Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

I'm on the BB advanced package, connected at 20MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭3206jake

padair wrote: »

Would this speed up the net ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mugs11 wrote: »
    I'm on the BB advanced package, connected at 20MB.

k. I believe that's aDSL. You could just get a better aDSL router. However, my advice would be to get a non DSL router and just bridge your current eircom box to it. Then you can re-use it regardless of ISP.

I have this and it's exceptionally good. Takes a nice customer firmware too, if you need.

Gigabit LAN
    Two USB ports [printer, external hard disk etc]
    2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi signals [mazimise your troughput]
    Private WIFI and Guest WIFI [on each of the two frequencies]
    DNLA server [miniDNLA]
    QOS

Regardless of what you get, I wouldn't pay less than €50 for a router and that really is the lowest I'd go. I'd probably set my sights on €70 to €100 for a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

This is mad
    shes using ps4 playroom showing her unboxingthe xbone
    Which company is this better for sh! T just got weird

http://www.twitch.tv/weefz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

AC4 from amazon.co.uk says dispatching now since yesterday. I thought they would send it day or two before release date.

It doesn't matter too much since I dont have PS4, but thats pretty much last game I will be getting from them. Seems like Tesco/xvision/gamestop are better options even though little bit more expensive.

Not to mention amazon wants 25 euro for 2 day delivery to ireland (for game)??

I'm surprised they don't yet have an office in Dublin and keep few most popular items there and dispatch cheap from Dublin .. Like if they know they have 10 000 preorders for COD to Ireland, why send them from UK ..

RangeR wrote: »
    k. I believe that's aDSL. You could just get a better aDSL router. However, my advice would be to get a non DSL router and just bridge your current eircom box to it. Then you can re-use it regardless of ISP.

I have this and it's exceptionally good. Takes a nice customer firmware too, if you need.

Gigabit LAN
    Two USB ports [printer, external hard disk etc]
    2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi signals [mazimise your troughput]
    Private WIFI and Guest WIFI [on each of the two frequencies]
    DNLA server [miniDNLA]
    QOS

Regardless of what you get, I wouldn't pay less than €50 for a router and that really is the lowest I'd go. I'd probably set my sights on €70 to €100 for a nice one.

Thanks RangeR. Must admit a good bit of that is going over my head so I'm not sure if some of is overkill for me (Don't have a printer/no use for one. USB port for external HD? Not sure how that works. Can't see the need for Guest WIFI tbh. And the last two points don't mean much to me! :D)

Another point - you're saying that I could use this with my current Zyxel router. Does it make a difference that the Zyxel router is disconnecting on a frequent basis? As in, would this affect me using the Asus you linked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Fair play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Can't remember who I was discussing it with before but heres a good post on Polygon and why everyone hates them :pac:

EDIT:

It stemmed partly from here

Final point about this (not wanting it to turn into a ps4 v xbox, more everyone v polygon. :P)

Thanks RangeR. Must admit a good bit of that is going over my head so I'm not sure if some of is overkill for me (Don't have a printer/no use for one. USB port for external HD? Not sure how that works. Can't see the need for Guest WIFI tbh. And the last two points don't mean much to me! :D)

Another point - you're saying that I could use this with my current Zyxel router. Does it make a difference that the Zyxel router is disconnecting on a frequent basis? As in, would this affect me using the Asus you linked to?

Your Zyxel disconnecting probably is to do with it being ****ty. However [and semi trust me on this], when you bridge it to another router [say the Asus], it will be doing no work, making the Asus do it all. It's the next best thing to replacing the Zyxel.

However, it would be key to have someone technical on board when making the change. I'd hade to see you drop €100 and not get it working.

Note : The eircom Zyxel is notoriously bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry if posted already but I just saw the site where you can make a '4 the players' pledge and add a PS symbol to an ongoing monument. You can click into the monument and find randomplayers, search people or just find yourself. It's fairly class.

http://4theplayers.eu.playstation.com/

Ugh, I hope this doesn't come across as ungrateful but I'm just the sort of guy that would spend the 100e on it and end up not getting it up and running. I appreicate your suggestion but what would be the next best router that would require minimal setup?

+1 on the Zyxel being rubbish. Don't know why it took me so long to start looking for a replacement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

198321 wrote: »
    AC4 from amazon.co.uk says dispatching now since yesterday. I thought they would send it day or two before release date.

It doesn't matter too much since I dont have PS4, but thats pretty much last game I will be getting from them. Seems like Tesco/xvision/gamestop are better options even though little bit more expensive.

Not to mention amazon wants 25 euro for 2 day delivery to ireland (for game)??

I'm surprised they don't yet have an office in Dublin and keep few most popular items there and dispatch cheap from Dublin .. Like if they know they have 10 000 preorders for COD to Ireland, why send them from UK ..

Parcel Motel.

Ugh, I hope this doesn't come across as ungrateful but I'm just the sort of guy that would spend the 100e on it and end up not getting it up and running. I appreicate your suggestion but what would be the next best router that would require minimal setup?

+1 on the Zyxel being rubbish. Don't know why it took me so long to start looking for a replacement.

Totally understand. Try this. It should work grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Xenji wrote: »
    NBA 2k14 has arrived :D Hopefully I will be able to pull myself away from Res0gun to play it.

Trust me you wont

RangeR wrote: »
    Totally understand. Try this. It should work grand.

Thanks! It doesn't matter that it says for BT Connections on it? I've been told that the ones with BT on them might be risky to buy as they might have a UK phone socket and not an Irish one and are aimed at the UK market only, and that their line voltage is different to ours (I've been told to look for one with a RJ-11 input socket).

As a side note, for what it's worth I won't be seeing eFibre for at least another 6 months. I'll probably need to upgrade then but I don't mind spending the 50e in the meantime to tide me over.

The again, when I go to this page - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8970#spec - it has RJ-11 listed in the specs...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

The again, when I go to this page - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8970#spec - it has RJ-11 listed in the specs...

RJ-11 is basically a standard telephone cable. It's the cable that plugs your router into the Eircom Master Socket wall port. It will connect your new router to the aDSL line in the wall. Absolute standard for routers.

Yep! Just making sure that router will work over here, slightly thrown off by the 'for BT connections' bit!

Yeah, ignore the BT bit. At the very least, you may have to purchase a BT to Irish [RJ11] connector. Nearly every hardware shop sells them [€2 or €3]. Or purchase one off amazon with the router.

You will only have a problem with this router, if you move to eircom eFiber. They use Vectoring in their vDSL. You will need a compatible router. However, their eFiber routers are quiet capable.

Ignore the second paragraph unless you are thinking of going eFiber [currently up to 70Mb] within 12 months.

• Advertisement

I would consider going to eFiber but I probably won't have it for 6 months. So there's not much else I can do for the time being really, is there?

I would consider going to eFiber but I probably won't have it for 6 months. So there's not much else I can do for the time being really, is there?

If you were considering a change within 6 months, my original suggestions stands. However, you will need technical help. Either from here or a friend.

Or dump the second suggestion when you go eFiber :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Has anyone got the app yet? It should be available from today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I can control the PS4 UI with my 7 year old Sony Bravia remote..completely useless for me but still cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Oat23 wrote: »
    I can control the PS4 UI with my 7 year old Sony Bravia remote..completely useless for me but still cool :D

I'm guessing you didn't have a PS3 slim, the fat PS3s didn't have this feature HDMI CEC but the slims and PS4 do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So my ac 4 order is still at dispatching soon stage :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

Anyone got any suggestions?

I've used http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1421664/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK+ROUTER+.hmm and it has worked great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So my ac 4 order is still at dispatching soon stage :-/

Got my copy today as part of my GS online pre-order. First time ever owning a game to console I don't have yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Got AC4 at GameStop too. I don't think they even realized it was available for sale today. :P

• Advertisement

srumball wrote: »
    Has anyone got the app yet? It should be available from today

Not until next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement