Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I have PS+ but PS4 games like contrast are coming up with a price attached. I was going to leave it and the other free game in the basket but it doesn't do that.

I could be wrong here but I don't think PS+ free games have updated for December yet. It updates sometime tomorrow if I'm remembering correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Just asking in case but if anyone gets a free trial for PS+ and they cant use it as they already have PS+ and aren't using it can you let me know. Looking for one for a friend who wont have his PS4 till January and is a new convert XB360 so he can start his PSN IGN collection. I know its a lot to ask but like I was told growing up if you dont ask you wont get. Thanks, W

If I get any with my games or console I'll send them onto you.. No use to me

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Just asking in case but if anyone gets a free trial for PS+ and they cant use it as they already have PS+ and aren't using it can you let me know. Looking for one for a friend who wont have his PS4 till January and is a new convert XB360 so he can start his PSN IGN collection. I know its a lot to ask but like I was told growing up if you dont ask you wont get. Thanks, W

If I get any with my games or console I'll send them onto you.. No use to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

So it's my first day with the PS4 here are my early thoughts.

It's pretty amazing.

The good: install times are exceptional and seem faster than my PC. COD is 17gb and took just over 1 minute from when i popped in the disk until it was ready to play.

Downloads have also improved, after the PS3's incredibly slow downloads this is very welcome. I was downloading around 4 to 5 gb's an hour. Not lighting but my connection is pretty bad. But in 8 hours (I guess as I was here for 3 hours playing and downloading in the back ground then left the house and set it to auto switch off after 5 hours) I had the software update, Resogun, Contrast, BF4 Digital edition and Warframe as well as all the disk games patched. Everything was downloaded, updated and installed. A total of 43 gb was downloaded.

Vita streaming is pretty solid, you can stream from PS4 direct to Vita or via Wi-fi. I suggest direct if you are in the same room as picture quality is crystal clear. I tried to do it away from the house via the phones hot spot but had no joy but need to try properly again on a decent external wi fi connection.

R2 is your continue button when typing, A simple thing but makes it flow much easier. When you have finished inputting your email address you hit R2 not start.

The controller is near perfect, the camera is pretty decent but still not HD quality. Voice commands work perfectly (say playstation screenshot and it snaps it for you) and it plugs into the back of the PS4 so it does not take up a USB slot. Menu's are easy to navigate but it does take a little getting used to with out the start button.

The bad: the power and eject buttons are not buttons in the normal sense and the first time i pressed the power on I expected a big whir and a blue line to light up and I got nothing. There is a special way to press it so it registers but those first few minutes when it would not power on my heart sank thinking it was a dud machine. That was pretty unpleasant so be warned.

You need the disk in your PS4 : Yip they made a big fuss over having no DRM but when I had installed all my 8 games into the library and opened up Vita streaming I thought this will be class to play away from home, I was hit with an "insert disk" message when trying to change to any other game bar the one game in the disk drive. Not a major issue as you are not really going to jump around through games too much but still it would have been nice as you can turn on and off the PS4 from the Vita so you could go on hols when they get it sorted to run over the internet.

The black shiny part is really shiny and now is covered in finger prints and dust no matter how careful I am or how much I wipe it the dust never fully comes off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Thanks for that GrumpyPants. I'm even more excited now.
    Does yours have a Made in Japan stamp?

http://gearnuke.com/is-europe-getting-made-japan-playstation-4/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

GrumpyPants

How is the browser?

Also can it play MP4 vidoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Lucreto wrote: »
    GrumpyPants

How is the browser?

Also can it play MP4 vidoes?

Browser is fine it take around 4 seconds to open a page on boards. chrome will do that in 1 - 2 seconds on the PC here now. Navigating is ok using the D-pad to hop between links rather than the left stick to move. Not Ideal but much better than what we had.

One of the best things is quitting out of things super fast, I remember hitting the store or browser by accident on the PS3 it would take ages to load then quit out of. Now hit O and it goes back instantly.

Do you know I can't figure out how to play them :o I stuck in a USB but can't find a video player or a way to access it?

@heebusjeebus Na it's a China model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

anyone else dissapointed that the browser doesnt allow you move the arrow thingy with the touchpad? its the only possible non gimmick use i can think of having the touchpad and they dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Grumpypants

I just love typing Grumpypants

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Had a feeling this was gonna happen when i pre ordered the ps4 months ago...... :pac:

Girlfriends in hospital since Monday she wont be out again till our son is born could be induced anytime between now and two weeks time.

God damn it ill be having a word with him when hes older :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"Shurrup Da, I'm busy playing the PS6"

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I received a text from gamestop about the upgrade deal with FIFA. It says that the deal is finishing on the 27th but will run until the 6th if you have a receipt so hopefully they will accept it without a receipt until wednesday.

Is the ps4 version in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Grayditch wrote: »
    "Shurrup Da, I'm busy playing the PS6"
    Fukc off son ,I'm playing your PS6 ...more likely :P

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭3206jake

brijay wrote: »
    Is the ps4 version in store?

Yes it is,got mine today,it came out the 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If i can even get a day or two with it before hes born ill be happy :P.

Ah well one way or another i wont be forgetting the time the Ps4 came out !!.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

3206jake wrote: »
    Yes it is,got mine today,it came out the 22nd

Is today the last day then to get it without the receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭3206jake

brijay wrote: »
    Is today the last day then to get it without the receipt?

I don't know,I had none anyway,seem some1 wrote in this till the 27th

Not sure if that means today or tomorrow is the last day

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

Gamestop facebook told me the trade in deal lasts until the 5th of december, and said that they hope each store isn't strict on receipts. Hopefully my local one won't need a receipt!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

MarkY91 wrote: »
    anyone else dissapointed that the browser doesnt allow you move the arrow thingy with the touchpad? its the only possible non gimmick use i can think of having the touchpad and they dont do it.

My American friends told me you could click the touchpad to enable the mouse cursor. Much like you can click R3 & L3.

I suspect they might be crack heads though, i'll find out myself tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I think you have to activate your ps4 and login to psn before games will appear free and you can add to your download list. Not 100% on that though.
    I could be wrong here but I don't think PS+ free games have updated for December yet. It updates sometime tomorrow if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks, I will see what its like Friday when I log in with the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You need the disk in your PS4 : Yip they made a big fuss over having no DRM but when I had installed all my 8 games into the library and opened up Vita streaming I thought this will be class to play away from home, I was hit with an "insert disk" message when trying to change to any other game bar the one game in the disk drive. Not a major issue as you are not really going to jump around through games too much but still it would have been nice as you can turn on and off the PS4 from the Vita so you could go on hols when they get it sorted to run over the internet

That's hardly a negative, & was never going to be any other way. Without this, you could rent all the games you wanted & install them before dropping them back, & people would buy buying a lot less games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

For Vita remote play, do I need to be in range of the PS4? Or just on WiFi of any kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Newaglish wrote: »
    For Vita remote play, do I need to be in range of the PS4? Or just on WiFi of any kind?

I believe it just has to be the same wifi network but closer to the router is better for latency

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Wifi in your home will give the best results, you can use it outside away from your ps4 too but the quality will depend on the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Had a feeling this was gonna happen when i pre ordered the ps4 months ago...... :pac:

Girlfriends in hospital since Monday she wont be out again till our son is born could be induced anytime between now and two weeks time.

Hopefully she'll be in for the full 2 weeks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Cienciano wrote: »
    Hopefully she'll be in for the full 2 weeks ;)

Remote play from the hospital :P

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

3 ways it can be done.

1st. Direct connection to PS4. Vita Connects like a controller, works Flawlessly.

2nd. Over the Same internal network. If your PS4 and Vita are connected to the same router in the same house, can be used to play games in a different room or within the routers range.

3rd. Over Wi-Fi. Your Vita Might be connected to your work network in dublin and you want to access the PS4 on your home network in Cork. Vita app sends a signal to turn on your PS4 at home and output the video to the vita. Only thing you'd need here is a Good upload speed on your PS4's network and Good download speed on your Vita's Connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Behind the scenes of the launch trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was surprised that some people do not know the console has voice commands, although limited at the moment, you can also use the inbuilt mic in your controller to use the commands also if you do not have the camera.

More commands will be coming at a later date http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/12/playstation-4-launches-with-limited-voice-command-functionality-more-to-be-added-over-time/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Xenji wrote: »
    Was surprised that some people do not know the console has voice commands, although limited at the moment, you can also use the inbuilt mic in your controller to use the commands also if you do not have the camera.

More commands will be coming at a later date http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/12/playstation-4-launches-with-limited-voice-command-functionality-more-to-be-added-over-time/

And Microsoft charge €100 extra for the same thing. Hilarious. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement