Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

All this jargon just confuses me. So are ye people in the know impressed with the specs of the PS4? graphically will the leap between generations be that impressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nocoverart wrote: »
    All this jargon just confuses me. So are ye people in the know impressed with the specs of the PS4? graphically will the leap between generations be that impressive?

if your coming from the ps3 it should be quite noticeable, but you will need a 1080p tv to see it,
    i couldnt really care about the visual side tbh, i want to see games with massive scale in them, should be now possible with all the memory in these consoles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Did anyone else want to smack that irritating pretentious gobsh1te with the stupid voice as well?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

nocoverart wrote: »

It's a big jump. Graphics cards have come a long way since the PS3 was released. The card that is in the PS4 is based on a high end current gen graphics card. It's easier to develop for as well, so developers should be able to eek out more performance from it in time. For an idea of how games will look, you'll get something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwPClll3z3o

deff pedo vibe from the 2nd watchdog guy haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

moving to x86, while logical in terms of the current economic climate could imo kill the PS4. Why?....we're already seeing the comparisons to PC tech....this is the problem.

The PS4 is being viewed not as a games console but a HTPC....and people are comparing its specs in the upper end of mid range systems.

The PS3 was always viewed as a pure games console, with the CELL making it different. You've got a situation now whereby in two years the PS4 will be seen as obsolete.

This is about public perception more then specs.

It's a big jump. Graphics cards have come a long way since the PS3 was released. The card that is in the PS4 is based on a high end current gen graphics card. It's easier to develop for as well, so developers should be able to eek out more performance from it in time. For an idea of how games will look, you'll get something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwPClll3z3o

^^ a prime example of my point.....everyone is comparing PC specs like for like, this could kill Sony in 2 years :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

moving to x86, while logical in terms of the current economic climate could imo kill the PS4. Why?....we're already seeing the comparisons to PC tech....this is the problem.

The PS4 is being viewed not as a games console but a HTPC....and people are comparing its specs in the upper end of mid range systems.

The PS3 was always viewed as a pure games console, with the CELL making it different. You've got a situation now whereby in two years the PS4 will be seen as obsolete.

That logic ignores the success of the 360.

Can someone clear this up....I know its 8GB of GDDR5, but is that pre graphics RAM or system RAM?

The leaked specs said 8GB of system RAM and 2.2GB of graphics RAM. So is it 8GB GDDR5 for the entire system gpu+system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The general public know noting about the specs in a console and don't care. They just believe what the market tells them. Like they all still think the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 in graphics when it has been proven many times over in cross platform titles that the 360 versions have higher frame rates and sometimes higher draw distances. The Ati GPU in the 360 is more powerful than the nVidia GPU in the PS3.

Buuuut Sony's marketing works very well and they tell everyone the Cell puts it out there but that's only part of the story and does not relate directly into real world results.

• Advertisement

That logic ignores the success of the 360.

We were in a different time, in 2006 having 512mb of RAM was seen as a lot, high end cards had 768mb at the time....we've moved on. Its not about success of the 360 or PS4 its about future success and public perception.

Can someone clear this up....I know its 8GB of GDDR5, but is that pre graphics RAM or system RAM?

The leaked specs said 8GB of system RAM and 2.2GB of graphics RAM. So is it 8GB GDDR5 for the entire system gpu+system?

8GB GDDR5 shared overall, the way the 360 had 512Mb shared where as the PS3 had 256 and 256.

The 2.2Gb graphics RAM was a rumor and false.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The general public know noting about the specs in a console and don't care. They just believe what the market tells them. Like they all still think the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 in graphics when it has been proven many times over in cross platform titles that the 360 versions have higher frame rates and sometimes higher draw distances. The Ati GPU in the 360 is more powerful than the nVidia GPU in the PS3.

Buuuut Sony's marketing works very well and they tell everyone the Cell puts it out there but that's only part of the story and does not relate directly into real world results.

Is an element of the performance difference between the two main machines on cross platform games not down to many of these games being developed first on the 360 and then that game being then adapted for the PS3? Which is why Sony exclusives tend to be the games which have really showcased the PS3's graphical capabilities?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Is an element of the performance difference between the two main machines on cross platform games not down to many of these games being developed first on the 360 and then that game being then adapted for the PS3? Which is why Sony exclusives tend to be the games which have really showcased the PS3's graphical capabilities?

Could very well be but even releases lately have been down on performance. Dead Space 3, only out, has frame rate issues and screen tearing problems on the PS3 but runs smoothly on the 360 with next to no problems, the fact it was screen tearing issues shows they had to turn off the vertical sync to try and get higher frame rates but it still suffers with frame rates and has the tearing issue, how bad was it without this compromise has to be asked. It's their third game for the 360 and second for the PS3 so it's not really the same experience wise for the team but close.

8 gig shared is very good even by today's pc standards tbf, especially since its all gddr5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭xtal191

Did they say if the games will run at 720p or 1080p? Or if it will be 30fps or 60fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

It could help or hinder. For a start the PS4 hardware will be sold at a lower price point to the actual price that you would pay for PC equipment yourself. If you compare that with something similar to PC your going to get a good deal.

What about the three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer on the controller. Did it exist on the PS3 ? Is it not a big talking point ? I kinda think it is along with how accurate the analog sticks are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Any word yet on what sort of media it will use ? I dont think blu rays are big enough for 4k games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

dunno if this link has been posted already but im not about to sift through pages to find out,
    just came across it on gamestop i had no idea ps4 was even coming out/announced so soon until 5 mins ago...

http://www.gamestop.ie/PS4

Nodferatu wrote: »
    dunno if this link has been posted already but im not about to sift through pages to find out,
    just came across it on gamestop i had no idea ps4 was even coming out/announced so soon until 5 mins ago...

http://www.gamestop.ie/PS4

have you been on the internet over the last few days? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

.....The controller's familiar dual analog sticks have been enhanced to provide better precision.

I would like the break down with this part.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The current gen consoles were compared to PC specs too. The most important part for graphics performance is the GPU. Even if they used a newer version of the cell processor we'd still be able to make the comparison based on the GPU. The current gen were being compared to PCs when they were announced because they did the same thing, taking an existing GPU architecture and modifying it to their needs. X86 won't kill it, it will make it easier to develop for which will be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The big jump in performance is because the graphics chip built in to the processor is limited by the memory bandwidth of the system because it shares that system memory. The GPU in the PS5 isn't built in to the processor, it's a separate card altogether with it's only memory (still GDDR5) so the system memory being GDDR5 won't give that big a boost.

To get an idea of how the PS5 will perform you should be ignoring graphics benchmarks of the AMD APUs and instead looking at performance of the AMD 78XX graphics cards. There is no real comparison, the 78XX series will absolutely smoke the built in graphics on AMD APUs.

But they are using an apu in the PS4, no???

Jumboman wrote: »
    Any word yet on what sort of media it will use ? I dont think blu rays are big enough for 4k games.

It's bluray. I don't think there was any mention of 4K, I imagine they're not going with it. Getting a game to run at 4K would require some serious hardware. The PS3 despite advertising 1080p isn't really able to do it. Some games managed it but most were running at 720p or less and upscaled. The PS4 should handle 1080p easily.

But they are using an apu in the PS4, no???

They are using an APU but also a separate graphics card. The graphics chip in the APU is basically irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

They are using an APU but also a separate graphics card. The graphics chip in the APU is basically irrelevant.

I can't find anywhere saying that the gpu is a separate die? Have I missed something? And if they are separate can the apu's gpu crossfire with the 78XX gpu?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

It's bluray. I don't think there was any mention of 4K, I imagine they're not going with it. Getting a game to run at 4K would require some serious hardware. The PS3 despite advertising 1080p isn't really able to do it. Some games managed it but most were running at 720p or less and upscaled. The PS4 should handle 1080p easily.

They should be looking to use something like this a 1TB optical disc http://phys.org/news/2012-11-fujifilm-1tb-optical-disc.html

Kilzone 3 takes up 40gbs

I think blu rays will be way too small for next gen games the same way DVD wasnt big enough for 360 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

xtal191 wrote: »
    Did they say if the games will run at 720p or 1080p? Or if it will be 30fps or 60fps?

based on hardware specs it will be 1080p60 initially probably going down to 1080p30 later in the consoles life when the devs need to take shortcuts

but 1080p is a definite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The general public, dont care about tech specs,IF theres great games released it,ll be a successful console.I cant think of any ps3
    game that looked significantly better on the ps3 than the 360 console.
    I,M presuming it won,t be overpriced versus the new 360 next gen
    console.
    MOST people dont go to a phone shop,and say just give me the phone,with the fastest cpu,and largest ram chip.
    They see ads on tv,or maybe youtube demos, game x looks good.I,LL buy that.
    i always thought the ps3 ,had the potential to be More powerful ,
    but i never saw a ps3 game that proved it.
    Consoles are successful because you just buy the games,
    When buying a pc game you need to check,how much memory does it use,
    do i have the right graphics card etc
    You buy a console ,buy games for the next 5 years,
    its designed to work on any tv.
    ie consoles are consumer friendly ,easy to use.

• Advertisement

Jumboman wrote: »
    They should be looking to use something like this a 1TB optical disc http://phys.org/news/2012-11-fujifilm-1tb-optical-disc.html

Kilzone 3 takes up 40gbs

I think blu rays will be way too small for next gen games the same way DVD wasnt big enough for 360 games.

Bluray is cheap and is here now. This new technology won't be ready for two years and will likely be expensive then.
    I can't find anywhere saying that the gpu is a separate die? Have I missed something? And if they are separate can the apu's gpu crossfire with the 78XX gpu?

My bad, the CPU and GPU are on the same die. The GPU part will be more powerful than the GPU on AMD's current GPU. Basically, graphics performance wise don't look at benchmarks of their APUs but of the 78XX series.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement