duty development costs few times as much as Knack .. It's cool game for kids, but why is it as expensive (or more expensive than GTA5)?

Also how long is gameplay ? Few hours (and no multiplayer) / vs 100s hours playing COD/BF4/GTA5?

It's just called choice and buyer demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I don't understand game pricing. Knack being as expensive as new Call of Duty or Battlefield? I'm sure Call of duty development costs few times as much as Knack .. It's cool game for kids, but why is it as expensive (or more expensive than GTA5)?

Also how long is gameplay ? Few hours (and no multiplayer) / vs 100s hours playing COD/BF4/GTA5?

So by that logic Crash Bandicoot, Mario, Sonic, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter should never have been full priced titles even though theyre multiple times more enjoyable then a 7 hour single player & a MP playing the same few maps over and over and over and over and over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

COD has been the same game for about 5 years now, I think they've the cheapest development cost of the bunch tbh considering they just copy and paste it all from one game to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭3206jake

Is the DS4 out in America yet ??
    Have an uncle going over next week but he's just home before the 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

3206jake wrote: »
    Is the DS4 out in America yet ??
    Have an uncle going over next week but he's just home before the 15th

Yeah they have them in EB Games and Gamestop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Xenji wrote: »

And they have LOTS of them at least in the 3 gamestop stores I was in over the last 4/5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads you know the €15 upgrade offer from GameStop for say PS3 Ghosts upgrade of disc to PS4 is this right friend of mine thinks he saw on ps blog that it should only cost €10 but I think that is only for the download version am I correct? Also any other stores doing the trade in upgrade offer on the physical disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Lads you know the €15 upgrade offer from GameStop for say PS3 Ghosts upgrade of disc to PS4 is this right friend of mine thinks he saw on ps blog that it should only cost €10 but I think that is only for the download version am I correct? Also any other stores doing the trade in upgrade offer on the physical disc?

They're two different things.

Gamestop is a trade in offer, you give them BF4 on PS3 plus €15 and they give you BF4 on PS4.

The PSN setup works for both digitally downloaded PS3 copies and retail, for the disc version you get to download BF4 for PS4 but you need to keep the PS3 disc in the PS4 to make sure you still own it and for the PSN digital copy when you pay the €10 it just gives you a full digital copy of PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Only place advertising it is gamestop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I couldn't disagree more with the attitude that smaller, more experimental games are inherently worth less than the big, bloated AAA ones. If anything, I'm much more inclined to send my money in the direction of new ideas and independent or smaller developers with ambition than I am at the developers of the latest big budget franchise game. Many members of the gaming community have an incredibly distorted perception of what constitutes value for money - and sure, it would be a bit of a bummer to spend €60 on a three hour game (for such rare circumstances, waiting for the inevitable discount is a perfectly valid response) but that something like, say, Shadow of the Colossus or Ico are 'worth less' than Skyrim or CoD or GTA because they're shorter and less expensive to produce is IMO an extremely damaging perspective on a cultural work. You don't expect to pay more for a mass produced Big Mac than you do for a meal in a small restaurant across the road (not to **** on the quality of some of the AAA titles, of course: GTAV has proven a fantastic experience).

Who knows how Knack will turn out, but I'm much more interested in that than I am any of the big name sequels released alongside it. If a next generation machine is just about higher ressed versions of the same old franchises, that IMO sets the wrong perspective of the type of thing we should be demanding from the PS4 and other next gen consoles. It's not about more of the same, it's about ambition, experimentation, and most of all something new - and it's the reason why Sony's commitment to independent developers is easily, for me, the biggest selling point of the PS4.

• Advertisement

Do you know how much in dollars ?

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    And they have LOTS of them at least in the 3 gamestop stores I was in over the last 4/5 days.

How much are they in dollars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

Varik wrote: »
    They're two different things.

Gamestop is a trade in offer, you give them BF4 on PS3 plus €15 and they give you BF4 on PS4.

The PSN setup works for both digitally downloaded PS3 copies and retail, for the disc version you get to download BF4 for PS4 but you need to keep the PS3 disc in the PS4 to make sure you still own it and for the PSN digital copy when you pay the €10 it just gives you a full digital copy of PS4.

So if you upgrade to the PS4 version can you still play it on ps3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

How much are they in dollars ?

$59.99 +Tax (state dependent)

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    $59.99 +Tax (state dependent)

Cheers,want a blue one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I couldn't disagree more with the attitude that smaller, more experimental games are inherently worth less than the big, bloated AAA ones...

If MacDonald invested 200 000 000 dollars in development of a burger, and small restaurant 100 000 I would expect to pay more for MacDonald burger ...

For me its about value. For GTA 5 I would be happy to pay 70 euro, no questions asked .. but for smaller games I don't understand why anybody would pay so much ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

jaybe1 wrote: »
    Yea you can pretty sweet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If MacDonald invested 200 000 000 dollars in development of a burger, and small restaurant 100 000 I would expect to pay more for MacDonald burger ...

For me its about value. For GTA 5 I would be happy to pay 70 euro, no questions asked .. but for smaller games I don't understand why anybody would pay so much ..

Smaller games are made by smaller teams, but They will also sell far, far fewer copies. Economies of scale and all that. Call of Duty will sell millions of copies, no doubt, but Knack has to recoup its not insignificant expenses too and won't make any where near the same money as the bigger name games will. Similarly, Blockbuster films might be more expensive, but they're almost always less interesting than the smaller ones. And yet, even at the same price per ticket, they latter will struggle to recoup their budget while the former will break records. Cost and end worth are not the same thing. smaller developers have so much more riding on each and every release, and yet so many people perceive their products as less worthy. Surely you can see the problem with that?

You might just have a very different perception of value than I do. "Hours per euro" is a limited criteria for judging anything that isn't a washing machine or a light bulb. If I paid fifteen euro for Skyrim and fifteen for Journey, I'd feel I got more value for money out of the latter because the experience might be significantly shorter but so much more interesting, fresh, affecting and imaginative.

We really need to get out of the mindset that more = better. It's the mindset that conjured up dated concepts like collectibles, grinding and the other time wasting, empty content that bogs down so very many games these days. Quality over quantity is always preferable (unless the piss is well and truly being ripped), and to suggest Knack deserves to be tossed off as a low price download just because it isn't GTAV is a dangerous precedent for games going forward.

And with the Internet, I'd suggest paying 70 euro for a game when there's so many cheaper options is just bad consumer practice anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Smaller games are made by smaller teams, but They will also sell far, far fewer copies. ...

I do agree with you, and if Knack gets amazing reviews and is as good as AAA games I would be happy to pay 60euro.

The point is I doubt Knack would get amazing reviews, it seems it is cool game, fun to play for a while, but nothing breathtaking. Perfect game to buy on ebay month/two after release. I am just saying 60euro is too much (for me) :cool:

That's perfectly fair, if Knack does just down out to be a bit of fun and little more than I'll also be reluctant to spend too dollar on it! But just generally speaking I don't think the smaller game should be perceived as less worthy than the big, long AAA game - if anything, the complete opposite! :)

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    Yea you can pretty sweet.

Bugger i preordered it on PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Cheers,want a blue one

They don't have the red/blue dualshock4's in the states yet, it will be sometime in 2014.

Shame it is only the PS3 that is getting this, would love one for the PS4

Crystal_dualshock_3-1152x806.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

If you bought your game in Gamestop you can upgrade for 15 euro to PS4.

If you haven't Amazon have a similar offer but only for 4 titles, I'm using it for Fifa, it basically works like this: Trade in Fifa 13 as part of Upgrade offer, they then apply two vouchers to your account for the upgrade, so you then buy fifa 14 on PS4, and you end up paying £10/€12 for the upgrade.

Trade up game offer.

Yes but you have to download BF4 so it takes up space and you have to put the BF4 ps3 disc in, meaning that for this route you have all the negative from both digital and disc based gaming.

If you buy digitally off PSN then that means you can have the PS3 verison on 2 PS3s and the PS4 version on 1 home console and 1 were you're signed in.

Varik wrote: »
    Yes but you have to download BF4 so it takes up space and you have to put the BF4 ps3 disc in, meaning that for this route you have all the negative from both digital and disc based gaming.

I don't mind downloading it and I obviously can only play it on one console at a time. I'm the only one getting a Ps4 out of all my mates so be nice to be able to play online with them. But I presume all the trophies are combined so it updates on both consoles through the Psn account or battlelog. So your saying it's better to download through psn on the ps3 and then upgrade on the ps4. I don't think it would fit on my ps3 anyway I only have an 80gb and got it hard to get a 37gb game on it last week.

I don't mind downloading it and I obviously can only play it on one console at a time. I'm the only one getting a Ps4 out of all my mates so be nice to be able to play online with them. But I presume all the trophies are combined so it updates on both consoles through the Psn account or battlelog.

You can transfer you unlocks and level over from PS3 to PS4 but I think it's once way to the PS4 and only done once.

The trophies and save will be separate, so 2 platinums if you're bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Shame it is only the PS3 that is getting this, would love one for the PS4

I actually would be the one who hates this style for electronics. this transparent style makes all things luck fugly for me. Its the matter of taste I guess. :)

I actually would be the one who hates this style for electronics. this transparent style makes all things luck fugly for me. Its the matter of taste I guess. :)

I have an odd taste, had one for the PS1&2, not sure what it is about them, only like it with controller's, have that one ordered as well for the PS3 :D

• Advertisement

The original six axis was translucent which I like but fully transparent plastics aren't great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement