Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

you're in the states dude.

I assure you, I'm not

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

COYVB wrote: »
    I assure you, I'm not

North America then, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

sorry, i forgot the sticky tongue out smiley, that sounded more aggressive than was intended lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Okay here goes after having the console for the past day heres my first thoughts. Console bluray drive is quite noisy and this is possibly as its quite a quick drive and pulls all the data to the HDD whilst you are playing. During campaign mode in KZ it eventually stopped in the 2nd chapter ( I think) was pretty close to the start in anycase. There were some issue with logging onto PSN last night but all seems to be okay, for me at least, today so far. I had to attempt to log on about 6-7 times last night but got it sorted eventually. I've setup me US and IRL psn account logon on the unit with no issues. No media streaming as yet that I can see but havent hooked up an external to it yet to see if that plays so that will be tried in the next few days. Ok on to the software KZ: still undecided but never liked the KZ franchise previously so giving it a go this time as COD isn't going near my console until I get it in a sale. NFS Rivals I actuall like but I liked NFS:MW even though it was really easy. I've only played it twice so far so still getting to grips with it. FIFA well its FIFA either you love it or you hate it and I'm back and forth although one thing I've noticed so far is that with all the PS3 versions of FIFA my frustration during ever game over the stupid things that happen isnt there so far, Granted I'm only in game 4 now but if I played 4 on the PS3 version I know I would have had it. This was swapped in as a last minute game in place of knack after the reviews it got and the uneasy feeling I got after looking at the reviews versus the $60 price tag. So of the physical media my ratings are

KZ 7.5 / 10
    NFS 8 /10
    FIFA 7/10

Now onto the PSN games. I have 4 downloaded: Resogun, Contrast, Warframe and Trine2. I've only gotten round to playing 2 of there so far.
    Resogun was hoping I'd get what I saw from the demo's/streams and I love it its just so damn addictive havent played a game like it in ages constantly saying just on more go. Trine 2 thanks to the person that posted the link to it in either this thread or the preorder one as it my second favourite game so far but it's still early days. Haven't gotten to the other 2 yet.

So of the PSN media my ratings are
    Resogun 9/10
    Trine 2 8.5/10

Lastly The pre-installed media "The playroom" while most will either hate it or not even bother with it I got the camera so my 3 boys could muck around with it and they love it. Ages 9,4 and 1 love playing around with the robots on the floor they had more fun, and more gametime, had I probably did today. Anyway thats all for now will fill in more if/when I get some.

Thx,
    W

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

One thing that Sony did wrong in the PS3 was not to make a demo compulsory for every game on the PSN Store. Microsoft did this for the LIVE and it was great.

Any know if all games will have a demo on the PS4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Are they using the touchpad in FIFA to aim the shots, like the Vita backtouchpad? I loved that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

By saying retailers will have few PS4 handy to exchange if yours is broken I didn't mean they gonna keep them under counter.

But if yours break I'm sure they are not going to put you in line and tell you to wait until next year (february) to get replacement.

Amazon for sure is going to have few spare ones, and others are going to talk with Sony to make sure customers get replacement as soon as possible.

So if mine breaks I'm pretty confident I get replacement from Amazon sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

198321 wrote: »
    By saying retailers will have few PS4 handy to exchange if yours is broken I didn't mean they gonna keep them under counter.

But if yours break I'm sure they are not going to put you in line and tell you to wait until next year (february) to get replacement.

Amazon for sure is going to have few spare ones, and others are going to talk with Sony to make sure customers get replacement as soon as possible.

So if mine breaks I'm pretty confident I get replacement from Amazon sooner than later.

I wouldn't be so sure. A poster over on NeoGAF had their PS4 bricked. They got if from Amazon but they are only offering a refund.

I wouldn't be so sure. A poster over on NeoGAF had their PS4 bricked. They got if from Amazon but they are only offering a refund.

Well that sucks .. but it doesn't seem PS4 is in such shortage as PS3 was. Many people in US got it even without preorder, most people in Europe are getting it before Christmas and even Asda in UK is still selling it for release date delivery.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I see FIFA is getting good reviews :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Kotaku. Tackling the big hitting issues with the next gen consoles :pac:

Sounds like it doesnt have LRF support.

Little rubber feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Remote Play works relatively well over LTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Okay here goes after having the console for the past day heres my first thoughts. Console bluray drive is quite noisy and this is possibly as its quite a quick drive and pulls all the data to the HDD whilst you are playing. During campaign mode in KZ it eventually stopped in the 2nd chapter ( I think) was pretty close to the start in anycase. There were some issue with logging onto PSN last night but all seems to be okay, for me at least, today so far. I had to attempt to log on about 6-7 times last night but got it sorted eventually. I've setup me US and IRL psn account logon on the unit with no issues. No media streaming as yet that I can see but havent hooked up an external to it yet to see if that plays so that will be tried in the next few days. Ok on to the software KZ: still undecided but never liked the KZ franchise previously so giving it a go this time as COD isn't going near my console until I get it in a sale. NFS Rivals I actuall like but I liked NFS:MW even though it was really easy. I've only played it twice so far so still getting to grips with it. FIFA well its FIFA either you love it or you hate it and I'm back and forth although one thing I've noticed so far is that with all the PS3 versions of FIFA my frustration during ever game over the stupid things that happen isnt there so far, Granted I'm only in game 4 now but if I played 4 on the PS3 version I know I would have had it. This was swapped in as a last minute game in place of knack after the reviews it got and the uneasy feeling I got after looking at the reviews versus the $60 price tag. So of the physical media my ratings are

KZ 7.5 / 10
    NFS 8 /10
    FIFA 7/10

Now onto the PSN games. I have 4 downloaded: Resogun, Contrast, Warframe and Trine2. I've only gotten round to playing 2 of there so far.
    Resogun was hoping I'd get what I saw from the demo's/streams and I love it its just so damn addictive havent played a game like it in ages constantly saying just on more go. Trine 2 thanks to the person that posted the link to it in either this thread or the preorder one as it my second favourite game so far but it's still early days. Haven't gotten to the other 2 yet.

So of the PSN media my ratings are
    Resogun 9/10
    Trine 2 8.5/10

Lastly The pre-installed media "The playroom" while most will either hate it or not even bother with it I got the camera so my 3 boys could muck around with it and they love it. Ages 9,4 and 1 love playing around with the robots on the floor they had more fun, and more gametime, had I probably did today. Anyway thats all for now will fill in more if/when I get some.

Thx,
    W

Great review, I would be very curious about the external hard drive side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Deedsie wrote: »
    I would be very curious about the external hard drive side of things.

Not supported at all for the time being, same as the X1. Unless they added it on the sly in 1.50 update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Great review, I would be very curious about the external hard drive side of things.
    They will eventually support it but the external drive will not support game installs, only media files.

https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/373623812681523200?screen_name=yosp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Not supported at all for the time being, same as the X1. Unless they added it on the sly in 1.50 update.
    They will eventually support it but the external drive will not support game installs, only media files.

https://mobile.twitter.com/yosp/status/373623812681523200?screen_name=yosp

I just wanted to get first hand confirmation from someone who actually has a PS4 what happens if you plug in a FAT32 formatted ext hard drive and an ntfs formatted external hard drive. I have yet to see any official confirmation either way. They said it couldn't play mp3 (I know they have since reversed this decision) files, never said anything about avi etc

If you can install firmware updates on a memory stick does that indicate only FAT32 format will be supported as with the PS3 etc etc

If you can install firmware updates on a memory stick does that indicate only FAT32 format will be supported as with the PS3 etc etc

It looks that way alright. The memory stick you use to update the PS4 has to be in FAT32 format and with the proper sub folder format as before. Don't know what they don't go to NTFS, someone said it was down to having to pay MS royalties if they do as MS own the NTFS format.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It looks that way alright. The memory stick you use to update the PS4 has to be in FAT32 format and with the proper sub folder format as before. Don't know what they don't go to NTFS, someone said it was down to having to pay MS royalties if they do as MS own the NTFS format.:confused:

Doesn't the XBOX only use FAT32 also?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

One thing that Sony did wrong in the PS3 was not to make a demo compulsory for every game on the PSN Store. Microsoft did this for the LIVE and it was great.

Any know if all games will have a demo on the PS4?

I know there is a demo coming out for NBA Live on both consoles, but not sure if all games will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It seems that quite a few people who are having issues with their PS4 do not actually know that it is just overheating.
    Some IGN users and a few other folks online are reporting problems with their PlayStation 4 -- a mysterious, blinking red light atop the hardware. Many feared ahead of the console's launch that this "red line of death" indicated PS4's fail state, meaning the next-gen console was dead. This is not the case. Here's the deal.

If you boot your PlayStation 4 and find yourself staring at an ominous red line, it means your PS4 is overheating. But don't fret -- it's not bricked, it hasn't melted, and it won't explode. The machine just needs time to cool down, so step away and try again later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Xenji wrote: »
    It seems that quite a few people who are having issues with their PS4 do not actually know that it is just overheating.

It shouldn't be overheating though when you boot it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I also find it hard to believe that it's already overheating. It's only been out for 2 days now.

The reports a tiny bit worrying but hopefully it'll be a bit more clear next week what the issues are, how widespread they actually are and if a patch can sort it out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thank you year one beta testers, you're saving my wallet from possible heartbreak.

Thank you year one beta testers, you're saving my wallet from possible heartbreak.

You know that if it breaks you get replacement or full refund ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

gtfo-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2724.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Overheating reports are a bit worrying, but we dont know exact cases.

I bet people still love to jam in consoles in enclosed undertelly shelves, where it breaths its own hot air and dust.
    I really doubt Sony did not do proper testing on temps PS4 has to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Overheating reports are a bit worrying, but we dont know exact cases.

I bet people still love to jam in consoles in enclosed undertelly shelves, where it breaths its own hot air and dust.
    I really doubt Sony did not do proper testing on temps PS4 has to work on.

Iv seen many many a pic of people putting them on carpets and enclosed tv units, overheating is to be expected if you are that dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

CombatCow wrote: »
    Iv seen many many a pic of people putting them on carpets and enclosed tv units, overheating is to be expected if you are that dumb

Air circulation is critical! Also a work of art like the PS4 deserves to be displayed out in the open for all to appreciate!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They have 13 days to identify and fix everything :)

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    They have 13 days to identify and fix everything :)

Yep, and that's going to fix everything in the many thousands of units already sitting in warehouses throughout Europe.:)

The failure rate so far is something like 0.04% or is that 0.4%. Run the numbers and that is amazing for a first batch run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement