Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Lucreto wrote: »
    Polygon reviews the PS4 console. 7.5/10

"But the PlayStation 4's focus on gaming — and only gaming — is undermined by a distinct lack of compelling software"

Hardware review...based on software. Nice!

hardware is only as strong as the software on it to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't rate polygon after their last of us review.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaveyLad

Anyone played the PS4 yet?? Was in Argos at Liffey Valley on Saturday, they have a demo model up and running with most launch games, was playing Fifa for a while with a queue of kids behind me waiting for a game, the wife had to physically drag me out of the shop so they could have a shot, Id still be there now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Yup! Playing knack! Be right be lads!

DSC_0163_zpsb1edc95b.jpg

Where is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

That poor bargain bin. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

NTMK wrote: »

1080p 60fps on most games is all I need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

NTMK wrote: »

Software on launch day is an easy target to criticise, especially when all these ps4 hardware reviews have not used the latest day 1 firmware that just went live this morning in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well just got back home. Played some Knack and had a good wee "touch" of a controller. Only. Could play 2 demos on system: knack and fifa.

So yeah Knack - looked okay, but not spectacular, no proper shadows and some very noticeable frame dips when using super attacks. It looked like game is locked at 30, but you could clearly see it drop. It looked llike very early demo so I bet final product will be much better. Game ot self is really fun, quite challenging too. I would definitely not mark it as kiddies game.

Ps 4 it self is quite small. Looks good behind the glass.

Controller - well... It's way better then ps3 one that's for sure. D-PAD Great, sticks awesome, buttons feel very nice. The triggers?... Better then ps3 for sure, but not as good as 360. I am not talking as fanboy too now, so back off. Problem is they feel very.... Flimsy due to their shape. A bit disappointed there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Knack will be on PS+ in a couple of months I reckon.

Knack wont ever be PlayStation plus because its average review score is going to be below 7.5 or the equivalent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Still gonna buy knack :pac:

• Advertisement

Controller - well... It's way better then ps3 one that's for sure. D-PAD Great, sticks awesome, buttons feel very nice. The triggers?... Better then ps3 for sure, but not as good as 360. I am not talking as fanboy too now, so back off. Problem is they feel very.... Flimsy due to their shape. A bit disappointed there. :(

Goddamnit.

CombatCow wrote: »

Well 500gb ssd forth 500eu increases the speed mildly so far on fully digital games... If you ask me, I better spend that 500eu on getting Xbox one too to accompany my ps4...

*Just called back to gamestop and swapped my Knack Preorder for NFS Rivals. :(

Shocked by the Knack reviews. I was expecting at least a 7+ and nothing lower but no its 4 and 5s across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭lertsnim

CombatCow wrote: »

Quite a sizeable loading time difference with the SSD. Hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Shocked by the Knack reviews. I was expecting at least a 7+ and nothing lower but no its 4 and 5s across the board.

Yep, did not expect them to be that low. I'd rather get something else, obvious!

Will Assassin's Creed Black Flag look much better on next gen, does anyone know?

lertsnim wrote: »
    Quite a sizeable loading time difference with the SSD. Hmmmmm

seems that way so far, will be interesting with more testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I like the idea of putting in a bigger HD, but, I'd be afraid I'd void the warranty. It's a new console, and there might be other issues with the first batch,no?

srumball wrote: »
    Where is this?

Mallow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Grayditch wrote: »
    I like the idea of putting in a bigger HD, but, I'd be afraid I'd void the warranty. It's a new console, and there might be other issues with the first batch,no?

You won't void the warranty because the PS4 is designed to take out the HDD to expand it. The top cover just pops off.

Yep, did not expect them to be that low. I'd rather get something else, obvious!

Will Assassin's Creed Black Flag look much better on next gen, does anyone know?

Yeah the water, weather and lighting effects are much better on next gen.

Well 500gb ssd forth 500eu increases the speed mildly so far on fully digital games... If you ask me, I better spend that 500eu on getting Xbox one too to accompany my ps4...

*Just called back to gamestop and swapped my Knack Preorder for NFS Rivals. :(

A 500gb SSD is €250 btw

Nice one, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'm not sure why the scores are so low tbh. It's a solid 7 and an 8+ for ratchet and clank fans

Did you play much of it? They seem to say it gets very repetitive throughout. That might be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Just watched a review of Knack. I didn't expect him to be voiced by what sounds like a 45 year old black man. I was expecting more Spongebob Squarepants and less Rusty Nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Was thinking of buying Killzone at around launch but after watching a review, I'm not so sure now.

Looking for something more "present day" and "realistic" really.

Would people recommend Call of Duty or Battlefield?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Was thinking of buying Killzone at around launch but after watching a review, I'm not so sure now.

Looking for something more "present day" and "realistic" really.

Would people recommend Call of Duty or Battlefield?

From what I've heard, Battlefield is the way to go. Reviews of CoD:Ghost seem to be very mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Just watched a review of Knack. I didn't expect him to be voiced by what sounds like a 45 year old black man. I was expecting more Spongebob Squarepants and less Rusty Nail.

He doesn't speak when it is the small size but when he get to Ganon size he can speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Did you play much of it? They seem to say it gets very repetitive throughout. That might be a factor.

Yeah, the whole thing. Maybe the were expecting something a bit different. I dunno. Im a big r&c fan and I enjoyed it immensely, but I wasn't expecting anything other than an action based, melee heavy platftormer with bright graphics... My major gaming weak spot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement