Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »
    There is no "messing" with accounts.
    Everyone should have as a minimum an Irish, US, UK, Hong Kong and Japanese accounts to take advantage of discounts/quirky games not available in every region.

It was fine with the PS3 as the system activation was console based, you'd 2 PS3s with any number of accounts active on them and then play with you're preferred account.

But now you'll have the 1 home console and if you want to play on a second console which you can to use the downloaded content you'll need to be using the original purchasing account.

The PS4 isn't on the Vita's level of awkward but it's worse than the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Rayman Legends confirmed for the PS4 in February

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/11/12/rayman-legends-hits-next-gen-in-february

I don't even have a PS4 and a backlog is already forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Any word on Ps4 games and Online passes so far? Did any of publishers decided to show finger to gamers after all?
    From the ultimate FAQ:

Will any PS4 titles use an Online Pass?

First-party titles on PS4 (titles developed by Sony Computer Entertainment) will not use an Online Pass program. When it comes to third-party titles, PlayStation won’t dictate the strategy of publishers concerning Online Pass programs. However, most third parties have phased out the use of Online Pass systems, so they’re unlikely to appear on PS4.

EA and ubisoft have gotten rid of them so I think they are mostly dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Lucreto wrote: »

I don't think SSDs are going to make much of a difference. Personally, I am a hoarder, even digitally so I am going for size... rather than girth... o.0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HGST-Travelstar-5K1500-5TB-SATA/dp/B00E7LO072

• Advertisement

What does trophy syncing mean?

Just read people complaining a bit on neogaf that trophies still have to be synced on PS4 like PS3 but i have no idea what it means?

I though about a hybrid drive too but reading up on them and seeing the way they store data on the ssd part has lead me to think it won't be much of an advantage putting one in a ps4.

This is the fastest 2.5 hdd money can buy atm, I'm tempted by this myself now: HITACHI 0J22423 Travelstar 7K1000 1TB 2.5 inch Hard Drive - SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 32MB Buffer
    http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B4QESVQ

This one I believe is a close second: Western Digital 750GB 2.5 inch SATA Internal Hard Drive - Black
    http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DSUTX3O

Depending on my financial situation I'll get one if these or a 500gb ssd.

Regardless we should know more by the weekend then the US have had time to do the research for us, so either way I'm gonna hold off buying until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Just read people complaining a bit on neogaf that trophies still have to be synced on PS4 like PS3 but i have no idea what it means?

Uploading your obtained trophies to the Playstation servers. It is annoying that it doesn't happen automatically behind the scenes but its a small inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

When ever you go to check your trophy list on th PS3 they won't just show up, they have to sync to the PSN server first. It's a pain as sometimes it can take a while and other times about 3 seconds.

Thanks. I hadn't a clue :o

Good little article here "A Few Last Minute Bits of PlayStation 4 Info" - http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-few-last-minute-bits-of-playstation-4-info/1100-4785/

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    I don't think SSDs are going to make much of a difference. Personally, I am a hoarder, even digitally so I am going for size... rather than girth... o.0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HGST-Travelstar-5K1500-5TB-SATA/dp/B00E7LO072

That one won't fit in a PS4.

When ever you go to check your trophy list on th PS3 they won't just show up, they have to sync to the PSN server first. It's a pain as sometimes it can take a while and other times about 3 seconds.

Ps+ will auto sync trophies at a time that you define in the settings, so unless you are checking your trophy list a few times a day it's not really an issue. Still let's hope it along the lines if the vita syncing speeds.

CombatCow wrote: »
    I though about a hybrid drive too but reading up on them and seeing the way they store data on the ssd part has lead me to think it won't be much of an advantage putting one in a ps4.

This is the fastest 2.5 hdd money can buy atm, I'm tempted by this myself now: HITACHI 0J22423 Travelstar 7K1000 1TB 2.5 inch Hard Drive - SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 32MB Buffer
    http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B4QESVQ

This one I believe is a close second: Western Digital 750GB 2.5 inch SATA Internal Hard Drive - Black
    http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DSUTX3O

Depending on my financial situation I'll get one if these or a 500gb ssd.

Regardless we should know more by the weekend then the US have had time to do the research for us, so either way I'm gonna hold off buying until then.

That is an advantage of being 2 weeks later.

I don't think the first one will fit. the second one is good but I need a 1tb. I see the PS4 has 406gb usable space after OS. I think COD and Battlefield are installed as well but I see the space filling up fast.

That is an advantage of being 2 weeks later.

I don't think the first one will fit. the second one is good but I need a 1tb. I see the PS4 has 406gb usable space after OS. I think COD and Battlefield are installed as well but I see the space filling up fast.

Any standard 2.5 drive will fit. I'm looking for speed over storage space myself as I don't think I'll have more then 5-6 games in it at a time, but it is a concern losing nearly 100gb off the bat.

Any standard 2.5 drive will fit. I'm looking for speed over storage space myself as I don't think I'll have more then 5-6 games in it at a time, but it is a concern losing nearly 100gb off the bat.

It is getting harder to find a standard HDD. You need a 0.9cm size. I have seen them at 1.2cm and 1.5cm. You have to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Is it true you can't watch mp4's and avi's from a usb stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Well not standard, Must be no more than 9.5mm thick.

Maximum size is looking to be 1.5TB, and that's sacrificing speeds to PS standard of 5400RPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

It is getting harder to find a standard HDD. You need a 0.9cm size. I have seen them at 1.2cm and 1.5cm. You have to be careful.

Yeah be sure to check specs so its no bigger than 9.5mm. You can get them at 1tb and 7200 RPM so not too bad.

Well not standard, Must be no more than 9.5mm thick.
    Maximum size is looking to be 1.5TB, and that's sacrificing speeds to PS standard of 5400RPM.

Well not to be pedantic but 2.5" 9.5mm high are considered "standard". Seagate will have the 2tb M9T model from early next year will fit the ps4 but is still 5400rpm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Keno wrote: »
    Is it true you can't watch mp4's and avi's from a usb stick?

Yes that's true at launch but it may be patched later to allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaveyLad

Anyone know if we'll be able to change the DNS settings on the PS4 to be able to get US Netflix like we can on the PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

That one won't fit in a PS4.

Yes, it will.

Physical size
    Z-Height (mm) 9.5
    Dimensions (width x depth, mm) 70x100
    Weight (g, max) 118

The HDD that comes with the PS4 is 5400RPM so like the PS3, the PS4 may not benefit from a 7200RPM drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

DaveyLad wrote: »
    Anyone know if we'll be able to change the DNS settings on the PS4 to be able to get US Netflix like we can on the PS3?

You definitely will be able to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Otacon wrote: »
    The HDD that comes with the PS4 is 5400RPM so like the PS3, the PS4 may not benefit from a 7200RPM drive.

It's well documented online that there is a speed bump installing a faster hard drive in the ps3, mostly it affects install times and granted its not huge but there is a difference: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/7200rpm-vs-5400rpm-HDD-for-the-PS3/td-p/14888551

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"The biggest surprise for us all internally at Sony was; there were so many people who passionately reacted to our announcement that there's no MP3 support and DLNA support on day one," said Yoshida.

Then there are some deluded people at Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Grayditch wrote: »
    "The biggest surprise for us all internally at Sony was; there were so many people who passionately reacted to our announcement that there's no MP3 support and DLNA support on day one," said Yoshida.

I'm not buying that myself. Although it's great that they're looking in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Grayditch wrote: »

youre only figuring that out now? the PS3 was one of the biggest examples of how deluded sony are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement