Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

CombatCow wrote: »
    Iv asked amazon about the packaging for the ps4:

Hello,

From your email, I understand that you want to know the dimension of PS4 packaging once it is shipped.

To properly check on the size of the item during delivery, we’ll need to carry out a physical check of the item in our Fulfilment Centre.

I’ve requested that someone from our Fulfilment Team checks our inventory of PS4 and advise them to provide us with information regarding your query.

We’ll get back to you within 48 hours with an update on this. This would be the maximum time that we would ask you to wait.

I hope this helps. We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

I'll let ye know what they say when they get back to me.

Here you go guys:

Hello,

I'm writing this email in regards to an update that we received from our Fulfillment Team regarding your order ############

They've confirmed that the item "Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4)" will be packed in a box measuring 55.00 x 35.00 x 15.00 CM.

So this will even fit in ParcelMotel's Meduim sized locker which is 19 x 38 x 64cm

Happy Days :D;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ZeroBarry wrote: »
    As the OrbisOS on the PS4 is based on FreeBSD: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/FreeBSD-Linus-Orbis-OS-PlayStation-OtherOS,23254.html

I think the file system in use maybe some type of modified Z-File System or ext4: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/filesystems-zfs.html

Should be cool to see this section of the architecture in action and how reliable Sony have made it. Mark Cerny appears to know his **** so it will be interesting to see how effective his input (from a developers perspective) contributed to the execution of games on the device
    Open Source Software used in PlayStation®4

PlayStation®4 uses the open source software listed below.

base64
    BSD libc
    cairo
    CELT (Opus)
    cJSON
    cURL
    eglib
    Ethernet driver
    Expat XML Parser
    FreeBSD Kernel
    FreeBSD's fsck/newfs commands
    FreeType 2
    giflib-4.1.2
    ICU
    Jerasure version 1.2A
    jQuery
    kiconv for unicode
    libcompiler_rt
    libcxxrt
    libjpeg
    libjpeg-turbo
    libm
    libpng
    libpthread
    libunwind
    libusb FreeBSD
    libusrsctp 0.9.1
    libxml2
    Lua
    Mersenne Twister
    mmc driver & sdhci driver
    Mono class libraries
    Mono VM
    Network FreeBSD
    OpenSSL
    pixman
    Protocol Buffers
    SQLite-net
    squish
    udf2.x fs
    Webkit
    zlib
    Interesting :)

http://www.scei.co.jp/ps4-license/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Xenji wrote: »
    They are making 10 percent of them.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130904PD219.html
    The students I meant rather than the company.:)
    I don't think they were involved in the production of the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The students I meant rather than the company.:)
    I don't think they were involved in the production of the xbox.

I don't believe this rumour at all. There's no proof bar the claim from some random chinese person.

It's the same as the whole "My dad works for nintendo and told me you can catch mew" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"We have removed essential components of your Japanese Imperialist Consoles of Oppression, and shipped them to the Capatalist West. ROR!"

• Advertisement

Wing126 wrote: »
    I don't believe this rumour at all. There's no proof bar the claim from some random chinese person.

It's the same as the whole "My dad works for nintendo and told me you can catch mew" thing.
    Im not sure weather to believe it myself but some consoles supposedly had their hard drives out of place though and screws missing. Others had dodgy hdmi outputs with a metal piece bent upwards.

Imo in a way it might be better if it were true as the faults will be far easier to iron out compared to say a design or materials quality issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Even if this has occurred, it has affected a very small amount, only less than 500 if we go by Amazon, Sony sold 1 million on launch day alone, so the failure percentage is miniscule.

Even if this has occurred, it has affected a very small amount, only less than 500 if we go by Amazon, Sony sold 1 million on launch day alone, so the failure percentage is miniscule.
    It will be interesting to see if it stays that way. Hopefully it will, although any number of the shipment destined for the eu could be effected also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Walked into Gamestop in Douglas Court Shopping center in Cork today.
    Their PS4 doesn't seem to be working. It's been fine for the past 4 days.
    The're using a Sony TV and the screen is blank apart from a HDMI symbol on the top left of the screen.:(

The entire thing is screwed together in a cabinet so it may have to be dismantled to look at it properly.

Cause for concern?

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    The're using a Sony TV and the screen is blank apart from a HDMI symbol on the top left of the screen.:(

The entire thing is screwed together in a cabinet so it may have to be dismantled to look at it properly.

Cause for concern?
    Did they tell you it was broken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Cause for concern?

Same thing in gamestop galway on friday :/

No. I walked in and saw a kid trying to play with it. All I could see was the screen I mentioned in my post.
    The girl working there took a look and said that it had been fine for the past 4 days.
    It's possible that someone may have moved the cabinet and loosened a connection in the back of either the TV or the console.
    I'm just guessing here. The're having similar problems in Galway aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Not if your one of the unlucky 500 or so people:pac: ps4's are hard to get as is

still its a great launch for a million units too only have that many faulty, hopefully it will be the same ratio for eu or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Cause for concern?

Is it enclosed in a cabinet? i wonder is it ever turned off at night or left on since the day it was turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Not if your one of the unlucky 500 or so people:pac: ps4's are hard to get as is

I am of the opinion that those 500 did some bad **** in a past life :p

hallo dare wrote: »
    Is it enclosed in a cabinet? i wonder is it ever turned off at night or left on since the day it was turned on.

Yeah. You'd need a screwdriver to take it apart. It's a cabinet provided by Sony. I don't know if it was turned off but I presume staff would switch it off at the end of a business day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Noticed on Gamestop Irelands facebook page other day people starting getting into a bit of a sweat over one there status updates.

Was something alone the lines of this time two weeks ps4 be onsale... If your one of the people who ordered early get in touch in store to find out how things will go down.

Anyway people where seeing this as some kinda cause for concern one or two even mentioned how they went into store and where told they no longer where guaranteed a console on launch day!

I was only in the one in Tallaght two or three weeks ago pre ordering a game and was told ya i pre ordered a machine back in mid June its all payed for now ill be grand come the day.

Any reason to be worried??

Tried get in touch today no one answering the phone!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Noticed on Gamestop Irelands facebook page other day people starting getting into a bit of a sweat over one there status updates.

Was something alone the lines of this time two weeks ps4 be onsale... If your one of the people who ordered early get in touch in store to find out how things will go down.

Anyway people where seeing this as some kinda cause for concern one or two even mentioned how they went into store and where told they no longer where guaranteed a console on launch day!

I was only in the one in Tallaght two or three weeks ago pre ordering a game and was told ya i pre ordered a machine back in mid June its all payed for now ill be grand come the day.

The guy who updates that page is very flippant and overly casual with his comments. Very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

jaffusmax wrote: »
    The guy who updates that page is very flippant and overly casual with his comments. Very unprofessional.

Ya im hoping its just badly worded or whatever cause i was only took couple weeks ok everything was fine.

Ah ill find out for sure tomorrow . Put it this way if they tell me tomorrow im not getting one on launch day after telling me i was ill go mad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Yeah. You'd need a screwdriver to take it apart. It's a cabinet provided by Sony. I don't know if it was turned off but I presume staff would switch it off at the end of a business day.

Wonder was there enough ventilation for it? Even the cabinet Sony at set up at one of the big events didnt have proper circulation leading to the supposed rlod which saves the console from wrecking itself. so maybe the same story here. There's also the hdmi "handshake" issue between the console and tv. Another possibility.

• Advertisement

hallo dare wrote: »
    Wonder was there enough ventilation for it? Even the cabinet Sony at set up at one of the big events didnt have proper circulation leading to the supposed rlod which saves the console from wrecking itself. so maybe the same story here. There's also the hdmi "handshake" issue between the console and tv. Another possibility.

That's an interesting point, now that you mention it. The console itself is covered in a clear plastic cover. I didn't touch it but I'd presume it's fairly durable to deter any would-be thieves. There is not a lot of room for the console to dissipate all that heat. When I get mine I won't have it wrapped up in a cabinet like this.

Some of the set ups my mates use. Jesus. I always tell them, "That console is gonna burn out"... Nah... Be grand.

:/ fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

That's an interesting point, now that you mention it. The console itself is covered in a clear plastic cover. I didn't touch it but I'd presume it's fairly durable to deter any would-be thieves. There is not a lot of room for the console to dissipate all that heat. When I get mine I won't have it wrapped up in a cabinet like this.

theres ventilation in the cabinet the consoles wouldnt last an hour in it if there wasnt an active vent system

NTMK wrote: »
    theres ventilation in the cabinet the consoles wouldnt last an hour in it if there wasnt an active vent system

I didn't know that. I won't be back to the shop until Wednesday but I'd be interested to see if they sorted it out. It may be no big deal.

I haven't logged onto my PS3 in about 4 years. The laser reader packed in and I didn't bother replacing it and used my Xbox 360 for gaming instead.

So when I switch on my PS4 and transfer my PS3 ID to the PS4, is it relatively painless?

I've not seen much talk about the transfer process online and I can't remember my password for the PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,883 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I know with the Xbox One, they're staggering the sales of the consoles. They had a note in the store window saying that depending on when you preordered it, you'd either get it in the first week or any week before Christmas (which means even if you preordered it two weeks ago and have it all paid off, it might be a few weeks before you get your console).

I don't know if they're doing the same for PS4s. They didn't have a similar note for PS4s anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I haven't logged onto my PS3 in about 4 years. The laser reader packed in and I didn't bother replacing it and used my Xbox 360 for gaming instead.

So when I switch on my PS4 and transfer my PS3 ID to the PS4, is it relatively painless?

I've not seen much talk about the transfer process online and I can't remember my password for the PS3?

There is no "transfer" process as such, just sign into your ps4 with the details you used for the ps3 and everything is there, you will need your password so you should try to recover it here:

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/reg/account/forgot-password!input.action?service-entity=psn

CombatCow wrote: »
    There is no "transfer" process as such, just sign into your ps4 with the details you used for the ps3 and everything is there, you will need your password so you should try to recover it here:

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/reg/account/forgot-password!input.action?service-entity=psn[/QUOTE]

Cheers for that. I thought that after 4 years my ID would have been deleted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Anyone know if there will be any new titles announced to coincide with the European launch?

• Advertisement

I think all the cards have been played at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement