Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS3 launched in different economic times and there's absolutely no chance the PS4 will cost €599 at launch. I can't see it being much higher than €400.

Also Sony are in poor financial shape and will not want to take the huge per-console loss that they did in the early days of PS3.

So the specs are exactly in line with most peoples expectations. Anybody who was expecting it would have $800 worth of hardware inside doesnt understand the market.

Also to take into the fact of cost. 1) The custom Cell chipset for the PS3 was expensive to develop and manufacture, Sony had to try and re coup some of the R&D costs. 2) Bluray drives were not fully mainstream market wise at the time and were expensive to buy compared to today, even if you wanting one to install in a PC yourself.

The fact that Sony are now using off the shelf x86 chipssets for the CPU and GPUs should all help in keeping the costs down.

I can't see us looking at a €600 SKU unless it's one that comes bundled with a Vita.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Is it true they stated the hard drive will be built in? I'm seeing numerous reports that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Is it true they stated the hard drive will be built in? I'm seeing numerous reports that it is.

double_facepalm.jpg

unless its like a 1tb hdd, which it wont be, they cant be that stupid?

double_facepalm.jpg

unless its like a 1tb hdd, which it wont be, they cant be that stupid?

I think he means non removable or upgrade able.

Of course he knows it will be internal. He is a mod for PC upgrading after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Glad to see it will have a Blu Ray drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I am honestly sad to see how much thanks and support you get for that comment. It just show how little you need to make people to part 600eu on some gaming device with such a minimal information.

Let it go man. If you read back through the thread you'll see I don't intend to buy one at launch. I just meant I don't know what you could spend that kind of money on that you would get more enjoyment from. A high end gaming rig costs a fair bit more than that.

And don't worry, I tend not to take offence from someone who tells me I need to "education" myself.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    But then I'm also the sort of person who doesn't see why anyone over the age of 15 would give a single solitary **** what the thing looks like so manybe I'm out of sync with most gamers.

I agree i am sure the aesthetics will be fine. I assume they have cleverly held back the unit for something like E3 or other major event later in the year.

I think he means non removable or upgrade able.

Of course he knows it will be internal. He is a mod for PC upgrading after all.

yeah thats what i thought myself and its pure stupid, just make the hdd removable so that you can upgrade it if you so wish, its not a hard thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not sure why people are expecting a console to best a high end pc anyway, its not a pc nor is it trying to be. Processing power and graphics aren't the be all and end all, tbh I was more interested in the Braid teams game and the sculpting thingy than yet another super realistic racer or killzone game. Innovation is good, great graphics are good, if it gets the balance right it could be a major win for Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I just rewatched the killzone footage. Day one purchase for me(the console)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

cloud493 wrote: »

The city does look absolutely stunning I'll give it that, it did feel very on rails though especially the last part dangling off the chopper, COD-esque sillyness right there.

cloud493 wrote: »

Just hope it turns out like that.

Anyone remember the early Killzone 2 footage/gameplay on PS3. It was scaled back a bit in visual quality when it was finally released.

krudler wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people are expecting a console to best a high end pc anyway, its not a pc nor is it trying to be. Processing power and graphics aren't the be all and end all, tbh I was more interested in the Braid teams game and the sculpting thingy than yet another super realistic racer or killzone game. Innovation is good, great graphics are good, if it gets the balance right it could be a major win for Sony.

i dont think anyone really expects it to have better looking games than a pc tbh, what i did expect last night was some decent games, watchdogs is about the only one i got to see in action which is what annoyed me so much, the one thing i love about new generations is seeing some new ip's so you can imagine my disappointment when the first 2 games where killzone and infamous

KZ looks pretty cool.
    plasmid303 wrote: »
    lLXjM4V.png

Announced today at Sony's Playstation Meeting event, Killzone: Shadow Fall is a next-generation title in development for the Playstation 4 by Guerrilla Games.

Release Date: PS4 Launch

Trailer:

http://youtu.be/sXS5zYLsupw

Extended trailer + Gameplay:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=113171115535029

Hi-res pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/8492669529/in/photostream/

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif
    iSylqprP2LVet.gif
    ibkmWFX3ngHLMg.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,448 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thank god the used game markets will be untouched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have they said when killzone was set, is it a sequel with the remaining helgan living in a walled ghetto or what

now deep down was a game that really looked next gen and was actually interesting, it was all cgi though imo

ibp2LYnmQJjEkC.gif

deepdown-16-7fps-290-1iosm.gif

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Watchdogs too, kinda disappointed its next gen, but if it means it'll be the best game possible, then yay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Like what I'm seeing. Looks like a good jump up at last.

It feels like if the Microsoft of 2005 made a console for 2013, if that makes sense. Great graphics, great machine, but simple for developers and lots of great network features. Some of it looked really awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sin0city wrote: »
    Let it go man. If you read back through the thread you'll see I don't intend to buy one at launch. I just meant I don't know what you could spend that kind of money on that you would get more enjoyment from. A high end gaming rig costs a fair bit more than that.

And don't worry, I tend not to take offence from someone who tells me I need to "education" myself.

Spell checker and all that, but hey! If that makes you happy, i am happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the main thng about the conference is we got to find out and see more than was expected. I don't think many people expected so many game announcements and gameplay demos. It was like an E3 console reveal.

But it did make me decide to not stay up and watch this year's Sony E3 conference. Of course I say that now but will probably still not go to be until about 4am. :-) But not a dig at Sony, just all conferences in general since I find even after watching a conference I go off to see what exactly was announced and details from people who may understand better than I.

Varik wrote: »
    Have they said when killzone was set, is it a sequel with the remaining helgan living in a walled ghetto or what

I forget the Killzone timeline but the start of the gameplay vid said the year 2835 I think. It was 2830 something from memory.

Could have been 2883 actually. But that ballpark area anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Spell checker and all that, but hey! If that makes you happy, i am happy!

My response was a bit harsh. No hard feelings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Sidenote- Kinda disappointed that the PS4 thread is the regular games section got merged with this thread here. Since this is a pretty big announcement, I'd imagine non-Playstation players (like myself) would also have a lot to say on the subject, however wouldn't be regulars in the PS forum. Anyways, that's just my two cents. Carry on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony were saying something about having the platform more open for indie developers. With MS abandoning XNA it might be a boon for Sony if they follow up on this.
    My understanding of this is that XNA as a specific distinct technology is being replaced, but they haven't indicated that they will be abandoning indie development. With Windows and Windows Phone they are going down the route of allowing WPF apps to work with DirectX, rather than the old model of an app using either WPF or XNA exclusively.

I'm just speculating, but I'd be very surprised if something similar to this didn't make it's way to the next Xbox. In fact I'd expect the next Xbox to have some type of app store for indie developers, though I've no idea if it will be as open as other app stores or if you'll have to deal with Micosoft like you do for Xbox Live currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Did they announce a price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

now deep down was a game that really looked next gen and was actually interesting, it was all cgi though imo

they claimed it was realtime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

deathrider wrote: »
    Sidenote- Kinda disappointed that the PS4 thread is the regular games section got merged with this thread here. Since this is a pretty big announcement, I'd imagine non-Playstation players (like myself) would also have a lot to say on the subject, however wouldn't be regulars in the PS forum. Anyways, that's just my two cents. Carry on.

Come over to our side, we have cake Share buttons.
    COYVB wrote: »
    they claimed it was realtime

It looked like it was rendered in-engine but was certainly not game-play, similar to the cutscenes in Uncharted for example.

Did they announce a price?

nope. you'll likely get that at e3

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure my 7 years old pc with 3 years old GPU ( when ps4 comes out ) wount have problems keeping up with almighty revolutionary Ps4. :pac:

I'm pretty sure it won't come close to it

People seem to forget that PCs aren't dedicated gaming systems, even a gaming PC isn't actually built for gaming at component level. Consoles are. That's why their specs don't have to be anywhere near as high-end; they're not running Windows for starters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement