Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm planning on upgrading the hard drive to at least 1TB too.

Whatever about the caching, PS Plus has thought me you can never have enough space! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Otacon wrote: »
    Just give me one of them!

I do like how small the boxes are too.

I saw somewhere is about half the size of he original ps3 box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

After watching the recent tear-down video, it seemed that you had to peel off the tamper stickers in order to open the console to change the harddrive...is that so, or is there an access panel from the outside for changing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

The PS4 really does look quite slim... well compared to the XboxONE anyway

Xbox-One-waiting-to-be-fed-more-noobs.png

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Myrddin wrote: »
    After watching the recent tear-down video, it seemed that you had to peel off the tamper stickers in order to open the console to change the harddrive...is that so, or is there an access panel from the outside for changing it?

I thought all you had to do was slide off the top and then unscrew the 1 screw.

It won't void your warranty anyway.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    I thought all you had to do was slide off the top and then unscrew the 1 screw.

It won't void your warranty anyway.

Maybe its just the way the guy went about stripping down the console so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I'm just after buying one of these for the ps4

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/85978/Samsung+SSD+840+EVO+Basic+1TB+SATA+6Gb+s.article

I didn't really but one can dream

That costs more than the console :eek:.

Will probably upgrade myself next year, but will probably go with a more cost effective hybrid drive, and whatever the largest storage is at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I'm just after buying one of these for the ps4

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/85978/Samsung+SSD+840+EVO+Basic+1TB+SATA+6Gb+s.article

I didn't really but one can dream

You can get a 1TB on amazon for like 80 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

You can get a 1TB on amazon for like 80 quid

Its an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Otacon wrote: »
    It uses caching so instead of a mandatory install that stays on your HDD, it installs almost the entire disk, which then gets deleted when you take it out of the drive. That way you get the benefits of installed software without using up too much space.

Ok I kinda get it now thanks. Is this a mandatory thing for all games? Do I have to delete that data myself? I'm considering getting a WD Scorpio blue 1tb and upgrading straight off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Warframe PS4: free pre-order exclusives revealed
    Warframe PS4 developer Digital Extremes has released details of the game’s pre-order goodies. It’s a free-to-play title sure, but you can still get some extras at no extra cost if you order it ahead of the console’s launch

The incentive was detailed over on PS Blog US. You can pre-order the Warframe: Ultimate Fan Pack absolutely free of charge over on the Sony Entertainment store or via PSN before November 12.

It includes a PlayStation Braton Rifle weapon skin, 50 Platinum currency, and 20,000 Credits for spending on new gear for your Tenno warrior.

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Ok I kinda get it now thanks. Is this a mandatory thing for all games? Do I have to delete that data myself? I'm considering getting a WD Scorpio blue 1tb and upgrading straight off.

It will happen with all games, it installs and deletes data as you play the game, it will do it automatically for you, you can play as many games as you want this way as long as you have 50 gigs of free space on your hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

The PS4 will have a small install but the rest is cached on the HDD. The cache will delete itself but there will still be an install on the HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Ok so if for example I think killzone has a 25-30gig install it's really not that big? It's condensed down to a lot less than that?
    Sorry for all the questions I'm not good with the technical stuff. I'm trying to make out if I'll have to upgrade hard drive straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Ok so if for example I think killzone has a 25-30gig install it's really not that big? It's condensed down to a lot less than that?
    Sorry for all the questions I'm not good with the technical stuff. I'm trying to make out if I'll have to upgrade hard drive straight away.

I think its 40+ gig. So PS4 HDD needs 50GB to install, you stick in the disc and it starts to install straight away while you're playing.

If you only play 2 hours and it installs 25Gb of Game data, then you take out the KZ disc and stick in ACIV, That 25gb of installed Killzone is gone from the HDD.

It only needs to install the full amount while you're playing it. If you stop playing the game the Space on the HDD becomes free again.

Only works for Disc, obviously you need to install the full amount if you buy digitally.

Essentially the PS4 allocates a portion of the hard drive to cache game data for the game you are currently playing. It uses this data like it would any other install (permanent of not).

The difference is, once you are done with the game or want to play a different game, this data is flushed and the same partition on the hard drive is used for the data cache of the next game. Thus negating the need to do a 40-50Gb permanent install for each game.

Killzone according to Guerilla games takes just over 2 minutes from when you put in the game to when you are playing the first level.

That all sounds very laser intensive, here's hoping the laser diodes are up to the task

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I am going all-digital this gen.

Received this yesterday. Now all I need is a PS4 to put it in.

51JLMl91QdL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would not go Crazy with ssds lads. there is no prove it will be actually faster. As we know in ps3 case you are better off getting same speed Hdd when you upgrading it, due to some issues.

I am sticking with 500gb for now myself. No point upgrading now. I am not oging to go fully digital, so 500gb still should be okay.

I would not go Crazy with ssds lads. there is no prove it will be actually faster. As we know in ps3 case you are better off getting same speed Hdd when you upgrading it, due to some issues.

I am sticking with 500gb for now myself. No point upgrading now. I am not oging to go fully digital, so 500gb still should be okay.

It was shown on the PS3 that SSD's did make a difference

• Advertisement

Right this video is all kinds of crazy and if you go to the url you see in it http://www.hadoukencabs.com/, it is even crazier, wonder what they are at

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/08/ps4-gets-bizarre-hadouken-cabs-viral-teaser-watch-it-here/

Xenji wrote: »
    Right this video is all kinds of crazy and if you go to the url you see in it http://www.hadoukencabs.com/, it is even crazier, wonder what they are at

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/08/ps4-gets-bizarre-hadouken-cabs-viral-teaser-watch-it-here/

Street Fighter. Maybe PS4 exclusive too as it uses the 4ThePlayers Hashtag.

Well we all know how mad for handheld games the Japanese are, but in a really striking statistic only one PS3 game has been included in the Japanese 100 top-selling games between January 1, 2001 to September 29th, 2013.

Full List here http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/08/famitsu-reveals-japans-100-best-selling-games-of-the-century/

Sums it up very well

ra6j.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Klair88 wrote: »
    I think its 40+ gig. So PS4 HDD needs 50GB to install, you stick in the disc and it starts to install straight away while you're playing.

If you only play 2 hours and it installs 25Gb of Game data, then you take out the KZ disc and stick in ACIV, That 25gb of installed Killzone is gone from the HDD.

It only needs to install the full amount while you're playing it. If you stop playing the game the Space on the HDD becomes free again.

Only works for Disc, obviously you need to install the full amount if you buy digitally.

So if you want to play Killzone again afterwards, it has to do the install again?

stevenmu wrote: »
    So if you want to play Killzone again afterwards, it has to do the install again?

Yeah but it is all done in the background so you will be playing it in about 2 minutes.

Yeah it sounds that way, but I gather it's an install 'on-the-fly' while you're actually playing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I doubt it, it likely will only delete the cached data as a new game is being installed. So it'll be faster the second time unless you've play another game in the meantime.

Yep! But you never see it or have to wait for it. The PS4 reads and plays from the Disc while simultaneously installing in the Background. You'll essentially never notice it doing it.

This is my understanding of Caching, might handle a little different on the actual system.

When the US get it in 7 days we'll know everything.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    I doubt it, it likely will only delete the cached data as a new game is being installed. So it'll be faster the second time unless you've play another game in the meantime.

So it leaves a partial installation, & deletes the cached content upon disc removal. The 2nd time you play it won't have to do a full install again, but only transfer over data to be cached?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement