Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Aiming to have every PS4 game playable on Vita, and 0 second download wait times for purchased software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

3rdDegree wrote: »
    That sounds like sales are very close.

it would be at the launch or near the launch of a console, cause you can pretty much guarantee those consoles will sell out.

But mid-life to its end, not so much, also new models of a console tend to muddle the number (stores will send back old models and buy in new models)

As for the announcements etc, I made a big post elsewhere but the big issue sticking out for me right now is this...

As a ps3 owner would you trade it in for the ps4 at launch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Well we can all breath a big sigh of relief, it's been confirmed that the PS4 WILL play used games.

Well we can all breath a big sigh of relief, it's been confirmed that the PS4 WILL play used games.

for now...

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    As a ps3 owner would you trade it in for the ps4 at launch?

They're different systems, and they're going to have different games, so if I was a consumer, I certainly wouldn't trade one in to get the other. I'd happily enjoy both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Full credit to Watch Dogs devs , no trailer crap just 2 excellent gameplay videos so far :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm not really concerned about seeing the shell of the PS4, I trust Sony with the design. We'll no doubt see it at E3. I do wish they revealed prices though.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Really, broadband in Ireland is not as bad
    as you and others make out.
    It's shocking tbf. I live just outside of Dublin and get a tad less than 2MB and cannot get UPC
    iMuse wrote: »
    Running on PC though, confirmed by Ubisoft.

PC with similar settings to that of the PS4 according to the post show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

they didnt show us a picture of it, read a lot of moaning on facebook that people didnt get to see a product but sure why would they? :confused:

What give all the best details out this early speculation is rife on you tube that's a good thing. E3's in june i think there going to wait till then in order to steel the show and why not bye then your gonna have GTA5 and good knwos what else its a brill idea :)

Yeah, E3 will show the hardware, give us a price range and concrete launch date (though I'm 100% certain it's November 12th in North America) and show a whole HEAP of games. The same goes for Microsoft though. What a poxy year to miss E3 for me... stupid marriage

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think a lot of people on here are forgetting that this is gonna be a maximum of about 500 quid.... (we hope)

It is nowhere near what an amazing PC rig is capable of - end of - but for a console in the living room you seem to be getting a lot of bang for your buck....

I'm glad the "next gen" has finally begun....

500eu in PC gaming world is a lot of money. After this ps3 "meeting", it just became even more.
    Last week I completely disconected both consoles and put back my 6 years old gaming PC with updated almost 2 years old gpu. You know it the most ironic about this? It is still better entertainer system and more powerful gaming device then the new "revolutionary" ps4.

I was looking forward to this. I would love a proper good new gen of consoles. I am a PC gamer, but I am a huge gadget and gaming whore. After today I might just save that 500eu and put it towards rebuilding my old 6 years old PC and make a second power house gaming PC in the house for living room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

What do you think the chances are of putting in a PS3 disc into the PS4 and it giving you access to the game through Gaikai as long as you have the disc in the PS4? Maybe even with PS2 and PS1 games too. I think that's a fair way to deal with the backwards compatibility issue and it would be a big selling point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

everyone has different storys it all depends on where you place your console and on luck on what console you got

ive had 3 ps3s since launch
    all broke
    i also bought an xbox at launch
    xbox is still working perfect to this day , doesnt matter which console someone thinks is more relieable because one way or another its mostly luck if your console survives a few years , its like both companys made the consoles knowing their some form of the hardware would fail at some point

While I am on my 2nd ps3, I am on my 4th 360 since the launch.
    The 360, original at least, was a design disaster, but at least MS 'fessed up.
    Sony still don't say they have a design flaw to account for the hardware failures.
    Launch hardware is a compromise these days, like software, but you can't patch bad hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

A lot of you seem surprised it's going to be less powerful than a PC. Consoles were always less powerful than PCs and they always will be. Were you expecting some sort of top of the line gaming PC in a handy box for €400 or what?

Look at what the PS3 can manage at the moment. The PS4 is exponentially more powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone else just underwhelmed? No console, no price and no release date? We'll be lucky to see it on sale in Ireland before this time next year.

And the games they do show? A Killzone sequel, an Infamous sequel, a driving game and the most interesting thing is a Media Molucule......tech demo or proof of concept or.....something.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing. There was no console, no price and no release date. We'll be lucky to see it on sale in Ireland before this time next year.

And the games they do show? A Killzone sequel, an Infamous sequel, a driving game and the most interesting thing is a Media Molucule......tech demo or proof of concept or.....something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

danthefan wrote: »
    A lot of you seem surprised it's going to be less powerful than a PC. Consoles were always less powerful than PCs and they always will be. Were you expecting some sort of top of the line gaming PC in a handy box for €400 or what?

Look at what the PS3 can manage at the moment. The PS4 is exponentially more powerful.

No it's not.
    Power wise there's not as big a leap between PS3 & PS4 as there was from PS2 to PS3.

It used to be a case that a top of the line gaming PC was needed to out perform a PS3.
    Now most PC's can manage it.

My 2 year old laptop out-specs the PS4, which still has close to a year till launch, but by PC standards it's fallen quite a bit behind.

BizzyC wrote: »

No it's not.
    Power wise there's not as big a leap between PS3 & PS4 as there was from PS2 to PS3.

It used to be a case that a top of the line gaming PC was needed to out perform a PS3.
    Now most PC's can manage it.

My 2 year old laptop out-specs the PS4, which still has close to a year till launch, but by PC standards it's fallen quite a bit behind.

Your middle paragraph: the PS3 was launched 6 or 7 years ago and it's hardware hasn't changed since so of course. You're just stating the obvious.

Do you think your two year old laptop will be a superior gaming machine than the PS4? I doubt my laptop will be anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so they didn't announce a price for it?

Did they confirm a worldwide release this year?

so they didn't announce a price for it?

Did they confirm a worldwide release this year?

Nothing. No price, no release dates, no indication on what the thing will look like or what models will be sold.

The whole thing was a big pointless, fluffy hype show.

Nothing. No price, no release dates, no indication on what the thing will look like or what models will be sold.

The whole thing was a big pointless, fluffy hype show.

It said on the screen at the end that it was coming this year. Though the rumours have been early next year for Europe.

• Advertisement

This year just means that it'll be out in Japan this year, and maybe America. Sony aren't evening hinting at a European release date http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-sounds-uncertain-about-european-ps4-launch-timing

I think by this time next year we'll still be waiting for it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,945 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And the award for "Game that will never ever play anywhere near like how it looked in the demo" goes to... That PS Move demo thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Your middle paragraph: the PS3 was launched 6 or 7 years ago and it's hardware hasn't changed since so of course. You're just stating the obvious.

Do you think your two year old laptop will be a superior gaming machine than the PS4? I doubt my laptop will be anyway.

No, my point was that PS3 at launch was capable of superior gaming power to the average PC.
    PS4 at launch is not. You could actually build a PC around the same price that would over power it.

My laptop has dual GPU's, either one processes quicker than the PS4 total GPU power.
    It was a high end laptop 2 years ago, but CPU and GPU advances since then have it well behind by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,945 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Apart from that, some of the stuff looked impressive, but really, this whole concept of "watch your friends as they play", "get friends to give you items for games where you need help", "have your friends take over your game when you get stuck" etc just blows.

These are supposed to be video games, not Facebook apps like Farmville etc.

Games are pretty much already as social as they need to be. If I want to play a game online with a friend, I can. That's all that needs to happen. All this is going to do is greatly increase the number of "Paul unlocked 4 trophies in this game" statuses on Facebook, and then bring that to the PS4 too with numerous "Paul started playing this game", "Paul did this", "Paul did that", "Why is Paul the only person on your friends list, Penn?", "Paul sent you some ammo for this game" etc

And as for the "download while you play" and all the streaming stuff, I would genuinely love to see how that works with countryside barely-even-1mb-Eircom broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Can't believe anyone thought they'd announce the price. It just gives Microsoft a figure to beat when they unveil their console. No point giving Microsoft information that they can use to their advantage. Same with no specific release date. E3 is the time for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Killzone looked astonishing. For a moment, I thought they were just going to show CGI but when the gameplay kicked in it was absolutely awesome!!

Naughty Dog weren't there either. It makes sense I suppose. The Last Of Us hasn't been released yet so they don't want to undermine it before it's out the door plus I'd say Sony are keeping a lot of big hitters under wraps for the E3 face off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Yeah, it was underwhelming for me too. I have an Xbox at the moment but growing up I was always a PlayStation guy. I am going into this open minded with regards to which console I'll get but it's there for the taking now if MS pulls off a half decent event.

I'll sit down again later and watch the whole thing through once more. I don't know about anyone else but I spent more time watching a spinning blue circle whizz around the screen then actual footage last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, let's look at the whole situation with clear mind and no fanboism.

Sony announced hardware last nigh, which is already out dated.

It is going to be released only in one years time, which will add more age to technology.

That hardware has to survive in the market at least 8 years after release.

All this makes a very sad future for a console. And we don't even need to show PC to make it obvious. For example we are getting new mobile phones this year, those are quad core 1.7ghz CPU 2gb ram and 1080p phones. That's a hardware on a damn phone this year, which will be outdated next year. Ps4 is not even released with its outdated hardware! In 9 years ps4 will be slower then a toaster. Making ps3 today look like a powerhouse.

You know that nvidia and AMD is not even releasing new gen gpus this year. There are some explanations, but anyone who can do 2+2, will figure out that the reason for no new gpus this year, because PC hardware ran way to far already, if they will give new gen this year again, then ps4 and Xbox 720 will look like a joke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement