Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

oh i know that the ps4 will be able to pull off nicer stuff than if it was a windows pc with the same hardware, games can be optimized for static hardware as opposed to ever changing hardware, doesnt change the fact that modern gaming console are not games dedicated, they do many different things that require resources

The PS4 has 16 times the RAM the PS3 has. And GDDR5 RAM too. Also, as described in the presentation, all of the cloud and sharing stuff will be handled by separate cores, so it won't impact the games too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

COYVB wrote: »
    You're comparing apples with oranges and claiming they're remotely similar. Yeah the PS4 can run these things, but they're apps to be executed when needed. A PC sitting with nothing open is doing a hell of a lot more, and gobbling more resources than a PS4 sitting with nothing open. It's the overhead that's a key factor, not things being intentionally run by the end user.

Open your web browser on your PC and look at the resources being used. They'll be far, far, far greater than the ones being used on a console for web browsing purely because of the fact that the OS is so more complex and everything has more dependencies. With a console these applications are more akin to phone apps, to use a slightly inaccurate analogy

The reason you can squeeze more out of equivalent console hardware has little to do with the extra resources being used by a PC in the background, mainly because it has to interact with the GPU etc through hardware agnostic APIs like DirectX.

The PlayStation 4 can output in 4K, but not games
    Yes, the PlayStation 4 is capable of pushing out a 4K video signal. Sony president of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida confirmed as much to Joystiq in an interview this morning, where he said that the PlayStation 4 will play video that was recorded in the super high-def resolution, but the games currently being made for it aren't in 4K.

Not that it makes much difference, at least not for a few years until 4K becomes affordable but it's good to know it's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

By the way lads. If all Stuff that you bough on PSN wont be transfered to PS4, does that mean that PS4 will start its PSN from a scratch again?!

I understand that digital ps3 games wont work, but does that mean ALL PSN content wont work?

By the way lads. If all Stuff that you bough on PSN wont be transfered to PS4, does that mean that PS4 will start its PSN from a scratch again?!

I understand that digital ps3 games wont work, but does that mean ALL PSN content wont work?

See here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Otacon wrote: »
    The PS4 has 16 times the RAM the PS3 has. And GDDR5 RAM too. Also, as described in the presentation, all of the cloud and sharing stuff will be handled by separate cores, so it won't impact the games too much.

not saying much tbh, the RAM in the ps3 was pitiful, i will say though that the 8gigs of gddr5 will help with any multitasking. Is it unified memory?

the cpu has 8 cores so if one or two of them are taken up for tasks other than gaming it will affect performance, not much mind as even on pc games arnt taking much advantage from multi core cpu's yet

See here.

Better then nothing i guess. Though i would take this and proper architecture over them going deeper in to the whole cell processor stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I wonder why they have opted for all GDDR5 over a more regular DDR3/GDDR5 split, I would have though GDDR5 was much more expensive per GB.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I wonder why they have opted for all GDDR5 over a more regular DDR3/GDDR5 split, I would have though GDDR5 was much more expensive per GB.

Aint that like unified memory? shared between GPU and CPU?

seems a bit overkill alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

ferike1 wrote: »
    Well even though I have fairly decent gaming PC. 8gb ram & a 6970 I still pre-ordered my PS4. I have great fun with their exclusives. Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, GOW, MGS etc.

Anything multiplat/Steam = PC

Anything exclusive PS3

Liking the new controller too.

Why\where did you pre-order it? And I'm not talking about the advantages of the console itself. I'd be more concerned that the company I pre-ordered from will still be around in a year. Especially if I had to put money up front!

yeah the 8 gig RAM is supposedly Video + system memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Gamestop are taking pre-orders and they are doing fine, don't expect them to go under anytime soon. I pre-ordered it because I am a big kid and am excited! Also, I'll be putting money aside til it comes out so its less of hit to the wallet when it does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

not saying much tbh, the RAM in the ps3 was pitiful, i will say though that the 8gigs of gddr5 will help with any multitasking. Is it unified memory?
    Yep, one of the speakers mentioned that the CPU and GPU will be on the same die and have unified access to memory.

So I believe, its just I was under the impression that GDDR5 chips cost substantially more that DDR3 per GB, and they were trying to keep this thing as low cost as possible.

Still since they have gone ahead with all GDDR5 it clearly doesn't have a significant impact on the cost of a PS4 unit, and must be a fair bit cheaper than I would have thought (It makes alot of sense from a performance POV).

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

So I believe, its just I was under the impression that GDDR5 chips cost substantially more that DDR3 per GB, and they were trying to keep this thing as low cost as possible.

Still since they have gone ahead with all GDDR5 it clearly doesn't have a significant impact on the cost of a PS4 unit, and must be a fair bit cheaper than I would have thought (It makes alot of sense from a performance POV).

It's a great choice.

The GDDR5 should be a huge help, read a review of AMD's latest APU's and memory speed makes a huge difference in performance.

Difference between standard 1333mhz and 2166mhz ddr3 was nearly 40% at some resolutions.

GDDR5 in PS4 should be 4000mhz ( quad data rate. ), shouldn't it?

Even a low cpu like the jaguar's should be plenty fast with that kind of speed.

stalker-chart.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This may be the ramblings of an uneducated madman and likely won't make sense to anyone. However, for me one problem with the move to a more-PC based set-up is this:

On the PS2 and the PS3 there seemed to me to be a curve to the quality of games which seemed to get better as the system went on, or at least some games seemed to squeeze more out of the system as the system got older, due to them taking time to get to grips with what the machines were capable of. With a more straight-forward set-up now this should mean that developers are going to be able to fly out of the blocks with strong titles right away but as time goes on they're not going to have anywhere to go. This could (in my mind at least) lead to the console aging more quickly than the previous PlayStations.

Does any of that make sense to anyone who knows what they're talking about?

Drivers are constantly released to improve performance on PC components and PC games ( properly supported ones) get patches with optimizations for hardware as well.

They'll still be able to get more and more out of the consoles as time goes on, it just means that the first year or so won't be barley better than the previous generation.
    The PlayStation 4 can output in 4K, but not games

Not that it makes much difference, at least not for a few years until 4K becomes affordable but it's good to know it's available.

The PS3 could do 4k still images
    The PS4 can do 4k video
    by the time we get a PS5 we might get 4k games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ferike1 wrote: »
    Gamestop are taking pre-orders and they are doing fine, don't expect them to go under anytime soon. I pre-ordered it because I am a big kid and am excited! Also, I'll be putting money aside til it comes out so its less of hit to the wallet when it does.

Did you pre order online or in store?there looking for a 20 euro deposit for to pre order online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Hopefully this hasnt been posted yet. :)

shopto are taking the piss with those prices, £48.85 for second sons.
    19% off a number we made up (£59.99)

I know they'll probably be reduce adn if you do order you'll get the lower price but still, they're pulling prices out of their arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

EDIT: already posted, mod: delete pretty please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Varik wrote: »
    The PS3 could do 4k still images
    The PS4 can do 4k video
    by the time we get a PS5 we might get 4k games.

4k TV ok but 4k games ?

I can't see too many people rushing out to get a 4k anywhere in the next 5 - 10 years except bars. You would really need to be going for 60" to notice the difference anyway. 1080p is not too shabby: P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's also capable of two simultaneous independent 1080p images

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Hopefully some of you be able to educate a layman here, while all the Gaikai stuff sounds truly next gen and legitimately interesting - how is it going to work with the average Irish (ergo poor) internet connection?

RoverZT wrote: »
    It's a great choice.

The GDDR5 should be a huge help, read a review of AMD's latest APU's and memory speed makes a huge difference in performance.

Difference between standard 1333mhz and 2166mhz ddr3 was nearly 40% at some resolutions.

stalker-chart.jpg

As well as higher clocks, GDDR5 has other advantages too like much higher bandwidth, double the IO etc. As the architecture is still a secret I have no idea how it will all tie in together as DDR3 is still the memory of choice for desktop APUs, but there would certainly seem to be alot of potential performance above and beyond what a cursory glance at the specs would suggest.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I can't see too many people rushing out to get a 4k anywhere in the next 5 - 10 years except bars. You would really need to be going for 60" to notice the difference anyway. 1080p is not too shabby: P

While considering a sitting room setting and viewing distance.

If you start with a 720p TV at 32" then for the same PPI you'd get a 48" 1080p TV, taking that to 4k means that for the same PPI you'd get a 96".

So if 1080P is not worth it on TVs smaller than 32" then 4k is not worth it on TVs smaller than 48".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Varik wrote: »
    While considering a sitting room setting and viewing distance.

If you start with a 720p TV at 32" then for the same PPI you'd get a 48" 1080p TV, taking that to 4k means that for the same PPI you'd get a 96".

So if 1080P is not worth it on TVs smaller than 32" then 4k is not worth it on TVs smaller than 48".

... so you're saying... I need a bigger house? :P

tok9 wrote: »
    ... so you're saying... I need a bigger house? :P

Or just one large room, honestly it's not like you NEED a separate bathroom.

Knock down some non-load bearing walls and you're grand.

It'll be worth it when you have your 48-96" 4K tv, after 96" we're going to need to have a look at 8K.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Whats the story if you order this via gamestop.ie? Do they charge your card €20 now and the rest when its ready to be shipped? Does it guarantee an unit reasonably close to launch day?

Also my credit card expires at the end of September would I be better off pre-ordering it with my Laser?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

RoverZT wrote: »
    It's a great choice.

stalker-chart.jpg

The big jump in performance is because the graphics chip built in to the processor is limited by the memory bandwidth of the system because it shares that system memory. The GPU in the PS5 isn't built in to the processor, it's a separate card altogether with it's only memory (still GDDR5) so the system memory being GDDR5 won't give that big a boost.

To get an idea of how the PS5 will perform you should be ignoring graphics benchmarks of the AMD APUs and instead looking at performance of the AMD 78XX graphics cards. There is no real comparison, the 78XX series will absolutely smoke the built in graphics on AMD APUs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement