Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,419 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let's hope Edge have reliable sources (and TBH I'd say they're amongst the most reliable for not posting random rumour and speculation). Sounds intriguing...
    A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Let's hope Edge have reliable sources (and TBH I'd say they're amongst the most reliable for not posting random rumour and speculation). Sounds intriguing...

While I am impressed with the ability to record the previous 15 mins consistently....I don't see how it could not impact the performance?

To be honest, this is something I can't imagine myself using so I'm not overly impressed about it, rather, I'm more intrigued about the effect this will have on the rumoured specs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

While I know this is a feature many people would use regularly and praise its inclusion, sharing videos of me playing a game never struck me as appealing. So long as it doesn't negatively impact games running, I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Otacon wrote: »
    While I know this is a feature many people would use regularly and praise its inclusion, sharing videos of me playing a game never struck me as appealing. So long as it doesn't negatively impact games running, I don't mind.

That seems a bit generous, I would put it down as a waste of time. I would rather they got the two analog sticks ultra responsive, accurate and weighted (maybe a bit like the vita) than stick a sharing button on the controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Be funny trying to phone a shop and ask if they've got any in stock. :)

"Hi, just wondering do you have the Triangle Circle X Square in stock?"

Now imagine it explained in sign language.

aindriu80 wrote: »

That seems a bit generous, I would put it down as a waste of time. I would rather they got the two analog sticks ultra responsive, accurate and weighted (maybe a bit like the vita) than stick a sharing button on the controller.

The most important part of my post is "So long as it doesn't negatively impact games running, I don't mind.". If it does impact it, then they can rightly f#ck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Personally I quite like the idea of the share button. There's been many times when I've been playing a game and wished I had a capture device when something amazing happened.
    I'm assuming it'll be possible to record entire playthroughs of games pausing every 15 minutes. Not very convenient, but possible.

Also, someone said something about the name PS4 and 4 meaning die in Japanese. That's true.
    死 in the character for death and it's read as 'shi' (pronounced 'she') 四 is the character for 4 and it's also read as 'shi'.
    In Japan a lot of buildings don't have a 4th floor. And I think JAL or ANA airlines don't have a 4th row on their planes.
    However, Playstation 2 and 3 were always pronounced "tsu" and "tsuri" (two and three) in Japan, so they might still go with PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Morpork wrote: »
    Personally I quite like the idea of the share button. There's been many times when I've been playing a game and wished I had a capture device when something amazing happened.
    I'm assuming it'll be possible to record entire playthroughs of games pausing every 15 minutes. Not very convenient, but possible.

To be honest, if the facilty is there to record every 15 mins, it doesn't seem like rocket science to record from a set time and keep recording. Would be surprised if this didn't become a feature if the 15 min constant recording is true

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If there is a share button, where would they put it on the controller so you're not accidentally hitting it and freezing the game to be brought to your facebook page or some crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

From how I read that it's not about planning and recording your game play,it's about those times when something great happens with this letting you save it after it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Right. I've just had a dream about the unveiling of the Playstation 4. Gather around children and hear my tale.

The unveiling will take place on a giant block of cheese with a colosseum carved out in the centre (either the cheese I had last night with my dinner repeated on me whilst I was asleep or Sony have finally realised how to tap into the males true inner psyche).

Wait for it......

The playstation 4 will have no ports, 3 blu ray drives (although I'm not quite sure what speed they will be as the text was too far away on the imaginary television and I was too busy eating a slice of cheese), the controllers will have touch pads, will double up as boomerangs and will shoot red or blue sticks out from the top depending on what type of enemy you are fighting. It will also have a top loading tray and the discs will be enormous with velvet overtones.

They'll show is Uncharted however we won't be happy with the demo.

Have I seen the future? Possibly. Either that or my dream is a byproduct of eating cheese late at night and then falling asleep whilst reading a PS4 article on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If there is a share button, where would they put it on the controller so you're not accidentally hitting it and freezing the game to be brought to your facebook page or some crap?

in the middle, obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I was momentarily terrified that the share button was so you could tweet and share facebook statuses in-game. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I was momentarily terrified that the share button was so you could tweet and share facebook statuses in-game. :D

I'm tempted to delete your post, in case some sony exec sees it and goes "ooh, yes please".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

One thing I read was that Europe would have to wait until the new year while U.S and Japan could theoretically expect the PS4 holiday season 2013 because of complex distribution issues. I think it was in Edge.

One thing I read was that Europe would have to wait until the new year while U.S and Japan could theoretically expect the PS4 holiday season 2013 because of complex distribution issues. I think it was in Edge.

So long as any initial bugs are fixed before it comes to Europe, I'm willing to wait.

So long as any initial bugs are fixed before it comes to Europe, I'm willing to wait.

There would need a large delay between the EU and US for any changes to be seen in hardware, manufacturing is not that flexible.

I don't think they'll be over a month of a delay, I'd say a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

shuffles03 wrote: »
    A few sites are speculating that Sony will be announcing the successor to the PS3 at the press event 'Destination Playstation' on February 25.

http://www.neurope.eu/article/playstation-4-way

http://www.slashgear.com/playstation-4-release-tipped-by-sony-event-invite-01262742/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/could-sonys-playstation-4-debut-at-destination-playstation-312378

I figure it's probably a long shot but didn't they do something similar with the announcement of the Vita at a separate event? Personally, I think it would make perfect sense to get excitement going now about their new console so that when E3 rolls around they can spend the entire show promoting upcoming games.

Anything is possible, it was also stated in yesterday's Sun that Sony are going to announce the PS4 soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There's no need for speculation on this one guys, they ARE announcing it on the 20th in NYC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Priceless gif from neogaf.

i1ot2q1bfpm6z.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

its like a game of chicken....whomever moves first gives the other guy a shot of tweaking things. I think hardware wise both will be very similar....it'll come down to operating system, social features, games and what not.

as expected sony are updating the eye camera...

its like a game of chicken....whomever moves first gives the other guy a shot of tweaking things. I think hardware wise both will be very similar....it'll come down to operating system, social features, games and what not.

as expected sony are updating the eye camera...

It's too late to change any of that, the most that could be changed is the very minor stuff and how it's presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

nib95Kazps9.jpg

Oh man, this has to be one of the best threads I have ever had the privilege to read....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Isn't is becoming more common for game companies to report & have deleted on YT etc, videos showing footage of a game they've made/own?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

EnterNow wrote: »

Isn't is becoming more common for game companies to report & have deleted on YT etc, videos showing footage of a game they've made/own?
    Some do but the ps3 has had an inbuilt but pretty limited YouTube upload feature with a few games. Makes sense to build on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just had a thought, with The Last Guardian having disappeared from the radar, it's possible it may be a release title for the PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Some highlights from gaf

wink-point-kaz.gif

QS2qXCO.gif

i1ot2q1bfpm6z.gif

igKRiA2tk2giV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Is there any chance GTA 5 will be released on the ps4? Maybe bundles on launch with both?

Obviously GTA will be on the ps3/xbox360 as well.

Just wondering the way it looks like these could be out within a few months of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well it will give us more time to get 2nd jobs to afford one :p

Anyways, ball will be in MS' corner for E3, since the initial buzz of the PS4 will have simmered down a bit if they come out showing the Next Box with improved Kinect support and amazing sports channels you can access* they may as well not bother.

Talkign with a friend and we figured The Last Guardian must be a PS4 game at this stage, only reason they havent been banging on about it is due to a graphical overhaul they couldnt show until the new system is revealed. Or they are just going to go "Oh TLG....oh thats out next week.....didnt we tell you?"

*feature not available outside America....but not like they care about anyone outside of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement