Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

My girlfriend just shook her head and laughed at me this morning when she saw me. Big heavy bags under my eyes and my hair stuck out to one side. 'Twenty nine', was all she said. 'You're twenty nine'. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I still don't believe this will hurt PC gaming. I would never play the likes of BF3 for example on a console.

Not trying to start something here, but this is the way I see it:
    -A gaming PC is an investment (an expensive one at that), but it far outlives consoles. It is costly to build.
    - A console is obviously cheaper and you're up and running straight away, but you just don't have the same feel, in my opinion.

I have never played many games on PC. Someone asked me if In was going Playstation or Xbox next generation, I told them I will be going to the PC. I can't imagine I am the only one.

shuffles03 wrote: »
    My girlfriend just shook her head and laughed at me this morning when she saw me. Big heavy bags under my eyes and my hair stuck out to one side. 'Twenty nine', was all she said. 'You're twenty nine'. :P

'They don't understand. THEY'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND!!'. (skulks in the corner and hisses at the morning sun).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Penn wrote: »
    Games are pretty much already as social as they need to be. If I want to play a game online with a friend, I can. That's all that needs to happen. All this is going to do is greatly increase the number of "Paul unlocked 4 trophies in this game" statuses on Facebook, and then bring that to the PS4 too with numerous "Paul started playing this game", "Paul did this", "Paul did that", "Why is Paul the only person on your friends list, Penn?", "Paul sent you some ammo for this game" etc

I hate this Paul guy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Apart from that, some of the stuff looked impressive, but really, this whole concept of "watch your friends as they play", "get friends to give you items for games where you need help", "have your friends take over your game when you get stuck" etc just blows.

These are supposed to be video games, not Facebook apps like Farmville etc.

Games are pretty much already as social as they need to be. If I want to play a game online with a friend, I can. That's all that needs to happen. All this is going to do is greatly increase the number of "Paul unlocked 4 trophies in this game" statuses on Facebook, and then bring that to the PS4 too with numerous "Paul started playing this game", "Paul did this", "Paul did that", "Why is Paul the only person on your friends list, Penn?", "Paul sent you some ammo for this game" etc

And as for the "download while you play" and all the streaming stuff, I would genuinely love to see how that works with countryside barely-even-1mb-Eircom broadband.

Beautiful graphics but absolutely nothing that has been announced makes me want to get one. I hate this "sending stuff to friends/helping friends" idea. Underwhelmed so far, but will definately wait for more information on games/features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Apart from that, some of the stuff looked impressive, but really, this whole concept of "watch your friends as they play", "get friends to give you items for games where you need help", "have your friends take over your game when you get stuck" etc just blows.

These are supposed to be video games, not Facebook apps like Farmville etc.

And as for the "download while you play" and all the streaming stuff, I would genuinely love to see how that works with countryside barely-even-1mb-Eircom broadband.

all that social sharing crap would be the first thing I'd turn off at startup :pac: I play games to avoid being around real people not have them watching me play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

shuffles03 wrote: »

Mine was slightly more understanding. "Well I suppose I'd stay up late for the Oscars, so this is kind of like the nerd Oscars then is it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Its weird going from reading this thread with mostly everyone not impressed with the ps4 to people on youtube who are jumping in joy and saying its amazing.

Suppose we should wait for e3 , even though e3 has been awful last couple of years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Moved to Games forum.
    Mods, please merge PS4 threads - can be annoying following two threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

COYVB wrote: »
    Specs:

Main Processor: Single-chip custom processor
    CPU: x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
    GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine
    Memory: GDDR5 8GB
    Hard Disk Drive: Built-in
    Optical Drive: (read only) BD 6xCAV, DVD 8xCAV
    I/O: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
    Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
    AV Output: HDMI, Analog-AV out, Digital Output (optical)

DualShock 4

External Dimensions Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth)
    (tentative, excludes largest projection)
    Weight Approx. 210g (tentative)
    Keys / Switches PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button,
    Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right),
    Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square),
    R1/L1/R2/L2 button, Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3
    button, Pad Button
    Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
    Motion Sensor Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, threeaxis accelerometer)
    Other Features Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker
    Ports USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
    Wireless Communication Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR
    Battery Type Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
    Voltage DC3.7V (tentative)
    Capacity 1000mAh (tentative)

PlayStation 4 Eye

External Dimension Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth)
    (tentative)
    Weight Approx. 183g (tentative)
    Video Pixel (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
    Video Frame Rate 1280x800 pixel @ 60fps
    640x400 pixel @ 120fps
    320x192 pixel @ 240fps
    Video Format RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
    Lens Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
    Capture Range 30cm~∞
    Field-of-View 85°
    Microphone 4 Channel Microphone Array
    Connection Type PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
    Cable Length Approx. 2m (tentative)

http://kotaku.com/5985814/detailed-specs-on-the-ps4s-new-controller-and-camera

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-pictures-of-the-rather-handsome-dualshock-4-controller-for-ps4

What the frack is the extension port?......2.1 Bluetooth......:confused: :rolleyes: . jaysus....you'd think 4.0 would be standard by now. And only 1000mah......:eek:

The PS3 was 950mAh.....I can buy 1800mAh batteries on Ebay :mad:
    I'll bet the new PS4 controller wont have screws to replace the battery :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,944 ✭✭✭✭Penn

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really, broadband in Ireland is not as bad as you and others make out.

Honestly? I can download a song on my phone in a 3G area faster than my Eircom Broadband can at home. With my broadband at home, I have to switch every Youtube video to the lowest quality setting possible to watch it without having to wait for it to load.

Broadband in Ireland when you're more than 2 miles outside of a town is shockingly poor. And in Ireland, a lot of people live more than 2 miles outside of a town.

I was honestly watching the thing last night thinking "I won't be able to use that", "That's never going to happen here" etc with regards all the sharing and streaming services. I can play online but it's dodgy at best with regular disconnections and lag. Streaming? Playing while the game downloads? I can't see it happening for me.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Moved to Games forum.
    Mods, please merge PS4 threads - can be annoying following two threads.

Should this thread not stay in the console section under 'Playstation' seeing as it's a console thread and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-sounds-uncertain-about-european-ps4-launch-timing

Overall I was happy with what I saw last night but I was expecting a price.

I imagine nintendo must be quite worried with the vita news which has made me very happy. Hopefully it'll get some more attention and a definite price drop now.

No Last Gaurdian makes me a sad panda :(

Yeah I don't see any reason to merge the threads at all. One thread has been going on on the Playstation forum for weeks now with the more dedicated Playstation fans speculating and looking forward to the event and then commenting throughout the stream last night. The other is a more reactive and broad view of the console itself and it's wider place in the future of gaming.

I'm around 4.5 miles from the City and have 8mb (Only get around 5-6.5).

Yeah I don't see any reason to merge the threads at all. One thread has been going on on the Playstation forum for weeks now with the more dedicated Playstation fans speculating and looking forward to the event and then commenting throughout the stream last night. The other is a more reactive and broad view of the console itself and it's wider place in the future of gaming.

Plus it makes no sense to have it under 'Games'. It's a Playstation 4 thread under the Playstation heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Its weird going from reading this thread with mostly everyone not impressed with the ps4 to people on youtube who are jumping in joy and saying its amazing.

It's not that weird, no thread about a new or existing console is complete around here without the constant drone of PC owners desperate to remind everyone that their platform choice is totally the bestest.

After that it's grumpy old man "gamers" annoyed that wildly popular things they don't care for are being put into a new machine.
    Honestly, who do Sony think they are, trying to court more than the vocal minority of the world that self identify as gamers. What monsters.

If a new hardware announcement wasn't met with these two predictable responses i'd be worried something wonderful might have happened.

But yeah, you're right.
    E3 will be the first real look people get at the PS4, this is just the warm-up and initial fanfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Was very impressed by last night. But after the last couple of disastorous E3 showings it's be hard not to be impressed. Was suprised at how much was actually revealed.

Sony seem to be taking a very similar approach with developers that MS did with the original XBox i.e. knocking on their doors and asking what they want in the console. Surely this can only be a good thing.

Hopefully they can pull off a European launch in 2013.

Still think €400 is the sweet spot. If they can hit that with the top tier Sku, I'll be interested. Anything about that and it becomes a lot more difficult to make a case for buying one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Suppose we should wait for e3 , even though e3 has been awful last couple of years

Youtube. Populated by fanbois.

Less so on here.

Broadband is awful in most of this country, if you can get 50mb or up on UPC then happy days, but I lived in a fairly new estate in Limerick , built in the last decade, and it was eircom only, "8mb" is probably less than half of that, my download speeds would average 3-400kb, "next gen broadband" my fcuking hole, was faster using my phone.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I'm around 4.5 miles from the City and have 8mb (Only get around 5-6.5).

I'm 4 miles from the nearest town and have 1mb (and only get 0.7-0.8 (and even then, for some reason it can't seem to actually download faster than 0.1mb/s))

I was expecting Watch Dogs to be a killer app but it just looks like a modern Assassin's Creed, same menu styles,same animations, meh tbh, could be great though so won't be too cynical but was pretty underwhelming.

Driveclub looked unreal but I'm generally not a fan of super realistic driving sims, I can drive my own car if I want to feel real physics, give me a new Burnout game!

I thought Watch Dogs looked pretty cool, but out of everything that was shown, I'm probably most excited for Infamous: Second Son. Glad they moved away from mostly just lightning-based powers. Would love to see some gameplay at E3, could be a top title.

I'm 4 miles from the nearest town and have 1mb (and only get 0.7-0.8 (and even then, for some reason it can't seem to actually download faster than 0.1mb/s))

Wow, that's disgraceful. My 8mb seems a lot better now.

I'm 4.5km from the exchange....I get a solid 10mb down and 1mb up.

CurrRate(kbps)
    1020 10239 :D

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Wow, that's disgraceful. My 8mb seems a lot better now.

Exactly. While I'm probably an extreme example of poor broadband, there's definitely a lot of people with the same or slightly better level of broadband in Ireland. A lot of the new PS4 features are obsolete for a lot of people unless that improves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,168 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mine was slightly more understanding. "Well I suppose I'd stay up late for the Oscars, so this is kind of like the nerd Oscars then is it?"

How will you explain E3 then? :)

I think I said it about the E3 conferences last year but the main thing that was wrong with this wasn't the content but the fact that it was pretty much an hour long conference stretched to 2.

Won't be buying on release, but never planned to. Infamous makes it a purchase at some point for me.
    Wonder when the new XBox will be announced.

And what is the deal with that sensor bar? Seems to fall somewhere between Kinect and the Eye. And seemingly all it does for the controller is add to the SixAxisness. One thing of note is that it was announced as Dualshock 4. The Dualshock 3 wasn't released until a while after the PS3.

And I get 340kBs (never was much good at measuring in bits):pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement