Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

riclad wrote: »
    The general public, dont care about tech specs,IF theres great games released it,ll be a successful console.I cant think of any ps3
    game that looked significantly better on the ps3 than the 360 console.
    I,M presuming it won,t be overpriced versus the new 360 next gen
    console.
    MOST people dont go to a phone shop,and say just give me the phone,with the fastest cpu,and largest ram chip.
    They see ads on tv,or maybe youtube demos, game x looks good.I,LL buy that.
    i always thought the ps3 ,had the potential to be More powerful ,
    but i never saw a ps3 game that proved it.
    Consoles are successful because you just buy the games,
    When buying a pc game you need to check,how much memory does it use,
    do i have the right graphics card etc
    You buy a console ,buy games for the next 5 years,
    its designed to work on any tv.
    ie consoles are consumer friendly ,easy to use.

anyone with a half decent pc doesnt have to check system requirements, ive been gaming on my pc for 4 years and not once have i done it, no need as the gpu, cpu tech is so advanced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The general public, dont care about tech specs,IF theres great games released it,ll be a successful console.I cant think of any ps3
    game that looked significantly better on the ps3 than the 360 console.

I wish they would though not from a graphics pov but from a performance pov

when the ps4/xbox are released games will look brilliant no doubt about that but in 4-7 years when the tech is old is there a critical hardware bottleneck that will cause issues i.e skyrims performance on the ps3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

anyone with a half decent pc doesnt have to check system requirements, ive been gaming on my pc for 4 years and not once have i done it, no need as the gpu, cpu tech is so advanced

Have to agree, when I do a PC self build I tend to future proof it for a couple of years. Initial outlay may be expensive, but always worthwhile.

yeah having a 7-8 year console cycle is far too long tbh, hardware advances so quickly these days, they should go back to the old model of 5 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

NTMK wrote: »
    I wish they would though not from a graphics pov but from a performance pov

when the ps4/xbox are released games will look brilliant no doubt about that but in 4-7 years when the tech is old is there a critical hardware bottleneck that will cause issues i.e skyrims performance on the ps3

exactly!....it could very well mean either the lifecycle of the PS4 is short, 4 years....or we'll see revision 2.0 3.0 versions of the PS4 to keep pace.

• Advertisement

Gronkastic wrote: »
    Have to agree, when I do a PC self build I tend to future proof it for a couple of years. Initial outlay may be expensive, but always worthwhile.

ive had my i7 930 cpu for the last 4 years and with a bit of ocing im sure it last me another 2-3, i recently stuck a 7970 into the pc so i cant see that being obsolete for a while either.

the very first time you get a pc will be the most expensive as you need to get a monitor+case+psu+mouse and keyboard+speakers but those items will last you a long time so the next time i upgrade will be a much smaller investment, its why i love pc gaming, that and the games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The last pc i bought ,had win7,2gig ram, dual core,cpu.2.0ghz,
    i dont think it would run some of the latest pc games.I Cant remember
    what grahics card it has, I just play console games anyway.
    I think some pc games need 4gig ram ,plus to run at 60 frames per second.
    I love pcs, i,m just saying, consoles tend to be more popular for gaming ,with the general public.
    This is a ps4 forum , i presume there,s a few console fans using this forum.

IF i could afford it ,id buy a super fast gaming pc .
    All the games i like, far cry3 ,mw3, portal 2 are avaidable on consoles anyway.
    AT some point ,ill probably buy a faster motherboard, and cpu ,and build a faster pc.
    With a 1gig graphics card.
    When skyrim 3 comes out, you ,ll have the choice , buy it on ps4,
    or get the pc version.
    I don,t think you,ll be ever able to download maps,or mods free
    on the ps4.Like you can on a pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

exactly!....it could very well mean either the lifecycle of the PS4 is short, 4 years....or we'll see revision 2.0 3.0 versions of the PS4 to keep pace.

Never happen. Can you imagine. You must own PS4 2.0 or higher to play this game printed on the box. It won't/wouldn't work. Chaos for game stores all over.

im going with 5 years due to 4k tv becoming a consumer friendly goods it would be a good time to release a new console

we wont see a 7 year console gen this time (thank god)

i havent seen the trailers yet is the age of brown over?:pac:

The last pc i bought ,had win7,2gig ram, dual core,cpu.2.0ghz,
    i dont think it would run some of the latest pc games.I Cant remember
    what grahics card it has, I just play console games anyway.
    I think some pc games need 4gig ram ,plus to run at 60 frames per second.
    I love pcs, i,m just saying, consoles tend to be more popular for gaming ,with the general public.
    This is a ps4 forum , i presume there,s a few console fans using this forum.

IF i could afford it ,id buy a super fast gaming pc .
    All the games i like, far cry3 ,mw3, portal 2 are avaidable on consoles anyway.

yeah when you build your own you tend to know exactly whats in it and it works out much cheaper than buying a dell or whatever, if someone asked me what would be the best gaming setup it would be a ps4 (hopefully) and a pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I wonder when battlefield 4 comes out, will people be saying ,you need
    to get this on the pc,NOT the ps4,ie pc has faster frame rates ,more advanced graphics ,more maps ,IF you have the latest graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

ive had my i7 930 cpu for the last 4 years and with a bit of ocing im sure it last me another 2-3, i recently stuck a 7970 into the pc so i cant see that being obsolete for a while either.

the very first time you get a pc will be the most expensive as you need to get a monitor+case+psu+mouse and keyboard+speakers but those items will last you a long time so the next time i upgrade will be a much smaller investment, its why i love pc gaming, that and the games :D

My current rig has reached the end of its cycle now, of course I tweaked and upgraded graphics ect. Due a new build now and will be able to carry over some components to the new build. Being able to tailor and personalise a PC, is something consoles just don't offer. Of course I have the PS3, which always beats the PC when the buds and beers are around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This might be a really stupid question, but this is going to do both game discs and digital downloads?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

What do people think of how a headset is to be included in the PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FistKing

Was there any confirmation on whether the console would be region-locked or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

cloud493 wrote: »
    This might be a really stupid question, but this is going to do both game discs and digital downloads?

yes
    FistKing wrote: »
    Was there any confirmation on whether the console would be region-locked or not?

No one has said anything but the PS3 and the vita weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Haven't seen anything. My god I would be so pissed off if it is. Region locking is damaging to the consumer. I don't understand how companies believe there are more positives in it than negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Okay, let's look at the whole situation with clear mind and no fanboism.

Sony announced hardware last nigh, which is already out dated.

It is going to be released only in one years time, which will add more age to technology.

That hardware has to survive in the market at least 8 years after release.

All this makes a very sad future for a console. And we don't even need to show PC to make it obvious. For example we are getting new mobile phones this year, those are quad core 1.7ghz CPU 2gb ram and 1080p phones. That's a hardware on a damn phone this year, which will be outdated next year. Ps4 is not even released with its outdated hardware! In 9 years ps4 will be slower then a toaster. Making ps3 today look like a powerhouse.

You know that nvidia and AMD is not even releasing new gen gpus this year. There are some explanations, but anyone who can do 2+2, will figure out that the reason for no new gpus this year, because PC hardware ran way to far already, if they will give new gen this year again, then ps4 and Xbox 720 will look like a joke.

You're comparing apples to shoes here.

Consoles are a closed platform designed to have every last ounce of performance eeked out of them. Look at God of War 2 running on the PS2, look at the upcoming God of War Ascension. Look at Halo 4.

Those phones may be outdated on paper next year, but they're still going to be stellar devices (and i think the mobile phone market is hilarious with how frequently tech is 'outdated' - it's only outdated so quickly to sell you a new model).

But the real big picture here is clothes don't maketh the man; if you're only playing games for the shinies and not the actual games themselves, you shouldn't be entertaining console hardware at all and you should also upgrade your PC with cutting edge components for an insane amount of money every 6 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't understand how companies believe there are more positives in it than negatives

Because the positives are for them and the negatives are for everyone else.

Haven't seen anything. My god I would be so pissed off if it is. Region locking is damaging to the consumer. I don't understand how companies believe there are more positives in it than negatives
    It certainly is, I'm still pissed about the 3DS being region locked especially when you take into account that none of Nintendo's other hand have ever been region locked. Made me skip buying a 3DS entirely.

As Varik mentioned though, the PS3 and Vita weren't so hopefully the same will apply for PS4.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Because the positives are for them and the negatives are for everyone else.
    Pretty much. Isn't it simply about keeping a control on the prices? I remember reading something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

have you been on the internet over the last few days? :D

actually... no.

yeah having a 7-8 year console cycle is far too long tbh, hardware advances so quickly these days, they should go back to the old model of 5 years
    How willing are the customers to buy a new console every 5th year though? Isn't one of the main complaints from console gamers that PC gaming require frequent updating to the hardware? The statement might not be entirely true but I can see why some would like a longer life cycle. Of course that will just always result in consoles being behind PCs but anyone would have seen this happening a long time ago.

How willing are the customers to buy a new console every 5th year though? Isn't one of the main complaints from console gamers that PC gaming require frequent updating to the hardware? The statement might not be entirely true but I can see why some would like a longer life cycle. Of course that will just always result in consoles being behind PCs but anyone would have seen this happening a long time ago.

pre ps3/360 it was a regular thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

NES: 1983
    Super Nintendo: 1990
    Nintendo 64: 1996
    Gamecube: 2001
    Wii: 2006
    Wii U: 2012

Average time between release: 5.8 years
    Time: 7-6-5-5-6

Sony Playstation: 1994
    Playstation 2: 2000
    Playstation 3: 2006
    Playstation 4: 2013 (tentative)

Average time between release: 6.33 years
    Time: 6-6-6-7

Microsoft Xbox: 2001
    Xbox 360: 2005
    Xbox 720: 2013 (tentative)

Average time between release: 6 years
    Time: 4-8

Sega SG-1000: 1983
    Master System: 1985
    Mega Drive: 1988
    Saturn: 1994
    Dreamcast: 1998

Average time between release: 3.75 years
    Time: 2-3-6-4

Where is this 5-year lifecycle coming from?

NTMK wrote: »
    pre ps3/360 it was a regular thing
    True. Can't say I am against this longer life cycle but then I don't care so much about "catching up" to the PC specs as others might do. Yes better hardware will allow a more rich game experience but overall I'd say I'm very satisfied with how console games already are today. As long as a console keep having a strong software library it's ok but that's just me. I might change my opinion though if I were to play modern PC games again...dropped out of PC gaming back in 2002 and just continued with console/hanheld gaming :P

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Where is this 5-year lifecycle coming from?
    Still does make the current lifecycle longer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-not-backwards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital-games

Despit retail ps3 games not working , neither does digital games . .. Wtf

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-not-backwards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital-games

What a load of sh*t.

"But how about some good news to close? Yoshida reaffirmed that “disc-based games on PS4” will work on any other PlayStation 4. So, as first reported yesterday, PS4 will have no used games/shared games lock for retail, store-bought titles."

As if that's supposed to outweight the other major problem, give me a break. Very disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Because they were still coded to work on PS3's Cell IBM platform.

Come on now, you guys are making me think you can't reason...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement