Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bigger HD, YAY!
    Bigger installs, oh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Xenji wrote: »
    50 gig is just the minimum you need on your system, it will not be installing all of that, the difference is that all PS4 games are now a mandatory install.

And I still don't understand the reasoning as to why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd nearly want to be upgrading the HDD before I even turn the thing on at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Disturbing

bandp2f5q.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    And I still don't understand the reasoning as to why that is.

Because it's necessary to manage the high res textures, details, speed and resolutions people expect and developers want from a new console. It's a small cost for progress, as unfortunately disc based media is no longer an optimal delivery format for games, and hasn't been for a while.

• Advertisement

Why do people keep thinking they need to upgrade your HDD, it would make sense if you are going all digital, but Shu has stated that you could play as many games as you like, just as long as you have 50 gigs of HDD space left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

According to the kotaku article I quoted where they talk to Mark Cerny that does not seem to be the case ( http://kotaku.com/how-mandatory-game-installations-will-work-on-ps4-1462283797 ) , the ps4 wont auto delete date that's installed/cached by the game to the hdd, that data will stay on the system until the user deletes it. So you will need 39GB for knack and 45GB for Killzone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Was there any word as to whether or not Europe will also receive the 30 day trial for PlayStation Plus in the box with the console?

I don't have a PS Plus account and I am wondering would I be better off waiting for the 30 day free trial first before buying a years sub? That way I would get a 395 days of PS Plus?

CombatCow wrote: »
    According to the kotaku article I quoted where they talk to Mark Cerny that does not seem to be the case ( http://kotaku.com/how-mandatory-game-installations-will-work-on-ps4-1462283797 ) , the ps4 wont auto delete date that's installed/cached by the game to the hdd, that data will stay on the system until the user deletes it. So you will need 39GB for knack and 45GB for Killzone etc.

The way they were going to go with first sounded a lot better http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10/30/ps4s-mandatory-installs-wont-eat-up-your-hard-drive-its-just-cache-space/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Deedsie wrote: »
    Was there any word as to whether or not Europe will also receive the 30 day trial for PlayStation Plus in the box with the console?

I don't have a PS Plus account and I am wondering would I be better off waiting for the 30 day free trial first before buying a years sub? That way I would get a 395 days of PS Plus?

I read somewhere Europe was getting 2 weeks PS+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xenji wrote: »

It does, but from the times they've given you could always delete it yourself each time if need be and how many games will you have on the go; 3 or 4. After deleting it you can always just install again and be playing in a few minutes, hopefully this install is separate to patch and DLC so as to avoid re-downloading those.

Yeah, the main thing to understand here is that they refer to installing as a first-launch disk dump and the caching is an "install" as you play up to the total space it requires, they didn't clarify this system well enough a while back I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,398 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads im unsure should I keep my preorder of ps4. There's only one game at launch I would be interested in and that's Killzone. Any other games coming out soon after launch that look good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd say have a look through these on Youtube. If they're not for you, then cancel it, alright, I'd say.

The reason I'm not getting a Xbox One at launch is because the line up at the moment doesn't interest me, so it's best some kid who wants it more gets it at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm not liking this new information about the link between the PS4 and Facebook. To make the most of your PSN profile you will need a Facebook account.

Engadget article

But plenty of good stuff in their other article.

Engadget article 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

A new PS4 UI video popped up. Looks nice and snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

lertsnim wrote: »
    I read somewhere Europe was getting 2 weeks PS+

Hopefully that will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hopefully that will be the case.

I would not really care about it... 2 weeks are like what? 2.5eu? Cant even buy a roll for it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm not liking this new information about the link between the PS4 and Facebook. To make the most of your PSN profile you will need a Facebook account.

No where in that article did it say you need a FB account to make the most of it - It's an option.
    Otherwise it's the same as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I live in the US, and my sister has asked me to bring one back at christmas. I've read the games aren't likely to be region locked, but are there any other issues I'm likely to hit doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Stky10 wrote: »
    I live in the US, and my sister has asked me to bring one back at christmas. I've read the games aren't likely to be region locked, but are there any other issues I'm likely to hit doing this?

Blu rays are region locked, and DLC for games may or may not be region locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

Only thing is it will be same as ps3 locked down too region of dvds and blurays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Stky10 wrote: »

PSU and warranty - if anything goes wrong with the console, your warranty is with the store you bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Would Sony here fix a US console? Out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

Nope only European consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Got it working now, this came yesterday

10799696985_b453bc4d34.jpg
    2013-11-11 13.55.16 by beercr8te, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

beercr8te wrote: »
    COD: Ghost pic

61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

Amazon.com have just launched a playstation network section on their site, it allows you to buy digital content for PS3,Vita,PS4.

The PS4 section is lacking in content at the moment but this is a great move from amazon/sony. Amazon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CombatCow wrote: »
    Amazon.com have just launched a playstation network section on their site, it allows you to buy digital content for PS3,Vita,PS4.

The PS4 section is lacking in content at the moment but this is a great move from amazon/sony. Amazon.com

Wow! This is absolutely huge news. This could seriously be the beginning of much cheaper games. Not steam sale standard but this will make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

It's getting more and more tempting to just go with a US only PSN account from here on out.

Would love to see Amazon.co.uk follow suit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement