Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Did they announce a price?

I'd guess it'll be between €500 and €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Very unlikely. Sony desperately need this to sell, hence the off-the-shelf components - the whole point of which is to reduce the price. I doubt you will be paying more than €350-€400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

won't be that much. won't be a million miles off, but it won't break €500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭xtal191

PsG6ilt.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mobile phone was just an example how fast technology is being upgraded. If you take it as direct comparison, then it's not my fault.

As for comparing it to old PC. I will keep that PC and will love to put an multyplatform game on if and compare to ps4. Hopefully I'll be wrong and ps4 will outperform 7 years old PC.
    You said they announced hardware which is already outdated. This is simply incorrect assuming you're not comparing it to top of the line PC-based components. Even then, the architecture that's been leaked so far should still allow plenty of headroom for optimisations over such stock hardware.

Look at it like this, this machine needs to run Unreal 4 powered games at 1080p @ 30fps minimum. Back in August last year when the Geforce 670 was released, a fairly high end machine (Intel Core i7-3960X-based) could run Batman Arkham City at 1080p with everything on high at 77fps. Now compare Batman:AC to what you're seeing in the videos (which are real time) and the last thing you should be doing is seeing how "sad" the future is for consoles.

On top of all that, now that the consoles are all based on what could be considered a more PC-like architecture it should mean that the porting process should become significantly easier so even in a couple of years when the PS4/720 is hopelessly outmatched by current affordable PC hardware, PC gamers shouldn't have to suffer as much as they have in previous generations. It's pretty much win win for everyone involved so I really don't see why there's so much bloody doom and gloom being spread around.

As an aside, you're also attributing the lack of a new architecture from nVidia this year as being down to the new consoles incorrectly. Nvidia have never done this and have, since the early days of the Geforce series, cycled between new architecture and line refresh in subsequent years. I've no doubt we'll see 7xx-based cards this year which will be based on the same Kepler architecture and as such, be simply tweaked 6xx cards.
    xtal191 wrote: »
    IMAGES
    You realise there's a massive difference between these models when viewed in real-time, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i dont care what the console looks like so im fine with no showing. i was hoping for some footage of the XMB or the XMB's replacement. but oh well..bring on E3 :D

i wonder if i could still have my ps3 friends on my psn account when i sign in on ps4? because id imagine ALOT of people i know wouldnt be getting it in jan - feb 2014 and getting it for christmas 2014 instead.

why all this mentioning of pc's? comparing a 400 odd euro setup to a 1000+ setup seems so silly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Completely unsurprising given the lack of backwards compatibility for retail games.

However, with PSN purchases they have a guaranteed way of tracking what content you own so if they do launch a Gaikai-powered streaming service for older titles as rumoured, people should certainly have access to the games they own via that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

MarkY91 wrote: »
    why all this mentioning of pc's? comparing a 400 odd euro setup to a 1000+ setup seems so silly to me.

Exactly. I've been playing Final Fantasy IX lately and the game looks horrible but it's still a great game. And I remember playing s*it that looked like this so it's all gravy to me.

922299-commodore-64.jpg

Edit: California Games, C64 for anyone who remembers/cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭xtal191

shopto taking preorders, £399.85

http://www.shopto.net/ps4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

....The analogue sticks and trigger buttons apparently have an improved feel to them, and the DualShock 4 is also said to be more sensitive, thanks to a three-axis gyroscope coupled with a three-axis accelerometerr.

Awesome !! I spent a few posts trying to note the limitations in PS3 controller gameplay. A three-axis gyroscope and a three-axis accelerometer is going to be way more fun than any graphical power you can visualise.

That said I don't know if three axis is the most there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I find it interesting ,there was no mention of blocking used games.Are they still thinking about it ,or was that just a rumour.
    IT looks like a very powerful state of the art pc.
    The killzone demo,had beautiful detailed graphics,great lighting effects ,using a wide range of colours ,and special effects.IF someone can program games on a pc , it ,ll be easy to program for the ps4.
    IT looks way more powerful than a ps3, I, m very impressed ,
    its like they learned from all the mistakes of the ps3 ,
    IT was not easy to program, for cell processors, there was alot for developers to learn ,to get started.
    I,M Hope developers can use the processing power to make games with better ai, in the ps4, not just fancy graphics.
    ITS like they went to developers and said ,what do you want,
    whats the best console we can make,to push technology forward,
    for gamers and programmers.
    I think theres fantastic potential in the hardware ,
    to make all kinds of games ,
    eg imagine a fps where the ai ,levels up, reacts to your actions, learns from you,
    changes tactics depending on how good you play.
    IN many games ,on certain levels,the enemy is easily predictable,
    they just do the same thing, go to the same place each time.
    This looks like a console designed by a gamer,to be futureproof,at least for 7 years.
    eg not just like a device, look at the apps we have,
    its not like a tech gimmick, like the wi u.
    IT puts it up to microsoft ,come up with something really great .With social,video apps built in.
    ITS the best sony conference ,i,ve ever seen.
    And i presume they an add more apps ,in future if they want ,
    for video, or gaming as required.
    i was afraid they change it, i,m glad they left the basic ps3 controller layout .
    AS its a very good design.

IS there any good podcast,that explains,as to whats the technical difference between the ps3,and ps4,
    Will it be just more advanced detailed, graphics ,and social functions ,video uploading,?
    what improvements can we expect in the ps4 games in the next 2 years.?
    A developer will be easily to port a ps4 game to pc, and vice versa,
    eg more developers will work on ps4 games.
    This conference makes me very optimistic for the next generation of gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PS4 spec sheet released:

Main Processor
    Single-chip custom processor
    CPU : x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
    GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine

Memory
    GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk Drive
    Built-in

Optical Drive (read only)
    BD 6xCAV
    DVD 8xCAV

I/O
    Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
    Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
    IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
    HDMI
    Analog-AV out
    Digital Output (optical)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This may be the ramblings of an uneducated madman and likely won't make sense to anyone. However, for me one problem with the move to a more-PC based set-up is this:

On the PS2 and the PS3 there seemed to me to be a curve to the quality of games which seemed to get better as the system went on, or at least some games seemed to squeeze more out of the system as the system got older, due to them taking time to get to grips with what the machines were capable of. With a more straight-forward set-up now this should mean that developers are going to be able to fly out of the blocks with strong titles right away but as time goes on they're not going to have anywhere to go. This could (in my mind at least) lead to the console aging more quickly than the previous PlayStations.

Does any of that make sense to anyone who knows what they're talking about?

IT would be nice if it was built in to the console os, to allow dual av ,tv output, eg 2 tvs in 1 room
    eg You could play borderlands 3 ,coop, on 2 tvs in the same room, ,on 1 console ,with 2 players ,instead of split screen coop on 1 tv.

EG a different video signal on 2 tvs, from 1 console,like as if you are playing a coop fps shooter on the internet, But 2 players playing a game on 1console, with the option to provide video output to 2 tvs
    at the same time ,IN the same room.
    eg Some mw3 levels required 2 players to complete them,from 2 separate viewpoints ,in coop mode.
    eg Some games, borderlands play better with 2 players ,than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

COYVB wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it won't come close to it

People seem to forget that PCs aren't dedicated gaming systems, even a gaming PC isn't actually built for gaming at component level. Consoles are. That's why their specs don't have to be anywhere near as high-end; they're not running Windows for starters

people also seem to forget that the ps3, xbox 360 and clearly the next gen of consoles arnt built solely for the purpose of gaming either, there multi entertainment systems with a vast array of applications...much like a pc (hell the ps4 has gone down the x86 route exactly like a pc), your statement would have been correct in the ps1, ps2 era but not anymore.

Just because the system doesnt run windows doesnt mean it doesnt need an os to run all these different programs

riclad wrote: »
    I find it interesting ,there was no mention of blocking used games.Are they still thinking about it ,or was that just a rumour.

They've confirmed it'll play used games

people also seem to forget that the ps3, xbox 360 and clearly the next gen of consoles arnt built solely for the purpose of gaming either, there multi entertainment systems with a vast array of applications...much like a pc (hell the ps4 has gone down the x86 route exactly like a pc), your statement would have been correct in the ps1, ps2 era but not anymore.

Just because the system doesnt run windows doesnt mean it doesnt need an os to run all these different programs

there's a bit of a difference between the resources windows uses and the resources the os of a console uses

there's a bit of a difference between the resources windows uses and the resources the os of a console uses

of course there is they are different os's, but a ps4 will have most of the general everday functions of a pc, netflix, browser etc. and so it need to allocate resources to those programs, they arnt purely gaming dedicated machines anymore

I agree,since the ps4 is a very fast pc, I expect in the first year ,there could be games of the quality of halo4 ,at least in terms of graphics quality.
    it won,t have the steep learning curve of the cell cpu,
    Especially if they use the unreal 4 engine.
    Any good pc developer will be able to make a great ps4 game if they wish,without starting from scratch, i presume they,ll have great development tools avaidable similar to pc programming.

• Advertisement

Think of it more like the iPhone and iOS development. Unlike Android development, iOS app creators know exactly what specs the iPhone has and can tailor the development to its hardware and software. This allows for apps to perform a lot better when compared to their Android versions, as there is less need to make it compatible to a whole host of different hardware and software.

gizmo wrote: »
    Completely unsurprising given the lack of backwards compatibility for retail games.

However, with PSN purchases they have a guaranteed way of tracking what content you own so if they do launch a Gaikai-powered streaming service for older titles as rumoured, people should certainly have access to the games they own via that.

gizmo put it better than I could

of course there is they are different os's, but a ps4 will have most of the general everday functions of a pc, netflix, browser etc. and so it need to allocate resources to those programs, they arnt purely gaming dedicated machines anymore

You're comparing apples with oranges and claiming they're remotely similar. Yeah the PS4 can run these things, but they're apps to be executed when needed. A PC sitting with nothing open is doing a hell of a lot more, and gobbling more resources than a PS4 sitting with nothing open. It's the overhead that's a key factor, not things being intentionally run by the end user.

Open your web browser on your PC and look at the resources being used. They'll be far, far, far greater than the ones being used on a console for web browsing purely because of the fact that the OS is so more complex and everything has more dependencies. With a console these applications are more akin to phone apps, to use a slightly inaccurate analogy

riclad wrote: »
    IT would be nice if it was built in to the console os, to allow dual av ,tv output, eg 2 tvs in 1 room
    eg You could play borderlands 3 ,coop, on 2 tvs in the same room, ,on 1 console ,with 2 players ,instead of split screen coop on 1 tv.

That's technically possible for any 3D capable consoles

Otacon wrote: »
    Think of it more like the iPhone and iOS development. Unlike Android development, iOS app creators know exactly what specs the iPhone has and can tailor the development to its hardware and software. This allows for apps to perform a lot better when compared to their Android versions, as there is less need to make it compatible to a whole host of different hardware and software.

oh i know that the ps4 will be able to pull off nicer stuff than if it was a windows pc with the same hardware, games can be optimized for static hardware as opposed to ever changing hardware, doesnt change the fact that modern gaming console are not games dedicated, they do many different things that require resources

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Hopefully because of the essentially PC-based hardware that'll be in the machine, you console people will get better deals on games. Console games are a ridiculous price IMO.

You're comparing apples with oranges and claiming they're remotely similar. Yeah the PS4 can run these things, but they're apps to be executed when needed. A PC sitting with nothing open is doing a hell of a lot more, and gobbling more resources than a PS4 sitting with nothing open. It's the overhead that's a key factor, not things being intentionally run by the end user.

Open your web browser on your PC and look at the resources being used. They'll be far, far, far greater than the ones being used on a console for web browsing purely because of the fact that the OS is so more complex and everything has more dependencies. With a console these applications are more akin to phone apps, to use a slightly inaccurate analogy

ah but the ps4 will have a lot more stuff happening in the backround than the ps3 ever did with cloud services downloads vita streaming etc. and i guarantee you it will have multitasking capabilities which are very resource hungry

also my current pc doesnt have a massive amount of processes or services running, pretty much anything i need to run windows chrome and game.

anyway my original point wasnt that the ps4 will have an os as resource heavy as windows (it wont), it was that it is no longer dedicated to gaming alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Well even though I have fairly decent gaming PC. 8gb ram & a 6970 I still pre-ordered my PS4. I have great fun with their exclusives. Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, GOW, MGS etc.

Anything multiplat/Steam = PC

Anything exclusive PS3

Liking the new controller too.

• Advertisement

yup il be doing the same getting myself a ps4 for the exclusives, if this gen is anything to go by they will be much better on that front than m$

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement