Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

DaLad wrote: »
    In your opinion, how?

We get better free games. Even US gamers will agree, the content we have gotten over the past 18 months has been better than what they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

In your opinion, how?

You get far better instant game collection games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

We get better free games. Even US gamers will agree, the content we have gotten over the past 18 months has been better than what they got.
    Xenji wrote: »
    You get far better instant game collection games.

Lol, that's a bit unfair on them isn't it? :p

Gaikai to launch across North America in Q3 2014 – report

Gaikai has been a bit quiet recently, but one site has reported a Q3 2014 launch for the cloud streaming service in North America. If sources are to be believed, Europe will have to wait even longer.
    It comes from Eurogamer, which claims Gaikai will hit PS4 in Q3 2014. The site says it’s heard the full service won’t hit Europe until 2015.

The site asked Sony’s Andrew House to comment on the state of Gaikai’s roll-out plans. He replied, “We’re on track to have a commercial service up and running in the US first within 2014. That remains the plan and we’re very much on track to reach that. But what’s important is to understand the full scope of what we’re trying to achieve and why we felt the Gaikai acquisition was important.

“Our goal is to be able to have a new form of game distribution streamed from the server side, initially to PS4 consoles then gradually moving that out to Vita. But eventually, the endgame is to have this available on a multitude of network-connected devices, essentially delivering a console-quality gaming experience on devices which are not innately capable of doing that.

“We think there’s a great opportunity to broaden the market, because you essentially remove the need to make the console purchase in order to have access to that experience. It may sound counter-intuitive, because, aren’t you replacing a business that is your bread and butter? But part of being an innovative company is being a pioneer in new forms of distribution of content, and we would like to be there first and take a leadership role.”

On the reported 2015 launch in Europe, House added, “I really can’t be specific on the European roll-out. It’s a brand new form of delivery. We need to prove out the technology, which we feel is good at its core, but we place – as I think is quite right – a real emphasis on delivering a quality experience for consumers. And that will be dependent to a degree on what the strength of broadband connection is going to be, and what our server deployment and infrastructure looks like.

“We’re hard at work on all of those fronts, but I’m not at a point right now where I can be specific about when our European fans are going to be able to enjoy that.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/02/gaikai-to-launch-hit-ps4-across-north-america-in-q3-2014-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

No considering the perks the US have gotten over us in the past few years like earlier release dates on consoles and games we deserve this one :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Gaikai to launch across North America in Q3 2014 – report

Gaikai has been a bit quiet recently, but one site has reported a Q3 2014 launch for the cloud streaming service in North America. If sources are to be believed, Europe will have to wait even longer.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/02/gaikai-to-launch-hit-ps4-across-north-america-in-q3-2014-report/

Can anyone explain, in laymans terms. Wtf Gaikai actually is? :P

Timmyctc wrote: »

It's a game streaming service. In theory will will be able to use it to play PS1,2 and 3 games on the PS4. You buy the games and play them through a server.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It's like imagine a normal average non gaming laptop. Plug in a games controller to it. Connect to Gaikai via the internet and play games a gaming PC could only play. It works by connecting remotely to a 'PC' that can handle the graphics and streams just the video/audio to you, and sends the signal back from your laptop to that PC so you can play on a PC from 2000 miles away. etc.

Hope that helped :P

Although it wouldn't work too good with multiplayer I'd imagine.

It's a game streaming service. In theory will will be able to use it to play PS1,2 and 3 games on the PS4. You buy the games and play them through a server.

Ah. This sounds good. So you buy them. But you can only play them while connected to the net or what?

Ah. This sounds good. So you buy them. But you can only play them while connected to the net or what?

Yeah basically. There is a service for PCs out now called On Live. With it people with PCs not powerful enough to play the latest games but have a decent bb connection can play those PC games by streaming as all the work is done on the server side. It's like playing a game by remote.

• Advertisement

Yeah basically. There is a service for PCs out now called On Live. With it people with PCs not powerful enough to play the latest games but have a decent bb connection can play those PC games by streaming as all the work is done on the server side. It's like playing a game by remote.

thats pretty cool. I can see in the early days of release, such a thing being frustrating as feck for some reason :pac: Anyways. Not something I've to worry about for a year or two anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Anyone heard of any cases of Sony cracking down for EU people having US accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Dont know from PS4 experience, but i made a US account to download the Fifa 14 demo for PS3, was out earlier on that store, and the account was deleted the next day by Sony

Dont know from PS4 experience, but i made a US account to download the Fifa 14 demo for PS3, was out earlier on that store, and the account was deleted the next day by Sony

Have had a US account for years and have never had an issue, have not heard any problems with the PS4 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Have had a US account for years and have never had an issue, have not heard any problems with the PS4 either.

Maybe the fact my address was 90210 in LA California raised a few flags :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Population of UK: 63.23 million

Population of Ireland: 4.589 million

Now this is over simplistic, but the UK and Irish market are very similar, so I'll use the population ratio (13.604271083:1) between the two countries and apply it to the No. of PS4s sold and we arrive at 18377.

Highly unscientific, but I'd bet good money on it that the real figure is somewhere around there. We'll never find out though.

I'd say it's higher as Ireland has historically had a higher per capita numbers than most other countries especially for PlayStation.

AL1276 wrote: »
    If anybody has a spare Argos code for Naas/Dublin, I'd deeply appreciate it. I have a pre order down at an Xtra Vision in Naas, but it was a late order, as I had no clue if I'd have the money a while back. It could be a long time again they get a fresh batch of PS4's in. :(

You are better off posting in this thread and looking through it, a lot of people trading reservations http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057087967

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AL1276

You are better off posting in this thread and looking through it, a lot of people trading reservations http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057087967

Cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Varik wrote: »
    I'd say it's higher as Ireland has historically had a higher per capita numbers than most other countries especially for PlayStation.

Let's make it a round 20K then! I really wish there was some company here (other than Sony) that we could email and try find out some numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Someone said to me the other night that Ireland got 10,000 PS4s total in the country. Don't know where they got the info from, think they were talking to a retailer. They seemed pretty sure anyway.

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Someone said to me the other night that Ireland got 10,000 PS4s total in the country. Don't know where they got the info from, think they were talking to a retailer. They seemed pretty sure anyway.

I would not be surprised, they only had around 1 million consoles to go around the 33 launch countries last Friday outside of the US maybe a hundred or two hundred thousand more if you go by Sony's predicted sales estimates of 3 million by years end and another 3 million by the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Feck em, they get better netflix and collectors editions a lot of the time, fair's fair :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Any mention of consoles sold in EU yet?

They flogged 1m in the US launch, wonder if EU can match that.

Have only played a few minutes of Warframe, but it got a scathing review from Eurogamer, they gave it a 4/10
    Ultimately, Warframe succeeds on only the most forgiving of criteria. It's a free-to-play shooter that does, indeed, let you shoot things for free. Beyond that, all it can really offer are technical rough edges, repetitive missions that quickly feel like a grind, character progression that fails to inspire and micro-payments that are both expensive and inessential.

If all you want is a way to run around and shoot things without troubling your wallet or imagination, that may be enough to justify the time it takes Warframe to download. It's hard, though, to shake the feeling that the only reason this game is free to play is that nobody would pay money for something so scrappy and generic.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-warframe-review

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

NotorietyH wrote: »

10k is feck all. :( I really expected more.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Any mention of consoles sold in EU yet?

They flogged 1m in the US launch, wonder if EU can match that.

In the UK they sold 250,000 consoles in 48 hours, making it the fastest selling console in UK history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Jamie OD wrote: »
    In the UK they sold 250,000 consoles in 48 hours, making it the fastest selling console in UK history.

i bought from amazon.co.uk so I guess that counts as UK sales, many of those 250,000 consoles ended up abroad ...

still great number, hope there is huge investment in development of games since it seems ps4 and xbox one are more popular then they thought

198321 wrote: »
    i bought from amazon.co.uk so I guess that counts as UK sales, many of those 250,000 consoles ended up abroad ...

still great number, hope there is huge investment in development of games since it seems ps4 and xbox one are more popular then they thought

Xbox One sold 150,000 in the first 48hrs in the UK though, even PS3 and PSP sold more than that in the UK in the same amount of time at launch.

I'l love to see the PS4 sales figures for Germany going by the youtube vids going round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The ps4 was always going to sell bucket loads with its price and brand reputation.

6 million units by march sounds fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Finally got my ps4 :)
    I'm trying to play online it's saying I must be signed in even tho I am signed in?
    Is there something I'm missing or is it down
    Iv tried battle field and cod,both unavailable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement