Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Was thinking of buying Killzone at around launch but after watching a review, I'm not so sure now.

Looking for something more "present day" and "realistic" really.

Would people recommend Call of Duty or Battlefield?
    Killzone is fun. I really enjoyed it (8\10 for me), but definitely recommend battlefield ahead of it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

RE: Knack.

Well that's good to hear. If the local co-op is done well, it still might be worth my while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

COYVB wrote: »
    Killzone is fun. I really enjoyed it (8\10 for me), but definitely recommend battlefield ahead of it to be honest

What about as a single player only game. KZ would beat BF4 there hands down, no.

I don't like the BF games myself as the weapons are far to weak and get fed up reloading after killing one person. I like being able to gun down 3-4 people with one magazine.

Grayditch wrote: »
    RE: Knack.

Well that's good to hear. If the local co-op is done well, it still might be worth my while.

Local co-op is a bit of a strange one. Its fun to play, but player 2 is essentially invincible (you respawn after dying where knacks death brings you both back to the last checkpoint). Keep knack out of danger and let player 2 look after enemies and you can't fail.

What about as a single player only game. KZ would beat BF4 there hands down, no.

I don't like the BF games myself as the weapons are far to weak and get fed up reloading after killing one person. I like being able to gun down 3-4 people with one magazine.

Single player yes, if you're not looking for modern day like the guy in the thread was. I enjoyed the story and the way the narrative played out a lot. I didn't think the multiplayer was all that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CombatCow wrote: »

A 500gb SSD is €250 btw

A good Samsung is still about 300eu ( it is lower then 500eu, I did not realised they droped so low lately ), not 250eu.
    Still 300eu on top of the 400eu? For same 500gb storage, but little bit faster. Sorry, but I will stick in my nasty PC nature in here. Anyone who Does this and spends over 700eu has no more right to bitch about PC being too expensive.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500gb-samsung-840-series-basic-25-ssd-3-core-mdx-21nm-toggle-nand-read-530mb-s-write-330mb-s-97k-iop

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I like the idea of putting in a bigger HD, but, I'd be afraid I'd void the warranty. It's a new console, and there might be other issues with the first batch,no?

It won't.

If you have to send it back to Sony or the shop you'll need to put the 500GB back in as they won't bother with it and you might lose the 1TB+ drive if they send you a new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

I suppose the thing with Knack too is, that its probably going to aimed mainly at children and younger players, so it probably won't really matter what the reviews say. If wee Johnny is getting a PS4 for Christmas are his parents going to buy him Call of Duty or the nice cartoony looking game?

It will still do well in sales I would think, and the target market will more than likely enjoy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If wee Johnny is getting a PS4 for Christmas are his parents going to buy him Call of Duty or the nice cartoony looking game?

I'm not wee anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Files size for all launch day games, prices also but in Dollars
    Angry Birds Star Wars: 1.5Gb : $49.99
    AC4 Black Flag Gold Edition: 21.2GB : $79.99
    AC4 Black Flag: 21.2GB : $59.99
    Battlefield 4: 33.9GB : $59.99
    Black Light Retribution: 4.9GB : F2P
    Call of Duty: Ghosts: 31.1GB : $59.99
    Call of Duty: Ghosts Digital Hardened Edition: 31.3GB : $119.99 (season pack)
    Contrast: 2.3GB : $14.99
    DC Universe Online: 22.7GB : F2P
    DC Universe Online Ultimate Edition: 22.7GB : $29.99
    FIFA 14: 9GB : $59.99
    Flower: 1.8GB : $6.99
    Injustice: Gods Among Us: 22GB: $59.99
    Just Dance: 22GB : $49.99
    Killzone Shadow Fall: 38.5GB : $59.99
    Knack: 35.6GB : $59.99
    LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: 6.4GB : $59.99
    Madden NFL 25 : 13.1GB : $59.99
    NBA 2K14: 41.8GB : $59.99
    NFS Rivals (TBA)
    Resogun: 460.8MB : $14.99
    Sound Shapes: 3.4GB : $14.99
    Super Motherlode: 393.6MB : $13.99
    Trine 2: Complete Story: 2.6GB : $19.99
    Warframe: 4.2GB : F2P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

$50 for angry birds. What a rip off. Who would actually pay that much for it?

Something MGS related no doubt

2013-11-1317_21_43-twjys1m.png

Xenji wrote: »
    Something MGS related no doubt

2013-11-1317_21_43-twjys1m.png

Snake is actually a Tranny? :pac:

Live Stream of Knack going on here at the moment, Res0gun up next

http://www.twitch.tv/jed05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I am not spending a huge amount on a SSD for 10 seconds improvement.

I have a 1tb drive for £79,99 that will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Watching that now he is saying Knack is really good and that he doesn't get the hate :rolleyes:

Like i am a huge fan of Killzone so i dont care about the reviews as it looks great. Loved 3 online maybe my fave game online on the PS3 destroys battlefield and CoD for me

Thats why i never go by reviews as the amount of games i have hated with good reviews looking at you GTA 5 you where a 6/10 game at best Sleeping dogs was 1000% times more fun, better story better everything over GTA 5

Thanks for the link.

I don't see the hate. It looks like like a good co-op game. I may not cancel the pre-order

Well, I dont know it it was posted already, but this Remote play looks solid for what I want.

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/11/13/ps4-remote-play-put-to-the-test

Sleeping dogs was 1000% times more fun, better story better everything over GTA 5

I wouldn't be with you on that.

• Advertisement

That Knack stream chatbox just turned all "Dicks and Hitler", which is funnier than watching the game. The guy seems pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I wouldn't be with you on that.

Why what so great about the story in GTA 5 it was all over the place there was no need for franklin at all in that game he done notting at all

The car controls where so bad maybe the worst i have ever played in a GTA

The gun control was just auto lock and it was so hard to die in the game

It was a game sold on the Hype in my book traded it in for €50 euros and never looked back as played the online and hated it was one of the worst online games i have ever played

The last of us for me is the game off the year not GTA 5 i can tell you that one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I really enjoyed sleeping dogs, a fun game with limited replay value, the story was cheesy and clichéd as [insert cliche here] though.

Each to their own, I thought GTA 5 was better than Sleeping Dogs on a lot of counts I don't wanna clog up the PS4 thread with. Sleeping Dogs was still great.

Knack looks kinda good, after watching it for a while! I realise how much I keep changing my mind about my feelings on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

is anyone watching the Polygon stream ? I just found the website the other day and its very good. They put up a ton of stuff about the PS4. The reviews of Knack and Killzone where pretty tough and they didn't do so good. I was going to get Killzone but not now.

The PS4 got a good review but not everything is perfect. Also there isn't a whole lot of games in the pipeline till late spring/early summer 2014 which is a bit of a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

aindriu80 wrote: »
    is anyone watching the Polygon stream ? I just found the website the other day and its very good. They put up a ton of stuff about the PS4. The reviews of Knack and Killzone where pretty tough and they didn't do so good. I was going to get Killzone but not now.

The PS4 got a good review but not everything is perfect. Also there isn't a whole lot of games in the pipeline till late spring/early summer 2014 which is a bit of a surprise.

IIRC Polygon gave, what I and most people I know consider to be the game of the year if not the best game ever, The Last Of Us like a 7/10. They can be overtly harsh at times imo.

Also to chime in on the minor GTA debate above. Massively overhyped game imo. Not deserving of the marks it got.

aindriu80 wrote: »

I don't take them seriously. They reviewed The Last of Us 7.5/10 an another zombie game while others gave it 10. They were funded by Microsoft to the tune of $750,000 to create a documentary. They had been first to promote the Xbox One and first to publish anything anti-playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Lucreto wrote: »
    I don't take them seriously. They reviewed The Last of Us 7.5/10 an another zombie game while others gave it 10. They were funded by Microsoft to the tune of $750,000 to create a documentary. They had been first to promote the Xbox One and first to publish anything anti-playstation.
    What spiteful bs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

miralize wrote: »
    What spiteful bs.
    The history of Polygon can trace back to early 2011, when Christopher Grant, then the editor-in-chief of AOL gaming blog Joystiq, was approached by Vox CEO Jim Bankoff, himself a former AOL executive. Bankoff offered to focus on online journalism with the launch of a new gaming website. This offer was rejected; Grant, in an interview with Forbes, later commented, "We're just going to ride it out with whatever publisher we're with now until they go out of business, and then we'll flip burgers."[2] However, Vox would launch The Verge in November that year; it features a new and visually-attractive design[citation needed], and contains documentary-line review videos. These attributes, along with endorsements of sponsors like Microsoft and BMW, led Grant to reconsider Bankoff's offer.

I'm not sure if youre calling what he said BS or what Polygon did BS but in anycase they were partly funded by Microsoft and their reviews are often inconsistent with the general consensus of the public and other reviewers. Their review of TLOU is (IMO) as bad as the review of Alien Colonial Marines, that effectively ended yer mans Journalistic career.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement