Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They told us it'll be out for Christmas, that it won't block used games.

They showed us the new controller and confirmed hardware specs.

It'll have cross chat and you can play games while they're downloading.

They showed four new playstation exclusive games and a couple of others that will be on ps4.

I don't know what people were expecting from this conference but I thought it was good. I doubt they want to give Microsoft too much information either.

Edit: Damn you jonny, got there before me

1. We knew new controller with touchpad coming out. Not impressed by it at all. Harware spec? if you call: "it has a cpu, gpu, 8gb ram and a hdd" spec, then fecking hell we got a problem.
    2. Cross chat and you can download games while playing, HOLLY **** ****BALLS! REVOLUTION! I wont even say that PC can do it, but even any low spec smart phone, which has iOS or Android can do that, those are not even gaming devices...
    3. Teasers and tech demos mean **** all. I am still waiting for that Killzone, which was showed in PS3 tech demo. Surely it is still coming? or killzone 2 and killzone 3 was that..... from a tech demo?
    4. what was i expecting?

Proper spec of a console.
    PRICE.
    RELEASE DATE
    Games actually running on PS4 hardware. I am 99% sure it was prerendered and played from a PC. Like it happened before.
    A FECKING PICTURE OF DAMN MACHINE!

I will add to it. It looks like sony wants us to watch others play and stalking them, instead of playing ourselfs. Damn, i miss the time, when consoles were actually for playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

ShadowHearth what were you expecting?

Fair enough we didn't see the box but it doesn't actually matter what it looks like, we got to see what it can do.

We were given a release of Holiday 2013 confirmed.

I thought it went pretty well as far as presentations go. Only disappointment for me was the lack of the Last Gaurdian.

They cleared up a lot of the previous rumours and have set themselves up for a lot more to show at e3.

Now it's Microsofts turn and even though I've never had an xbox or have any particular interest in buying one, I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

For people wanting specs, Sony put out a press release.

As for the machine, it might be a curved black box or it might be a straight-edged black box. Going by the controller design it won't be anything special anyway.

I hope the console launches with a better set of games than was shown last night. Killzone: Mass Effect had some pretty graphics but the gameplay looked bog standard fps fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

1. We knew new controller with touchpad coming out. Not impressed by it at all. Harware spec? if you call: "it has a cpu, gpu, 8gb ram and a hdd" spec, then fecking hell we got a problem.
    2. Cross chat and you can download games while playing, HOLLY **** ****BALLS! REVOLUTION! I wont even say that PC can do it, but even any low spec smart phone, which has iOS or Android can do that, those are not even gaming devices...
    3. Teasers and tech demos mean **** all. I am still waiting for that Killzone, which was showed in PS3 tech demo. Surely it is still coming? or killzone 2 and killzone 3 was that..... from a tech demo?
    4. what was i expecting?

PRICE.
    RELEASE DATE
    Games actually running on PS4 hardware. I am 99% sure it was prerendered and played from a PC. Like it happened before.

Yeah they could have elaborated on the specs but they confirmed it's an AMD apu did they not? They might be considering richland so don't want to confirm anything.

Price? They probably don't know for definite yet either, it's still 9 months or so before release.

They gave us a period for release holiday 2013, so for Christmas at the latest.

Some games probably were being shown on ps4 hardware, they were using the ps4 controller. So you can't be 99%.

A picture of it? Yeah that would be nice but so what that they didn't.

You're acting like a spoiled child tbh, why aren't you whinging that microsoft hasn't shown you anything about the xbox 720?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

$529.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Good news >>> http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection

This one aspect could be the detriment to Microsoft if the rumours are true and their new console has to be always connected.

Yeah they could have elaborated on the specs but they confirmed it's an AMD apu did they not? They might be considering richland so don't want to confirm anything.

Price? They probably don't know for definite yet either, it's still 9 months or so before release.

They gave us a period for release holiday 2013, so for Christmas at the latest.

Some games probably were being shown on ps4 hardware, they were using the ps4 controller. So you can't be 99%.

A picture of it? Yeah that would be nice but so what that they didn't.

You're acting like a spoiled child tbh, why aren't you whinging that microsoft hasn't shown you anything about the xbox 720?

Becouse MS did not made such a big fecking deal out of it. :rolleyes:

Do you think i am Xbox fanboy or ps3 hater? I could not give a FLYING FECK on which gaming device i play as long as it gives me quality entertainment. I got all consoles and 2 gaming PCs, so i am not taking one side, just because i own one device or just a thick fanboy. If we came to this, i would LOVE for Sony to do well, because Ps1 was my favourite console and i LOVE PS vita.

What i dont like? When a conference only confirms ****, we already know. gives very basic details on console. No pictures.Few tech demos which most likely are bull**** and not even running on ps4 hardware. I love Sony playstation, but i dont like to be ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

8GB GDDR5 RAM is nice, more than the rumoured 4.
    Think the controller looks great too.
    Don't care they didn't show the box but I probably would if I'd waited up for it!
    I wouldn't say it'll be out until 2014 in Europe though and I'm not into all the social media or the move bull**** at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lack of release date is probably due to the consoles not wanting to come out at the same time. Same for pricing. The sooner it comes out the better. The first 6-12 months of a new console are crap. I also definitely won't be buying on release considering the issues with the Xbox hardware at the start of this gen.

Most titles won't be announced until we hear more from Microsoft either. E3 is where it'll get interesting.

• Advertisement

The Witcher 3...BOOM!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-confirmed-for-playstation-4-in-2014

As someone rightly posted in the comments section over at Eurogamer; Microsoft better be creating some first party studios. Sony's got everyone on board this train!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

tok9 wrote: »
    We were given a release of Holiday 2013 confirmed.

Holiday is an American term, only Japan and the US are getting this console this year. They didn't say all territories. If the PS4 is released in Europe in 2013 I will buy everyone here their pre-order consoles.

We will get the PS4 in 2014, end of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually the noteworthy announcement was that you can play a game while it downloads, which the vast majority of PC and smartphone games do not offer.

Again, I think it is unreasonable to expect a concrete price and design a whole eight-nine months before launch. The Wii, for example, was announced with only a look at the controller. The reason some things were leaked is because games journalists were consumed trying to discover any smidgen of information about the console, which TBH grew tiresome. It's in Sony's interests to dripfeed information to consistently retain interest in their product in the lead-up to launch, with a lot of details understandably being held back until E3 when the console manufacturers rely on media coverage - of course it's in Sony's interests to steal some of Microsoft's thunder when they announce their next-gen console. The conference was pretty dull, but most press conferences are frightfully dull, and I'm kinda just glad all the idle online speculation will die down a bit now.

But then again I'm of the opinion that not showing the black box itself is not equivalent to some unforgivable gaming warcrime, so I might be in a minority on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

shuffles03 wrote: »
    The Witcher 3...BOOM!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-confirmed-for-playstation-4-in-2014

As someone rightly posted in the comments section over at Eurogamer; Microsoft better be creating some first party studios. Sony's got everyone on board this train!!!

. Be great if it does come to PS4 and the digital downloads of 1 and 2. Perfect RPG package and trilogy that Dragon Age should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I actually wasn't expecting a price. It's too early for that. I also like the look of the controller. Looks a bit more substantial than the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Becouse MS did not made such a big fecking deal out of it. :rolleyes:

Do you think i am Xbox fanboy or ps3 hater? I could not give a FLYING FECK on which gaming device i play as long as it gives me quality entertainment. I got all consoles and 2 gaming PCs, so i am not taking one side, just because i own one device or just a thick fanboy. If we came to this, i would LOVE for Sony to do well, because Ps1 was my favourite console and i LOVE PS vita.

What i dont like? When a conference only confirms ****, we already know. gives very basic details on console. No pictures.Few tech demos which most likely are bull**** and not even running on ps4 hardware. I love Sony playstation, but i dont like to be ****ed.

You weren't ****ed, why do you feel so entitled to more information? They promised a press conference, you got a press conference.

Without this conference you wouldn't have had anything confirmed and would know a lot less about the ps4.

I give up, people will complain about anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

4. what was i expecting?
    PRICE.
    RELEASE DATE

OK, firstly, we were NEVER going to get a price at this event. This is at least 9 months away from release. Think back to the every console release before this. We only ever go a price a month or two beforehand.

We were also never going to get a release date 9 months out. A release window (which we got) was the most we could hope for.

When they say a game is running on 'PS4 hardware', they mean its running on a dev kit, as that is all that exists at the moment.

Finally, why do we need to see the machine this early? When I'm playing my PS3, I spend as little time as possible looking at the console itself. I'm not sure why people are obsessing over the fact that we didn't get to see the actual box it will come in. It's the least interesting part of the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the playing as something downloads is a great idea, the game sizes will probably be huge so given our crappy broadband in this country playing them before having to wait for it to fully download will be a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well this has become more heated than an early Xbox left on for an hour. I can't help but giggle at people getting so worked up about this kind of thing.

I understand disapointment, but eh.. yeah. Some fresh air might be in order. :pac:

shuffles03 wrote: »
    The Witcher 3...BOOM!!

That is actually first proper "News" out of all of it. It was not even mentioned on conference... :rolleyes:

Witcher coming to PS4? Fantastic! If it will come on to new xbox? FANTASTIC! The more people can play Witcher games, the better. More money for CD project red? FANTASTIC!

johnny_ultimate:

The problem i see, they did all the hype and did not delivered anything. They just confirmed rumors. All that conference was worth only of a News post on playstation website. thats it.

then again, who said that Nintendo conference on Wii U was good? It was pile shiet and Nintendo stock droped like an Anvil. If what, Sony had a Chance to learn from Nintendo and do it right. What they did? Smae stupid thing.

Edit, here. this is a good video what we needed.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/v202xq/playstation-4-playstation-meeting-dos-and-don-ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

That is actually first proper "News" out of all of it. It was not even mentioned on conference... :rolleyes:

If it will come on to new xbox?

It will indeed. "released in 2014 simultaneously on all high-end platforms available"

For anyone looking to see the console:

http://s1201.beta.photobucket.com/user/shuffles03/media/PS4_zpse19e3558.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

And no, that is not a picture of my ham sandwich (runs and hides behind radiator)

Grayditch wrote: »
    Well this has become more heated than an early Xbox left on for an hour. I can't help but giggle at people getting so worked up about this kind of thing.

I understand disapointment, but eh.. yeah. Some fresh air might be in order. :pac:

Its not about being worked up. Its about calling Spade a Spade. This forum has a good majority of users, who know a good bit more then your average Joe. You know how many Joes were watching that conference and were Jizzing in pants. In reality they were being Hyped by outdated hardware, bull**** teasers and tech demos.

maximoose wrote: »
    It will indeed. "released in 2014 simultaneously on all high-end platforms available"

That is really great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

BizzyC wrote: »
    My 2 year old laptop out-specs the PS4, which still has close to a year till launch, but by PC standards it's fallen quite a bit behind.

Yes, it out specs it, but it most likely won't come close to out performing it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,549 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony were saying something about having the platform more open for indie developers. With MS abandoning XNA it might be a boon for Sony if they follow up on this.

COYVB wrote: »

I am pretty sure my 7 years old pc with 3 years old GPU ( when ps4 comes out ) wount have problems keeping up with almighty revolutionary Ps4. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

COYVB wrote: »

This is exactly what people forget when comparing consoles to PC. Console games are made exactly for the architecture that that console has. PC games are not. Just look at the PS3 and on paper it has pretty ****e specs compared to modern beefy PCs yet is able to deliver games like the Uncharted franchises. You wouldn't have a hope of running a game like that on a similarly spec'd PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I am pretty sure my 7 years old pc with 3 years old GPU ( when ps4 comes out ) wount have problems keeping up with almighty revolutionary Ps4. :pac:

Again, considering the amount the console is going to cost, what hardware were you expecting? Give some specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony were saying something about having the platform more open for indie developers. With MS abandoning XNA it might be a boon for Sony if they follow up on this.

Getting Jonathan Blow out on stage during the launch of their new console was as big a statement about where they're going in that direction as they could make.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement