Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I'm amazed at how you guys were slating it a few days ago, now ye're talking about pre-ordering it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Dunno, i did came around a bit on ps4, and i do have a small fund for "next gen console", which i will top up when i got few quid

That's a good idea actually, 20c a day for 6 years adds up to €437 which should be enough for the next gen console, whatever that may be in 6 years!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm amazed at how you guys were slating it a few days ago, now ye're talking about pre-ordering it :rolleyes:

I knew that would happen,not everyone but a select few posters,I'm really tempted to pre order but I'll wait for a bit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Zavvi have it for pre-order for £399.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

One of the biggest things Sony has to fix for the PlayStation 4 is the web browser.

I think there is a 1000 character limit when making a post with the PS3 (none with a phone). The browser has to support Flash 11, HTML 5, 1080p, stored passwords, imported bookmarks. Also they have to take the character limit off messages to friends. To be honest having a poor browser on a console is terrible since your TV might be 1080p and is certainly bigger than your laptop/PC.

There is a 30 page thread here on this one topic !! I hope Sony get the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

aindriu80 wrote: »
    One of the biggest things Sony has to fix for the PlayStation 4 is the web browser.

I think there is a 1000 character limit when making a post with the PS3 (none with a phone). The browser has to support Flash 11, HTML 5, 1080p, stored passwords, imported bookmarks. Also they have to take the character limit off messages to friends. To be honest having a poor browser on a console is terrible since your TV might be 1080p and is certainly bigger than your laptop/PC.

There is a 30 page thread here on this one topic !! I hope Sony get the message.

I completely forgot about the browser, I agree, the browser on the PS3 was horrible. I only used it for streaming things onto the tv and I found the framerate for videos was stuttering a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Quick question, there were rumours that had prices listed with one being $100 higher so if this was due to having hardware BC would any of you buy it.

€400 for a normal PS4 and €500 for a BC one, would any of you buy it?
    I completely forgot about the browser, I agree, the browser on the PS3 was horrible. I only used it for streaming things onto the tv and I found the framerate for videos was stuttering a lot.

Maybe they'll add Bing.........

People just trying to out smartass each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Who in the name of god judges a console by it's web browser? I didn't use the PS3 web browser because I have a laptop, not because it's ****. No matter how you use it, unless you have a keyboards and mouse (which may not even be supported on the PS4), then there's not point even considering using it.

Also that NeoGAF thread was run by jeff_rigby, and he had a near unhealthy obsession with it, don't take that 30 pages as ANY indication of people's opinions or interest in the browser. It was even shunned by the majority of Gaffers, who would have had more interest in the browser that the mainstream consumer.

Who in the name of god judges a console by it's web browser? I didn't use the PS3 web browser because I have a laptop, not because it's ****. No matter how you use it, unless you have a keyboards and mouse (which may not even be supported on the PS4), then there's not point even considering using it.

Also that NeoGAF thread was run by jeff_rigby, and he had a near unhealthy obsession with it, don't take that 30 pages as ANY indication of people's opinions or interest in the browser. It was even shunned by the majority of Gaffers, who would have had more interest in the browser that the mainstream consumer.

That may well be but it still doesn't mean that Sony should omit the browser or not produce a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I think I'll wait until the price is announced before I pre order. Retailers are clutching at straws and IF they do decide to release two or more SKU's, I'll want to make sure I've got my name down for the right one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

it has 8GB of DDR5 RAM.

Cool!
    The official specs are in for the PlayStation 4 and what we have is, by and large, confirmation ofexisting DigitalFoundry stories - with one outstanding, exciting exception. At the PlayStation Meeting yesterday, Sony revealed that its new console ships with 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, not the 4GB we previously reported.

Early rumours suggested that GDDR5 availability could even limit PS4 to just 2GB of memory, with 4GB at one point looking rather optimistic. What changed at Sony and encouraged them to go all out with its final design is not clear, but the chances are it would have been well aware of the RAM advantage offered up by its upcoming Xbox competitor, which - certainly up to its beta hardware at least - features 8GB of more bandwidth-constrained DDR3. What shouldn't be understated is the amount of extra cash this is going to add to PlayStation 4's BOM (bill of materials) - this is an expensive, massive investment for the company.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-playstation-4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

quad_red wrote: »

So long as they still keep the cost to the consumer down, this could be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT would be nice if MS or sony, makes the hdd ,upgradeable by user.3.5inch sata drive,or Put in an extra hdd slot, panel with 2 screws,
    eg open panel, just put in a 500gig drive,to store, music,game saves ,dlc, etc easy for user to install.
    MS is gonna have to bring out a very powerful console to compete with the ps4,with apps,for twitch.tv, sharing etc
    with 6 or 8 gig ram .

Sony has clarified the 2013 release date in saying that at least one region will be set for PS4 holiday season 2013. Sony Europe still does not know if it will be 2013 or 2014.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393096/sony-europe-remains-unsure-over-ps4-release-date/

Sony has clarified the 2013 release date in saying that at least one region will be set for PS4 holiday season 2013. Sony Europe still does not know if it will be 2013 or 2014.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393096/sony-europe-remains-unsure-over-ps4-release-date/

Doubt they'll know until they're closer to their milestones.

Varik wrote: »
    Doubt they'll know until they're closer to their milestones.

I think Europe will have to wait till 2014 for the release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I think Europe will have to wait till 2014 for the release.

It all depends on AMD's foundries manufacturing rate. They will be making chips for the 2 consoles along with the wiiU they also have their own cpus and gpus to launch in the next few months (They may have delayed the 8000 series launch to later in the year)

its possible that we will have a Nov-Dec launch window globally as MS will make sure they'll have a global release at christmas

I agree with you though i can see a November launch in japan, December in NA and Feb/March launch in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Really hope we're not waiting until 2014 :-(

Really hope we're not waiting until 2014 :-(

if sony has to shaft a region its always Europe, always :mad:

NTMK wrote: »
    if sony has to shaft a region its always Europe, always :mad:

This'll make you feel better.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/25/playstation-plus-plants-vs-zombies-free-for-members

All the US plus users complaining in the comments that the EU gets more than them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well thats us fcuked so, we always get the short end of the stick in europe :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

GO ON THE EUROPE!!!

Do you think they heard me???

(Whispers into the computer).....go on lads.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If true, then balls to that. So we looking at 1 year + to be able to actually have it in our hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

It makes no sense though, Europe has seen more PS3's sold than the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

how long into 2014 are we talking? 2 weeks is hardly the end of the world. anything more than its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

MarkY91 wrote: »
    how long into 2014 are we talking? 2 weeks is hardly the end of the world. anything more than its a joke

Feb at the earliest i imagine January isnt a good month for non-sale goods (post christmas and all that) also the manufacturers of components are usually shut down for a week or two so that could lead to shortages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kevinkeeley

Poo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

MarkY91 wrote: »
    2 weeks?
    Prob a 2-3 month wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I've more of a soft spot for Playstation compared to Xbox, but if the new Xbox comes out first and I've money in my pocket, well that's what I'll be getting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement