Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

danthefan wrote: »
    Again, considering the amount the console is going to cost, what hardware were you expecting? Give some specs.

First lets find out how much it's going to cost: if they will make it 300eu with all stuff included, then feck me. Fair play Sony. I will just be happy to see a quite more powerful console then ps3 for a very decent price.

If it is 500eu and by the time it gets to te shop 550-600eu, then sorry. That thing is a fail box. I know way better ways to spend that sort of money.

And I already answered your question before threads were merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Getting Jonathan Blow out on stage during the launch of their new console was as big a statement about where they're going in that direction as they could make.

That is the amazing thing here. It's like MS and Sony has swapped places in the good cop, bad cop of supporting indy game developers.

To me, at this stage, I can't see MS topping Sony. They would want Half Life 2 Ep 3 and Half Life 3 as launch titles to have a chance. All MS seem to be at is dicking around with Kinect 2 and VR bull crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I know way better ways to spend that sort of money.

I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's been a gradual thing. Sony started way behind at the start of this generation but will finish it well ahead of Microsoft in terms of their indie and smaller studio support and what they offer customers.

Same here, put me down for a day 1 pre-order with the top end SKU. Sony have me sold, they didn't with the PS3 at the start but this, yes.

• Advertisement

sin0city wrote: »
    I don't.

Time to education yourself and stop being a sheep.

*not a personal insult. I mean in it a way that you don't need to fallow masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

First lets find out how much it's going to cost: if they will make it 300eu with all stuff included, then feck me. Fair play Sony. I will just be happy to see a quite more powerful console then ps3 for a very decent price.

If it is 500eu and by the time it gets to te shop 550-600eu, then sorry. That thing is a fail box. I know way better ways to spend that sort of money.

And I already answered your question before threads were merged.
    How would a computer you spent 550-600 on in 2005 be holding up today? Would it be still as relevant as the ps3 is in terms of the games you're playing without any upgrades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Holiday is an American term, only Japan and the US are getting this console this year. They didn't say all territories. If the PS4 is released in Europe in 2013 I will buy everyone here their pre-order consoles.

We will get the PS4 in 2014, end of.

Quoted this as evidence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Okay, let's look at the whole situation with clear mind and no fanboism.

Sony announced hardware last nigh, which is already out dated.

It is going to be released only in one years time, which will add more age to technology.

That hardware has to survive in the market at least 8 years after release.

All this makes a very sad future for a console. And we don't even need to show PC to make it obvious. For example we are getting new mobile phones this year, those are quad core 1.7ghz CPU 2gb ram and 1080p phones. That's a hardware on a damn phone this year, which will be outdated next year. Ps4 is not even released with its outdated hardware! In 9 years ps4 will be slower then a toaster. Making ps3 today look like a powerhouse.

You know that nvidia and AMD is not even releasing new gen gpus this year. There are some explanations, but anyone who can do 2+2, will figure out that the reason for no new gpus this year, because PC hardware ran way to far already, if they will give new gen this year again, then ps4 and Xbox 720 will look like a joke.
    What a load of nonsense. You clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about. That 1.7Ghz quad core arm processor in the phone you are talking about is nowhere near the same performance as an x86 at the same clock speed. Also, anandtech reckon that the graphics card in this is somewhere between a 7850 and a 7870 given what we've been told so far. That's fairly high end.

The lack of new graphics cards has nothing to do with them being ahead of consoles. If it was they wouldn't have released any new ones for the past few years. Amd most likely aren't releasing to focus on production for consoles and if amd aren't releasing new ones, nvidia won't.

Nobody with half a brain was expecting a console that would demolish a high end pc spec for spec because that's not realistic, this does give them a run for their money. Even by the time this gets released a computer with a 78XX gpu would be considered very good and would max out most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

*not a personal insult. I mean in it a way that you don't need to fallow masses.

For a while there I thought you were letting all this get to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I don't mean this as an insult either but based on what you've said in this thread regarding the PS4 being comparable to a modern smartphone and your rather old PC, he's not the only one who needs to educate himself.

Chinpool wrote: »
    How would a computer you spent 550-600 on in 2005 be holding up today? Would it be still as relevant as the ps3 is in terms of the games you're playing without any upgrades?

How's that launch 20gb component non Hdmi Xbox 360 going?

I won't go in to PC vs console debate here again. We had very good threads about it, with very good points from both sides.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Alright folks, let's play nice here. Some of this is drifting close to name-calling territory, and specifying 'not intended as insult' after an insult does not make it any less of an insult.

It's a new console announcement at the end of the day, nothing worth getting worked up over. I'd hope we're all mature enough to discuss this sensibly. Heated but friendly discussion is encouraged after all :)

gizmo wrote: »
    I don't mean this as an insult either but based on what you've said in this thread regarding the PS4 being comparable to a modern smartphone and your rather old PC, he's not the only one who needs to educate himself.

Mobile phone was just an example how fast technology is being upgraded. If you take it as direct comparison, then it's not my fault.

As for comparing it to old PC. I will keep that PC and will love to put an multyplatform game on if and compare to ps4. Hopefully I'll be wrong and ps4 will outperform 7 years old PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I will add to it. It looks like sony wants us to watch others play and stalking them, instead of playing ourselfs. Damn, i miss the time, when consoles were actually for playing games.

100% my thoughts on the whole thing, talk about a jack of all trades with social this and that....for a company that where touting simplicity throughout that whole conference :rolleyes:

if sony had come onto stage and just gone "heres the ps4 (insert ps4 pic) and heres the last gaurdian running on the ps4 (insert video)" i would have loved it, but no we got an hour on cloud services (which my fantastical kerry eircom will surely handle like a trooper.....) a fcuking fps some other pre rendered ****e and watchdogs which was the only decent thing in the whole conference for me, and that was running on a pc

they will have to really impress me at e3 with new ip's or il just stick with my pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

How's that launch 20gb component non Hdmi Xbox 360 going?

I won't go in to PC vs console debate here again. We had very good threads about it, with very good points from both sides.
    No idea but my launch 60gb ps3 is doing very nicely

sin0city wrote: »

I don't.

I am honestly sad to see how much thanks and support you get for that comment. It just show how little you need to make people to part 600eu on some gaming device with such a minimal information.

I am not surprised now with games like colonial marines being sold so good. Looks like gaming industry does not need even to try anymore as majority will buy any piece of **** in a nice wraping if you make enough hype.

Chinpool wrote: »
    No idea but my launch 60gb ps3 is doing very nicely
    Same as mine 60gb launch one, but two of us are not majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Graphics are one thing, gameplay is another. Even if the graphics are great the gameplay may be boring or laggy. The PlayStation 3 could have been snappier but I guess the technology wasn't around at the time. I think Sony got it right.

There are PS3 games I have that I can't progress as I can't get the controller to do the right combo for a lack of a better description. I think developers simply didn't understand the (cell) technology they were using or couldn't be arsed. The PS4 looks way simpler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I am honestly sad to see how much thanks and support you get for that comment. It just show how little you need to make people to part 600eu on some gaming device with such a minimal information.

Huh? If we're talking about minimal information the main one is that €600 number you're pulling out of the air. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed that Sony didn't release more solid information but on the same hand you can't say that people are willing to spend €600 on an idea when it's clearly not true.

• Advertisement

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Graphics are one thing, gameplay is another. Even if the graphics are great the gameplay may be boring or laggy. The PlayStation 3 could have been snappier but I guess the technology wasn't around at the time. I think Sony got it right.

There are PS3 games I have that I can't progress as I can't get the controller to do the right combo for a lack of a better description. I think developers simply didn't understand the (cell) technology they were using or couldn't be arsed. The PS4 looks way simpler.

That is one of the things next gen is doing right. By the looks of it, both consoles will have very very similar specs and architectures. Both consoles use A8 AMD CPUs. That will make porting so much easier and will shave so much more extra time from development. Sony learned its lesson. Not everything is doom and gloom.

Huh? If we're talking about minimal information the main one is that €600 number you're pulling out of the air. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed that Sony didn't release more solid information but on the same hand you can't say that people are willing to spend €600 on an idea when it's clearly not true.

My post was very clear. The answer was even clearer. Support for that answer was clear too. I don't really even see how to make it more obvious.

That is one of the things next gen is doing right. By the looks of it, both consoles will have very very similar specs and architectures. Both consoles use A8 AMD CPUs. That will make porting so much easier and will shave so much more extra time from development. Sony learned its lesson. Not everything is doom and gloom.

Both are using ATi/AMD GPUs too so they should be able to render the same effects and shaders. The main difference between them will be bandwidth and floating point calculations. Good times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I am not surprised now with games like colonial marines being sold so good. Looks like gaming industry does not need even to try anymore as majority will buy any piece of **** in a nice wraping if you make enough hype.

is it selling good? if it is i give up :( between that CoD and the rest of the unambitious loads of gaming ****e thats selling like hotcakes i really am starting to feel left out of the loop, what happened to the ps1, ps2 era where new games where just that new, not a ****ing reskin with better perks

Exactly. There is too much doom and gloom. Also I'm glad there is a choice between Microsoft and Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Barlett

Seriously who cares about the info given out last night? Sure it was hyped but that was to be expected, you should know by this stage that these events rarely live up to expectations and also most launch games are rubbish so there's no surprise in what games they displayed. The console won't be released until the end of the year and by that stage you should have enough info to make up your own mind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Same as mine 60gb launch one, but two of us are not majority.

mine is still going too thank god.

The PS3 launched in different economic times and there's absolutely no chance the PS4 will cost €599 at launch. I can't see it being much higher than €400.

Also Sony are in poor financial shape and will not want to take the huge per-console loss that they did in the early days of PS3.

So the specs are exactly in line with most peoples expectations. Anybody who was expecting it would have $800 worth of hardware inside doesnt understand the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Well I was quite impressed. I liked the look of some of the games coming but really with what looks like fairly standard PC architecture being used then really what games are being developed right now and are ready to show doesn't seem like a huge deal. There's not the same sort of development issues that the Cell caused so I'm sure that the studios out there will develop a lot of good games over the lifespan of the machine, most of which will be multi-format.

I like that the controller is being tweaked whilst retaining the basic design we're all used to. I like the idea of pausing a game, putting the machine to sleep and then picking up later. I like cross-play with the Vita, I like the idea of being able to buy something from the store and start playing within seconds. I like the planned implementation of Gaikai in terms of enhancing planned gaming and think that there's a decent solution there to the lack of backwards compatibility (which was NEVER a realistic prospect out of the box).

But then I'm also the sort of person who doesn't see why anyone over the age of 15 would give a single solitary **** what the thing looks like so manybe I'm out of sync with most gamers.

• Advertisement

There are pages and pages here on the shortcomings vs a €1,500 gaming rig but never said the shortcomings of the actual console itself as opposed to any improvements that seem to be made.

I just finish Medal of Honor Warfighter (platinum) and I didn't mind the game too much from a graphical point of view but there were some serious questions to be asked about how the actual game play. Also the lag on BF3 was enough for me to hop the controller off the T.V. at times : P

Gaming is gaming and entertainment is something you do to pass the time. The nuts and bolts really make the difference to something that is enjoyable to do as opposed to something you might enjoy watching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement