Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Shouldnt this thread be in the Playstation forum?

I think Sony have the right idea for this generation with the ability of remote play over the cloud. I was hoping they would go one step further and allow all games be played on a smartphone or tablet but that would obviously impact on sales of the Vita.
    The games/tech demos shown last night did not excite me but I'm hoping GTA & BF4 will be released close to the launch window. If they are then I'm getting it on day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Shouldnt this thread be in the Playstation forum?

Mods, would it be possible to get it moved back?:(

I'll give you a Mars bar???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

To make some people feel better, I get q
    100kb, and for the past week it's only properly worked after 11pm.

It was a fairly boring event, which is crazy considering it was their first public announcement of a new console. Should have been amazing.

Rule #1 of public speaking is that you are supposed to sound like you are talking to the audience but that goateed brit sounded like he was reading the news. He didn't really seem to have any interest or enthusiasm in the product.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Overall I thought it was pretty dull.

There's a couple of nice features. The Gaikai stuff is interesting, especially for trying games in the store, and the backward compatibility could be fantastic. I really like the idea of suspend/resume, I often think I'd like to switch on the xbox/ps3 for a quick 10/15 minute gaming session, but powering up and loading a game just seems like too much time and effort.

The games looked good, but not a huge leap ahead or anything. To be fair it's hard to be sure over a stream, but for most of them they seemed to have some really nice cutscenes but the gameplay itself didn't look as good. For Resistance in particular, they had a really spectacular intro scene flying through that stunning looking city, then the gameplay bits looked nowhere near as nice. Again, that could be due to the stream I was watching and I'd be happy to eat my words but it looked very like a prerender blending into real time gameplay.

I'll possibly/probably get one at some point, but for the moment there's no real wow factor that makes me want one now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It was a fairly boring event, which is crazy considering it was their first public announcement of a new console. Should have been amazing.

Rule #1 of public speaking is that you are supposed to sound like you are talking to the audience but that goateed brit sounded like he was reading the news. He didn't really seem to have any interest or enthusiasm in the product.

It was the most boring "event" ever....where were the dancing girls?, the celeb presenters?

A bunch of nerdy Silicon Valley types with the prototype costumes, casual wear. They all work jeans with a t shirt and an open blazer.

It was like watching an Intel developer forum stream, tech talk and buzz words with no real specs, no hands on, no console....it was aimed imo at the tech sector NOT the casual fan or gamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mods what are you lot at? This thread is just all over the place now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I merged it with the announcement thread, sent it back to the Playstation forum (which is where most of the 1000+ posts originated), and stickied the redirect in the Games forum (just for the next week or so).

Hopefully everyone is happy now. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

aaaaaaand, we're home..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Mr E wrote: »
    I merged it with the announcement thread, sent it back to the Playstation forum (which is where most of the 1000+ posts originated), and stickied the redirect in the Games forum (just for the next week or so).

Mars bars for everyone!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mods what are you lot at? This thread is just all over the place now.

That's what happens when two parallel discussions happen and the threads are merged. It'll settle down shortly.

Mr E wrote: »

Ahhh makes sense now. I jumped the gun and caught you in the middle of all that, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Surprising lack of a vita price drop last night. Sony :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im surprised about some of the negative comments here. they showed us quite enough amazing stuff and still have quite alot to show us. theyre keeping us all excited for E3. love the finished version of the controller :)

EDIT: who cares what the console looks like? youll get it regardless. last nights confrence wasnt a fashion show

i just cant get over this old man video. watched it live and then 3 times tis morning. mind blowing stuff!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MarkY91 wrote: »
    im surprised about some of the negative comments here. they showed us quite enough amazing stuff and still have quite alot to show us. theyre keeping us all excited for E3. love the finished version of the controller :)

i just cant get over this old man video. watched it live and then 3 times tis morning. mind blowing stuff!!!

Remember the PS3 tech demo showing your man from Spiderman in 2006?. Same thing, nothing ever looked like him in a game. It's great as a render but they can't do it in a full game world.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm still quite amazed at the anger being directed at Sony. It's quite funny seeing people seemingly foaming at the mouth over this on Twitter and the like. Sony should just stick a picture up of a washing machine and claim it's the PS4 :pac:
    shuffles03 wrote: »
    Naughty Dog weren't there either. It makes sense I suppose. The Last Of Us hasn't been released yet so they don't want to undermine it before it's out the door plus I'd say Sony are keeping a lot of big hitters under wraps for the E3 face off.

Price details aside, admittedly I was disappointed with there being no Naughty Dog presentation of some sort.

Remember the PS3 tech demo showing your man from Spiderman in 2006?. Same thing, nothing ever looked like him in a game. It's great as a render but they can't do it in a full game world.

I'd go even further back to the original Playstation. This dinosaur demo came out in the exact same way as the creepy old guy and we never got close to seeing anything like it in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

cloud493 wrote: »
    Surprising lack of a vita price drop last night. Sony :mad:

Yes, I really thought that would be part of the event, and would have highlighted the importance of the Vita in the PS ecosystem.

Once we get a price drop, I'll almost certainly pick it up. Gamestop vouchers are just waiting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i was only like 15 when ps3 came out so i didnt know of E3 and stuff. so their wont ever be graphics like that in game :(? they said in the future so maybe in 3-4 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,167 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see a Page 84 listed but I can't access it. Is it like Room 13 and the 13th floor?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Has any site done up a summary of it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

PS1 Dinosaur

Jaysus, brings back memories, the music an all. Messed with that for hours, easily entertained back then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I see a Page 84 listed but I can't access it. Is it like Room 13 and the 13th floor?

Lol at your 84 pages

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Has any site done up a summary of it yet?

Game informer did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I have no desire to buy this at all.. Hopefully the online play will be as good as Xbox though, playstation is just so dull and lifeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So all in all. What was the point of this conference? We did not found out anything new. We already knew most from leaks so far.

No price
    No release date
    Not even a picture of a fecking thing

Sony, I love you, but sometimes you are dumb as feck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We got a lengthy explanation of the console's feature set.
    A glance at the UI.
    A look at the new controller.
    A debunk of several of the common rumours and speculations.
    A detailed rundown of the online connectivity, including streaming and sharing support.
    Announcements of at least nine or ten forthcoming games, ranging from predictable first party titles to more surprising external support from Blizzard and Jonathan Blow.
    A ballpark release date of late 2013.
    An announcement before its major competitor the Nextbox, the benefits of which cannot be understated.

Does a game get announced with a firm release date and a look at the box art? No. This was the first step in a calculated hype building campaign, and served its function as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So all in all. What was the point of this conference? We did not found out anything new. We already knew most from leaks so far.

No price
    No release date
    Not even a picture of a fecking thing

Sony, I love you, but sometimes you are dumb as feck.

They told us it'll be out for Christmas, that it won't block used games.

They showed us the new controller and confirmed hardware specs.

It'll have cross chat and you can play games while they're downloading.

They showed four new playstation exclusive games and a couple of others that will be on ps4.

I don't know what people were expecting from this conference but I thought it was good. I doubt they want to give Microsoft too much information either.

Edit: Damn you jonny, got there before me

Speaking of Blizzard, I can't be the only one hugely disappointed that their big exclusive was to announce Diablo III? There's nothing about Diablo that couldn't run on the current generation of consoles and it's a game that most people have already played and become thoroughly bored of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't know what people were expecting from this conference but I thought it was good. I doubt they want to give Microsoft too much information either.

Edit: Damn you jonny, got there before me
    Everybody expected to see the box itself. We are lying if we tell ourselves that we weren't. We'd also be lying if we said that it wasn't a weird thing to do, by not showing it, and the "it's not a fashion show" comments miss the point. It was the first thing I noticed, the first thing most people noticed and the first thing brought up in the after show talking head sessions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement