Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Invitation to the event arrived an hour ago. Not 100% sure I can make it to New York on the date though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Snowie wrote: »
    Im sorry but how many people qued up for a ps3 on day one release?

Less than 70 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Varik wrote: »
    It makes no sense to release a game on just a new console, they have limited potential sales.

There might be some extra sales for poor games on a new console as people will want to buy a game for their new console that they would not have otherwise have gotten just to have something to play

But in the case of GTA and bf then there's no way it won't be on current gen consoles.
    Exactly. Unless Sony pay game companies an incentive to release them on the PS4.
    But still, not a hope the ps3 will be redundant by the end of the year, there's a few threads on next gen consoles and most people reckon they'll wait a year after release for 2 reasons.
    First of all, there won't be many games on it. Secondly, at this stage most of people have a loads of games still to play on the PS3. And if you have playstation plus, you have a shít load! Absolutely no need to rush out and buy the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

After watching the press video again, is it possible Sony may just call the next Playstation ▵OX☐ with the 'O' symbolising Orbis? It would make sense. Nothing says gaming more than those four symbols and in the latter half of this generation Sony have really focused on the games whereas competitors have strayed off in the direction of home entertainment packages. Also, I read somewhere about the number '4' having a negative meaning in the Japanese language.

Personally, those four symbols etched across the next Playstation would look pretty awesome indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Be funny trying to phone a shop and ask if they've got any in stock. :)

"Hi, just wondering do you have the Triangle Circle X Square in stock?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I'd prefer if they called it the 'PlayStation Orbis' TBH. Nice and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

shuffles03 wrote: »
    After watching the press video again, is it possible Sony may just call the next Playstation ▵OX☐ with the 'O' symbolising Orbis? It would make sense. Nothing says gaming more than those four symbols and in the latter half of this generation Sony have really focused on the games whereas competitors have strayed off in the direction of home entertainment packages. Also, I read somewhere about the number '4' having a negative meaning in the Japanese language.

Personally, those four symbols etched across the next Playstation would look pretty awesome indeed!

Doesn't 4 translate to "die" or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Imagine how funny it'd be if this wasn't PS4 at all, just a new vita model or something :P
    Seriously though, I think the PS3 has... a year or so? In my opinion. I think the PS3 could last till the end of 2014. But that doesn't mean I'm not super jazzed for this. The interesting thing at the reveal will be if they show software and or the system itself. Uncharted 4 for launch please :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Otacon wrote: »
    I'd prefer if they called it the 'PlayStation Orbis' TBH. Nice and simple.

psorbis.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

cloud493 wrote: »
    Imagine how funny it'd be if this wasn't PS4 at all, just a new vita model or something :P
    Seriously though, I think the PS3 has... a year or so? In my opinion. I think the PS3 could last till the end of 2014. But that doesn't mean I'm not super jazzed for this. The interesting thing at the reveal will be if they show software and or the system itself. Uncharted 4 for launch please :pac:

I don't think that would be a bit funny, I'll be sick if this isn't about the PS4. The time has come now for the next generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I just hope the new PS really delivers whenever it comes out.

Siliconrepublic.com was saying that it was the arrival of the new playstation on February 20th ? I think we would be lucky to see any hardware or specs !

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I think we would be lucky to see any hardware or specs !

I think that's all we going to see. No price, no games [beyond tech demos], just approx. tech specs and maybe what the SKU(s) will come with.

The games will be announced and shown at E3 in June.

I think that's all we going to see. No price, no games [beyond tech demos], just approx. tech specs and maybe what the SKU(s) will come with.

The games will be announced and shown at E3 in June.

Yeah thats what I expect, more of a power point thing than a hardware thing.

Siliconrepublic.com still goes with the 2gb ram story. I really hope it is more substantial than that. My phone has 1gb ?? I think I would have to laugh if thats all they can come up with.

I won't be getting it any time soon, but i'm still really interested in seeing what it's like. Game reveals will probably be saved until E3 for the most part but I'd say we'll have someone like Drake being a spokesperson so show off what it can do.

Or maybe they're revealing their new waterproof Vita. :)

Yeah thats what I expect, more of a power point thing than a hardware thing.

Siliconrepublic.com still goes with the 2gb ram story. I really hope it is more substantial than that. My phone has 1gb ?? I think I would have to laugh if thats all they can come up with.

I'd say it will be 4GB GDDR5 memory. They type of ram is important too, not just the amount.

I'd say it will be 4GB GDDR5 memory. They type of ram is important too, not just the amount.

I hope so ! Its going to be on the market for 5 - 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I think they will transfer the psn accounts across to the ps4 you can bet microsoft will be so why would sony be left behind.

I hope so ! Its going to be on the market for 5 - 10 years.

Well, Last of Us, Uncharted 2/3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2/3, GoW3 etc... all look very impressive on the PS3, ands thats with just 256mb of XDR ram.

Well, Last of Us, Uncharted 2/3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2/3, GoW3 etc... all look very impressive on the PS3, ands thats with just 256mb of XDR ram.

Heavy Rain was probably the best game I played on the PS3, it was so original and the move controller worked very well. The Last of Us will be well worth the wait.

Although the PS3 is grand I would still want the next console to be more capable and hence more RAM. The only thing stopping it is the price. The PS3 is a bit awkward & limited to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well whatever about games, the small amount of RAM didn't help the PS store. It's painfully slow. They surely won't make the same mistake twice considering how digital gaming is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

When are the next gen due to actually be released even?

I'd imagine both Sony and Microsoft are being careful not to announce too early while they are still plugging their current offerings.

Any sort of demand will disappear as soon as there is confirmation on the next model like.

Nintendo didn't have to worry about that ha, the Wii had pretty much died before they announced the Wii U.

dorkacle wrote: »
    When are the next gen due to actually be released even?

I'd imagine both Sony and Microsoft are being careful not to announce too early while they are still plugging their current offerings.

Any sort of demand will disappear as soon as there is confirmation on the next model like.

Nintendo didn't have to worry about that ha, the Wii had pretty much died before they announced the Wii U.

I expect both of the new offerings will aim for a late 2013 release, preferably a global release also but that may be a bit optimistic.

tok9 wrote: »
    Well whatever about games, the small amount of RAM didn't help the PS store. It's painfully slow. They surely won't make the same mistake twice considering how digital gaming is going.

The store is a chore. Things seem a bit more logical with the re design but even with a big TV I don't see stuff that easily, its still a bit slow and the colours they use are ugly.

I know the dev kit was supposedly leaked, but do you think we'll get final specs and/or design/images leaked before the conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I expect both of the new offerings will aim for a late 2013 release, preferably a global release also but that may be a bit optimistic.

From the spec rumours there's nothing that's too off standard, the manufacturing won't be as difficult as the PS3 which I think was aiming for a worldwide release till Europe had to be dropped.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know the dev kit was supposedly leaked, but do you think we'll get final specs and/or design/images leaked before the conference?

Sony are about as good at keeping a secret as my 5 year old nephew. I'd say we'll know what type of foam packaging will come with it before the 20th.

I have signed up to the EU version.

https://eu.playstation.com/meeting2013/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Agree about the PS store. It's painfully slow navagating, and getting a game seems to take so many clicks. Lining up 3 or 4 games to download in the background takes 10 minutes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement