Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

We're shifting our platform more and more to the digital side – PS4 will be similar to PS Vita in that every game will be available as a digital download, and some will also be available as a disc.

Link

So now that it is confirmed that all PS4 games will be available digitally will you stop buy disc based games? For me personally, I will stick with discs. I wouldn't trust a company to have my best interests at heart when it comes to a digital library of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Lucasarts is one of the 3rd party devs supporting ps4, for the sake of everyone everywhere please let this finally be Battlefront 3.

More than likely Star Wars 1313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Link

So now that it is confirmed that all PS4 games will be available digitally will you stop buy disc based games? For me personally, I will stick with discs. I wouldn't trust a company to have my best interests at heart when it comes to a digital library of games.

I will be honest, Sony had me by the balls with digital games. I am a pc gamer and i got a taste of steam. so why not to have same thing on your PSN platform.
    So far i got only one boxed game for ps vita and all of the rest are digital. I love it. Though after PS4 conference they quite lost me with digital versions of games.
    Sony pushing so hard digital version of games, but then it did that madness, which is: no support for your PSN stuff on ps4. I know they offer cloud services for those games, but i am lucky to have 8mbit connection where i live. they tried giving me 12mbit and line pooped itself and died. I am not even talking about people who are still on 1-2mbit connections. There are a lot of them!

So i learned that console will never be like PC. the very first game i got on my steam account is HL2. I got it about 6-7 years ago. I can still download it on any Pc and play it. Even if my hardware changed so many times! With Console we will never get that. PS4 just proved it.

In away i cant blame sony for doing it now. Its like choosing between two evils. They went for lesser one. I prefer proper platform, which is easy to develop and has future, then them going deeper in to that cell crap. Sony had to do it. Better now, then later.

Again, i am not bashing Ps and saying derp derp PC is better. Its just Sony will need to prove that all my digital stuff will be supported as long as SONY as company exists. I will try to stick with physical Copies as long as possible for consoles from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I will be honest, Sony had me by the balls with digital games. I am a pc gamer and i got a taste of steam. so why not to have same thing on your PSN platform.
    So far i got only one boxed game for ps vita and all of the rest are digital. I love it. Though after PS4 conference they quite lost me with digital versions of games.
    Sony pushing so hard digital version of games, but then it did that madness, which is: no support for your PSN stuff on ps4. I know they offer cloud services for those games, but i am lucky to have 8mbit connection where i live. they tried giving me 12mbit and line pooped itself and died. I am not even talking about people who are still on 1-2mbit connections. There are a lot of them!

So i learned that console will never be like PC. the very first game i got on my steam account is HL2. I got it about 6-7 years ago. I can still download it on any Pc and play it. Even if my hardware changed so many times! With Console we will never get that. PS4 just proved it.

In away i cant blame sony for doing it now. Its like choosing between two evils. They went for lesser one. I prefer proper platform, which is easy to develop and has future, then them going deeper in to that cell crap. Sony had to do it. Better now, then later.

Again, i am not bashing Ps and saying derp derp PC is better. Its just Sony will need to prove that all my digital stuff will be supported as long as SONY as company exists. I will try to stick with physical Copies as long as possible for consoles from now on.

But isn't it the same with your physical discs? You won't be able to play them on your PS4 either so you're in the exact same situation as not being able to play any downloaded games.

With the PS5 if there is one, I imagine it will be much more likely for them to support digital games from PS4 rather than physical PS4 games.

But isn't it the same with your physical discs? You won't be able to play them on your PS4 either so you're in the exact same situation as not being able to play any downloaded games.

With the PS5 if there is one, I imagine it will be much more likely for them to support digital games from PS4 rather than physical PS4 games.

that is true too, but i will still have my old ps3 and all the discs for it. My internet connection wont allow me streaming and if i have no internet connection i always can pop that sucker in and play.

I LOVE digital games. I havent bought non digital game in freaking ages, but i am not that pushed to go full digital with consoles just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I won't be pushed on pure digital downloads until they get the prices in order. I only buy what's discounted on PSN. There is Crysis 3 for €69.99 on PSN:eek:. It's €49.99 in most b&m shops and even cheaper on Amazon. What happen to all the non sense years ago about digital downloads being cheaper than physical copies as the shops don't have to worry about overheads such as staff wages and rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I won't be pushed on pure digital downloads until they get the prices in order. I only buy what's discounted on PSN. There is Crysis 3 for €69.99 on PSN:eek:. It's €49.99 in most b&m shops and even cheaper on Amazon. What happen to all the non sense years ago about digital downloads being cheaper than physical copies as the shops don't have to worry about overheads such as staff wages and rent?

Yeah, I don't understand why games are 70 quid to download.

I really like this guy. Finally GT dag up something good.

He has a very good point/points.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/qcv4np/playstation-4-playstation-meeting-takeaways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/qcv4np/playstation-4-playstation-meeting-takeaways
    he did make some good points about the conference esp how light on details it was. it felt like it was done just to beat ms out of the block.

MS have pushed there announcement from may to April and i expect the same thing from them and concrete details at e3

its a big game of information chicken regarding specs and release dates

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The worst offender is Nintendo, who are charging more for newly released games from the E-Shop than a physical copy, not good, not good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The worst offender is Nintendo, who are charging more for newly released games from the E-Shop than a physical copy, not good, not good at all.

At least with the PS3 I can put the downloaded game on more than one consoles, I bought Far cry 3 during the sale for €25 ish and have it going playing co-op on my 2 PS3s. Have Borderlands 1/2 that way as well, and most games where it has a good MP I'll get it digitally, unless is vastly worse than retail in which case I won't bother at all with the digital.

Anything you buy on the Wii U is stuck on that Wii U.

If Sony and the publishers want to make everyone jump on digital for PS4 then they need to push more cross-buy, from the look of the games announced the PS4 will be getting most of what the PS3 gets at first (diablo, BF4, Destiny). Buy BF4 digitally (hopefully not for an insane price) and you get the download for the PS3 and PS4 versions and it's can use your saves and unlocks from the PS3 version when you do get a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I think I read somewhere that you could upload games to PS+ in the future. Is that the case ?

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that you could upload games to PS+ in the future. Is that the case ?

What do you mean?

Remote play/streaming the gameplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

:D i love that guy

Varik wrote: »
    At least with the PS3 I can put the downloaded game on more than one consoles, I bought Far cry 3 during the sale for €25 ish and have it going playing co-op on my 2 PS3s. Have Borderlands 1/2 that way as well, and most games where it has a good MP I'll get it digitally, unless is vastly worse than retail in which case I won't bother at all with the digital.

Anything you buy on the Wii U is stuck on that Wii U.

If Sony and the publishers want to make everyone jump on digital for PS4 then they need to push more cross-buy, from the look of the games announced the PS4 will be getting most of what the PS3 gets at first (diablo, BF4, Destiny). Buy BF4 digitally (hopefully not for an insane price) and you get the download for the PS3 and PS4 versions and it's can use your saves and unlocks from the PS3 version when you do get a PS4.

In fairness they doing great pricing with PS vita titles. Some games were cheaper buying it directly from sony digitally and only some were a bit more expensive. Older games droping nicely in price too. So its not like xbox where Halo 3 was 69.99eu digitally and you could pick that up second hand for 5eu and new for 6eu...

If sony will keep up with that pricing, then we are quite safe. They do quite awesome Sales lately too.

What do you mean?

Remote play/streaming the gameplay?

just found it on eurogamer..
    During its press conference Sony mentioned in passing that PS4 would support new business models, including free-to-play and episodic, and offer self-publishing on the Store, but it didn't go into detail

It seems as though it will be possible to self publish on the store. Potentially it might make it easier for developers to put up their games ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

aindriu80 wrote: »
    It seems as though it will be possible to self publish on the store. Potentially it might make it easier for developers to put up their games ?
    Was having a wee dig around on Friday and came across this...
    Why PlayStation?

With the ability to self-publish across PlayStation Network, PS® Vita, and PlayStation Mobile there’s a PlayStation platform for every game. No slotting, no voting. You are the publisher!

Get started in 3 easy Steps!

Fill in and return the Company Information Form.
    Review and return the NDA & Tools Loan Agreement (sent to you once we receive your information).
    Complete registration for PlayStation DevNet.

Become a Registered Developer

Not sure what kind of caveats this comes with but it'll certainly be interesting for indies coming into the next gen.

While, I hope we see a lot of indie stuff I would rather Sony only put content up after checking it rather than allowing everything up and then taking the crap off. There's a lot of stuff on the App store and Google play that shouldn't be.

While, I hope we see a lot of indie stuff I would rather Sony only put content up after checking it rather than allowing everything up and then taking the crap off. There's a lot of stuff on the App store and Google play that shouldn't be.

They could put a filter the store or something. Still it would be potentially be good for a developer or game player, you might get a few games worth playing.

I wouldn't mind checking out the kit and trying to put something together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Agree - some filter or category bundled with maybe a user review system might help limit the amount of dross.
    If they do implement this then a latest section to allow newer games to vault up the charts would be useful.

This thread now has me 2nd guessing putting a pre-order in :)
    A part of me is going "remember the ps3" - another part is going "remember DRAKE - just do IT".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Some nice ultra high res photos of the controller here:

http://ps4daily.com/2013/02/ultra-high-res-photos-of-the-playstation-4-controller/

That and, Sony will be shipping the PS4 with a bundled headset which is great, hopefully its a decent one as voice quality on PS3 sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

How many have actually pre ordered? I haven't done so yet. Although for just €20 and adding a bit of excitement, I might.

I have a feeling sales of the PS4 will be a lot higher than when the Wii U was released. The average joe will immediately know that the PS4 is the successor to the 3. There won't be any messing around with the name to confuse them to just think it's another iteration/add on.

shuffles03 wrote: »
    How many have actually pre ordered? I haven't done so yet. Although for just €20 and adding a bit of excitement, I might.

Don't trust Gamestop not to **** us over on price at release so I'll wait till Amazon put it up and then may cancel and pre-order somewhere else if I'm able.

Do Amazon charge for pre ordering?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do Amazon charge for pre ordering?

No they charge you when there about to ship.

No they charge you when there about to ship.

Might do that so

Might do that so

You can cancel right up until it ships, but that could happen earlier than they say so it's not that good to be leaving it to the last minute.

I wait till I see what prices the brick and mortar shops have bundles for and then see if I can get on a list, It may mean that I stuck ordering from amazon with the inherent delay but it's better than putting money down only to find that the shop is charging a fortune for it.

Edit: while it's not up yet Amazon have put up for their email alerts.

Dunno, i did came around a bit on ps4, and i do have a small fund for "next gen console", which i will top up when i got few quid.

Though pre-ordering now is a bit mad. Not enough info, no confirmed price, thing is not even exist in physical form, only as fixed hardware in PC form, we dont know what competition has to offer, what release games will we get? List goes on and on.
    99% i will end up with both consoles, but i want those big boys to fight for my money and give me the best deal. If we preorder now and will eat another hype pie, then why should they try harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I'll wait until after E3 to decide which one I'll get.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I pre ordered in my local Smyth's..... :o

20 squid, first on the list :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement