Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Got a laugh out of this. The framed Don Mattrick picture is genius

This gif from /r/pcmasterrace is funny as well.

iIEoa6RUHHnpB.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That last gif is funny, even if you're on either side of the fence, so to speak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Timmyctc wrote: »
    their reviews are often inconsistent with the general consensus of the public and other reviewers.

I'm not the biggest fan of Polygon (I'd happily take them over IGN, Gamespot etc... though), but generally speaking it's a good thing that some publications are willing to differ from the norm and not drink the hyperbole Kool-Aid that's often associated with games like The Last of Us. So many gamers are far too unwelcoming towards writers who have a differing opinion to their own: an intelligent, engaged critical discourse cannot exist without disagreement, and it saddens me every time I see a publication ripped apart for simply stating an honest, well articulated alternative opinion that does not conform with consensus. The fact that someone's career can effectively be ended by a single review says it all, really, regardless of whether or not it's well-written: the incredibly vocal gaming mob can be a terrifying thing.

7.5 out of 10's not bad for The Last Of Us. Upon reflection, I'd give it an 8.5-9 so a 7.5 or a 10 isn't shocking either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

IIRC Polygon gave, what I and most people I know consider to be the game of the year if not the best game ever, The Last Of Us like a 7/10. They can be overtly harsh at times imo.
    Lucreto wrote: »
    I don't take them seriously. They reviewed The Last of Us 7.5/10 an another zombie game while others gave it 10. They were funded by Microsoft to the tune of $750,000 to create a documentary. They had been first to promote the Xbox One and first to publish anything anti-playstation.

Yeah they are pretty hard on the reviews. They are playing COD now and reckon it has bad frame rate issues on the PS4 and Xbone would be the preferred console. A bit one sided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Yeah they are pretty hard on the reviews. They are playing COD now and reckon it has bad frame rate issues on the PS4 and Xbone would be the preferred console. A bit one sided.

But that makes sense. Frame-rate is key for a FPS. They also said their review maybe altered for the PS4 if the patch improves Frame rate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Grayditch wrote: »
    7.5 out of 10's not bad for The Last Of Us. Upon reflection, I'd give it an 8.5-9 so a 7.5 or a 10 isn't shocking either way.

That's the problem, the mob forms whenever a game is given 8 or less as everything underneath that is effectively deemed worthless or unfair.

How I wish more publications would just do away with ratings entirely and let the review actually speak for itself!

That's the problem, the mob forms whenever a game is given 8 or less as everything underneath that is effectively deemed worthless or unfair.

How I wish more publications would just do away with ratings entirely and let the review actually speak for itself!

But... then... we'd have to... read.. the words... ;)

But... then... we'd have to... read.. the words... ;)

A simple skill beyond the capacity of many internet commentors, regrettably :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I'm not the biggest fan of Polygon (I'd happily take them over IGN, Gamespot etc... though), but generally speaking it's a good thing that some publications are willing to differ from the norm and not drink the hyperbole Kool-Aid that's often associated with games like The Last of Us. So many gamers are far too unwelcoming towards writers who have a differing opinion to their own: an intelligent, engaged critical discourse cannot exist without disagreement, and it saddens me every time I see a publication ripped apart for simply stating an honest, well articulated alternative opinion that does not conform with consensus. The fact that someone's career can effectively be ended by a single review says it all, really, regardless of whether or not it's well-written or not: the incredibly vocal gaming mob can be a terrifying thing.

Most of their criticism RE: TLOU if I remember correctly was to do with how it was designed and the mood of the game, both which are critically acclaimed by basically everyone else in the world :P I agree more with Quarter to Three's analysis of the game ( rated lower ) where they fault the "Die-Restart Section again" aspect of the game which genuinely detracts from the horror and survival aspects and I can see how that could really ruin someones enjoyment of the game. I just don't see how the mood or design of the game can be faulted as much as Polygon fault it.

Polygon on average rate games 3 points lower than the general consensus I think too. I remember reading an article about them recently. I think they spout quite a bit of BS. Similar to Kotaku. Love that video above :pac:

• Advertisement

No one I know has a problem with giving it a rating lower than most. They just need to justify giving the mark they did. As all publications should, regardless of mark. My issue was with what Polygon faulted iirc they found some of the more popular aspects to be flaws. That and they are generally a **** publication imo :P

Speaking of Kotaku and stupid people on the Internet, this is a genuine post from underneath one of their articles from today. I really wish I was making this up:

Next can we have a discussion about how the full PS4 experience costs ~$700 while the XBone costs ~$140 less?

PS4:
    - $399 (Console)
    - $199 (Vita - required for Remote Play)
    - $59 (Camera)
    - $50 (PS Plus Membership - required for MP)
    ———————————————————————
    $707

XBox One:
    - $499 (Console)
    - $59 (Live Membership - required for, well, a lot)
    ———————————————————————
    $558

So about a $149 difference - give or take.

I've no problem with them rating everything lower than everywhere else, it allows for a game like, I dunno Half Life 2 to get a rightful score of 11 ;), but only if they're consistent. I never really read Polygon, to be honest, though.

Speaking of Kotaku and stupid people on the Internet, this is a genuine post from underneath one of their articles from today. I really wish I was making this up:

Next can we have a discussion about how the full PS4 experience costs ~$700 while the XBone costs ~$140 less?

PS4:
    - $399 (Console)
    - $199 (Vita - required for Remote Play)
    - $59 (Camera)
    - $50 (PS Plus Membership - required for MP)
    ———————————————————————
    $707

XBox One:
    - $499 (Console)
    - $59 (Live Membership - required for, well, a lot)
    ———————————————————————
    $558

So about a $149 difference - give or take.

Haha. Adds the Vita. Doesn't add Smartglass. Quickest moving of the goalposts ever.

Kotaku. Tackling the big hitting issues with the next gen consoles :pac:

Indeed! If I can't press down repeatedly on my console while I'm playing, I dunno about getting it. That would make for an uncomfortable dusting experience also.

Indeed! If I can't press down repeatedly on my console while I'm playing, I dunno about getting it. That would make for an uncomfortable dusting experience also.

Polygon: 7.5 for the wobble.

But srsly. If I had a PS4 literally the last thing I would do it is turn it off long enough to see if it was 100% level on the surface it sat on :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

A wobble, not being able to play MP3s, frame rate issues on COD. This is too much.

Does anyone want my amazon day one pre-order?
    I'm kiddng. Don't PM me asking for my amazon day one pre-order as it is minez.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Question Could you not make an Us account buy the game for 60 dollars and then gameshare it to your friend, costing you 30 dollars each ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Oat23 wrote: »
    A wobble, not being able to play MP3s, frame rate issues on COD. This is too much.

Does anyone want my amazon day one pre-order?
    I'm kiddng. Don't PM me asking for my amazon day one pre-order as it is minez.

some weird people care .. not sure why, but they do .. no reason to make fun out of those loosers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Between the Microsoft sponsorship, the Halo Mountain Dew 'news' item and the dodgy Sim City review, I find it very hard to believe anything they write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I think any review of PS4 should really give you an indication whether you should buy it now or not. And Polygon is right that it doesn't deserve 100% now, since all the games aren't that great on it, lots of functions aren't working yet and .. playstation camera is useless piece of hardware.

I just hope they change the score or do new review in few months and score is likely going to get much closer to 100%.

I would expect same score (7.5 - polygon) or slightly lower for xbox One. If they give it more than 7.5 - than there is something wrong with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Kotaku. Tackling the big hitting issues with the next gen consoles :pac:

Holy fu*k. Order cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

miralize wrote: »
    But that makes sense. Frame-rate is key for a FPS. They also said their review maybe altered for the PS4 if the patch improves Frame rate.

I don't think a patch can improve frame rate ? Maybe its just a bug ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

padair wrote: »
    Holy fu*k. Order cancelled

Likewise......WAIT I just found some post-it's, order un-cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Sure it can, or if it is a bug that can be fixed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Its done the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Your post makes no sense. You patch to fix bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

eddhorse wrote: »

It is due to a update issues, they should of not got the consoles early, none of the people invited to the PS4 reveal this week who got free consoles have reported any issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement