Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Great video of lead system architect Mark Cerny and Sony Computer Entertainment execs Andrew House and Shuhei Yoshida explaining how—with footage (including an exclusive) from the new games designed to take advantage of the new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Myrddin wrote: »
    So it leaves a partial installation, & deletes the cached content upon disc removal. The 2nd time you play it won't have to do a full install again, but only transfer over data to be cached?

I'm making a guess as to what makes sense not what they've confirmed or anything, but I'd say it only deletes the cached content when it needs the space for a new game.

On any HDD deleting something does not get rid of it, it only allows new data to be written to that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Xenji wrote: »
    Sums it up very well

ra6j.png

Aw way to make me feel special and all warm and fuzzy inside.
    Way to go global electronics corporation marketing dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Does anyone know if the Vita will need extra memory free on the memory card to stream games from the PS4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Vita will need extra memory free on the memory card to stream games from the PS4?

Unlikely, they're streamed to the unit rather than stored/processed on it. The PS4 is doing all the work. I actually used a modded PS3 a few years ago to force enable remote play on all games, & it worked remarkably well on a the PSP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That all sounds very laser intensive, here's hoping the laser diodes are up to the task

I wouldn't be as concerned for the laser diodes as I would be for the HDD. That's an awful lot of massive file swapping. From the initial load to the constant data being streamed from the disk to the HDD to RAM as the game progresses, followed then by a large file purge once the player stops the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Just got my first PS4 game delivered from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

v3ttel wrote: »

Photos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

v3ttel wrote: »

PIC's or GTFO

Stick it into the PS3 and see what it says.

• Advertisement

Would be great if we got a €10 equivalent
    PS4 boxes in US and Canada will contain $10 PS Store voucher

Sony has announced that when new PS4 owners in the US and Canada open the box containing their shiny new console, they will find three vouchers: a $10 Sony Entertainment Network wallet credit for the PS Store; a 30-day free PlayStation Plus membership trial; and a 30-day free Music Unlimited service trial. The $10 credit can be used towards anything in the store including new PS4 launch titles, and the 30-day trails for Plus and Music Unlimited were previously announced.

They actually get a lot more than just that
    A Threefold Surprise for PS4 Owners

After months of anticipation, we’re just a week away from the launch of PlayStation 4 in the United States and Canada. Starting at midnight on November 15th, you’ll be able to see for yourself what the future of gaming and entertainment looks like.

The network now expands across a wide array of digital entertainment including incredible multi-player gameplay, availability of full games day and date, streaming movies and TV shows, and a premium cloud-based music service. We are excited to provide those of you in the US and Canada with a special promotional voucher in every PS4 box* that includes:
    $10 Sony Entertainment Network wallet credit for PlayStation Store
    30-day free PlayStation Plus membership trial
    30-day free Music Unlimited service trial**
    Out of the box, you can immediately experience everything PlayStation Plus for PS4 has to offer and have access to millions and millions of songs through Music Unlimited. The $10 credit can be used towards anything in the store including new PS4 launch titles, such as Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghosts, and Killzone Shadow Fall.

Look for the voucher when you open your PS4 box and let us know what you’re excited about playing, listening, or watching by using #PS4 on Twitter.

* Available for a limited time only
    ** Only for new subscribers to the Premium Plan

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

Xenji wrote: »
    Stick it into the PS3 and see what it says.

It dosent say anything. Im a bit disappointed by that.

Was hoping for a pic or a video.

But instead "Computer says No"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like one of my buddies is finally leaning towards PS4 and away from Xbox one! He just got really disappointed with BF4 performance on Xbox one. AWESOME!

hopefully he will trade in his devilish 360 soon enough! :pac:

BYj1kwWCUAEZwKk.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Looks like one of my buddies is finally leaning towards PS4 and away from Xbox one! He just got really disappointed with BF4 performance on Xbox one. AWESOME!

Just should've told him you get more for less money with the PS4. Nearly all the people I know are getting PS4s instead of xboxes because of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

PSN: jaffusmaximus

if anyone wants to add me :)

I like you style man. Why pay 400e for a console yourself when you can play your buddies for free.

Ive a feeling im gonna be very popular for a few weeks when I get mine too.

Getting the day one release and have a week booked off work.......mint

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Just should've told him you get more for less money with the PS4. Nearly all the people I know are getting PS4s instead of xboxes because of that

I dont know about the more for less as the xbone does have some features that the PS4 dosent and it comes with the kinect (love it or hate it, 2.0 is a significant upgrade from the original).... But who cares about the extras, I wouldn't use any of them myself. I want a GAMING console so PS4 it is.

Although I am getting the Killzone Bundle with extra controller and camera. I honestly have no idea what ill use the camera for but worked out cheap enough in the bundle

Nagin wrote: »
    I like you style man. Why pay 400e for a console yourself when you can play your buddies for free.

Ive a feeling im gonna be very popular for a few weeks when I get mine too.

Getting the day one release and have a week booked off work.......mint

I am a bit confused m8. The reason I want him to switch, is because I am getting one myself. I got Killzone mega bundle, Ghost and Knack all payed off already. So I dont need him to buy one so I could have a free go at it.

I even told him, that if he buys ps4, I would buy myself BF4 on PS4 Asap, even if I got it on PC with premium already.
    He originally wanted to build a PC, but as he is a young parent and his misses is not working, he cant really afford it. So I am trying to get him to look at PS4 instead as it will be a lot greater value for him with PS+ on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I dont know about the more for less as the xbone does have some features that the PS4 dosent and it comes with the kinect (love it or hate it, 2.0 is a significant upgrade from the original).... But who cares about the extras, I wouldn't use any of them myself. I want a GAMING console so PS4 it is.

Although I am getting the Killzone Bundle with extra controller and camera. I honestly have no idea what ill use the camera for but worked out cheap enough in the bundle

I'm the same, I rarely use the PS3 for anything other than gaming, just so many other options nowadays... SmartTV's, laptops, media players, media boxes etc.

I know Sony tried to push the PS3 as a "PC" to get the cheaper tax rate, but I'm glad now they have made gaming first and extras, which we will see plenty of in the coming years, are included but not the selling point.

At the end of the day, we are the winners when two giant corporations are bending over backwards to win our money... although Sony have bent a bit further in that respect.

If the camera is useless, I'll sell it on for 30 quid or something, it makes my Gamer bundle more value at present.

21 Days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It was shown on the PS3 that SSD's did make a difference

Nope, in some cases SSDs were actually slower. Overall a 5,400rpm HDD is the best option for the PS3. It can't even take full advantage of a 7,200rpm drive 99% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nope, in some cases SSDs were actually slower. Overall a 5,400rpm HDD is the best option for the PS3. It can't even take full advantage of a 7,200rpm drive 99% of the time.

This seems to suggest it does make a difference, in some cases at least - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-ps3-ssd-upgrade-loading,11811.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

*reads thread*

*sees people excited about Knack*

*rubs eyes*

Yes this is really happening!

*reads thread*

*sees Mozattack Complaining*

*rubs eyes*

:rolleyes:
    I Cannot wait for Knack. Looks awesome! And BF4 too! I'm a All-round kinda gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

mozattack wrote: »
    *reads thread*

*rubs eyes*

It could be the PS4's Kameo or the likes. Not everyone likes 'Merica War Fighter 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

mozattack wrote: »
    *reads thread*

*rubs eyes*

Is there any games you like? You complain here about any games thats not an FPS, and over in the battlefield forum you complain about Battlefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

More powerful for less money and with great game developers. TV and Kinect are not features I'd have any interest at all in and is just a waste of money to me.

I'm buying it for games and with PS+, they really can't be beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I kind of hate this bro-like "if it ain't got guns/violence it doesn't matter" approach some have to entertainment/art. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

e_e wrote: »
    I kind of hate this bro-like "if it ain't got guns/violence it doesn't matter" approach some have to entertainment/art. :pac:

Reminds me of the time my friend gave me a very politically incorrect, yet still arguable funny answer to the question:

"Have you ever played Flower?"

"No, I'm straight"

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time my friend gave me a very politically incorrect, yet still arguable funny answer to the question:

"Have you ever played Flower?"

"No, I'm straight"

I honestly Laughed out loud at this. Brilliant!

And yes, I am really excited about Knack Myself. I did not even knew it got Co-op! Thats even better. If what, Knack looks like a a nice refreshing thing in a world of games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement